Forums

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Posts 11,421 to 11,440 of 13,139

RR529

Anyone else catch the first episode of My Hero Academia?

It has it's quirks (pun intended), but it has promise. They gave a decent enough explanation for everything (pretty much the X-Men excuse. These powers are the next step in human evolution), and it was pretty fun.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

WiiWareWave

Does anyone know any good anime thats main theme is based on a transformation curse? E.g. Ranma ½ gender curse, or tranformation curses into animals or other things like that Zodiac themed animal curse series "can't remember its name". Any suggestions?

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

Switch Friend Code: SW-6328-7327-5891 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

RR529

Joker Game premiered today.

Only one episode in of course, so not much of an opinion yet. I think the biggest thing is getting used to the idea of the Japanese being presented as the good guys in a WWII era story. The art is really nice, though.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Wheeler

Not much to watch this spring season. Watching:

Hundred (read the manga, saw some of the LN pics, already guarantee the MC is better than Ichika. Also, Hundred's Char is top-tier girl).

Gundam Unicorn (let's see how well the tv version does. Still waiting for 3rd episode of The Origin).

PTW:

Gakusen Toshi Asterisk 2nd (already know is going to be crap, but what the hell).

Macross Delta

Ace Attorney

Probably going to watch some of my backlog anime. Think I'm going start with Casshern Sins.

Edited on by Wheeler

Wheeler

Wheeler

^Switching boy to girl back & forth? You can try Kampfer.

Wheeler

DefHalan

So it took me long enough but I finally finished Your Lie in April. It was really good. Totally recommend it. Hit me right in the Feels.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

RR529

I finished up watching the first episode of Kabeneri of the Iron Fortress, and it looks like it's going to be pretty awesome. I'm not too excited over the general story, which is yet another twist on the zombie apocalypse tale, but the show's world is a mix of Steampunk & Edo Era Japanese style, which is very interesting. Also, the animation is top notch.

Also, Onigiri premiered. It's complete cutsie fluff with no real substance, but it's episodes look like they're only going to be 3-5 minutes long, so it looks like it could be a decent enough way to unwind after Kabeneri (really only watching this one for it's feudal era theme).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Wheeler

Taking a stroll down childhood-lane. Re-watching Zoids: New Century. Can't believe Xebec did this series, and the OST was amazing to hear again. All thanks to music composer, Kow Otoni (who worked Gundam Wing & Outlaw Star). This was my favorite track:

Best part is 00:51 - 01:14. Let's go, Liger! Strike Laser Claw!!! Good times.

Wheeler

DefHalan

@kaiserwave: I love that show. Only need Vol 6 DVD for my collection, but it is always super expensive

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Chibita64

I'm so glad to be back and seeing you guys again.

The only anime I've watched recently is Osomatsu-san, but I want to watch the Spring 2016 ones soon. I plan on watching the Ace Attorney anime, Tonkatsu DJ Agetaro, and My Hero Academia.

Edited on by Chibita64

Currently playing: J-Stars Victory VS. (PS4), Ms. Pac-Man (PS4), Mole Mania (GB/3DS), Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES/Wii)
Currently watching: Hack My Life, Impractical Jokers
YUGAMI NEE NA!

RR529

Parasyte: The Maxim finished up on Toonami last night!

I ended up really liking it. It was really well animated, had an interesting story, and some great action. I also loved it's old school vibe, with it's "what if all this fantastical stuff was going on in the real world" elements. I only wish they had explained where the parasites came from, or how they came to be (earlier on it looked like they were going to delve into this, but never did).

Also, glad to see you back, @YoKaiSergio151! My Hero Academia is looking like it's going to be good fun (I've seen the first episode).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

HankLangley

YoKaiSergio151 wrote:

I'm so glad to be back and seeing you guys again.

The only anime I've watched recently is Osomatsu-san, but I want to watch the Spring 2016 ones soon. I plan on watching the Ace Attorney anime, Tonketsu DJ Agetaro, and My Hero Academia.

Tonkatsu DJ Agetaro is cooked, my man.

Also, is no one talking about new JoJo? New JoJo, let's go

real Italian meatballs are made by real Italian meatball men.

Used to be Doge

3DS Friend Code: 3394-3778-3936 | Nintendo Network ID: Gansano

Chibita64

So I was reading about this anime called Bakuon!!, and the premise sounds..... really, REALLY stupid.
The whole show is about a girl joining a motorcycle club at her school, but the whole "moe girls do moe things at school" is done to death. Like, what else can you possibly do with that idea? It's almost as bad as the "idiot father" trope.

Look, I'm not against moe or slice of life anime, as I do enjoy them. Anime like Lucky Star and Azumanga Daioh are textbook examples of good slice of life anime. But this, this just..... uhhh.

And yes, I'm familiar with School-Live!, which I've been meaning to get to, but I've heard that it's like the Madoka Magica of moe anime (Madoka Magica is the deconstruction of the magical girl genre of anime, whereas School-Live!! is the deconstruction of the slice of life genre)

Man, I'm a 16 year old ranting about slice of life anime. I guess I needed to get that off my chest. Aww well I'll move on somehow.

Edited on by Chibita64

Currently playing: J-Stars Victory VS. (PS4), Ms. Pac-Man (PS4), Mole Mania (GB/3DS), Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES/Wii)
YUGAMI NEE NA!

RR529

Kyokai no Rinne returned today (well, yesterday, but I didn't get the chance to watch it until today)! It's nice "comfort food" so to speak, for those who like Rumiko Takahashi's style. I can just relax watching it.

Speaking of My Hero Academia, episode 2 was today as well. All Might may just be the best anime American since Chibodee Crockett (though no one could eclipse Chibodee, ever).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

In addition to keeping up with the new anime season, over the past couple weeks I watched through an anime called Cat Planet Cuties.

It's a generic harem at it's core, but the best thing is it knows it's cheesy, and plays to that fact. Yes, it is about a teenage boy who finds himself host to catgirls from space, but it relishes in the silliness of it all, with nods to retro B-Movie sci-fi tropes everywhere, and even randomly has cameos from the Sacred Blacksmith in one episode (which just happens to be another short anime I watched last year).

I think a lot of the credit should go to the localization team, as there were a torrent of cat-tastic puns, as well as nods to all sorts of old TV shows like Star Trek (especially Star Trek), I Dream of Genie, Bewitched, Charlie's Angels, and more. (I guess these could have been in the Japanese version, but for some reason I have a feeling most of these were added in the English release, to point out/get in on all the silliness of it all). Heck, there was even a dog who constantly laughed like Muttley from Whacky Racers (and was even called Muttrey).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Oh man, the newest episode of Dragon Ball Super was actually awesome! Not just by DBS standards, either, but maybe even by overall Dragon Ball standards. The animation even looked a bit better too (it's not the main reason why it was so good, but it was nice).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RevolverLink

I'm watching Sailor Moon for the first time in nearly twenty years, and it's more fun than I remembered. Yeah, the plots are rather thin and repetitive (especially since the early going is so filler-heavy), but the characters are a delight, especially Usagi.

I've also watched the first two episodes of the Ace Attorney anime. It's not gonna win any awards for animation, but I was pleasantly surprised at just how faithful it is to the source material. Guess it helps that Shu Takumi himself is involved.

The Revloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-4605-3581-8608 | 3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

Chibita64

I want to read/watch the works of the manga great Osamu Tezuka. He's considered the Walt Disney of manga, and I've been interested in his work, especially because many of my favorite manga artists cite him as an influence. I want to see Astro Boy, Unico, Black Jack, and Kimba the White Lion.

Edited on by Chibita64

YUGAMI NEE NA!

kkslider5552000

YoKaiSergio151 wrote:

I want to read/watch the works of the manga great Osamu Tezuka. He's considered the Walt Disney of manga, and I've been interested in his work, especially because many of my favorite manga artists cite him as an influence. I want to see Astro Boy, Unico, Black Jack, and Komba the White Lion.

So do I. Honestly I've considered for a while doing a crazy researched video series about his work. Probably would do it if I thought anyone would watch it.

I did see the first subbed episode of the original Astro Boy anime a while ago. It's good but also some of the craziest misunderstanding of "consistent tone" ever.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic