General Discussion Forum

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Showing 3,541 to 3,560 of 10,056

AuthorMessage

Millenia

3,541. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Minus the specific evil of the day, that summary does work for the entire show. Changing from enemy X to enemy Y but absolutely nothing else in its basic structure changes in the end does not make for a new plot, good sir.

I disagree with you. Every season separates itself from the others in their own ways, and each has their own specific themes. However, I do respect your opinion, as I hope that you respect mine.

Millenia

AuthorMessage

DarkNinja9

3,542. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

DarkNinja9 wrote:

Dezner wrote:

Hm, are you watching any current season anime at all? There's a few good ones, I hear. ;)

current season? u mean like one piece,naruto or bleach? cuz not rly unless u have some in mind that u wanna share :P

He means the current season premiering in Japan, which also happen to be legally streamed on Non-Japanese Websites like Hulu and Crunchyroll. In fact, these days, we get about 90% of what's shown on Japanese TVs! O_O

ah ok well then no :( sadly idk japanese and not a big fan of subs i know bring on the hate xD but i have watched some subs :P u wouldnt know any good comedy school type animes? still stuck on looking for one like maid sama school rumble anything good D=

my 3DS friend code: 4468-2280-4674

i stopped playing mario kart now and moved on to luigis mansion :P

NNID(WiiU): GhostNinja1373

usually im just on miiverse(drawing) :P

AuthorMessage

Jollykarp

3,543. Posted:

School comedies... I hear (haven't watched for myself) that K-on is good, although that's probably more moe than comedy. Fruits Basket is alright, although there's less comedy and more romance. Honey and Clover is freaking brilliant, although that's uni/art school and it does delve into drama in the later stages. Ouran... Actually go watch Ouran High School Host Club. You'll probably enjoy that the most

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo
"If I was on the highest cliff, the highest riff
And you slipped off the side and clinched on for your life in my grip
I would never, ever let you down" - J Ivy

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

3,544. Posted:

Millenia wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Minus the specific evil of the day, that summary does work for the entire show. Changing from enemy X to enemy Y but absolutely nothing else in its basic structure changes in the end does not make for a new plot, good sir.

I disagree with you. Every season separates itself from the others in their own ways, and each has their own specific themes. However, I do respect your opinion, as I hope that you respect mine.

I don't think you get what I'm saying. None of that changes the basic plot - the framing of the story, the context for rest of the story, which is all a summary really needs to reflect. On top of that, Sailor Moon, no, the entire Super Hero genre is formulaic by nature. Even if they have their differences within the formula, you can still break down each season and find similar events that relate to that formula within. That also applies to many of the episodes within the show. So again, this summary was very appropriate.

And just to clarify, being formulaic is not necessarily be a bad thing. You can technically break down most things into a formula, so I don't see why people should interpret having a formula as bad, as I know some people do.

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

SMEXIZELDAMAN

3,545. Posted:

Hayate no Gotoku is great :)

Lord Head Admin of SonyLife
♥♥♥Videogames are lame♥♥♥

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

3,546. Posted:

SMEXIZELDAMAN wrote:

Hayate no Gotoku is great :)

I love Hayate no Gotoku. One of the best comedy manga out there, easily.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

3,547. Posted:

Oh, there really is a manga series that follows the K-on! girls in college and Azusa in Highschool! They're licensed for America too! Oh boy, I can't wait!! X3

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

3,548. Posted:

I'm in the mood for watching...pretty much anything. So how about somebody tosses something my way and I'll give it a go? I promise I won't be picky. Just so long as it's not sick and morbid that'll leave me with nightmares for the rest of my life like Elfin Lied, When They Cried, or End of Evangelion.

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

DarkNinja9

3,549. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

I'm in the mood for watching...pretty much anything. So how about somebody tosses something my way and I'll give it a go? I promise I won't be picky. Just so long as it's not sick and morbid that'll leave me with nightmares for the rest of my life like Elfin Lied, When They Cried, or End of Evangelion.

lol aww how come elfin lied gave you nightmares? to gory? but since i couldnt find a anime to watch i ended up finding one called "his and hers circumstances" its a 1999 anime xP but seems alright funny to

thats all i got so far =[

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

3,550. Posted:

"Too gory" is putting it lightly. That show was down right cruel.

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

RR529

3,551. Posted:

Toonami Saturday night!

Bleach - Repeat. Missed it.

Naruto - Missed it.

ThunderCats - Things seem to be moving along smoothly. This episode seemed pretty par for the course.

*Samurai 7 - OK, so the bandits have been defeated, & the village protected (which was kinda sorta the whole point of the show), but they're still moving with the show. Okay, I guess.

Sym-Bionic Titan - I've grown to actually like this quite a bit. I just love how Octus acts in social situations.

Eureka 7 - Getting a little weird here (although it's been heading this way for some time). The whole mountain blowing up was pretty cool, though.

Tenchi Muyo GXP - It's finally starting to get into that classic Tenchi mold (took it way too long), although the story isn't nearly on the same level as the classic series'.

Currently Playing:

InFamous (PS3)
Picross e2 (3DS eShop)

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

3,552. Posted:

I forgot how good the musical score was in Gundam Unicorn. I'm not even a big fan of musical scores, even the ones in Gundam, but I could listen to this all day!

Does anybody know of any other good anime scores?

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Intrepid

3,553. Posted:

In the span of 20 hours nonstop I have just watched the entire 1st season (25 episodes) of Sword Art Online (SAO), and I must say it is my favorite anime. Has anyone else seen it?

Support the localization of Ace Attorney Investigations 2!
My Zeldaloggery
Diehard Accel World fan! Check it out here.
“Incarnation isn’t about desire! It’s about hope!” – Haruyuki Arita

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

3,554. Posted:

Intrepid wrote:

In the span of 20 hours nonstop I have just watched the entire 1st season (25 episodes) of Sword Art Online (SAO), and I must say it is my favorite anime. Has anyone else seen it?

Really? Even the second half? Everyone I know who was watching it said it got really boring and should've stopped by episode 14. I'm surprised. What did you like about it?

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

DarkNinja9

3,555. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

"Too gory" is putting it lightly. That show was down right cruel.

rly? i just thought there was to much blood and crazy how they can just cut parts like that xP

but i thought higurashi no koro ni was cruel and crazy o.O

AuthorMessage

Pogocoop

3,556. Posted:

Intrepid wrote:

Brofist I really enjoyed it. It's for sure in my top 10.

3DS FC: 0774-4269-5253Name:Tony

Nintendo network ID : Pogocoop

Obsesive Vocaloid fan.

AuthorMessage

Intrepid

3,557. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Intrepid wrote:

Really? Even the second half? Everyone I know who was watching it said it got really boring and should've stopped by episode 14. I'm surprised. What did you like about it?

Prepare for a long read. :)

Yeah, the second arc wasn't as good, but still enjoyable. I liked how they really brought in so many elements and terms from RPGs, and created a story that was very unique. While it is a concept that has been done many times before (dying in a game world means dying for real), SAO still managed to make it fresh. I liked how over the course of two years in real life, the human players went from utter chaos and confusion to adjusting to the game world and organizing themselves, working to methodically clear all 100 floors of the tower and achive the impossible: escape back home. It is very difficult, and the characters experience grief and loss along the way. The world they inhabit is also very aestheticly pleasing, and while the characters are imprisioned within the virtual world, it doesn't feel that way, as the evironments within are so radically different that is seems the characters have the freedom to travel and do as they please.

From there though, the main thing that kept me watching was the relationship between Kirito and Asuna. It felt very genuine, and their devotion to each other was very heartwarming. Their feelings for each other transcended the "fakeness" of the virtual world and became real, and you end up wanting to root for them. This is evident in episodes 10 & 11, and also in the 2nd arc, where Kirito went to great lengths to infiltrate the World Tree. 

That also delves into another part of why I like this series: The character's motivations. Some characters are looking out only for themselves, some feel obligated to help because they are high leveled, some want to live in the virtual world instead, some want to kill other players for the sheer fun of it, and Kirito and Asuna are driven be the desire to protect each other, placing their parner's needs first, and their own needs and those of others second, something that has not been  mirrored by any of the other characters, and with so many reasons to press on in the face of dispair, the series is essentially asking the viewer "why". What drives someone to fight? Power? Love? Friendship? Home? Entrapment? EXP? Loot? The list goes on and on.

This does not limit itself to the players, but to the gamemaster, Kayaba Akihiko, as well. He had no reason to do this to these people, no ulterior motive, other than the sole reason that he enjoyed doing so. To create a world that he could manipulate at will and have the power to do anything to it. While this isn't as complex or intricate as other anime plots, it doesn't need to be, as it is perfectly believeable, and while this means that there isn't as much emphasis on plot, it does not by any means mean that the story suffers. In fact, this only adds to the mystery in the story, as the player characters view him as a mad man and try to understand why he did this to them. The series likes to focus on the psychology of people a lot, and that only adds to make it a deeper experience.

There are a few things that bother me about the series, but they are few and far between, and hardly hamper the experience. This would be that Kirito relies on physical force and brute strengh a little too much, and that they don't spend as much time showing or dealing with the real world. The real world is very dark and drab, and I feel that was done on purpose to contrast the vibrant environment within SOA. Some more backstory and a better look at their world would be nice, and I think that is being addressed as the series moves on.

I did not intend, when I first started to write this, to make it as long and in-depth as it became, but this only goes to demonstrate how much I came to like the series, and I would recommend it to anyone who has not given it a chance. At this point there are only 25 episodes, but you don't need to watch the 2nd story arc if you don't want. Episodes 1-14 is sufficient, but those who end up liking it may want to continue watching to see the characters reunite in the real world.
So those are my thoughts. Anyone who has seen it who agrees or has a differing opinion I would like to hear, and to those who havent, you should give it a chance. It is a wonderful series.

Edited on by Intrepid

My Zeldaloggery

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

3,558. Posted:

Detective Conan Movie 16 was fun. Kinda ridiculous at points but fun.

It's sad what's happened to the series for American fans though. And continues to happen for any American fans.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

3,559. Posted:

@Interpred

Thanks for the long explanation, though I'll admit it took me all day to read. :P I'll definitely get to Sword Art Online some time soon, though I'll probably stop at episode 14. No offense, but even you couldn't make the second half sound that appealing.

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Intrepid

3,560. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

@Interpred

Thanks for the long explanation, though I'll admit it took me all day to read. :P I'll definitely get to Sword Art Online some time soon, though I'll probably stop at episode 14. No offense, but even you couldn't make the second half sound that appealing.

That's fine. I wouldn't try to convince you to watch the second arc, as even I didn't find it as enjoyable, but maybe watch ep 25. At this point in time it is assumed to be the finale (even though there is still a lot of source material from the light novels), so it brings a lot of closure to the series. For those characters that you don't recognize, it is pretty easy to figure out who the villan is and who the allies were.

My Zeldaloggery