Forums

Topic: Anime & Manga (NO SPOILERS PLEASE)

Posts 11,121 to 11,140 of 13,141

RevolverLink

Dressrosa really is outstanding. Not that I didn't enjoy the previous New World arcs, but the Dressrosa arc has just been a whole different level of One Piece.

Edited on by RevolverLink

The Revloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-4605-3581-8608 | 3DS Friend Code: 4339-3392-1142 | Nintendo Network ID: RevolverLink

CanisWolfred

Tsurii wrote:

I'm glad that the arc is finally over. Really didn't like it at all for the most part. The pacing was just all over the place (as per usual in One Piece), Oda kept throwing new characters, I didn't care for at all, at the reader and I hate how he just jumped between 4 or 5 places around midway through. It wasn't bad, definitely nowhere near the sorry mess that was the Fishman Isle arc (even some of the worse filler in the Naruto anime were better than that imo), but I had serious trouble keeping up with what exactly happened for a good chunk of the arc, because of its strange pacing. That and I always had trouble making stuff out in Oda's art. I've been watching and reading OP for over a decade and still don't like the art too much, but I guess it speaks volumes for the story, if I still "bother" following the series despite that
The last chapters were pretty good, tho, I'd say ever since the big flashback a while ago, and the climax was on-point, but I'd still say, that Dress Rosa is one of my least favorite arcs so far. It just went on way too long in my opinion. (I think if I had to rate it, it would be a 6/10 for me, which is still good imo)

Untitled

Minus the "respectfully" part.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

jump

I watched the first few episodes of Squid Girl due to the Splatoon DLC news and I'm not impressed by it, I see the appeal but it doesn't gel with me. I also had my girlfriend insist I put my headphone on to watch as she found their voices really annoying.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

CanisWolfred

arronishere wrote:

I watched the first few episodes of Squid Girl due to the Splatoon DLC news and I'm not impressed by it, I see the appeal but it doesn't gel with me. I also had my girlfriend insist I put my headphone on to watch as she found their voices really annoying.

It's not for everyone. I've only seen the first few episodes, but that was enough to tell me I'd like it...then again, it's pretty much "more Sgt. Frog" from what I've seen, and there's no way I can complain about that...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CaviarMeths

Squid Girl is an adequate time sink. I don't think I could manage to sit down and marathon it, but an episode here and there is OK. Could say the same for a lot in the "cute girls doing cute things" genre.

For less cute, more comedy aquatic-themed anime, try My Bride Is a Mermaid.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

CanisWolfred

You know, "wanting to see an overly busty character do stuff because she doesn't seem to be in any decent hentai" was never a good reason to watch anime, but already I regret trying to watch Jungle de Ikou. It's not just the horribly racist overtones and lame duck comedy that upsets me, nor the fact that said busty character's bust never stops moving. It's actually the transformation sequences. Seriously, I've put up with some weird transformation scenes, and I've always been hesitant to call something "pedophilic", but I can't think of any other way to describe 12-year-olds doing this and especially this...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

CanisWolfred wrote:

You know, "wanting to see an overly busty character do stuff because she doesn't seem to be in any decent hentai" was never a good reason to watch anime, but already I regret trying to watch Jungle de Ikou. It's not just the horribly racist overtones and lame duck comedy that upsets me, nor the fact that said busty character's bust never stops moving. It's actually the transformation sequences. Seriously, I've put up with some weird transformation scenes, and I've always been hesitant to call something "pedophilic", but I can't think of any other way to describe 12-year-olds doing this and especially this...

I think you should show this to all the Fire Emblem Fate whiners who have no idea how tame and decent they have it.

I've grown to appreciate Japan's neverending intentionally ridiculous sexy comedy, but that was genuinely painful to watch.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

RR529

Just finished up Gunsmith Cats Burst (manga)!

While branded as a sequel, it acts as more of a direct continuation of the original (which was left pretty wide open), though you can tell some time has passed between the two series, as the mangaka's art is definitely sharper here (though it's still really good in the first series as well). As for the content itself, it's just more of the same, but if you liked the first series, you'll like this one too. The gunfights were an action packed good time, the high speed car chases really got the blood pumping, and the characters really played off each other well (the addition of revenge crazed detective Percy Bacharach was a great addition in this second half). I found it (the whole series) to be a really good time, and I'm quite baffled as to why it never got a full on anime adaptation (it certainly has the quality for it) instead of just the one OVA it got.

While I did love it, there are a couple of things I take issue with. First off, while I have no problem with the presence of fanservice, I did feel uneasy with any May related fanservice (I mean, they themselves know there's something wrong with her design when they have to remind the readers ad nauseum that she's really 18-20 years old. BTW, as for the wide age gap, it's because time does pass in the series... though her appearance never does), and I just had to cringe everytime they brought up her romantic subplot, which just made it worse (she does take on a more passive role in the second series, though). That's the biggie, but I also wasn't completely satisfied with how it ended. It wasn't bad, but the big final confrontation didn't end with the character I thought it would, even though the final arc centered around that character's big "revival" of sorts, after their defeat near the end of the first series. While not as open as the first series' ending, it just didn't leave you with that really satisfied feeling, you know?

Overall though, it was just a really good time.

Edited on by RR529

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

OutCold

I have been thinking about picking up the Akira manga, has anyone else read it? I have loved the movie since watching it almost 15 years ago and owning 3 different copies. J/w'ing if there was some stuff in the manga that the movie left out.

Also started JoJo's, 5 episodes in and I'm already thinking it's going into my top 10 list lol!

the unattainable is unknown at zombo com
MH4U/MHG/MHW: Guts
~ close eyes, perceive with mind ~

Arminillo

Punch Line the end. I dont know how I feel about it. It's almost like they didnt know where they were going with it...can you even call that an END?

3DS name: Arminillo
3DS FC: 1118-0310-8459

"The Rich Boy wakes Up, But is Handsome."
-DeviousSnorlax

Nintendo Network ID: Arminillo

CaviarMeths

OutCold wrote:

I have been thinking about picking up the Akira manga, has anyone else read it? I have loved the movie since watching it almost 15 years ago and owning 3 different copies. J/w'ing if there was some stuff in the manga that the movie left out.

Also started JoJo's, 5 episodes in and I'm already thinking it's going into my top 10 list lol!

I've only read the first 20 or so chapters of Akira, but it was fantastic. There's so much more story there than there was in the movie, so definitely check it out if you loved the movie.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

RR529

Well, now I've started on Ikkitosen (manga). In relation to similar manga I've read, it's certainly no HSDK, but it's also miles ahead of Tenjo Tenge (which is like the one manga I stopped reading due to it getting excessively creepy as it went on).

It's a martial arts battle manga, and while there is some technobabble, the only things you really need to know is that the spirits of famous warriors from "The Romance of the Three Kingdoms" era of Chinese history are trapped/stored within beads, all of which are in Japan (after a ship in the area carrying them was attacked a few centuries ago), and are exclusively distributed amongst high school delinquents because reasons. These beads give the owner superhuman fighting abilities, and as fate would have it, history is trying to repeat itself, as the schools now represent the various kingdoms that vied for power. Of course, our heroine happens to hold the spirit of a special game changing warrior that can end it all (if she trains properly), and the villain(s) want to change fate, creating a new history.

It's pretty decent so far. The action has been fun even if it's sorta been there done that, I really like the art style, I'm not huge on the delinquent angle (especially since the style seems to be influenced by the hip-hop craze) though it hasn't been unbearable by any means, and the fanservice is okay by me (there aren't even any characters with questionably young looking designs, as of yet).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

CanisWolfred

kkslider5552000 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

I think you should show this to all the Fire Emblem Fate whiners who have no idea how tame and decent they have it.

I've grown to appreciate Japan's neverending intentionally ridiculous sexy comedy, but that was genuinely painful to watch.

I was tempted to, since it's not the only example of horrible "fanservice" I've seen...I remember once getting into an argument here where someone tried to claim that anime has gotten too fanservice-y in the wrong ways recently. I kinda wish I could show that person Jungle de Ikou and a few others to prove my point - it's always been bad, it's just that stuff like that always gets forgotten years later. Only the shows with some kind of substance stand the test of time. And I think it's telling when Agent Aika has more substance than that piece of crap...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Joeynator3000

HAH! Found the first part of Squid Girl for a reasonable price...only $15-ish. owo

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

nacho_chicken

Sergio151 wrote:

I watched Lucky Star earlier, and it's good. I love the references (especially that Sgt. Frog reference!). Not to mention Lucky Channel!

Lucky Star was actually my first anime that I watched (well, besides stuff like Pokemon and Digimon). I don't know how, but it was. It makes both a horrible starting point and a great one. On one hand, it's a slow-burning moe-filled slice of life anime that immediately shoves you deep in the weaboo end of the pool. On the other hand, the dub is fantastic compared to many others. I'm constantly rewatching it, because I missed like 95% of the references the first time, and catching a new one after watching something else is great. It also explains otaku terminology (E.G. Tsundere, Moe, Yaoi) very well.

Jack of all trades, master of some

Twitter:

Tobiaku

Bought the manga Kisses, sighs and cherry blossom pink today

Tobiaku

3DS Friend Code: 1977-0291-4355

WiiWareWave

I watched Samurai 7 on Pluto TV's Anime Channel and it was a thoroughly enjoyable anime. Didn't expect it to be so good.

Edited on by WiiWareWave

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

Switch Friend Code: SW-6328-7327-5891 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

Joeynator3000

Sergio151 wrote:

@nacho_chicken
I have to agree with you on that one. i had a hard time getting into the series (especially since the first episode had to do with the main female characters debating how they ate certain foods). However, the show just grew on me.

@Megumi
I heard that the Squid Girl DVD'S are really low in quality. Not because of the episodes, but because of the DVD case. I've heard people say things like "The DVD discs fall out." or "The case scratched the discs."

Also, earlier I was listening to some of Weird Al's polka medleys. And I was thinking, what if he did an anime polka medley? And if he did, what songs would he choose?

Are they anything like the Futurama cases? Because those seem fine for me, never had too much trouble with those.

Edited on by Joeynator3000

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

WiiWareWave

I found the dubbed version of Naruto Shippuden The Movie 6: Road To Ninja for $9.99 at EB Movies so I decided to purchase it. Will tell you what I thought of the movie tomorrow.

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

Switch Friend Code: SW-6328-7327-5891 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

nacho_chicken

Started reading the Glass Mask manga a few weeks ago and I couldn't stop. Despite appearing to be a generic shoujo, it doesn't fall into any of the pitfalls of the genre. has a ton of well-written and memorable characters, and quite the interesting story. I highly recommend it to any fans of classic literature or theatre.

Also, apparently there's an anime adaption I've never heard about and it's on Crunchyroll. I'm at about where Episode 31 is in the manga. Gotta watch that sometime.

Saw that article this morning. It's definitely a show the mainstream American audience will appreciate.

Edited on by nacho_chicken

Jack of all trades, master of some

Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic