Forums

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Posts 11,461 to 11,480 of 13,106

DefHalan

So I just finished Sword Art Online Season 2... what was people's problem with it? I thought it was pretty good.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

kkslider5552000

DefHalan wrote:

So I just finished Sword Art Online Season 2... what was people's problem with it? I thought it was pretty good.

I think the main problem is that the last arc of season 1 was so bad that season 2 would have to be AMAZING to make people care again.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

DefHalan

kkslider5552000 wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

I think the main problem is that the last arc of season 1 was so bad that season 2 would have to be AMAZING to make people care again.

I really enjoyed the arc of the first part of Season 2. I don't think they will ever re-capture the magic that was the first half of Season 1 but Season 2 was still good.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

RR529

Well, I finished up Eureka 7 AO tonight.

I felt the plot was interesting & it definitely kept me hooked to the end, but it very much built it's premise at the expense of the first series' conclusion. It was akward seeing Renton appear in a more antagonistic role, though he really was trying to do good from his perspective. Oh, If you were confused by the first series beware, as it's time shenanigans would cause Doc Brown to have kittens.

As for the set-up, the first half of the series followed a "monster of the week" formula which felt odd at times (despite the generally serious nature of the show, their abstract foes sometimes took on some silly looking forms that would be more befitting of a more lighthearted show, such as a giant frog, snake/jack-in-the-box, and even a carnival ride), though the second half featured some intense mech to mech battles.

The updated Nirvash looked pretty awesome IMO, though Fleur & Elenas' mechs looked too "busy" for my tastes, if that makes sense.

As for other aspects, it looked great animation wise, I really liked the song to the first opening credits (it really felt like something that'd fit in with the fare in the first series), and it was a real treat to see Eureka & Renton all grown up, though I thought Renton looked a little too old, though maybe Eureka just ages better/slower.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Wheeler

Finally got a chance to see Macross Delta ep 10.

Damn it, Kawamori! I was beginning to ****ing like Messer-kun.
Untitled
Sleep well Shinigami. You will be missed.

Wheeler

RR529

Man, I've been thinking about that bittersweet ending to Eureka Seven: AO all day today, as it really just sinks in.

It's just not something I'd want/expected from a sequel to E7, and it just does not feel right (it even dampens the happy ending of the original, IMO, now that I know what's to come after...).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Chibita64

I started watching an anime called Student Council's Discretion. It's pretty funny.

Currently playing: J-Stars Victory VS. (PS4), Ms. Pac-Man (PS4), Mole Mania (GB/3DS), Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES/Wii)
Currently watching: Hack My Life, Impractical Jokers
YUGAMI NEE NA!

CanisWolfred

@RR529 Now you kinda see why people weren't too kind to it when it came out. That, and the silly parts near the beginning that you mentioned. Oh well, at least it wasn't more Aquarion.

Seriously, why does that series keep getting dug up out of the grave? It's such a bizarre series-

You know what? I'm gonna stop there. I had a lot prepared to say about it - criticisms, possible inspirations such as Masami Obari and Getter Robo, and examples of how crude and tactless its writing can be...but then I went and looked up clips about the "merging" sequences for the parts that become the robot, and how in the first season, that often involved the pilots orgasming while their "spirits" (read: barely censored naked versions of themselves) glow in the beauty of three units coming together.

But the sequence was even worse than I remember. It wasn't just the blatancy of the innuendo that turned me off the series, it was the frequency - how it permeates every single scene. Oh, and also just how squicky it gets.

And then I saw the clip for the second season's combining sequence, where in the middle of a battle, the good-guy's commander says to the female pilots: "without the constricting burdan of clothing, the senses become stronger - more acute. Remove your suits and let nakedness rivet you to the pulse of life! The newfound freedom will allow you to sense your enemies' moves with utmost precision!!" - all with 100% seriousness.

And they do it. And they suddenly become awesome. Then the girls (and one dude who appeared from off-screen) merge and have orgasms while talking about the intensity of their newfound sensations.

I believe I have now answered my original question. Now excuse me while I go look for classes on containing one's curiousity...

EDIT:

Oh geez, I seriously need those lessons - I decided to take a quick peek at the director of Aquarion to see what other B-Level shlock he might've made (like maybe some hentai or ecchi stuff)...only to get hit like a bat to the head with the sudden realization that it was created, directed, and written (well, he "supervised" the script, at least) by Shoji Kawamori, the creator of the absolute classic Macross franchise........a shock that wore off the minute I remembered that Macross hasn't had a sane entry since the original series. Heck, the immediate follow-up was Macross 7, a series about a bunch of rockstars who save the universe from evil aliens because their music is so obnoxious that it gives the aliens migranes - and I'm only slightly exaggerating! They try to come up with a flowerier explanation as to why it always causes them to suddenly grab their heads screaming until they pass out or fly away, but there's really no getting around it - they suck, and they win. I guess it's supposed to be a metaphor for mainstream musicians...

And honestly, looking at the other series he's created:

Basquash!
The Vision of Escaflowne (!!!)
Earth Maiden Arjuna
Nobunaga The Fool
AKB0048 (This one surprised me more than it should, especially considering Macross Delta, of which I believe Kaiserwave has provided us with more than enough proof of what I mean)

Even kid shows like Earth Family Defense and Animal Detective Kiruminzoo

This guys basically specializes in taking the most insane concepts and trying to make a cohesive show around them, usually with little to no subtlety (I believe Escaflowne is the only black sheep here, and I think that's because he wasn't directing). Granted, I also wouldn't say any of them are nearly as bad - maybe AKB0048, but that was mostly a modern version of Macross 7, in retrospect.

I guess it wouldn't be a gamble if it payed out every time...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

RR529

Oh hey, we're getting a future Trunks arc in Dragon Ball Super (hopefully it's decently lengthed, and a bit more serious than what we've gotten so far).

Trunks got his butt whupped by a mysterious enemy known as "Black" (who looks just like Goku, wearing a Potara earring). Oh and Trunks is working (and apparently romantically involved) with Mai, though that's a bit of a contradiction (she's only Trunk's age in the "real" timeline because the Dragon Balls were used to make the Pilaf gang kids again sometime after the Buu arc, but there aren't any Dragon Balls in future Trunk's Earth, since Piccolo was killed by the androids way back when).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

CanisWolfred

Tsurii wrote:

Well...it happened. HxH went full-silly-billy T.T

Not sure if anyone here reads it weekly, but I don't get what people liked about the last chapter.

It was just bad.

Togashi pulled a Naruto-tier asspull and no one cares, they all just scream gleefully and pretend it's the best thing ever when it's closer to being the exact opposite. But Suzuki actually going with the logical development in Seven Deadly Sins and opening the series up to some insane **** somehow makes him an awful writer..I think I'm done with forums lol

HxH had it coming tho, the first chapter after that last hiatus was still part of the last batch, and it was what you'd expect from the series: clever.
But everything since then was just..underwhelming, getting worse with every week and it all culminated in the appropriately named chapters disappointment and disappointment (2)
I hope Togashi just had a bad month and that he'll return to form next week, because I'm very darn close to being done with one of my favorite series because of one, massive screw-up.

1) It took me about 5 minutes to realize that HxH referred to Hunter X Hunter, and not some continuation of High School DxD that was going for a bigger bust size.

2) The manga is still ongoing? They've actually been releasing new chapters this month? And are you implying that new chapters have been successfully released the previous month as well?

That just made my day. I don't care what kind of @$$ he pulls - he can pull all the @$$es for all I care, so long as it means that the story edges closer to some kind of conclusion.

Also: I forgot about The Seven Deadly Sins. I should read that. I don't have Manga access on Crunchyroll, though...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Rocko52

@Caniswolfred

Ah - it's nice to see you're back! Sorry for the rather tardy welcome - my visits to this site have been quite erratic for a while tbh. I'm glad things seem to have gone well for you - and nice to see you're still passionate about anime! Although I recall frequently disagreeing with you, (and a lot of people on here in my noob days) it's undeniable that this thread & you helped shape my early explorations into anime drastically, so thanks for that ha. Since it's been forever, I remember you were very hyped about Kill la Kill and One Piece's latest arcs, but I have no idea what if you've seen either since I last talked to you. Have ya seen either yet?

On the topic, I quite like both, and I am of the opinion that Trigger has continued to be one of the most creative and fun studios operating, their Gainax pedigree shines through, but they've definitely developed their own style. Out of all of this season's anime, Space Patrol Luluco, and Kiznaiver, continue to be the stand-outs for me.

Also I won't spoil, but I've been following HxH's latest chapters as well, and imo, they are not at all ass-pulls. Honestly this Dark Continent Expedition Arc, (despite how horrendously its currently 18 chapter length has been spread over 4+ years) is one of the most exciting and compelling shounen stories I've read ever. I mean, I completely adored Madhouse's adaptation, (aside from very minor nitpicks) and it stands as one of my favorite anime ever, with the Chimera Ant Arc easily my favorite battle shounen arc ever. That said, I think this current arc has all the potential to best even that masterpiece, and that is no small task. Togashi's A-game has been on full throttle since the first chapter of the arc, and he's even managed to elevate his art well above passable, to down-right brilliant at times. Really, HxH has not declined at all, as long as Togashi manages to hold his health together, (oh god) I can only see it on an endless climb up.

And yeah the series returned in April, and he's gone 8 weeks with no breaks - unbelievable I know lol. His last 10 chapter spurt was from June-September 2014, let's hope he at least makes that count. But honestly this arc is so good, I'm willing to be drip-fed it as long as it takes.

Edited on by Rocko52

Anime watching: Mobile Suit Gundam, Lupin III, & Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
Reading: The Golden Compass

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7191-2654

RR529

WatchMojo has had some questionable Anime Top 10's in the past (IMO), but I just watched their "Most Intelligent Villains in Anime" video recently, and it takes the cake.

They gave the 6th spot to Super Buu (DBZ), lol. Buu is many things, but intelligent isn't one of them, lol.

For reference, the full list was:

10. Crocodile (One Piece)
9. Orochimaru (Naruto)
8. Griffith (Beserk)
7. I want to say it was the Female Titan (Attack on Titan)
6. Super Buu (DBZ)
5. the main little Nazi guy from Hellsing Ultimate
4. Naraku (InuYasha)
3. a villain from Monster
2. Father (FMA:B)
1. Light Yagami (Death Note)

Interestingly enough, no sight of Bleach's Aizen (not even in the Honorable Mentions).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

kkslider5552000

I think you put more thought into writing that post than WatchMojo does in making videos.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Chibita64

@RR529 I used to watch WatchMojo, until they put Family Guy as number 1 on their Top 10 Cancelled Cartoons list. Sure, FG was cancelled, but it was revived unlike the other shows on the list. TWICE no less.

I remember the other day one of the people I follow on Twitter and subscribe to on YouTube made a tweet saying that she was done with WatchMojo. Then, the CEO jumped in to give his two cents on it. The CEO's reply wasn't rude, but it was a full on head scratcher.

Currently playing: J-Stars Victory VS. (PS4), Ms. Pac-Man (PS4), Mole Mania (GB/3DS), Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES/Wii)
Currently watching: Hack My Life, Impractical Jokers
YUGAMI NEE NA!

RR529

Anyhow, The other day I watched the newest episode of Imagine-Nation, and they were highlighting a manga called Hour of the Dead (I think that was the English title, anyhow).

It's a zombie series set in a high school, but the twist is that the zombies randomly become normal humans again after some time, then zombies, humans, etc. in a cycle. It follows the main cast as they try to avoid becoming zombies, while debating whether or not to kill their zombified friends, or find a way to reverse the condition for good (the way it's set up, the zombified characters even have personality since they occasionally return to normal, meaning the reader may sympathize & wish for the survival of the zombified characters, just as much as they do the human characters). Of course, this causes conflict amongst the cast, as certain characters have only particular zombified friends they want to protect, while others may want to cure (or kill) them all.

I'm personally not interested in it (not big on the genre), but it sounds like it has a unique twist, so I figured I'd bring it to everyone's attention. They said it either has or is getting an official release in English, French, & German.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Rocko52

So Kiznaiver & Space Patrol Luluco are - unsurprisingly - my favorite anime of the season. TBH I have an incredibly spotty record with following any seasonal shows ever, (Kill la Kill was another exception) so this really goes to show how much I love Trigger. Both are incredibly different, but incredibly fun & stylish shows. I can't wait for their respective finales on friday & saturday. These shows (as Gainax & now Trigger, always have) are abounding in great direction, animation, character design, aesthetic, and voice acting. The studio's never disappointed me so far, and I eagerly await whatever they cook up next.

Anime watching: Mobile Suit Gundam, Lupin III, & Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable

CanisWolfred

My only complaints with Studio Trigger's shows is that their co-founder apparently is in serious need of ritalin, judging from Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, Kill La Kill, and now Space Patrol Luluco. KLK in particular would be much, much easier to enjoy if it weren't constantly assaulting my senses in every. Single. Frame. It never stops moving, and there's just constant sight gags all over the place, not to mention the insane story that technically works, yet still never ceases to make me confused and uncomfortable. There's "cranking it up to 11," and then there's dailing it up so high that you start vomitting out your own organs...

Anyways, I've been watching a lot lately, though I've mostly been ignoring the simulcasts.

Most recently, I resumed watching Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans. I stopped towards the 2/3rds point because I heard the dub was going to air soon. Unfortunately, it seems the dub is exclusive to Toonami, and I don't have cable television anymore. I guess that'll be my treat when I get the DVDs. Which I'll definitely want. This is quite easily one of my favorite Gundam series ever, especially in terms of full TV series. The characters are extremely fleshed out, and it's really hard not to get caught up what they're going through. There's a lot of nauce in the writing, with a lot of attention put towards natural dialogue and motivations (a.k.a. the two biggest complaints that are constantly leveled at any Gundam series).

I wanna give examples and say a ton more, but I also don't want to be here all night, especially when I haven't finished the series. All I say is that with Gundam Unicorn, Thunderbolt, and The Origin, Iron-Blooded Orphans has been the icing on the delicious Gundam cake I've been wanting for too damn long...though, Thunderbolt is more like the sprinkles, admittedly. Really sharp, and while it looks pretty, I always feel like they went overboard, and need to tone it down. That's probably fitting, considering the jazz theme, though...

Jeez, okay, I'll try to keep the rest quick so I'm not up all night again:

Star Driver - I restarted this one recently out of sheer curiousity, and it is still silly. Maybe even crazy, in the traditional sense of the term - I can't seem to figure out any sort of overarching theme or symbolisms, it all just seems to exist in its own world. If anything, that's probably the closest it gets, considering the Zero-Time zones the enemy mechs create.

But then again, maybe I'm just not used to good writing that doesn't hamfist its morals and themes down your throat with barely concealed innuendo. Kinda like Captain Earth, the immediate follow up to Star Driver, and continued proof that lightning cannot strike twice in the same place.

Dai-Guard - I'm about halfway through this one, but it's been a real treat. The entire premise can be summed up in a single sentence - "Office workers saving the world in a giant robot built on a budget" - but I am genuinely impressed how committed it is to that concept so far. It's a deconstruction of Super Robot tropes, but without all the usual Eva-esque baggage, and with plenty of office shinnanigans that help to keep the tone light, while also keeping in perspective the fact that, even with giant monsters attacking, people still have to live out their lives. Honestly, the only reason I haven't finished this yet is because it sounds like the obligitory recap episode might actually be required watching, kinda like in Eureka Seven and Gurren Lagann...

And speaking of Gurren Lagann and Euraka Seven, I restarted up both of them back in May. GL is still a treat, but seeing as I actually finished that one several times before, any more will have to wait until I clear my anime backlog some more. E7, on the other hand, I stopped at episode 27 for some reason. I'll have to get back to it sooner than later, since I've been really enjoying it this time.

And I'm not sure if I remembered to mention this before, but I watched Gargantia of the Verderous Planet from beginning to end, and it was brilliant. Utterly brilliant. Top 10 at least.

I also watched a lot more Fairy Tail while I was gone (Uh...up until the filler arc before the Grand Magic Games start. Mostly because it seems like it might be decent for filler, and I'm not sure if I want to skip it), along with One Piece and Dragonball. That's probably it for stuff I forgot to mention before, but I know there's stuff I watched more recently that I'm forgetting, too...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

RR529

Really, my favorite shows of the season have been My Hero Academia & Kabenari of the Iron Fortress.

The former, while it does have some silly elements (most notably the kid that grows detachable sticky spheres on his head), has been really fun (and is my favorite out of these two shows). All Might in particular is pretty awesome, and the best anime American since Chibodee Crockett (his feat last episode was DBZ levels of awesome). Still, I really like how Midoria's power is still way too much for him, and he has to find ways to use it effectively, while not overdoing it, and taking himself out.

The latter is just a real visual stunner. It started out as a pretty standard zombie story (though I like the steam punk Edo era motif), but now that they've introduced a proper villain, things are actually starting to get pretty interesting.

I'm also still following the second season of Kyokai no Rinne, which is just as good "comfort food" this year as it was last year, and Joker Game, which is decent (it's really one that depends episode to episode).

Of course, DBS as well, but I don't really consider it a Spring anime, since it's always ongoing.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Rocko52

@Caniswolfred Huh Gargantia on the Verderous Planet? That was actually one of the first anime I watched, (it along with AoT were the first seasonal shows I followed - only finished Gargantia though heh) I remember quite liking the show & its aesthetic, it had a very pleasant feel and some great animation, if I recall. That said, it doesn't stand out all that much in my memory. Just curious what made it such a winner for you?

Also - I do agree that Imaishi's directing style is very frenetic, crass, and visually packed & I get that it's hardly going to work with all tastes, but I just find an infectuous sense of fun and excitement in all his work.

Following Kill la Kill week by week was great, and although I've started much later with Luluco and Kiznaiver, (started Luluco only about 3 weeks ago - Kiznaiver last week) there's just something delightful about Trigger shows. I've actually been watching both of them with my younger sister, who's quite enthusiastic about them. A lot of my geeky interests have kinda brushed off on her over the years, anime not the least of which, although she hasn't really seen too much. (She is only 12, so there are plenty of good shows that she might not be able to handle yet) She tends to prefer comedic series or short shows, so Luluco was a fantastic introduction to Trigger, and Kiznaiver turned out to be up her alley as well. I'd hesitate to show her too much more of their catalogue, but it is really fun to share an experience like that with her.

@RR529 My Hero Academia is another show I've been meaning to get into at some point. I read the first, maybe 10 chapters about a year ago, and I remember it seemed pretty fun. From what I've heard the anime is even better, so I definitely plan to watch that. (in the nebulous future...)

Come to think about it, this season has been pretty stellar for anime hasn't it? I'm loving the 3 shows I'm watching, while MHA, Kabernari, Sakamoto, and Flying Witch also sound like really good series. It's nice to have such a plethora of good shows this cour, I wonder what'll be on the plate this summer.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic