Forums

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Posts 12,521 to 12,540 of 12,605

RR529

Really suprised to see no one mention the story of the arsonist who set Kyoto Animation on fire today (I saw an article a few hours ago on Yahoo while at work).

It's apparently the deadliest arson Japan has seen in nearly 20 years, with dozens dead & dozens more injured. I haven't seen many of their series (I think just Eureka Seven & Deadman Wonderland, of which the former is one of my favorite anime series), but this is a terrible tragedy, and I pray for everyone affected.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

Heavyarms55

@RR529 We've been talking about it in the Chit-Chat thread.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me

kkslider5552000

RR529 wrote:

I haven't seen many of their series (I think just Eureka Seven & [strong]Deadman Wonderland[/strong

um...those were not made by Kyoani... :/

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play, please watch and enjoy!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

Tsurii

@CanisWolfred no idea how closely you're following that stuff but Fairy Tail is gonna end on episode 328. One off that list with long running Shonen of yours lol
I think you were wondering how long it'd run a little while ago, no?

Edited on by Tsurii

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter

Anti-Matter

I found Dumbell Nan Kiro was a Bodybuilding Anime i knew from Youtube just now.
Oh, gosh.... The muscular dudes there was too Photoshopped and i have no interest to see the girls inside that anime.
But, hey... Not bad for a Bodybuilding anime since that was a Very Rare genre for anime. I wish there will be more Chibi anime with Boxing / Bodybuilding theme in cute way.

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Heavyarms55

Just want to point out that Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba has gone from awesome to trash in the span of just a few episodes. It is actually remarkable how badly they drove this series into the ground. What started as an intense story with serious, characters a dark plot and honestly breathless action animation has devolved rapidly into just a generic shonen comedy routine. Two new characters who, if the intro is any indication, are main characters, are positively obnoxious. One is a muscle brained moron without enough sense to differentiate between his allies and enemies. And the other is a babbling, crying snot nosed coward who literally will hide behind children to save himself - whose introduction is as a slobbering idiot trying to force himself on a woman "before he dies". And both of these characters scream almost every line. It's such a stark contrast from how the show began and such a massive downgrade. It's like ordering a delicious meal at a restaurant, taking a couple bites, and then two idiots walk up and sneeze and cough all over it. Really don't want to keep eating!

I can't even think of another show that started off so cool and interesting only to go downhill so fast and so much!

On another note Dr. Stone and Is it wrong to pick up girls in a Dungeon 2 are proving to be very good this season. Much to my relief.

Feel free to add me

CanisWolfred

@Heavyarms55 I'd argue that Demon Slayer was racing through the setup just to get to the routine. It always felt like it was rushing to me. Shrugs I wasn't that invested in it, though.

Anyways, I'm most of the way through the Dragon Ball Super arc, and while I have some storytelling issues and weird retcons that feels more like the scriptwriters aren't actually all that familiar with Goku (he never kissed Chi-Chi? What?!), I'm enjoying it so far, and where its taking the story. The humor is also getting better, though maybe I just have a soft spot for time-travel-based confusion. Either way, it's been pretty fun so far, even as the stakes ramp up. Decent fights, too, even if the animation leaves something to be desired (I'm well aware of the production issues they've had).

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

Heavyarms55

@CanisWolfred I sat through about 30 episodes of Super before I concluded that my tastes have simply changed from when I was a kid.

Feel free to add me

CanisWolfred

Heavyarms55 wrote:

@CanisWolfred I sat through about 30 episodes of Super before I concluded that my tastes have simply changed from when I was a kid.

To be fair: If they were the first 30 episodes? They were terrible. I just wound up skimming through them. They literally reanimated the movies while making them worse, mostly to buy time and set up the later arcs (but there were other ways they could've done it). It gets better. Not fantastic, but better.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Tsurii

Yeah, I'm not at all into Kimetsu no Yaiba either. It's very much a style over substance thing, which only makes me believe ufotable aren't able to do more than that in general because I think Fate is just as bad with even less likeable characters.
The screaming in Demon Slayer only makes me think of the Dress Rosa arc in One Piece and that was already absolute trash as far as the characters, voice acting and just...everything went lol

I'm suuuuper into Fire Force and Vinland Saga tho. The former could probably be described similarly to Demon Slayer, since it hits a lot of familiar/blatant shounen tropes but Fire Force has the advantage of having an interesting setting, fun characters and fights that are well choreographed.
Vinland Saga is just HEAVY. Also a fairly unique setting, an engaging conflict after these first four episodes (that didnt feel anywhere near that long) and it just looks amazing. And like Fire Force, great action scenes that don't amount to JUST style, which is not to say they don't look bloody amazing.
Fair trade, I think lol

The one that completes the weekly streaming for me this season is O Maidens In Your Savage Years. It's hella cringy at times, but it's just so well put together with, you guessed it, a great, varied cast and just all around solid everything.

Edited on by Tsurii

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter

RR529

@CanisWolfred, @Heavyarms55, I love the idea of Dragon Ball Super (especially using threats/fighters from other universes), but the execution has a lot to be desired.

• As Canis said, the first two arcs are just worse animated retreads of the two newest "Z" movies, with failed attempts to expand on them in any meaningful way. The new Frieza arc is especially bad at this, by adding a scene where Krillen was terrified of fighting even basic Frieza soldiers (even while freaking Master Roshi was kicking their butts right below him), bringing back Ginyu only to throw him away in the most anti-climactic way possible, and bringing in Gotenks (who wasn't in the film) only to have him de-fuse the moment he shows up, prompting me to say "what's the point?".
  • I honestly don't have many problems with the Universe 6 arc. I would have reworked Hit's backstory a bit (so that instead of a 1,000 year old prodigy, he would have been as strong as he was BECAUSE he had 1,000 years to hone his craft, and Goku would have rekindled his love of fighting after a few centuries of being unmatched), but that's about it. Oh, and I thought Magetta's design was asinine.
  • I liked the idea of the Goku Black arc, but I thought narratively it was a clustertruck, largely because of all the timeline stuff. Also they retconned their superhuman invulnerability to regular weaponry, which was most pravelent here. The villains were once driven away by a canister of tear gas, which is extra hilarious considering they have the power of gods now. Interestingly, the arc has some similarity to the doujin Dragon Ball AF (in which an evil Supreme Kai threatens the world with an evil Goku), which was written by Toriyama's protege before being hired on as the official artist for the Super manga, so I wonder if he had any input on this arc.
  • I like the basic concept of the Tournament of Power arc, but I think the creation of 65 new fighters for it was way too much of a creative drain, as 95% of them come off looking like the kind of mooks that get knocked out in the preliminaries of Dragon Ball's tournament arcs (and to be fair, most of them ARE mooks that get knocked out early). Even the Universe 11 fighters (the main "antagonists" of the arc) have phoned in designs like "Cyborg G.I. Joe" & "Beerus hastily photoshopped into a rabbit". I don't dislike Jiren, but even he is just a muscled up varient of the "Grey" alien archetype at the end of the day.

Then there's the overall problem of them completely giving Buu the shaft, writing him out of every arc after the Battle of Gods arc (even the two tournament arcs with out of bounds rules where his healing factor wouldn't be a huge advantage).

I still watch it because it's Dragon Ball though, and absolutely LOVED the new Broly movie for what that's worth.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

Heavyarms55

@RR529 I've heard from several people how much better it gets after the first two arcs - but it was how bad I found those two arc that causes me to abandon it. Maybe I should give it another chance?

Feel free to add me

Heavyarms55

@Tsurii I need to try Fire Force. I brush over it when I saw the description and cover but since I am dropping Demon Slayer almost certainly I might have to try FF.

Edited on by Heavyarms55

Feel free to add me

CanisWolfred

Tsurii wrote:

It's very much a style over substance thing, which only makes me believe ufotable aren't able to do more than that in general because I think Fate is just as bad with even less likeable characters.

I'm glad I'm not alone on this, though to Ufotable's credit, they did the best that could with honestly amatuer-ish source material. I greatly enjoyed Fate/Zero, at least, but I've also enjoyed most of Gen Urobuchi's body of work that I can find, so I'd argue they had more to work with. Shrug

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

LetsGoSwitch

I am watching Miss Kobayashi's (is that how you spell it?) Dragon Maid. Never seen it before and so far it's pretty good

LetsGoSwitch

kkslider5552000

Vinland Saga is the type of anime I was sure would not be for me. Serious, realistic historical fiction, that's a real cure for insomnia. So the fact that I think the series is great so far says a lot.

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play, please watch and enjoy!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

CanisWolfred

So, I'm still trying to follow some shows this season, even though I fell behind due to things coming up, and I still have two I need to get caught up with. With that out of the way:

Dr. Stone is just as fun as I'd hoped it would be so far, I'm really digging the survival trivia and the dicotomy between the two lead characters. They're still setting up the story, but I think I'm in for a good ride.

Astra: Lost in Space is also priving to be interesting. Nothing groundbreaking, but it's keeping me invested. The plot keeps thickening, but it doesn't detract from its main focus on team-building and surviving in the space-boonies.

Fire Force had me worried for a second when I thought it was going to have a tournamebt arc right out of the gate, but instead it used it more as a backdrop to introduce the rest of its main premise. I'm really looking forward to seeing where this all is headed, but I'm enjoying the journey, too. I really like all the main characters so far, and I'm a sucker for Gambit knock-offs, so naturally I'm enjoying the villain, too.

Granbelm is Fate/Madoka Gundam, and I'm okay with that. It seems like it needs another episode to get the story going, though. I think. They're still introducing new characters, at least, and it seems to have Fate's tendency to introduce characters in a slapdash manner while expecting the audience to pickup the pieces along the way even as the plot rockets forward at an increasing velocity. So, you know, maybe it'll just be easier to follow along when there's not as many new faces to keep up with.

And hey, at least I don't immediately hate every character they introduce, except maybe the rabid dog disguised as a teenage girl, and then I think we're supposed to hate her, so we don't feel so sorry for her when she finally gets put down.

Hopefully I'll get to To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts later. I would've watched it around dinner tonight, but I changed my mind around the time someone got both of their legs blown off by a cannonball....both on watching it, and on eating dinner...yeesh...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Heavyarms55

Dropped Demon Slayer for the utter trash it has become.

Finally tried Fire Force and I can see why people like it so much!

Dr. Stone continues to be a heck of a lot of fun!

And finally Danmachi 2 was outstanding this week! "All you property is confiscated, and you're exiled! Get out!"

Feel free to add me

RR529

To my utter bewilderment I actually managed to win an Evangelion figure on Toreba this morning with my free plays.

Let's see if they actually get it to me.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic