Forums

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Posts 12,481 to 12,500 of 13,141

Heavyarms55

Stand up be strong, know right from wrong forever hence believe yourself Bleach is coming back!

I never thought I'd see the day, and apparently even the author of Bleach didn't think it, but somehow I missed the news last month, Bleach has been confirmed to return and cover the final story arc of the Manga .

For those who know about it, the Manga had kind of a trash final arc, but Kubo has had almost 9 years to fix stuff and I am cautiously optimistic about this. I LOVED Bleach in its early days and obsessed over it back in high school. It was the Manga/anime I watched every week as soon as the episode and chapter dropped and rushed into school to talk to my friends about the next day.

In all honestly it wasn't that good of a show. But I enjoyed it, and even if just for the opportunity to see a few more GETSUGA TENSHOU!!!!! I'll give it a chance. Nostalgia is blinding me to the the likelihood that it wont be great but... Gosh darn it I'm giving it the chance!

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

RR529

@Heavyarms55, I actually thought the final arc was better than the Fullbring arc (which felt like filler, even though it wasn't), but it still had it's issues, such as the fact that it kind of wrapped up abruptly when it came down to the final showdown (there was a lot of lore that never got resolved, such as the true nature of the Soul King), apparently due to the fact that either Kubo was ill and had to end it abruptly, or that the manga was cancelled by higher ups & he had to end it early (not sure which, but I've heard both).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Heavyarms55

@RR529 From what I remember reading, it was both publisher pressure and Kubo's illness that forced them to wrap up the Manga far faster than it should have been - and that's why I consider it kind of a mess. My hope is that with this anime reboot, the address and fix those issues.

Also, while I'm not a big fan of the Bullbring arc at all, I did like them showing who the first substitute shinigami was and dealing with that aspect of the story.

I don't expect it to be anime of the year material, or even very good. But I do look forward to having a good time with it.

CanisWolfred

Considering how much that arc dragged at the beginning, I'm really not surprised to hear they had to wrap things up prematurely. Hopefully the anime will have better pacing and attempt a more satisfying conclusion.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Heavyarms55

@CanisWolfred That's exactly what I am hoping for. Honestly I think they should drop some of the side character's fights and only focus on the main cast. One of my gripes with Bleach, as much as I enjoyed the series overall, was their annoying insistence on every fight being 1v1. Only very rarely did the series show groups of characters fighting. The 1v1 fights often meant weeks or even months would go by in weekly Manga chapters without seeing the main story progress. I remember having to go back to earlier chapters to find out what so-and-so was doing when one fight ended and the story shifted to another character.

Edited on by Heavyarms55

kkslider5552000

As someone who read Bleach back in the day and still owns quite a bit of it, I got out right when I heard things started to go downhill. I've never been interested in going back. "Ah yes, I could watch the tons of great anime and manga I haven't gotten to OR I COULD GO BACK AND WATCH BLEACH DIE A SLOW AND PAINFUL DEATH" lol no

Honestly, this whole thing is weird to me. I've been told constantly for the better part of a decade about how hard Bleach fell, so I'm not sure what's to be excited by? Especially if its another mediocre pierrot anime.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Heavyarms55

@kkslider5552000 As someone who has watched an absurd amount of anime over the years, I can tell you that in terms of bad anime, Bleach at its absolute worst is still several levels above some of the garbage that has aired. That's not to say it doesn't have problems but that it's not nearly as bad as some other options.

At least no one in Bleach is a crybaby rapist who can only fight while he sleeps. There are no perverts french kissing children to gain immortality, and no mother-son incest. Yes, those are all things I've come across. Just to name a few.

As much as I love anime, the bottom of the barrel is a lot lower than some people realize. And on that note, I think many of the best anime are better than the casual view knows as well. But that's a different discussion.

Edited on by Heavyarms55

kkslider5552000

Having disgusting, terrible scenes or storylines or characters to me is a different type of bad than "poorly written action series". And quite frankly I can't pretend none of my favorites haven't had similar issues (one of my favorite manga was written by a pedophile, life sucks). And generally speaking, there is a level of questionable content I can deal with in an otherwise quality series. I even probably would've enjoyed Fire Force despite its truly irredeemably terrible ideas of fanservice "humor" if it was remotely as good as Soul Eater.

Bleach just sounds like a story that became not worth my time as a whole. I don't give a **** if the bar is lower, I've dropped better series for just not entertaining me enough.

Heavyarms55

@kkslider5552000 Well it's your life, watch what you want. Sorry to have bothered you with a different opinion.

kkslider5552000

Dude, I was giving you the exact same tone you just gave. Sorry if you think I was butthurt about your opinion, but I wasn't.

Look, I actually get looking at some of the more bs things that happen to anime and looking at a harmless, but less than great series and being "at least it isn't doing this horrible thing." This is honestly my response whenever a shonen both introduces and then remotely, properly uses its female cast as if they are relevant parts of an action story beyond emotional support (I'm not the biggest Attack on Titan fan, but it gets this right so much more than most of the genre). But there are still better series than even Bleach at its best that don't have trash scenes or characters.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Laoak

I loved Kaguya-Sama Love Is War and I was hyped for S2. Now I realise it's only on Funimation and you need premium. Is this a permanent thing or is it like crunchyroll where it will be free after a week?

{funny quote here}

Heavyarms55

We're getting into the new season of anime now, and there are a few shows I'm really enjoying so far. I'm pleasantly surprised as when I looked at the chart for the season I was initially unimpressed.

I'm really enjoying Arte, Kaguya-sama love is war S2, My new life as a Villainess and A Certain Scientific Railgun T. Also Tower of God and 8th Son aren't bad so far. Princess Connect isn't good but it's bad in the right ways. Shironeko Project I am probably gonna give one more episode but I expect to drop it. Real generic and boring so far.

The surprising let down is Shokugeki no Soma season 5. (Food Wars) I was warned by fans of the Manga that this final arc is not good, but after season 4 ended on such a high note, I wanted to give it a chance.

Yet after 2 episodes, I already find myself extremely pissed. They are shoehorning in an entirely new antagonist and his big evil plan is to make Nakiri his bride (you know, forget what she has to say, she's just a girl, right?) And Soma, who has at most, flirted with Nakiri a couple times, has decided to fight for her and declare her his (because again, who cares what she has to say, she's just a girl!)

Reducing Nakiri from fellow protagonist to trophy wife to fight over is insulting in the extreme! And it makes no sense story-wise. To start with, I think there's been a lot more chemistry between Soma and Megumi up to this point - and even in the latest episode where the new bad guy declares his intent to have Nakiri, Soma and Megumi have a real cute scene together that shows how close they have grown and undermining Soma's out of nowhere desire to fight and make Nakiri his.

Then tack on how they set up that this new bad guy is better than Soma's father before giving Soma the chance to overcome his father himself and it seriously begs the question of if this is even still the same author, or if it's someone else just using the same pen name!

I think I might drop the show and just pretend the awesome note that S4 left off on to be the end.

Edited on by Heavyarms55

kkslider5552000

Heavyarms55 wrote:

Princess Connect isn't good but it's bad in the right ways

Is this what we call stupid comedies now? I mean, its not an especially smart or clever series, but the timing is really good, it has good set ups for comedic main characters. It might as well just be a Konosuba spinoff. I'd say its very good at what it is at least.

CanisWolfred

Oh wow, I completely forgot about the new season until earlier today. Hopefully I can get to them tomorrow - I basically skipped this season since the only show I had an interest in I just...wasn't really in the mood for. I needed something more stimulating, so I stuck to games.

With that said, I already know that BNA and Appare-Ranman! are right up my alley, so I'm looking forward to those (BNA is Netflix, apparently, so...I guess I gotta wait before I can watch it?).

Tower of God looks visually interesting, at least, so I might give that a shot.

I thought Gleipnir was gonna be interesting until I finally saw some clips of it and...nopenopenopenope not touching that with a ten-foot pole.

Apparently there's a remake of Digimon Adventure? What? Wow, I've been in the mood for Digimon lately, so this works out perfectly. I'll definitely give that a watch.

I guess I should give the new Sakura Wars anime a shot, but honestly, I'd rather be playing the story rather than watching it. Maybe once the game I've played the game I'll watch it, but not before.

Oh, and there's a new season of Kingdom? What?! I mean, I guess it's not as old as Full Metal Panic, but it definitely still feels like this continuation came out of left field. Who here even remembers this show? I'll give it a watch, but I'm gonna have get through the first two seasons, since it's been 7+ years.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Heavyarms55

@kkslider5552000 Naw, I actually think that Konosuba has great comedic writing and is an awesome parody. Princess Connect seems to be shamelessly cute girls doing cute things with no semblance of plot and an MC who is literally just a prop.

@CanisWolfred I did hear about the Digimon remake but I don't know if it's out yet. I know about it because I have a couple friends who enjoy it. I never got into it myself though - not out of dislike just never got around to it. I have Sakura Wars on Steam, I think. My friend bought it for me at some point. Another notch in the backlog. I don't know anything about BNA and Appare-Ranman!. And I passed on Gleipnir too. Doesn't sound like my taste.

There is supposed to be the next season of Sword Art Online this season too. Starting this week. But who knows if that will happen or if it will be delayed. Lots of rumors floating around due to COVID-19. There was going to be the new season of Re:Zero as well, which is why they just aired the Director's Cut last season but that was delayed too.

I saw some rumors about the second half of Railgun being delayed due to the virus too, but again, just rumors.

CanisWolfred

@Heavyarms55 Yeah, the remake's been airing all month. I guess I kept thinking it was the original.

Personally, I don't watch shows based on Light Novels as a general rule, so all those delays don't really bother me.

However, I do want to note that Railgun was one of the few exceptions I made that I didn't regret, mostly because I tried it before the LN floodgates burst open. But then they brought it back along with more Index, new spin-offs, movies, etc. and I just couldn't keep up with it anymore, nor do I really care enough to bother at this point. If they're just gonna milk it, I'll watch something else.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

Heavyarms55 wrote:

Princess Connect seems to be shamelessly cute girls doing cute things

In the same way that Konosuba shamelessly has fanservice. shrugs

I mean, I've not seen season 2 of Konosuba but I don't remember a ton of plot in season 1. (I mean unless you mean a different type of "plot" lol)

Heavyarms55

Joining Re:Zero and Sword Art Online, the second half of A Certain Scientific Railgun T (season 3) has been postponed due to COVID-19. I completely understand why, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't very disappointed. In a way Railgun getting postponed is worse, because it is mid season, right smack dab in the middle of a major story event. And after the sister shows Accelerator and Index were both letdowns, Railgun having been so good this season was a reminder of why I like that fictional universe so much!

I do understand, but I am very bummed regardless.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic