Forums

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Posts 12,521 to 12,537 of 12,537

Heavyarms55

@CanisWolfred Oh, so there's a little more. Well that's good, but I don't know how they could possibly pull it back together at this point. Not without a whole season's worth of rebuilding a coherent story.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me
Edelgard profile pic credit to the amazing: https://roselph.tumblr.com/

Knighty_IX

"Will be continued..." Oh? There's more?

"In your mind." oh ok, lol

Following the style of Watanabe works (Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, and Space Dandy), Carole and Tuesday also ends strongly in a spectacle with a stirring song elevated by the collaboration of multiple music artists singing together under a liberating theme.

Despite the nagging feeling that the show could've been better most of the songs were nice to listen to, and are great accompaniments to the scenes they're correlated to speaking many volumes especially in setting the tone. The character animations as they sway to and fro while playing their instruments, or dance as they sing are spot on and look quite natural. While some conflicts end up falling flat and underwhelming, the redemption for certain characters also shine beautifully. All in all, I enjoyed my time with this show and would love to watch it again in English dub next time around.

RR529

Woot! Just won another anime figure on Toreba with today's free plays!

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

RR529

Following on from my last post, the Rei figure I won came in recently.

Untitled

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

Heavyarms55

Oh this is going to be a VERY good season of anime I think! For starters, Dr. Stone my favorite from last season is continuing and still proving to be excellent every week! Fire Force has restarted after a couple weeks off and is really solid still too!

Then returning this season we have Sword Art Online: Alicization, War of the Underworld which has started strong, the second season of Bokutachi ha benkyo ga dekinai "We can't Study" which I absolute love! And the TV adaptation of the Legend of Galactic Heroes second season too! And of course Food Wars: The 4th Plate too!

AND several new anime which look good too! A couple Isekai parodies, a comedy about a kid sold to a demon by terrible parents and a new Fate/Stay series too!

I just spent the entire afternoon watching anime and the hype is through the stinking roof!!!

Feel free to add me

Magician

I completely forgot that season four of My Hero Academia began last weekend.

Switch Physical Collection - 473 games (as of December 2nd, 2019)
Currently playing: Dragon Quest XI (Switch) Tales of Hearts R (PS Vita)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

Knighty_IX

@Magician Don't worry you didn't miss much, the first episode is mostly a recap to get people up to speed with the plot. So, you've got some time before the show really kicks off.

Heavyarms55

I do applaud them that they did a recap that wasn't a traditional recap episode. Even though it would actually be warranted since it has been several months.

Feel free to add me

CanisWolfred

Whoops, forgot to bring up some of the stuff I was watching:

No Gun No Life - Only managed to watch the first episode, but I'm sold on it so far. It's so rediculous, but it seems like it has an interesting noir/alt-history/sci-fi plot building up.

Some weird music video thing - I can't remember the name of it, so it's officially lost to the aether, but I'll never forget it, at least. It's like a series of CGI music videos I'd see on old-school MTV late at night, strung together into a barely coherant storyline - less of a movie, and more like a fully animated music album. Stylish, weird, raunchy, blending elements of science fiction and eastern samurai movies, all backed by country music that wasn't always fitting to the situations.

...I loved it! I mean, I probably spend more time watching AMVs than actual anime, admittedly, so this was right up my alley. I recall Daft Punk did something similar, where they got an anime studio to make a feature-length music video for one of their albums, and I loved that growing up. So this really took me back. Apparently another film from the 80's also did something similar. I wish I had written all this down while I still had the names...

My Hero Academia - Watching the 4th season with my brother over Discord. It's been interesting watching it week-to-week instead of my usual approach of waiting for the season to end so I can burn through it at my own pace. With that said, it's harder to stay patient - they're building up an interesting mystery with the yakuza and a horned little girl, and I just want to know where it's all gonna go...

Magmell - I thought this was going to be a major shounen romp, but I'm 9 episodes in, and there's still no sign of a plot developing. It's just been monster-of-the-day stuff and a little bit of the main character's backstory, which seems simple enough so far. It's not bad, but I'm not exactly in a hurry to finish it.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - Oh hey, I was rewatching this again on Funimation, but I now see it's on Netflix, so I guess I'll rewatch it from the beginning all over again. I swear, I never get tired of this show. It really is the best Gundam TV series since Gundam 00, and I'm including the TV recuts of U.C. and The Origin here.

Also, I'm working my way through Makoto Shinkai's directorial library, starting with She and Her Cat and Voices of a Distant Star, both of which were pretty good despite the late-90's flash animation. I might skip "The Place Promised In Our Early Days", since I recall that one goes off the rails pretty quickly. That means skipping to "5 Centimeters Per Second", which I realize I had confused for "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time"...that explains why I always thought Time Travel was involved somehow. Apparently it was the first of Shinkai's films that didn't have any supernatural or sci-fi elements, so knowing me, I probably got bored partway through and popped in a different movie. Guess we'll see if I stick with it this time.

Probably forgetting a bunch of other stuff.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

Heavyarms55

@CanisWolfred I'm a massive Gundam nut, and while after the first season of IBO I might have agreed that it was the best since 00, I felt the second season was much weaker, and averaging them out I would rank IBO much lower. I never bothered to watch the TV cuts of Unicorn though, because I have the OVAs on Blue Ray. It was just a re-edit for TV right? As far as I know, they didn't add anything.

Feel free to add me

CanisWolfred

Heavyarms55 wrote:

@CanisWolfred I'm a massive Gundam nut, and while after the first season of IBO I might have agreed that it was the best since 00, I felt the second season was much weaker, and averaging them out I would rank IBO much lower. I never bothered to watch the TV cuts of Unicorn though, because I have the OVAs on Blue Ray. It was just a re-edit for TV right? As far as I know, they didn't add anything.

To be fair, I'm only saying that even Gundam Unicorn and The Origin haven't been as consistantly enjoyable for me compared to IBO. I'll admit that the first season is better than the second, but it still feels like a complete and compelling story with memorable action and characters, and I really liked how it would usually alternate between action-focused and character/plot development episodes, at least in the first season, giving the story more time to breath early on. Helped it avoid some of the pacing issues that most entries in the franchise wind up suffering from.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

Heavyarms55

@CanisWolfred It's definitely accurate to say IBO is a much more complete and self contained story. As a long time fan, I like Unicorn precisely because it draws so heavily from earlier content, but on the flip side that's almost certainly a negative for more casual watchers.

Part of why I didn't like the second season of IBO was because much of the character development and excellent pacing of the first season was lost. I felt like many characters made decisions inconsistent with how they would have behaved in the first season and several plot points from the first season were tossed aside, like the relationship between Tekkadon and that other group whose name escapes me right now. It felt to me like the author decided on how they wanted it to end, and then worked backward to force that ending. Though season 2 did have a few purely awesome moments too, it wasn't a total mess.

On the other hand, the first season of IBO utterly blew me away! I was on the edge of my seat practically every episode dying to know what happens next each week! If season one was a delicious meal, season two was that same meal, reheated for the second time a week later with some extra seasoning thrown on to mask the unpleasantness from the mistake of reheating leftovers a second time... At least in my book.

Feel free to add me

Knighty_IX

The first episode of No Guns Life also sold me on the show, however it has yet to keep up the momentum making me feel deflated on its potential. The latest episode seems to be promising something exciting later on so it might be too early to drop, but the ride hasn't been as great as I had hoped for.

I didn't want to watch Kemono Michi: Rise Up at first, and yet I decided to watch it anyways. It's alright, I like the idea of a wrestler being the main protagonist despite his excessive love for animals, and sometimes it can be kind of funny but not as much as Konosuba. The most remarkable moment is the jump in animation quality during the fight against the orc.

Beastars is another show that I initially didn't want to watch at first, but I really liked its OP, which enticed me to at least give it a try, just like how Carole and Tuesday impressed me with its gorgeous OP. Overall, I'm pleasantly surprised with it. I'm still not accustomed to the CG but I'm far too engrossed with the characters to be entirely detracted from the experience.

Not much to say about My Hero Academia Season 4, just hyped to see the stage set to begin the conflict.

Had a rough start with Fire Force, although at least I'm enjoying it slightly more than before. The animation looks above average only during the action scenes and the plot is starting to pick up more steam, unfortunately I'm struggling to continue watching this show.

Dr. Stone got me hooked from the start and I was enjoying it, until recently. I can't figure out the reasons why, I've just noticed that I didn't like as much as I used to before.

Ironically it was Vinland Saga that I was worried about the most, yet that one has remained fairly solid with some decent action scenes despite having its own fair share of mediocre visuals.
Watching Thorkell slaughtering those soldiers with two giant axes while laughing in a bloodthirsty ecstasy was sublime.

Despite not having watched Psycho Pass 2 due to the negative reception, I decided to skip straight ahead to Psycho Pass 3. Great production values all around, the new characters are decent so far, and I'm quite captivated with the intriguing investigations surrounding the cases.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes - Die Neue These, overall I'm not impressed with the changes made to this remake and I don't think it will be able to surpass the OVA in my mind. However, it's still kind of nice to revisit some of the iconic scenes in a different light, since the story is more streamlined making it easier to the get into for better and for worse. The death of Jessica Edwards was surprisingly bloodier than I had remembered.

I recently began watching The Twelve Kingdoms a few days ago, and now that I'm almost finished, I think I could confidently say that it's another personal favorite of mine. This show loves to take its time delving into nearly every detail of its world and culture and it can be quite difficult to keep track of all the names and terminologies it throws at you. Some people might be deterred with how bratty and weak the characters are at first, but that's only the beginning of their arcs. Spending the time to watch them grow slowly but surely as they experience hardships and learn crucial life lessons is probably the most rewarding part of experiencing this show. It's a shame that there aren't any more episodes but it truly felt like I went on a long journey by the end of it. Also Rakushun is the best character.

Edited on by Knighty_IX

kkslider5552000

Knighty_IX wrote:

The first episode of No Guns Life also sold me on the show, however it has yet to keep up the momentum making me feel deflated on its potential.

I had the opposite reaction, and think the series has largely gotten better with each episode (outside of episode 5).

NB, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

Knighty_IX

@kkslider5552000 Despite my misgivings, I still believe that the show has yet to really kick off for me and is the reason why I'll continue watching, especially now that it's starting on a new arc. While its setting isn't exactly new, it did a pretty good job touching on various aspects of the widespread impact the extensions had on society and provided ample viewpoints through the characters and conflicts. The characters themselves are fun and promising, but they haven't completely resonated with me yet, so I'd like to see the chemistry between them fleshed out even further. My enjoyment has certainly wavered, but there's definitely merit to this show to refute my impressions. Some of my gripes comes from Tetsurou's heroic antics which by the end of it all felt too cliché diminishing the girls' struggle of abuse, and that dumpy guy from the Berühren Corporation was too comically evil for me to take things seriously. Other than that I'm anticipating that the new episodes would change my opinion on this show more favorably.

kkslider5552000

Knighty_IX wrote:

and that dumpy guy from the Berühren Corporation was too comically evil for me to take things seriously.

Honestly, if he wasn't comically evil, it would be less believable. In 2019.

also because of the setting and what this genre does, but no srsly 2019

NB, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic