Forums

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Posts 12,421 to 12,440 of 13,138

kkslider5552000

Knighty_IX wrote:

The first episode of No Guns Life also sold me on the show, however it has yet to keep up the momentum making me feel deflated on its potential.

I had the opposite reaction, and think the series has largely gotten better with each episode (outside of episode 5).

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

kkslider5552000

Knighty_IX wrote:

and that dumpy guy from the Berühren Corporation was too comically evil for me to take things seriously.

Honestly, if he wasn't comically evil, it would be less believable. In 2019.

also because of the setting and what this genre does, but no srsly 2019

SquallLeonhart86

I am waiting patiently for the second season of Rising of the Shield Hero. I really enjoyed the first season

Rise up

CanisWolfred

I didn't realize until yesterday, when I watched a compilation of Shaft studios anime openings, but...holy crap are there a ton of Monogatari series. I feel off the wagon right at the beginning of it all, but now I have no hope of catching up with that story.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

DayOfLavos

@CanisWolfred My friend absolutely loves the Monogatari series and has desperately tried to get me into it as well but I just can't. I've only just now caught up with Jojo, I'm not going through another long journey like that anytime soon

"There's a party in my mind, and I hope it never stops"
#1 Kirby Air Ride player in the world (voted by like 4 people)

Heavyarms55

Watched a lot of anime this year. There were a lot of good shows but the big three for me were Dr. Stone (Season 2 confirmed!), We never Learn (both seasons, hoping for a season 3 announcement after the next episode!) and Rise of the Shield Hero (season 2 presumed but unconfirmed as far as I know)

Honorable mentions: Sword Art Online Alicization, My Hero Academia, The Promised Neverland and Fire Force.

What did you guys in enjoy this year?

Nintendo Switch FC: 4867-2891-2493
Switch username: Em
Discord: Heavyarms55#1475
Pokemon Go FC: 3838 2595 7596
PSN: Heavyarms55zx

kkslider5552000

Heavyarms55 wrote:

What did you guys in enjoy this year?

-Dr. Stone
-Sarazanmai
-Kaguya-sama
-Vinland Saga

I mean I enjoy most of the anime I watch, but those are the standouts I saw. I'm happy at how different they are, thinking about it.

oh and also Promare, but that's a movie. Finally getting to Flip Flappers and Konosuba was fun too.

DayOfLavos

I really gotta check out Dr. Stone.

Only anime from this year I finished was Jojo Part 5, I've been too busy catching up on some older stuff I've never seen. Bouncing between Space Dandy and Haruhi Suzumiya rn

"There's a party in my mind, and I hope it never stops"
#1 Kirby Air Ride player in the world (voted by like 4 people)

RR529

In terms of series, I really liked Captain Earth when I watched it earlier this year, and I also rewatched Godannar, though that's more of a guilty pleasure. Other than that I liked what I saw of Dr. Stone & Fire Force as well, but I haven't really been in a position to catch Toonami regularly enough to really get invested in anything.

On the movie front I loved Dragonball Super: Broly, and my annual rewatch of InuYasha Movie 2: Castle Beyond the Looking Glass. Also finally got around to watching Netflix's Godzilla trilogy, which was decent.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RR529

Just finished up Godannar (Blu-Ray)!

What it is:

• A super robot anime from the early-mid 00's with a bit of a fun, over the top vibe that seemingly pays homage to the super robot shows of an earlier era, mixed in with heavy doses of fanservice, though not without a heart of it's own.
  • The story revolves around Anna & Goh Sawuwatari, newlyweds who also happen to be giant robot pilots that are at the forefront of protecting the world from an alien threat known as the Mimetic Beasts.

What I Liked:

• As an homage to the genre it takes on a fun vibe, revelling in the over the top silliness of it all. Bright colors, ham fisted melodrama, yelling out super attacks & all that jazz. It's good because it's "in" on it all if that makes sense (such as a running gag centered on a character based on the typical shonen hero who constantly does reckless things, assumed dead, only to reveal he's still alive). What really sets it apart though is that despite all the silliness, it does have a heart all it's own, even if the story itself doesn't break any new ground.
  • While the concept admittedly isn't for everyone, I feel this is one of the few fanservice centric anime where the fanservice is done "right". Sure, there's women in highly improbable tight fitting jumpsuits with Senran Kagura physics everywhere you look, but even the obligatory "ladies man" character doesn't grope anyone, so it never feels uncomfortable. Plus, unlike a lot of other "fanservice" anime I've seen, it remembers to actually have a story with a sense of weight, even if it's not terribly deep.
  • It's a great package as a whole, with some great special features including concept art, Japanese TV commercials (even including a few for a tie in PS2 game), and terminology encyclopedias in addition to the standard stuff like clean credits scenes and trailers for other titles.

What I Disliked:

• There is a minor subplot involving the British robot pilots, a brother and sister team, that not so subtly indicates they have incestuous feelings for each other. The only aspect of the show I was uncomfortable with.
  • The HD remastering process can be a bit hit or miss. It mostly looks really good, but every once in awhile there'll be a scene or background that doesn't look touched up.
  • It's from an era where English voice over could be rough, and while it does offer subtitled Japanese VO as well, if you choose to watch it in English I could see Anna's voice coming off as grating.

Content Guide:

• Sex/Nudity: (Heavy) - Nearly every female character has a Senran Kagura level endowment, with jiggle physics to match. Further, they often wear jumpsuits that are tight enough to feature visible impressions of certain areas they're covering up. Heck, even a few of the mechs have breasts (with guns in them). The one area it does hold back in slightly is explicit nudity, with modesty steam (or some other object) oftentimes covering up a character's breasts, though even then there are a few scenes where they do show nipples, though they just don't color them in (with exactly one exception in the entire series).
  • Language: (Mid) - Typical PG-13 swearing, and some comparable innuendo.
  • Violence: (Mild) - It's mostly robot on monster action (and the monsters usually have blue/green goo/blood if at all), but a character may have a stream of blood on their face if they're robot is badly damaged. Certain characters contract a disease that grotesquely transforms their body, though it's bloodless.

Overall it's a bit of a guilty pleasure for a mecha/giant robot fan, if not a timeless classic. That, and I'm a sucker for a series where a romantic couple must pilot a robot together to bring out it's best.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

CanisWolfred

More guilty pleasure than anything. I'm all for over-the-top super robot series, but I could not get myself to finish Godannar. Way too much fanservice with no real substance to back it up, IMO. When I wasn't cringing, I was just bored. I mean, I've seen worse by now, like Dai-shogun, which IIRC, may as well have been a hentai...although honestly, I've seen actual mecha hentai OVAs with better animation, and I'm not just talking about the "action" scenes, either. I had to look it up to make sure it actually came out within the last decade...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

Assuming it keeps going as is, Eizouken will be better than any anime I watched last year. Really impressed so far.

Even if I wasn't loving it, I'd be impressed at how instantly iconic it is. It has only existed for three weeks as an anime, and yet I feel like anyone half paying attention to anime could immediately recognize the main two girls. If you put them in silhouette, I'd still recognize them.

CanisWolfred

Man, Studio Trigger's new anime couldn't appeal to me more if they tried:

My body is ready.

@kkslider5552000

Oh yeah, I was wondering if that one was any good. I don't really keep up with new anime (no matter how much I try, I can't handle week-to-week viewing), but that one seemed like a good one to binge-watch when it gets far enough along.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Heavyarms55

@CanisWolfred I will literally watch anything Trigger puts out. I haven't been disappointed yet. There's been a couple that I thought were "only good" but most have been absolute awesome!

kkslider5552000

CanisWolfred wrote:

Man, Studio Trigger's new anime couldn't appeal to me more if they tried:

My body is ready.

It looks so good. ;__;

I'm just scared that its gonna be stuck in Netflix jail. I'm still upset that Little Witch Academia didn't get the attention it deserved because Netflix kept it in Japan for months and months.

Vinny

I'm watching Lain.

This blue eye perceives all things conjoined. The past, the future, and the present. Everything flows and all is connected. This eye is not merely seen reality. It is touching the truth. Open the eye of truth... There is nothing to fear.

PSN: mrgomes2004

kkslider5552000

Vinny wrote:

I'm watching Lain.

Fantastic choice. Serial Experiments Lain was amazing. I need an excuse to watch it again.

Laoak

I had never watched or read konosuba before and I only heard good things. I watched a few episodes over the weekend and have never laughed so hard at anything in my entire life. Great cast of characters and great humour. Can't believe I've not seen this show before: it's the perfect parody of the isekai genre. I've also recently picked up this zelda manga I saw in my local store. I had no clue there was even a Zelda manga.

{funny quote here}

kkslider5552000

I just finished season one a couple of days ago actually. Especially towards the end, it did some jokes that I've seen a ton of series fail at miserably to the point of being uncomfortably bad COUGH FIRE FORCE COUGH, so it was nice to see these types of jokes can still be...y'know, funny. But I wouldn't say its my favorite comedy either. Tbh, I wish it focused more on the villains, they were some of the real highlights, especially contrasting with the idiotic heroes.

Heavyarms55

Guys, if you aren't watching Somali and the Forest Spirit, you're living your lives wrong. Shows like this do not come around often! It's like some of the best studio Ghibli films, but a full length series instead! I almost cried in the second freaking episode! I'm always blown away by the visual creativity, and the animation is way beyond the average seasonal anime. The story is so original. It's like a fresh reminder of why I got sucked into anime in the first place!

I watch a ton of anime, I know how much seasonal stuff is just filling a niche for that particular season, good or not, a lot tend to be forgettable and blur together. But Somali and the Forest Spirit (Somali and the Forest God if you want the more direct Japanese title) is the real stand out show this season, standing way above anything else currently airing.

On another note, the we've got the 3rd season of "A Certain Scientific Railgun" this season airing. After the catastrophic train-wreck that was the 3rd season of "A Certain Magical Index" (the sister show that spawned the series) and the major let down that was the Accelerator spin off, Railgun is living up to its previous seasons, much to my relief! I loved the first two seasons of Index and Railgun and was so upset with how badly they handled season 3 of Index! Then when they took a character like Accelerator and somehow made him boring, I was legitimately afraid to watch this season of Railgun, since she is my favorite character in the franchise and if they ruined her story too I would have lost it.

But so far it's been amazing! It's like an anime version of the first season of Jessica Jones. Only anime-girl Killgrave is even more powerful! Not only can she control people, she can alter memories too! It's legitimately scary.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic