General Discussion Forum

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Showing 3,381 to 3,400 of 10,489

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

3,381. Posted:

So for those of you who follow a manga series how do you get your manga? Do you buy the issues, check them out at a library, or read them online?

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

Undead_terror

3,382. Posted:

Jon_Talbain wrote:

undead_terror wrote:

Jon_Talbain wrote:

Okay, Episode 4 of Fairy Tail was actually pretty impressive. Not only did they make the secret of Daybreak actually surprising and creative, but the plot has finally started moving forward, too, if only by a few inches. Just when I was letting the frustration get to me, too.

I stopped at episode 136, got boring.

Well, that's 5 times longer than it took for Bleach and Naruto to get boring.

Different people, different tastes.

I am the zombie god that controls zombie in both games and real life...FEAR ME!
Nintendo Friends website/forums I eShop Gurus I Public Chat I Random Game Thread I The graveyard (backloggery)
Currently owns Mario & Luigi Dream Team 3DS XL...no Wii U yet.

3DS Friend Code: 5198-2878-6360 | Nintendo Network ID: Undead_terror

AuthorMessage

RR529

3,383. Posted:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

So for those of you who follow a manga series how do you get your manga? Do you buy the issues, check them out at a library, or read them online?

Online. Although I hate it when you find a good translation, and 20, 40, 50 chapers in or whatever, the site switches to a source with noticeably much worse translation.

Currently Playing:

Godzilla: Smash 3 (AND)
Summoners War: Sky Arena (AND)
Salvo Saga (AND)

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

3,384. Posted:

RR529 wrote:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Online. Although I hate it when you find a good translation, and 20, 40, 50 chapers in or whatever, the site switches to a source with noticeably much worse translation.

Not much can be done about that. Probably means the previous group dropped it or was disbanded, and another group had to pick it up.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

3,385. Posted:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

A mix of options 1 and 3.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage

RR529

3,386. Posted:

Here's a question. Which anime character do you think is useless, but the creator tries to pass off as important?

I'd have to say Koga (from InuYasha). Seeing as the series is more or less serious Ranma 1/2, if you will, it seems like they felt the need to shoehorn in a "Ryoga" character, although this series didn't need one.

He fails his main role as a romantic rival, as the person he's trying to woo, never shows the slightest romantic interest in him (meaning his presence never effects the relationship of the main characters in a meaningful way). It's just that he (and InuYasha) are both too dense to realize this.

He fails as a general rival, because InuYasha already has a better (and more important) rival in the form of Sesshomaru.

The only thing that makes him important, is his two jewel shards, which of course aren't an aspect of him personally (give the two shards to another side character, and I can't think of anything major that would change). Seriously, I can't think of many things he personally contributed to the story (& the things he did do, didn't need to done by him).

As proof of this, when he lost his jewel shards (about halfway through the second series), he ran off, never to be seen again. He was the only major side character that was completely absent from the final battle (hinting that he may be actually pretty weak, without the shards).

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:

Salvo Saga (AND)

AuthorMessage

Magikarp3

3,387. Posted:

Useless important characters? I can't think of many atm except for Team Rocket's Wobbuffet. Seriously, Wobbuffet did nothing in nearly every episode it featured in except to chime in on every character. It was funny the first few times, and then it became quite annoying.

Also, has anyone else noticed that Funimation is pulling its dubs off youtube? The subs are still there but some episodes are missing too. What's up with that?

I can't watch the BECK dub anymore and that makes me :(.

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo

always thought I'd change to Gyarados after I turned 20 but hey, this is more fitting I guess. (also somebody registered under the original Magikarp name and I can't get back to it anymore orz)

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

AuthorMessage

RR529

3,388. Posted:

^I wouldn't necessarily say they tried passing off Wobbuffet as important. The point was the joke, and it was successful with the joke (overboard as it may be).

Also, that in itself doesn't sound like they were trying to make it look important at all.

Currently Playing:

Salvo Saga (AND)

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

3,389. Posted:

Lucy in Fairy Tail.
That Kid in Claymore.
Shinji Ikari in Evangelion
Every Married woman in Dragon Ball Z
The Red-haired girl in Bleach

Naruto Uzimaki can also be more of a hinderance than a help, and Kagome's only major skill is finding the Jewel Shards.

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

SMEXIZELDAMAN

3,390. Posted:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Library. Unless they don't have them at the library in their system, then I read online like TWGOK.

Lord Head Admin of SonyLife
♥♥♥Videogames are lame♥♥♥

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

3,391. Posted:

Magikarp wrote:

Useless important characters? I can't think of many atm except for Team Rocket's Wobbuffet. Seriously, Wobbuffet did nothing in nearly every episode it featured in except to chime in on every character. It was funny the first few times, and then it became quite annoying.

Also, has anyone else noticed that Funimation is pulling its dubs off youtube? The subs are still there but some episodes are missing too. What's up with that?

I can't watch the BECK dub anymore and that makes me :(.

They only keep them up for so long. Especially dubs. Btw, Funimation has a Youtube channel? What? Do they put their recent stuff up there, too?

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

3,392. Posted:

RR529 wrote:

Here's a question. Which anime character do you think is useless, but the creator tries to pass off as important?

I could argue quite a few Conan characters, especially during the actual cases where everyone other than Conan (and whichever other cool detective character might be around during a case) often is either there because of police work related to the case or to occasionally unintentionally give clues/exposition for parts of a case/get stuff ready to show off how a murder trick could work etc. But the problem (especially in later years) with the importance of characters in the series is just not even bothering with using a character or forgetting that a character blatantly IS important, so it's kinda sorta the opposite problem.

Rock Lee after season 2 of the first Naruto series and Ino and Choji during the Immortals arc in Shippuden. Iruka-sensei too. And Tsunade's assistant.

Tristan Taylor in Yugioh. If it wasn't for the Abridged Series, I doubt any of you would even know what I was talking about.

AuthorMessage

RR529

3,393. Posted:

Just finished chapter 73 of Bleach. Finally in the soul society.

Currently Playing:

Salvo Saga (AND)

AuthorMessage

Magikarp3

3,394. Posted:

started School Rumble a couple of days ago, and I'm not really feelin' it. Does it get better later on? Or is it just more awkward cannot-spit-it-out-awkward-humour?

Also, finished Spice And Wolf season 1 a few days ago with mixed feelings. The economic slice-of-life stuff was great. The supernatural thriller elements, also pretty well done. Both at the same time? Didn't mesh that well. It felt weird to see Lawrence smiling after a good sale in one episode and then running for his life in the next, especially when they both have that annoying and catchy end tune.

seven apples on a ... ah dammit

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo

always thought I'd change to Gyarados after I turned 20 but hey, this is more fitting I guess. (also somebody registered under the original Magikarp name and I can't get back to it anymore orz)

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

AuthorMessage

SMEXIZELDAMAN

3,395. Posted:

Magikarp wrote:

started School Rumble a couple of days ago, and I'm not really feelin' it. Does it get better later on? Or is it just more awkward cannot-spit-it-out-awkward-humour?

Also, finished Spice And Wolf season 1 a few days ago with mixed feelings. The economic slice-of-life stuff was great. The supernatural thriller elements, also pretty well done. Both at the same time? Didn't mesh that well. It felt weird to see Lawrence smiling after a good sale in one episode and then running for his life in the next, especially when they both have that annoying and catchy end tune.

seven apples on a ... ah dammit

Spice and Wolf is great! >:0 Horo is the best and she is my waifu! >:0

Lord Head Admin of SonyLife
♥♥♥Videogames are lame♥♥♥

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

3,396. Posted:

Magikarp wrote:

As far as I know, that's supposed to be School Rumble's schtick. Hence why I've avoided watching it. I'm also avoiding Love Hina for the same reasons, despite some Anime fans I know putting it up there with Tenchi Muyo.

Did I mention Fairy Tail's gotten better? Now that the disappointment has worn off, I can see it's actually a pretty creative action show. They keep the battles and bad guys interesting, and I like how unpredictable the situations are. The humor's gotten better as well (or at least I've gotten used to it). I'll definitely give it a few more episodes before I go back to finish up a few shows I had on my platter.

Oh, and my VOTOMS sets arrived today. I ended up getting 3 of the 4, since they were cheap. I really look forward to watching them. Too bad they're Christmas presents, but they'll be worth the wait. Now I just need to look out for the 4th set...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

RevolverLink

3,397. Posted:

Quick question - Does Fairy Tail start to "pick up" in quality as it goes along? I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but I'm 18 episodes in (end of the Galuna Island arc) and it just hasn't grabbed me like I hoped it would, or done anything I haven't seen before so far. It's cute, but if it stays at this same level, I can't see myself sticking with it for a 150+ episodes.

I can happily say, though, that my venture into the Case Closed manga is going much more smoothly. My only nit to pick would be the Anglo-American names for characters that are very clearly Japanese living in Japan (I mean, it's not even like any of the minor characters/locations have been Americanized at all...), but I'm enjoying all of the cases too much to really care about that.

RR529 wrote:

Just about any of the human characters in Bleach, especially after the Soul Society Invasion arc. At best, you get to see Orihime used as a macguffin and/or Chad & Uryu show up just long enough get their heads bashed in. Actually, most of the characters feel pretty unimportant and underdeveloped in Bleach.

"Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?" "That is the only time a man can be brave."
The Revloggery

3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

3,398. Posted:

RevolverLink wrote:

Quick question - Does Fairy Tail start to "pick up" in quality as it goes along? I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but I'm 18 episodes in (end of the Galuna Island arc) and it just hasn't grabbed me like I hoped it would, or done anything I haven't seen before so far. It's cute, but if it stays at this same level, I can't see myself sticking with it for a 150+ episodes.

Depends on what you mean. I know I'm not as far in as you, but even if it remains as a generic-but-well-done action show, I'd happily stick with it, just as long as it doesn't get worse. I think it's pretty creative already. The fights are well-choreographed, they're excited and over-the-top, and not like the scenarios are things that I've heard a million times. I never guessed what the Wind guy's real target was, for instance, especially considering what the flute thing could do.

I should probably leave this to those who have seen more, but I dunno, I've always seen shounen as dumb-fun entertainment with the occasional emotional and mental curveballs thrown in. If that's what you're expecting, I don't see why Fairy Tail doesn't already fit the bill. And to expect more just doesn't sound fair considering the genre, since One Piece is basically the only exception I can think of.

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi
Scary Wolfrun...
...Scared Wolfrun

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

RevolverLink

3,399. Posted:

Usually I eat up even non-OP shounen like popcorn, but Fairy Tail hasn't inspired the same hunger to reel off 5+ episodes at a time like I usually do with these shows. I think my biggest problem is that I haven't been terribly invested in any of the characters as of yet, so I care less about whatever struggles they happen to run into, regardless of how action-y or absurd they are. I hope that'll change once some character development really starts kicking in (which has already started a bit with Gray), but right now it feels like there's a large cast that hasn't been given a whole lot to do, for the most part. I'm also not big on Happy - although I have enjoyed the silly Lucy-talking-through-the-clock gag each time they've done it.

Or maybe I, I dunno, just have shounen fatigue or something.

Edited on by RevolverLink

"Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?" "That is the only time a man can be brave."
The Revloggery

3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

3,400. Posted:

RevolverLink wrote:

I can happily say, though, that my venture into the Case Closed manga is going much more smoothly. My only nit to pick would be the Anglo-American names for characters that are very clearly Japanese living in Japan (I mean, it's not even like any of the minor characters/locations have been Americanized at all...), but I'm enjoying all of the cases too much to really care about that.

Fantastic. What volume are you on?