Forums

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Posts 12,641 to 12,660 of 13,141

jedgamesguy

Please, please do not judge. I am really sorry but the only anime I've seen is Persona 4 the Animation. Even worse, I loved the English dub.

I've also only read the Legend of Zelda manga series by Akira Himekawa. So I'm as inexperienced as they come.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Maxz

I was under the impression that I liked anime at least a little bit, but apparently I don’t like anime at all on account of all the anime that I like from @jump‘s list.

That said, I’ve never really been able to get into any of Shinkai’s stuff, despite the impressive visuals. I’m partial to a bit of Hosoda though (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and Summer Wars are classics, and Wolf Children isn’t bad either).

As has been mentioned, Ping Pong is definitely a really good ‘artsy’ sports anime, which I’d thoroughly recommend to anyone. Haikyuu isn’t particularly ‘artsy’, but is still a really solid and well observed sports anime. Perhaps I’ll lose my ‘I don’t like anime’ elitist badge for recommending it, but I think it’s really good.

The Tatami Galaxy and ‘The Night is Short, Walk on Girl’ are both decidedly in the artsy camp (give me my badge back), and are awkward and weird and splendid (although admittedly the former is a little too awkward for me at times). Mushi-Shi is... maybe artsy. I’m not sure. But much like many Ghibli films, it’s very good at presenting the landscape as not only a stage but also a key proponent of the story. The characters and the world in which they live and thoroughly intertwined, and despite its supernatural elements, I think it’s ultimately a very naturalistic story. Or series of stories.

And then on the topic of nature, we have Silver Spoon, which is set in the sprawling wilderness of Hokkaido on an agricultural college. It’s by the same author as Fullmetal Alchemist, and despite the change in scale from world saving adventure to cow milking classes, there are still elements on common. FMA was all about hierarchies of life, and Silver Spoon is sort of the same but with chickens. ...Okay, I’m stretching the similarities, but I think they’re both really excellent.

If there is anyone else that apparently doesn’t like anime on account of all the anime they like, or indeed, actually likes anime despite liking some of jump’s favourite anime, then I’d recommend all of the above.

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

jump

@Maxz Yeah, I really like some of the ones you named, particularly The Night is Short, Walk on Gir and Mushishi. Your description of Mushishi is dead on, I remember first hearing about it and thinking of it as ghost detective series as it was explained to me poorly, but really it's more like a nature program but with David Attenborough saving the day at the end of the episode. Actually my description of Mushshi is terrible too.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

JoeDiddley

@theJGG I finished watching Persona 4 last week and I really enjoyed it. A lot more than the Persona 5 anime.

And I’m yet to read any manga, but I would like to.

Switch: SW-2923-8106-2126
Steam ID: joediddley
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JoeDiddley

RR529

I'd say my favorites would be Eureka 7, InuYasha, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Rurouni Kenshin, and I have a big nostalgic soft spot for DBZ. I did really like what I've seen of SOA, but I kind of fell off after the Gun Gale arc.

In terms of movies it would have to be Ghost in the Shell, InuYasha: Castle Beyond the Looking Glass, & Summer Wars. I also had a lot of fun with the new Broly movie, even though I wasn't big on Dragon Ball Super as a show. I know a lot of people aren't big on them, but I've liked the Evangelion rebuild films I've seen (the first two).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

kkslider5552000

My favorites are Detective Conan, Haruhi, One Piece, Welcome to the NHK! and The World God Only Knows. Clearly I have a bias towards impossibly long shonen series and shorter series that involve nerds and skeptics failing miserably.

Spirited Away is my favorite anime movie. Which admittedly is a very obvious choice.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

GamingTelescope

My favorite has been Lupin the Third. It's about a rag-tag group of theives gong on adventures and heists, all while on the run from the law. The main reason why I love it is the characters, espesually Lupin, who can be fun, cool and hilarious all at the same time!I got introduced to it by browsing wikipedia and saved me through the craziness of last year. Some of the movies and tv shows are defidently more family-freindly than others, but it's all seriously good stuff and there's a version of Lupin for everyone! (he's been around for over 50 years.)

Oh, and if your a detective conan fan, they have had two crossover movies.

The ones I'd recommend are...
The movie the Castle of Cagliostro
the newest movie Lupin the third: the first.
Lupin the third part 4 or part 5 (doesn't matter what order you watch any of the movies or seasons.)
If those hook you you should check out the other parts. And if you want a more violent and bloody take then you could go with the island of assassins or the R rated movies and spin-off series. But I prefer the lighter take.

Oh, and Cowboy Bebop, Medal gear solid, inspector gadget and possibly even Indiana Jones were heavily inspired by this series. But especially Bebop.

Edited on by GamingTelescope

I am a Big Nintendo fan and spend much of my freetime playing Mario, Zelda and more! My other hobby is my Gaming website, GamingTelescope https://gamingtelescope.blogspot.com/ and looking at Gaming News on NintendoLife!

jedgamesguy

@JoeDiddley It's frickin' awesome. I enjoyed watching "funny moments" from P4A, but the more tender heartfelt moments are as good, if not better. I don't know if I'll watch P5A, because the animation quality looks pretty dismal and grey at times.

Currently playing:
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Persona 4 Golden
Dragon Quest XI S
F1 23
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Blooper987

So like I said I decided to start Gun Gale (the one separate from SAO) before Alicization.

I thought I would watch two episodes to see the start...

Decided I would watch the next two...

Caved in and watched a couple more...

And next thing I know it’s 1:30 AM and I finished it.

Very good!!! Better than everything in the two seasons of SAO I’ve seen so far! I highly recommend this for anyone, even if you hate SAO!

Switch Friend Code: SW-0772-1845-0995

jump

@GamingTelescope The Castle of Cagliostro is a great flick. I find Lupin the Third a really curious thing though as it's arguably more famous than Arsene Lupin which he's loosely based on, at least in non-French countries. It's like how The Pink Panther cartoons are arguably more famous than the Inspector Clouseau films which he came from.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

GamingTelescope

@jump Yeah, especially in Italy and Japan. Pretty cool! I forgot to mention that Cagliostro and the second half of part 1 was directed by Hayao Miyazaki.

Edited on by GamingTelescope

I am a Big Nintendo fan and spend much of my freetime playing Mario, Zelda and more! My other hobby is my Gaming website, GamingTelescope https://gamingtelescope.blogspot.com/ and looking at Gaming News on NintendoLife!

kkslider5552000

Yeah Lupin's really great. It's not a series I'd ever try to watch even the majority of stuff that's come out from it, but I'm almost always happy with what I do watch of it.

Coincidentally, SAO:Gun Gale and Lupin part 5 are the two anime that I got into not even two years ago and just never got around to watching past the first few episodes for...some reason. Weird.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

SquidOnTheRise

I am looking for an anime but i cant remember the name. Do some of you know about old school anime?

SquidOnTheRise

jump

@SquidOnTheRise it would be helpful if you mentioned something about the anime ;p

Nicolai wrote:

SquidOnTheRise

@Blooper987 @jump

From what i remember it starts with some kid who rent a vhs from a store and when they play it, it transports them to another dimension or make appear some kind of character im not too sure. I know its vague but i dont remember much

Edited on by SquidOnTheRise

SquidOnTheRise

jump

@SquidOnTheRise can you please try breaking it down some more as the details you gave aren’t great. What decade, was it dubbed, it was more mature or kiddish etc?

From your description it sounds like an isekai anime so if you're desperate enough to know google lists of isekai anime and go through them til you find it.

Nicolai wrote:

SquidOnTheRise

@jump

The thing is i dont remember much and i probably didnt see much of it either, thats why i need you 😁

Its old though, probably 80s or 90s

But thanks anyway, i'll try to browse through isekai 👍

Edited on by SquidOnTheRise

SquidOnTheRise

BruceCM

Good luck, I think there's quite a lot of that....

SW-4357-9287-0699
Steam: Bruce_CM

jump

It could be worse, imagine googling anime VHS and trying to find it through all of those results ;p

Nicolai wrote:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic