Forums

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Posts 12,461 to 12,480 of 12,483

Knighty_IX

@Heavyarms55 I do plan on continuing Gundam ZZ but after watching the Mobile Suit Gundam movies, 08th MS Team, War in the Pocket, 0083: Stardust Memories and Zeta Gundam one after another I needed a break.

While I haven't dropped Tate no Yuusha completely, I'm starting to feel less and less eager to watch anymore of it. Seeing the odds stacked unfairly against him, I was interested in seeing how Naofumi would handle his predicament and his relationship with Raphtalia. While teetering on the edgy side, his anger is justified even though he stubbornly holds grudges. I'm sort of thankful to see him forgo his grudges a bit when he tries to fight alongside the other heroes but it does change the tone of the show. I wasn't exactly thrilled to see Filo become a little girl, but I kind of accepted it later on. Seeing them all travel on a wagon reminded me of Spice and Wolf. The traveling trade business alongside the side-quests they take was a nice change of pace, the dragon corpse is a nice attention to detail as I never expected the show to actually focus on the corpse to spread disease and it served as a neat side-quest (I probably wouldn't have mind seeing Naofumi ditching his duty as the Shield Hero and just go on a journey for the rest of the show). Having Melty join the group feels overcrowded and just having three female companions started to feel like pandering at that point. It made me wish that the young knights and mages who wanted to work with him earlier, joined him instead despite how generic they look. I don't mind having Melty being the target of a political struggle, and being friends with Filo is pretty cute, but the sooner she leaves the group into a supporting role the better. Raphtalia's relationship with Naofumi is the highlight of the show and it's sad to see her get pushed aside for new girls and starting to slightly fade from relevancy. The whole procedure of Naofumi going berserk and his female companions constantly reminding him to chill out got pretty repetitive, it was quite touching the first time between Naofumi and Raphtalia but I started to gloss over it after so many times and kinda adds to the harem pandering. The other three heroes are quite pathetic, coming off as irritating and bland. Despite their roles as legendary Heroes, they're stuck being minor, one-noted characters who are selfish and irresponsible and given no chance to be fleshed out sufficiently. I could care less about these guys and there's little payoff in seeing them finally work together after setting their differences aside. Naofumi is way too overpowered in comparison to the other heroes as seen in many other shows (it's hard not to make similarities between Rimuru and Naofumi especially with their video-game UI and overpowered ability to absorb and collect new skills) making them look even more incompetent. Hopefully they'll grow to become adequate, competent characters later on and not have to rely on Naofumi to set things right all the time, but this should not have been the case from the beginning either. The show doesn't look horrible but man those CG monsters are terrible, I think That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime looks better overall despite that awful CG Orc Army. Oh look the church is evil, who didn't see that coming...

I'm sorry if I didn't answer your question, I just wanted to share some thoughts I have on the show. I also don't like having to wait for new episodes every week, but that's my fault for not waiting for all episodes to come out.

Edited on by Knighty_IX

Knighty_IX

RR529

Watching the Last Hope on Netflix. I actually started watching it months ago, but got so into Dragon Quest XI & God of War earlier this year that I kinda stopped watching Netflix altogether, and until a few days ago I forgot there was something I was watching, lol.

Anyhow it's okay, but probably my least favorite of the anime I've watched on Netflix. Hopefully I can have it finished up by sometime next week.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

Magician

Going through the second season of the One Punch Man anime here. Having just watched episode eight, the season started a little slow. But now the Monster Association has made their move and the action is getting good. After this there's what...season four of My Hero Academia beginning in October?

Switch Physical Collection - 345 games (as of June 17th, 2019)
Currently playing: Okami HD (Switch) Mary Skelter (PS Vita) Borderlands The Pre-sequel (PS4)
Favorite Quote: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -Arthur C. Clarke

ForgottenArctic

Hey guys. I'm not an anime fan, but I found this anime show called Nichijou - My Ordinary Life. Anyone know why it's rated TV-14? Thanks!

Forgotten Arctic

Link-Hero

@ForgottenArctic
Ah, Nichijou. Great series. I believe the TV-14 rating is due to the show's jokes with sex and violence if I remember correctly.

Edited on by Link-Hero

Link-Hero

Nintendo Network ID: LinkHero25

LetsGoSwitch

And then there's me with my abridged series on Youtube

LetsGoSwitch

kkslider5552000

That's a good question. I know they exist, but the idea of watching an Abridged Series of a pure comedy series has always seemed very odd to me. It'd like if you tried to parody a Weird Al song.

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play, please watch and enjoy!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

Heavyarms55

Man! This week's episode of Tate no Yushaa/Rise of the Shield Hero was so bloody good!

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me

Octoguy

Is anyone around here reading/ watching The Promised Neverland? It’s really great and I think it might be my favorite manga/ anime of all time

Playing: Splatoon 2, Pokémon Let’s Go and Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Let’s play together! ⭐️

Switch Friend Code: SW-6548-3003-2425

Heavyarms55

@Octoguy I really enjoyed it! I desperately hope it gets another season because it really seems like there is more to the story to tell. Apparently it will come back in 2020. The series caught my attention immediately after I watched the first episode for having one of the best opening themes I have seen in years. And despite the young cast it proved to have very dark themes and mature characters. There was, thankfully, very little time spent on whiny snot nosed children. I also loved that the lead character was a girl, and that she was very strong and took a leadership role. Something that is especially rare in anime unfortunately.

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx
Feel free to add me

RR529

Finished up the Last Hope on Netflix this morning!

What is it: A mecha (though it quickly becomes Super Robot) series that sees what's left of humanity surviving inside fortified defense cities after an accident at a new type of energy reactor causes Earth's biome to rapidly evolve, and now giant robots are humanity's best hope against the highly adaptive biological/mechanized creatures that have evolved into existence.

Content guide:

Violence - Mild. Some people get pretty bloody after their mech is badly damaged, and there's some bloody imagery with one of the character's backstory, but it's not a particularly gory show.

Sex - Mild. One female character has an improbably large chest, and (particularly early on) the camera will focus on it when she comes on screen (sometimes with some jiggle physics) for a few seconds, but that's it (and she even dresses pretty modestly).

Language - Mild. Typical PG-13 type offenses.

How'd I like it: I wasn't completely sold on it at first (a lot of the monsters are ugly & overdesigned, but that may make some sense given the lore), and they quickly introduced some Asian mysticism into the mix which I wasn't on board for (for a show about giant robots), but I actually grew to like the characters so I stuck with it. Also glad that it actually had a satisfying ending, which is more than I can say about some other Netflix anime (even ones I generally liked more).

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

CanisWolfred

Speaking of which, does Netflix have any Anime originals that aren't mainly CGI besides Devilman Crybaby and The Seven Deadly Sins? I've been hold back on watching Devilman Crybaby just because I feel like I'd probably forget about the service after I'm done with it...

EDIT: I know they have some stuff they share with Hulu and Funimation, btw, but I don't actually need Netflix to watch them.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

RR529

CanisWolfred, I know Dragon Pilot isn't, and although I haven't watched them, from what I can tell the Magi & Fate series, B the Beginning, and the Children who Ride Whales (I probably got the name of that wrong as I've only seen it in passing) aren't CG either. Even shows like KuroMakuro & the Last Hope only use CG for the robots/monsters themselves and not anything else.

I'm sure there's more though, as I'd taken like a 3 month break from Netflix before finishing that off.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

CanisWolfred

@RR529 For some reason I thought B the Beginning totally was CGI? And I'm totally counting stuff like Kuromakuro, at least in the cases where the CGI stands out abruptly from the 2D, so it feels like I'm watching characters from two completely different universes somehow coexisting. Unless that's the point, I find it very distracting, and I've seen enough examples of CGI integrated well that I can no longer tolerate the ones that don't have that level of polish. Sometimes it just feels like I'm watching Zegapain over and over again, never escaping that waking nightmare of dated animation and horrendously overdesigned mecha.

I never did finish Children of the Whales, though...forgot all about that..

Also Magi and the Fate series are definitely not originals, I already watched both of them on Crunchyroll and Funimation

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

RR529

@CanisWolfred, not sure about B as I haven't seen it, I just watched a trailer long ago and don't remember it being CG. Also could have sworn that I saw the Netflix mark on Fate & Magi. Guess take anything I say with a grain of salt, lol.

Oh, there's some gambling school one too. Kakekaguri I think? (Now I know I mispelled that one).

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

RR529

Watched Godzilla: Monster Planet tonight on Netflix. I'd watched it before back when it first released, but as that's been over a year ago I decided to rewatch it as a refresher before watching the other two parts, which I've yet to watch, but plan to soon.

What is it: An anime film that centers on the efforts of humanity to try & reclaim Earth from Godzilla after they gave in to his aggressions years ago and fled into space. It's the first part in a three film trilogy.

Content guide:

Violence - Mild. The most shocking moment comes in an early part where you see blood spray on a wall after an unnamed character commits suicide, but that's far and away more extreme than anything else in the film. It's mostly just war machinery being destroyed otherwise, where you don't see the people inside.

Sex - None.

Language - Mild. Typical PG-13 type stuff.

How'd I like it: I remember not being too hot on it the last time I watched it, but for whatever reason it clicked with me more this go around, so I'm pretty excited for the other parts now.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

CanisWolfred

Space Battleship Yamato 2202 - Up to episode 5 now, and this has honestly been excellent so far, with back-to-back surprises. I was afraid they were just doing a sequel for the sake of it, but so far it definitely feels like a natural continuation of 2199. I'm looking forward to watching more...I got distracted by all the E3 buzz, and forgot all about it for about a month now. Oops.

Gundam Build Fighters - I wasn't gonna watch this. It looked like Yu-Gi-Oh with Gundam in it, a naked advertisement for Gunpla with no substance. But damnit, once I saw some of the battle animations and enjoyed the honestly excellent Battle Prologue ONA, I finally gave in and watched some to try and get my Gundam fix.

I can't watch this. I hate the writing, the characters, the braindead plot, the annoying dialogues, how they bent over backwards to make everything be about plastic models being animated by some fictional particle when scanning the models and making virtual models based on them would've been a more sensible option. Eventually I started skipping to the battle sequences, and even with all the pretty animation, Gundam battles just aren't very exciting if I don't know or care about the context as to why they're fighting. I had seen some scenes on Youtube that cut all the character portions out, and I think it's telling when seeing those scenes as they were intended had far less impact. "Nothing" was literally better than what they wrote to justify these battles. Such a waste.

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin - Advent of the Red Comet - Sometimes, life is all about perspective. I hated the movie version of Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin when I saw them a year or two ago, feeling like they were too childish, rushed, and out of touch with the franchise it's trying desperately to emulate. And I still hold to that to a degree, some of the scenes are down right cringeworthy, or at least head-scratching. It's also far longer than it needs to be, with some scenes feeling unnecessarily drawn out, or are arguably even exist as pure filler.

But boy, is it better than Build Fighters! Like a camel to an oasis, I needed this - political intrigue, interesting characters with goals and interwoven backstories, tragedy and triumph! Sure, it has cool battles, but here they actually mean something. I know the stakes, I have someone to root for, every movement counts, every minute I'm on the edge of my seat, and afterwards, there are consequences and things to ruminate on. A good story only enhances the action. I'm only 7 episodes in so far, but I've been enjoying every minute of it, warts & all!

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic