Forums

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Posts 11,761 to 11,780 of 13,106

Joeynator3000

Yay! I ordered the Strike Witches movie! I can finally see it! -w- lol

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

Joeynator3000

I heard about it, but i prefer dubs, so...it'll be a while till I actually watch that series. :c

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

RR529

So, apparently Toonami is going to be showing an anime film this Saturday called Children Who Chase Lost Voices.

It's going to be one long night! In addition to an extra hour being added to the middle of the block for the night (Daylight Savings Time is starting, and what programming they'll be showing during that hour is still unknown), the film isn't going to be shown until AFTER the regular lineup airs (when they usually show a movie, it replaces the normal lineup).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Rocko52

Hey guys! Just dropping again!

So apparently Toriko is ending within two weeks now. I remember talking about this a bit ago, but it definitely seems like WSJ is cleaning the slate. Gintama's apparently been close to its "final arc" for a while now as well. Pretty soon One Piece might be the only series left from 4+ years ago.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-11-02/toriko-gourme...

Anime watching: Mobile Suit Gundam, Lupin III, & Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
Reading: The Golden Compass

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7191-2654

Rocko52

@Tsurii Well if you wanna put it that way, most of the battle shounen have strong comedy elements - just look at One Piece. Still, I would definitely say Toriko is a battle shounen with comedic elements and not really a comedy itself. Personally I think Gintama is hilarious, but to each his own I suppose. That series is definitely a comedy tho. In any case, I think it'll be interesting to see where the magazine goes from here. I do love battle shounen for the most part, so I hope a worthwhile crop of new series arrive. My Hero Academia seems pretty great, though I don't know much about any other current series. Well World Trigger also looks pretty cool - same with Food Wars & Haikyuu. But that's about it anyway.

Edited on by Rocko52

Anime watching: Mobile Suit Gundam, Lupin III, & Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable

RR529

Last night was long going, but it was worth it to see Children Who Chase Lost Voices.

What an absolutely beautiful film. The environments had an insanely detailed, vivid, nature-esque richness to them, with characters that looked ripped straight out of a Ghibli production. With an adventure full of swashbuckling action in a fantastically strange yet beautiful land (with some equally strange creatures), with some light romance sprinkled in, it told a story with the overarching theme that no matter how hard you try, you can't bring back those that've passed.

It's a shame that they didn't advertise it at all until the commercial break right before they aired it (instead opting to soley focus their advertising on the Invasion III special which also started last night), and that they just sort of unceremoniously shoved it to the back of the block (only forgoing One Punch Man from the regular lineup). They could have at least forgone Shippuden & One Piece as well, and even accounting for the extra hour (daylight savings time), the block would have ended at it's normal time.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

DefHalan

I watched the first episode of Drifters on Funimation... I didn't really understand what was going on. Probably won't keep up on it.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

RR529

Read the newest DBS chapter, and apparently they have "Dragon Ball Kart"... somehow.

Kid Trunks hit Beerus with a turtle shell causing him to spin out, and Beerus destroyed his Gamepad (yes, they all had Gamepads).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Over the past few weeks I watched Samurai Girls. It's unashamedly fanservicey (sometimes to akward levels), but unlike most other harem shows it actually has a plot (including a reason for the MC to get into all these relationships), and it manages to do something different with it's art style, as the environments are done in the style of a Japanese brush painting. Can be a bit irritating at first because paint splotches spray across the screen while fighting (when certain characters transform, energy that looks like brush strokes surrounds them), but I got used to it.

Also, last night I watched Luger Code 1951, a new OVA. It was alright I suppose. There's a war between humans & werewolves, and the OVA sees some military scientists trying to capture a werewolf girl so they can use her to decipher the "Luger Code" (language hidden in wolves' howls), but it won't be easy. The animation quality wasn't quite up to par from what I expected from an OVA, and you can tell this is just one part of something that was meant to be bigger (probably just an adaptation of part of a longer manga).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Sorry for the double post, but this week on Imagine-Nation they had an Ikebukuro Special.

They were covering how Ikebukuro is trying to reinvigorate tourism by trying to compete with Akihabara as the go to spot for anime/video game culture in Japan.

They mentioned Otome Road, along which a series of seasonal rotating shops are located that cater to the female anime fanbase, the Princess Cafe, which contracts deals with various anime distributors, and occasionally changes theme based on an anime that's popular at the time (like the aforementioned shops, usually caters to the female fanbase I believe), the Sunshine Building, which houses many interactive anime/video game themed attractions & indoor theme parks (such as an interactive Yokai-Watch themed haunted house). The building also hosts the world's first exclusively themed Shonen Jump amusement park, J-World (they showcased the Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, and One Piece themed sections, though I believe there are more. Some of the attractions here looked really cool). They also talked about the city's annual Halloween Cosplay Contest, which is in it's third year (in relation they also showcased a cosplay shop which has many themed photo sets for patrons to use), as well as the recently opened Pokémon Center & Nico-Nico studio in the area (oh, and they also have a big time anime themed shop called an Animate).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

kkslider5552000

I've been rewatching the 2nd season of Slayers lately with some friends.

This series is somehow weirder than I remember.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

RR529

Watched Mobile Police Patlabor Reboot earlier tonight.

The animation was really good, and I liked the designs of the machinery, but the whole thing was just over 7 minutes long, so there's not much to say about it other than that (I actually thought it was supposed to be a full on movie...).

Maybe I should check out the original series one of these days, as I haven't seen it before.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

CanisWolfred

Oh hey, who here liked Blood Blockade Battlefront? Because it's your birthday!

Or not. It kinda depends on how much of an effect the staff change has on the overall quality of the show. But hey, at least it's getting a second chance!

Actually, I got, like, 4 other news things to post. I'll be back in a bit.

EDIT:

Panty & Stockings news if Forthcumming. I'd use a less obvious-try-hard joke there, but at least that fits with the humor I saw the last time I watched that show...

Code Geass is getting resurrected both figuratively and very ...

And oh, hey, Digimon Tri is still on-going. I knew it was more than just 3 films. It's 6 films. I guess I'll continue waiting (and sporadically rewatching the old series during the interum).

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Rocko52

Oooh I heard about the Panty & Stocking news - that's mildly exciting. Depends on who's left at Gainax now - after Khara and Trigger took so many of the talented artists. Maaaybe they can do colab stuff with the original creators but idk.

Didn't know about BBB tho - that's pretty nice! Bones is a great studio.

Anyways my semester is coming to an end in a matter of weeks - so I should finally have time to watch anime again. (Finish the stuff I'm "currently" watching will be priority) Until then tho I gotta get cracking on finals & final projects! Wish me luck!

CanisWolfred

@Rocko52 - Good luck, Rocko. I got some stuff to finish, too, actually! I forgot I still had 3 more episodes of The Unlimited to watch, and I also still need to finish Season 2 of Aldnoah.Zero, both of which I wanted to finish this year...and it's almost December now...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Rocko52

@Caniswolfred Hopefully the holidays will give you some (if not less) time to get that done! As for me, I'm lucky in that I get a nice month long break. Plenty of time to finally finish/start more anime.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic