Forums

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Posts 12,321 to 12,340 of 12,364

Ralizah

Watched Otomo Katsuhiro's Memories tonight. I've owned the DVD for years, but have just now got around to it. While not all of the three films were equally compelling (the first one, "Magnetic Rose," is significantly better than the other two), it was a pretty wonderful experience all around. The animation is some of the best I've ever seen: almost completely hand-drawn 90's animation, and given the film's apparently large animation budget, everything is super-detailed and beautiful to look at.

@Tsurii I really need to watch Darling in the FranXX. The premise seems like it could make for a supremely stupid or weirdly insightful show. Maybe it's like Kill la Kill and is kind of a mixture of both.

@CanisWolfred Speaking of oldies-made-newbies, I really need to get around to watching all of the original run of Cardcaptor Sakura so that I can move on to Clear Card. I absolutely loved what I saw of it, but I had to stop halfway through for financial reasons (and wasn't about to watch the bastardized dub). It's too bad all of my VHS anime got lost along the way, as I'd be super nostalgic watching the subbed VHS tapes again.

It's crazy we're getting straight-up sequels to pretty ancient anime at this point (FMP and CCS). Not to mention another, more classic looking iteration of Cutie Honey!

Edited on by Ralizah

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

Tsurii

@Ralizah it's not really like Kill la Kill. I'd actually say the closest comparison would be Evangelion + Gurren Lagann with a hint of Shaft's framing (not their randomass cuts to, mostly, unrelated crap, but how they switch the format of a shot or show the general area for a second or two within conversations or exposition)

I actually enjoy it more for its character interactions and World building than the action sequences, and that's not saying the action stuff isn't good. That stuff is pretty cool as well.

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

Krull

I've been working my way through Trigun on Netflix recently. Just a couple of episodes to go. I was a bit put off by the art style to begin with, but it's turned out to be a terrific series.

Netflix is upping its game, isn't it? One Punch Man has recently landed too, so that'll be on my list.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589

kkslider5552000

So between the new FLCL and finally airing MHA, Toonami is finally picking up again. Thank god, I've been so worried about them for like a year. They've been hurting in a post-streaming world for a while, and even most of the good series they've been getting have honestly been like...a 7/10.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

GameOtaku

Picked up the Dragonhalf Omnibus Collection 1 over the weekend and it's an amazing read really hilarious. Makes me want to watch the 2 episode series of Dragonhalf just to see the zaniness in motion.

GameOtaku

CanisWolfred

@GameOtaku I remember that one...it was really weird...also unfinished.

Also, I recall one of the members here bringing up Gigguk's youtube channel, and I finally watched some stuff there a few eeks ago. TL;DR His stuff can be both funny and insiteful so long as he's talking about more general anime topics instead of focusing on one particular series. But really, I'm only mentioning that because his most recent video about anime that inspired him (along with his life cycle of an anime fan video) served to remind me how...out of touch I am with a lot of modern anime fandom. I fell off the seasonal wagon a while ago - I know I bring it up every season, but only because I like the discussion as a topic. I'll admit that I never actually keep up with anything week-to-week. I just don't handle schedules well, period. That'll never be my thing.

Even outside of that, though, I'm also reminded that I laser-focused my viewing habits, to the point where a lot of stuff just gets outright ignored. I'm not necessarily saying that's a bad thing, but it's part of why I don't even really talk about anime that much anymore. In that video, while it was neat to hear about his experience watching a show that connected with him...a lot of it ultimately fell flat for me, because the show in question just looked utterly boring to me, and I really couldn't focus on it. I can't stand contemporary settings in fiction, so when I encounter scenes that look like they were pulled straight out of a Royal Carribean Cruises commercial, I just started tuning it out, I had to switch tabs to keep focused on what he was saying. Mind you, I don't ever think that I'll ever get to the point where I do care about contemporary fiction, nor do I feel that should be necessary, but I never thought it would get to the point where I couldn't even relate to someone else who is sharing what I otherwise felt was a well-thought out and constructive narrative about how it made them feel...that's a bit worrying for me...

I dunno what to do about it, though. I guess I don't really watch anime-related opinion videos very often anyways, but I was also reminded that I did have a lot of fun talking about anime, and would like to do more of that. That might prove more difficult than I anticipated, though, if this recent experience is anything to go by.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

HeavenlyHalberd

Has anyone here read Ubel Blatt? I need something to fill the Berserk void in my life. How good is the world-building and characters?

College student, geek, boxer/runner, One Piece fanatic, wannabe activist, cat dad, actual EVA pilot

RR529

In a collaboration with Funimation, June's Japan Crate will be My Hero Academia themed. It'll have a special MHA themed manga-zine, collector's pin, and will loosely theme it's snack selection around the series.

I'm sure it'll be handled a lot like the Attack on Titan themed box they did back in January, which I'm sure you can look up online to get an idea.

Blog: https://rrblogweb.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hitman GO

Recently Beat: Castle of Illussion: Starring Mickey Mouse, Lara Croft GO, Front Mission Evolved

CanisWolfred

My thoughts while watching the first season of The Seven Deadly Sins:

"This show is great. Although, I don't like how they keep banging on about how strong the princess is when she just puts herself in unnecessary danger and gets in the way. Oh, and that pig mascot is really annoying and adds nothing to the story."

Episode 23 happens

"This show is great."

EDIT:

Episode 24 happens

"This show is garbage."

I'm only half kidding.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun

Tsurii

@CanisWolfred thank the production committee for Elizabeth and Hawk. Both contribute a lot more in the manga but for some odd reason they omitted a lot of stuff in the early story. Like, the most glaring example is probably the introduction of Griamore and Veronica, in the manga they actually meet Elizabeth a good bit before they arrive in Vaizel and in the Anime they just pop up at that tournament and disappear again.

If you've got time and access to it, definitely check out the manga as well because there's a bunch of things that are different and, in my opinion, even the smaller scenes are important to either character development (it's been ages since I saw the Anime, did Elizabeth actually take on Friesia/the female knight with the bugs? That scene was dope as heck and Ellie most certainly didn't act the damsel at that point) or to the story itself. Again, Griamore. He's so important for something that happens towards the end of the first part and he just isn't there for any of it lol

Like, why?

I still think the Anime as a whole is pretty good, but a lot of the decisions they made for it are utterly baffling. And not in the "it's not like my mango therfore it is trash" way at all. Just weird.

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

CanisWolfred

Tsurii wrote:

@CanisWolfred thank the production committee for Elizabeth and Hawk. Both contribute a lot more in the manga but for some odd reason they omitted a lot of stuff in the early story. Like, the most glaring example is probably the introduction of Griamore and Veronica, in the manga they actually meet Elizabeth a good bit before they arrive in Vaizel and in the Anime they just pop up at that tournament and disappear again.

If you've got time and access to it, definitely check out the manga as well because there's a bunch of things that are different and, in my opinion, even the smaller scenes are important to either character development (it's been ages since I saw the Anime, did Elizabeth actually take on Friesia/the female knight with the bugs? That scene was dope as heck and Ellie most certainly didn't act the damsel at that point) or to the story itself. Again, Griamore. He's so important for something that happens towards the end of the first part and he just isn't there for any of it lol

Like, why?

I still think the Anime as a whole is pretty good, but a lot of the decisions they made for it are utterly baffling. And not in the "it's not like my mango therfore it is trash" way at all. Just weird.

I'll have to keep that in mind, since I had been meaning to read the manga for years. I think I even have a volume or two digitally available through Viz's App on my iPad, I just...stopped using my iPad for anything outside of reading stuff online when I'm on the john.

And yes, she did take on the bug lady, but it was short and not well done. Like, it felt really forced and meant to paint her as a martyr, when it seemed like there were better options available.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun

NinTenHoe

Yes I'm currently watching the second season of seven deadly sins while waiting for the manga to release new chapters XD I'm too caught up!

The day you put the controller down is the day you've given up on life

Krull

Currently about halfway through Erased, thanks to Netflix. The story is fantastic. Best anime I've watched all year. Of course, it could drop the ball in the second half, but it's been excellent so far.

Switch ID: 5948-6652-1589

Spanjard

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Spanjard wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I'm just here to remind people to watch Little Witch Academia, because it is the best.

...Yeah, I needed that reminder. I haven't booted up Netflix in quite some time, so I keep forgetting about it.

I wanted to love it. On a personal level, and even though it’s considered cliche, I found that the intro was perfect. I loved everything about it. Till... he went to the actual academy and things went down rapidly for me. Just everything from characters, pacing and quality overall. I was really offended and gave one more episode a go, but it didn’t convince me to continue watching.

Did I watch filler or something? I’m curious if other people felt the same. I’m also open to continue watching if things get better, because I really liked it.

No, you're just flatly wrong.

also you're complaining about pacing of a Trigger show but have a One Piece avatar. Dude, cmon.

Yes dude, because every show is the same. You can always try and give reasons because that is always hard.
I started it again but I still don’t like it. The show just isn’t for me I guess, even though the beginning tries to be.

I recently started rewatching DB for the first time in japanese and I don’t think I can ever go back. The voices are just so good and make the english voice-over sound like a parody. Really fun! Also I think I’ve seen a few scenes up untill now that weren’t included in the western version, but I could be wrong about that.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

OmegaDestroyer

Anyone else reading Golden Kaumy or Kingdom? I used to enjoy both series but lately have found them to becoming quite tedious to read. I didn't really expect Kingdom to be a quick read but it really drags out during the battles. As to the Golden Kaumy, the large cast of characters is really starting to slow down the series. Hard to care about X's backstory when it adds nothing to the overall plot.

OmegaDestroyer

CanisWolfred

Caved and got an Amazon Prime Trial. Not gonna pay $13 a month to enable my barely-controllable buying addiction, but I will use it as an excuse to watch Grimoire of Zero and Re:Creator. I was considering throwing another in the pile, but I just don't have the time, I only have until July 28th to cancel it. Already enjoying Grimoire of Zero quite a bit. Hopefully Re:Creator proves to be entertaining. I think I've already predicted the ending after 1 episode, but I'm only really interested in the animated spectacle, anyways...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun

kkslider5552000

I'll be honest, I have no idea what new anime are out right now. I usually have some idea but despite paying more attention than ever, I've heard not much about anything. It's weird.

Apparently they made a really dark show with Banana in the title, that's'the most I know. Which is still better than anime titles that are just an awkward sentence.

Might get into some of the series from the past year or so I've missed out on like A Place Further Than the Universe or 91 Days or something...

I also started watching Serial Experiments Lain but the sound design already makes it clear I don't want to watch this series too often. I legit got a headache from episode 1.

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

CanisWolfred

@kkslider5552000 Probably because it's a dry season. Happens every summer. A lot of Season twos and threes, but otherwise I don't think there's anything worth getting hyped up about. I'm gonna try Angelmois next weekend, but I'm mostly just expecting good action and a historical setting that serves to remind me that Sucker Punch is making a new game...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun

RR529

I haven't been keeping up with anime at all lately. Every once in awhile I'll catch Jojo on Toonami, but that's about it other than when I rewatched the original GitS film last week.

Even on Netflix the last thing I watched was either A.I.C.O. Incarnation or that Godzilla: Monster Planet movie, whichever was most recent, lol (so it's been a few months).

Blog: https://rrblogweb.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hitman GO

Recently Beat: Castle of Illussion: Starring Mickey Mouse, Lara Croft GO, Front Mission Evolved

CanisWolfred

I should note that I've been rewatching a lot of stuff for a while, too. Never sure what to say about it a second time, though, so I usually don't bother to post about it. Various Gundam incarnations, that Netflix Godzilla movie, Madoka Magica, One Punch Man, and a few others I can't remember off hand.

I also see I didn't post a rant I was preparing regarding Darling in the Franxx, so I'll just give the short version:

It's annoyingly mediocre considering the talent that's working on it, especially in terms of writing and it's bland as heck main cast, and the amount of homages to other, better series further punctuates how much of a waste of my time it is. It's still pretty enough, with good fight scenes, and it's not terrible overall - even as a mecha series, I've put up with far worse over the years...but I don't have to anymore. There have been better series in recent years that I don't mind watching again instead. And you know what? I never did finish Eureka Seven, so the next time I get the urge to see anything Darling had to offer, I'll watch that instead. It's just a much better-written series, one that I still admire and think about to the point where I often forget I still haven't seen every episode yet. In fact, there's a second Eureka Seven series series...which is probably worse than the original in every way, but at least it means another 24 reasons why I shouldn't bother watching Darling in the Franxx again.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic