Forums

Topic: American vs. British accents

Posts 101 to 116 of 116

Bankai

theblackdragon wrote:

LollipopChoSaw wrote:

No, no, no, no.

A Long Black needs to be barista-d. It's not a Long Black if it's instant or percolated - that's just black coffee.

Long Black is a term for a way to make a coffee, not what it looks like after it's made.

[/div]

ffs, why does talking to you make me feel like i'm standing in an episode of Frasier? lol... in all seriousness though, if you're that particular about your coffee, what were you doing in a Starbucks to begin with? they're usually seen as worse than the dirt beneath even the tamest of coffee snobs' feet.

You do realise that I take that Frasier thing as a massive compliment, right? So... thanks?

Anyway, a long black isn't anything special. As I said, every cafe in Australia does it, and it's one of the most common drinks. That long blacks might not exist in the rest of the world is really not something that we think about here

AlexSays

L4DYK0M1C wrote:

While we're off topic, I approve of the new avatar.

10/10

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

Radixxs

the_shpydar wrote:

Radixxs wrote:

I can do a mean New England/New York accent although I've never been there

[/div]

[/div]

You do realize that NYer and New Englander accents are not the same, don't you? And for that matter, there are multiple "New Englander" accents as well — a metro-Bostonian sounds nothing like someone from rural Maine, for example. Likewise with NY accents — downstaters/metro-NYC area folks do not sound like upstaters.

Yeah, I'm not completely dense. I'm not sure what state or region my impersonation is, I just imagine an angry NY car salesman.

I've got the body of a taut, pre-teen Swedish boy.
Covers & Korg DS-10 Originals.

Bread-Not-Toast

Hello there guvnor.
What a spiffing day,it is today.
One shall have some Tea,while One search's this forum.

PSN- Crossword-Man
3DS Friend Code- 3067-6402-2163
Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeKk-kKUlvYeZSW2XbVrsqQ
Latest Review: Star Wars Battlefront Beta
Please add me as I need more friends.

Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

RancidVomit86

Every time I go north people say I have a southern accent but I don't notice it. Really thought I didn't have one but guess it comes in the south.

Battle.net - Dayman
Steam - RancidVomit86
PSN - RancidVomit86

Where my friends and I usually get stupid:
https://www.twitch.tv/MUDWALLHOLLER - Come by hang and visit our Discord. The link for Discord is on the Twitch page.

Let's Go Buffalo!

Magi

See...this is why I don't drink coffee. Does Coke taste the same everywhere or do different countries have slightly different ingredients?

Magi

Wheels2050

Magi wrote:

See...this is why I don't drink coffee. Does Coke taste the same everywhere or do different countries have slightly different ingredients?

Nope, tastes different.

I don't think the actual ingredients change that much, though they alter the relative amounts to cater for the tastes of a given market.

I used to have a blog link here. I'll put it back up when the blog has something to read.

Bankai

Wheels2050 wrote:

Magi wrote:

[/div]

Nope, tastes different.

I don't think the actual ingredients change that much, though they alter the relative amounts to cater for the tastes of a given market.

I'm pretty sure there's some slight tweaking that goes on, but one of the main differences I suspect will be the water itself. Coke's water doesn't come from the same source for the entire world, and each different source of water is going to taste different.

It's the same with beer. Take a really awesome Japanese beer (let's say, Sapporo), and give the brewing license to an Australia brewer (let's say... Coopers), and even when they follow the exact formula, it still takes like vomit.

ThePirateCaptain

RancidVomit86 wrote:

Every time I go north people say I have a southern accent but I don't notice it. Really thought I didn't have one but guess it comes in the south.

Those people all must have northern accents then.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

Nintenbro

@Magi, I've been informed that Coca Cola tastes better in Mexico.

On subject, this debate is useless. There are too many different types of North American accents and only one British, that I know of. Is everyone going to take into account every type of North American accent, while comparing them to the British?

Examples:
Brooklyn - "Forget about it!"
New Orleans - "You can do it!"
California - "Totally nardly dude!"
North Dokota - "Dont cha know?"
Inner City African American - "Waaaz uuup!?"

Edited on by Nintenbro

Nintendo Bro
3DS FC: 3222-6658-7489

Currently waiting for Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon & Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate

IanMage

I'm from Oregon, so I supposedly have a "western" accent. That doesn't mean I say, "howdy ya'll!" However, I have met people who believe that people from the west talk like that; it's crazy what people think. I went to Washington DC and people spoke exactly the same as I do.

3DS friend code: 1160-9727-7802
Wii U ID: ianmage1
I'm working on an animated feature film called "WhiteLand." Check out my progress: http://www.youtube.com/user/ianmage1

the_shpydar

@Nintenbro
There is definitely not just one "British" accent. There's not even just one English accent.

Rose Tyler: If you are an alien how come you sound like you're from the North?
The Doctor: Lots of planets have a North!

Edited on by the_shpydar

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

theblackdragon

Nintenbro wrote:

On subject, this debate is useless. There are too many different types of North American accents and only one British, that I know of.

I've gone ahead and bolded the most important part of your sentence. there are quite a few different accents in the UK, man — educate yourself if you like. :3

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Bankai

Nintenbro wrote:

@Magi, I've been informed that Coca Cola tastes better in Mexico.

On subject, this debate is useless. There are too many different types of North American accents and only one British, that I know of. Is everyone going to take into account every type of North American accent, while comparing them to the British?

Examples:
Brooklyn - "Forget about it!"
New Orleans - "You can do it!"
California - "Totally nardly dude!"
North Dokota - "Dont cha know?"
Inner City African American - "Waaaz uuup!?"

Accents aren't speech mannerisms, buddy.

GameLord08

the_shpydar wrote:

@Nintenbro
There is definitely not just one "British" accent. There's not even just one English accent.

Thank you. I love you.

GameLord08

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.