Forums

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Posts 3,421 to 3,440 of 11,967

RR529

Toonami Saturday night!

• Bleach - Missed the first half, but was able to see the Vizoreds come & kick some @ss.
  • Tenchi Muyo GXP - It feels strange seeing something Tenchi related on TV again (and on Toonami no less). Great to see the series back where it belongs (even if it's a spin-off of the original). Although, it has some of the worst glossing/blurring I've ever seen.
  • Samurai 7 - Awesome episode! The villagers kicked some serious @ss! Can't wait to see how their next plan unfolds.
  • ThunderCats - I'm actually really getting into this, which is quite the nice suprise. Sucks knowing it's not going to have a conclusive end, though.
  • Sym-Bionic Titan - Creepy episode O_O. Quite amazed about how high the production values are in this (considering it's an American action cartoon). Starting to enjoy this show as well.
  • Eureka 7 - Why do I get the feeling that they're censoring (language) at random, to make the dialouge seem more intense than it is? When the bike got stolen, Dominic yelled "What in the h*ll do you think you're doing!?", they clearly beeped out "doing" (he had already gotten out "do-" when they beeped). From what I remember, they've never censored E7 (or any anime) before, but ever since they revived the Toonami name, they've beeped a lot. A ton in Deadman Wonderland (probably reasonable in this case), once in Casshern, & three times now in Eureka 7. BTW, it was still a great episode, though

Oh, and they gave Halo 4 a 9/10.

Avatar: Kagero (FE Fates: Birthright)

Currently Playing: Front Mission Evolved

Recently Beat: Metroid Prime: Blast Ball, Dokuro, Halo Anniversary, Monument Valley

RainbowCrasher

anyone else like black butler???

"Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"

RevolverLink

I liked Black Butler a lot more than I thought I would going into it, although I still think it's a "girl's show" masquerading as a shounen (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Also, I'm really enjoying the Yu Yu Hakusho manga - I wasn't expecting so much of the early story to be so different from the anime.

Edited on by RevolverLink

Avatar - Estelle Bright (Trails in the Sky)
Currently Playing - Suikoden II
The Revloggery

Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

Retro_on_theGo

Ever since Borders closed it left a sad hole in me. I think I've finally found a bookstore to fill that gap. Books-A-Million (also known as BAM!) They got a great, just fantastic, wide selection of manga and other kinds of books. Sure, Amazon is cheaper in some cases and fast delivery, but there's just something I love about being able to go to a retail store, hang around, browse through books, chat with others, and start reading as soon as I buy.
Think I'll pick up vol. 2 of Omnibus CCS soon.

Edited on by Retro_on_theGo

RevolverLink

Yeah, Borders' closing did not sit well with my sister. She's the big manga person in my family, and she loved their selection.

The Revloggery

SMEXIZELDAMAN

Lol so Ichigo 100% is really infuriating at times but also good I'm bout to start watching the One Piece anime. Subbed or dubbed?

Lord Head Admin of SonyLife
♥♥♥Videogames are lame♥♥♥

RevolverLink

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Someone PLEASE recommend a fun but reasonably short adventure anime or a touching but won't make me cry anime. Or a good comedy. (I'm thinking Binbogami ga is the name of one I'm thinking about?) Now. Please. ;____; I haven't watched anything in a while now.

Maybe you might want to give Usagi (Bunny) Drop a try? It's quite short (only 11 episodes), and I personally found to be both very sweet and very touching. And also pretty funny at times.

The Revloggery

Magikarp3

RevolverLink wrote:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Someone PLEASE recommend a fun but reasonably short adventure anime or a touching but won't make me cry anime. Or a good comedy. (I'm thinking Binbogami ga is the name of one I'm thinking about?) Now. Please. ;____; I haven't watched anything in a while now.

Maybe you might want to give Usagi (Bunny) Drop a try? It's quite short (only 11 episodes), and I personally found to be both very sweet and very touching. And also pretty funny at times.

Seconded, Bunny Drop looks to be one of the most relaxing anime I've seen for a while. (that being said, don't ever read the manga, only watch the anime. Seriously, don't even wiki the manga.) If you haven't hit up Mushishi yet, you really need to - it's half adventure half touching at 24 episodes.

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo

always thought I'd change to Gyarados after I turned 20 but hey, this is more fitting I guess. (also somebody registered under the original Magikarp name and I can't get back to it anymore orz)

RR529

Da*n, now I'm going to have to look it up on Wikipedia, just out of curiosity (telling someone not to look something up, tends to have the opposite effect ).

Recently Beat: Metroid Prime: Blast Ball, Dokuro, Halo Anniversary, Monument Valley

kkslider5552000

SMEXIZELDAMAN wrote:

I'm bout to start watching the One Piece anime. Subbed or dubbed?

both are worthwhile choices tbh

Beyond Good and Evil 2 better be happening! In the meanwhile though, here's a fun little Let's Play of the original. Think you'll like the game if you like Zelda!
LeT's PlAy BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: Slider...

RevolverLink

SMEXIZELDAMAN wrote:

I'm bout to start watching the One Piece anime. Subbed or dubbed?

I think the original Japanese dub has more emotional oomph (for lack of a better expression), and will last you quite a while longer, but the Funimation dub is quite good too. Just avoid the 4Kids dub, whatever you choose.

The Revloggery

RevolverLink

I think I'm going to take a break from Fairy Tail once I finish the arc I'm on. I just don't think I'm in the mood for it right now.

What I am considering, though, is watching something older, from either the 70s or 80s - specifically either Macross or Fist of the North Star, but I'm open to suggestions.

The Revloggery

SMEXIZELDAMAN

Okay, 4kids dub it is

Magikarp3

Finished Kokoro Connect with a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. The first five episodes were flipping brilliant, then the second arc was still good, but it seemed like the creators had exhausted their A-game. Then the third arc was still a cut above mediocre, but it felt bad knowing that the first arc set up something truly amazing

also there was a sequel hook, although that hangs in the balance.

Closing thoughts - really fast character development and one of my favourite casts for a 13 episode drama. Really good in the beginning, just good in the middle, and passable at the end. I usually like shows to climax really well, although in this one's case the first few episodes were just that good that I still managed to enjoy it the whole way through.

Plus now that school is over I don't need to limit myself to relaxing-ish slice of life stuff. (I remember that one time last year when I watched something heavy and then pulled two allnighters to finish it). Steins;Gate and Samurai Champloo both look good, I hope I can finish them before funi pulls them off their youtube though :/

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo

always thought I'd change to Gyarados after I turned 20 but hey, this is more fitting I guess. (also somebody registered under the original Magikarp name and I can't get back to it anymore orz)

Arianabtd

Just finished the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya series and the movie last week.

It was AMAZING. I really enjoyed the comedy and the drama in it.
Crap, now I need to find another anime...

-Idolmasterrrrrr-
Sir Zacharias Barnham is my new husband.
Konata -> Arianabtd

Nintendo Network ID: Ariana900 | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

Konata wrote:

Just finished the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya series and the movie last week.

It was AMAZING. I really enjoyed the comedy and the drama in it.
Crap, now I need to find another anime...

Steins;Gate is a good suggestion. It's similar in terms of having the half-stereotypical quirky anime friends thing with both comedy and interesting sci-fi drama. And also because it's amazing.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Beyond Good and Evil 2 better be happening! In the meanwhile though, here's a fun little Let's Play of the original. Think you'll like the game if you like Zelda!
LeT's PlAy BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: Slider...

SMEXIZELDAMAN

OMG the ending of Ichigo 100% sucked so hard WTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMGOMGOMG >:[ Eff it I quit

RR529

Toonami Saturday night!

• Bleach - Great episode! The good guys have regained the upper hand, for now.
  • Tenchi Muyo GXP - OK, this show's just plain cheesy, but I can't not watch, lol .
  • Samurai 7 - Great episode! I'm really enjoying how they're having the green haired kid (can't remember his name) handling his first time on the battlefield (it's reminding me of Luke, from the beginning of Tales of the Abyss). Also, headless Kikucho (robot guy) = Awesome!
  • ThunderCats - Finally, real insight into the past, and finding out what the goal of the series is (although it's a goal we'll probably never see). But, having a humanoid species based on like every kind of animal there is, & having them be from different planets (assumed), is kinda corny. It also makes you think, what is Mum-Ra a mummy of, & why is he a (living) mummy in the first place? Now I guess I'm just overthinking things
  • Sym-Bionic Titan - Good episode. It's probably just me, but I want to say that the three underlings to the main cheerleader, could have possibly been a reference to Dexter's Lab (given who the creator is). Again, it's probably just me.
  • Eureka 7 - Pretty much a recap episode, with some hints as to where they're going to be going in the future.

Some other things of note:

They reviewed Borderlands 2, & gave it a 9/10.

FMA:B finished up it's run, meaning they should be replacing it next week (providing they stick to their currently held promise of never letting anything have a direct second run). Since it's in one of the hour long slots in the second half of the schedule, I doubt it'll be anything new (also since they just premiered GXP last week). My guess is that either Deadman Wonderland or Casshern Sins will be brought back for that spot. Hoping for DW, because I enjoy it more, but it's probably going to be CS, since it'll fill out an hour long timeslot much better (they could also bring back GitS, but since it's had multiple runs on AS, as well as the one it's had on Toonami, I don't think that would be as smart as bringing back DW or CS, which only have one run apiece).

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic