Forums

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Posts 12,601 to 12,620 of 13,138

Blooper987

@RR529 I had no idea this even existed😂. Guess I’ll have to watch it after I’m finished with Inuyasha!

Switch Friend Code: SW-0772-1845-0995

jump

I've been rewatching the Studio Ghibli films at the moment mainly as I've seen them before so I can put them on for background noise whilst it also being sorta new now as I'm watching the dubbed versions this time. I've just found out there's two English dubs of Arrietty, one is British and the other is American. However the British one seems to have a lot more star power to it despite Disney doing the American dub.

I've also failed at my third attempt of watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, it's just too similar to the first one so I struggle to watch past the early episodes.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

kkslider5552000

jump wrote:

I've also failed at my third attempt of watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, it's just too similar to the first one so I struggle to watch past the early episodes.

It's worth getting past them but those early episodes are really bad. They only exist to be a worse version of what the original anime did (and not just because of the much worse pacing of that compared to the rest of the series) for the sake of calling it a complete adaptation.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

jump

@kkslider5552000 Yeah I heard it picks up once you're past the early episodes, they are still a chore to get through though. I may just skip them entirely and start watching from when it deviates from the other show.

Like you said they are just a worse version of what was already done, so that combined with me liking but not loving the original is why I'm struggling with it. I just keep thinking to myself I could start watching something new instead or I can multi-task and read whilst the early episodes are on but then I just forgot to keep watching the show.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Heavyarms55

Re:Zero continues to utterly blow me away. It's a level of production quality that simply incomparable. I've watched literally hundreds of anime over the last 2 decades. There's simply nothing that has so consistently blown me away like this show has.

I feel that trying to describe the plot of the show, to anyone who hasn't seen it, is doing the show a disservice. There's so much to this show that summarizing it is like eating at a world renown restaurant where the head chef personally dedicates himself to serving his absolute best and saying "I had a steak, it was tasty and the waiter was nice!" But even worse.

I feel like Re:Zero might actually change the whole industry too. The way they are pushing the absolute limits of what is normal in seasonal anime, the way they aren't wasting any time on opening and ending themes, recaps and previews every episode. The massively higher production quality in sound, animation, everything is so much higher than almost anything else around. There is a level of detail in this show that is astounding. The way the music and sound effects are so expertly woven into each scene, the small detail work on the characters, the fluid animations... Watching an episode of it and then watching most anything else currently airing is almost jarring sometimes. And that's not me being harsh toward other shows. It's not that other stuff airing is bad, it's that Re:Zero has been consistently going above and beyond. The show obviously has a much higher budget than the average show. It simply has to. I hope other studios start following White Fox's lead. I don't imagine it's even possible to match the writing of Re:Zero on a consistent basis, but upping the production quality should be possible. Simply spending more time on actual show and less time on recaps, previews, openings and endings each episode would go a long away. Especially with how rushed seasonal anime tends to be.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

Blooper987

@Heavyarms55 I plan on watching it after I finish one of the 5 anime in my watchlist. Nichijou, SOA2, Inuyasha, Spice & Wolf, & Clannad. Happy to hear it’s good. Can’t wait to watch it!

kkslider5552000

Re:Zero is my favorite anime I've seen in the past few years, so that checks out. Though I actually think its merely one of a number of high quality shows in terms of the actual animation and art quality of it, its more a sign of just how incredible anime has become in that regard. Re:Zero would've been the best looking anime series if it came out in 2010 I assume, but there's like half a dozen anime at least coming out just this month that also just look incredible.

Blooper987

Just saw the first episode of Wonder Egg Priority. All I’m gonna say is, it’s good! WATCH IT NOW

Solaine

Whoever is into maybe a bit more seinen Stuff and enjoys thriller then i can really recommend my Home Hero. It is not finished yet but really keeps me on the edge of my seat all the time. @Blooper987 Also, did that and this seems really promising!

"on a scale of 1 to 10, she's an 11, and she'd give herself a 12" ~The Burst, Furi

JoeDiddley

Around October I got a little burned out after completing around 30 RPGs and VNs last year (I get obsessed and want to try everything). I hadn’t watched much anime apart from Ghibli films. I tried Steins Gate and Death Note and now I’m hooked. At least until Persona 5 Strikers comes out.

Recently I’ve discovered Masaaki Yuasa and I’ve been working through his rich catalogue. I especially loved Tatami Galaxy and Eizouken so far.

Edited on by JoeDiddley

Switch: SW-2923-8106-2126
Steam ID: joediddley
https://myanimelist.net/profile/JoeDiddley

JoeDiddley

@Heavyarms55 @kkslider5552000 I recently watched the first season of Re Zero and it was great. Too easy to binge.

I’m planning to start on season 2 soon.

Edited on by JoeDiddley

Heavyarms55

@JoeDiddley Fair warning, if you don't like cliffhangers, season 2 is worse it's torture waiting for each episode!

Edited on by Heavyarms55

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

JoeDiddley

@Heavyarms55 ha, thanks for the fair warning. It’ll be the first currently running anime I’m watching, so hopefully that will make it a memorable suspenseful experience.

To immediately contradict myself I am dabbling with Dragon Quest Adventure Of Dai too as I love the games which is also currently running I guess, but I’m not caught up on that to have to wait.

Blooper987

Excuse me, but I gotta talk about all these shows I’ve been watching real quick😂

I just finished Nichijou, and it is just the best thing I’ve ever seen! It’s pure joy for all the senses. There’s not a single character I dislike and they could be put into any situation and it would work perfectly. It’s weird wacky and all over the place in the best ways. Truly a piece of art.

Now right when I finished Nichijou I looked up anime like it, and Toradora popped up. Let’s just say I’m almost done with it and I’ve been watching it for only two days. The show perfectly captures the awkwardness of teen romance, and uses it in places I never expect it to go. I’m not finished with it yet but it’s absolutely amazing so far.

Spice & Wolf is weird. It’s a show that is kinda educational, kinda a romance, and kinda a fantasy. Holo and Lawrence are amazing characters, with amazing chemistry. And the economical parts of the show are very well balanced with the rest of it. Pretty good.

I can’t decide if I like Wonder Egg Priority or not. First episode was absolutely amazing. Second episode was just ok. It’s kinda all over the place and playing with dark subject matter in a somewhat iffy way. We’ll see how it goes on.

I’ve only watched 2 episodes of CLANNAD, but I already know I’m gonna like it. It’s very much like Toradora, but not as funny. Can’t wait to watch more.

JoeDiddley

@Blooper987 CLANNAD I’m looking forward to getting to at some point. It’d be good to hear your thoughts as you get further in. I hear it’s very sad?

Blooper987

@JoeDiddley yeah I’m pretty sure it is. I’ve still only watched 2 episodes, because I keep on getting sidetracked watching other stuff, but from what I have seen it should be pretty sad.

I did finish Toradora, and I highly recommend it! The last two episodes were some of the best moments I’ve ever watched. The show is truly an emotional roller coaster.

I also just started Squid Girl which isn’t that popular, I don’t think, but it’s pretty good so far.

JoeDiddley

Great. I watched FLCL (it’s only 6 episodes) last night and it was brilliant and bonkers. I doubt I’ll see anything else like it.

Is anyone keeping an eye on the Re Zero game? I really like Spike Chunsoft but I’m not too sold based on the trailers. I want to be, I hope it turns out well.

Edited on by JoeDiddley

jump

@JoeDiddley They did two sequels to FLCL, Progressive and Alternative a few years ago. Which reminds me I need to actually get around to watching them.

Nicolai wrote:

JoeDiddley

@jump I was wondering if they will be any good. I don’t even know if they are by the same studio Gainax? I liked Evangelion and Gurren Lagann.

kkslider5552000

FLCL Progressive saved most of the best stuff for episode 4 onward, which is weird.

To this day I have really mixed feelings on both of those sequels. Like they felt both too similar and not similar enough to the original.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic