Forums

Topic: A Music Thread

Posts 1,981 to 2,000 of 2,048

skywake

@Rambler
Just saw theneedledrop's top 10 worst albums of the year. It was #4

I was watching it expecting it to be on the list at some point. I was almost at the point of wondering if I should just keep it as a laugh if it made it to #1 on the list. Almost. Apparently all the top 3 spots were reserved for the cookers, which is fair enough I guess

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Rambler

@skywake
That and Spotify are going to keep me busy later

I've had a really awful year this year, so dont even have a favourite top 10, let alone a worst!

Rambler

skywake

@Rambler
Yeah, I didn't get that deep into music released this year either. I mean I listened to a fair bit of musics and there was a period there where I was pretty much just listening to new stuff. But none of it really stuck

The Smile was good, King Gizz had some mid-tier King Gizz stuffs which was nice. Black Country New Road was pretty solid. Probably the album from this year that stuck with me the most was The Chats - Get F***ed which I wouldn't call "good" more just a whole lot of fun

With that said, I have a playlist on spotify I've been maintaining for years that at the end(ish) of every year I add a couple of tracks to from an artist that's not yet on the list. For this year I've added Richard Dawson - Civil Servant and A Tribe Called Quest - Butter. And I think those two track sums up where I was at in terms of music this year than anything new

Edited on by skywake

Rambler

@skywake
I was pleasantly surprised by the Chats album. Not heard anything by them before, and it was lots of fun. The polar opposite of my favourite band to come from Australia - The Necks - but both are a band of mavericks in their own ways.

Soul Glo and Wu Lif were lots of fun this year. I'll have to dig about to see what else. 2021 was a class year for me, music-wise, but with what else has been going on for me, I've not kept track

Rambler

skywake

@Rambler
I sold the MGK album to my record store. Ended up spending more than I got for it as you do when you walk into that place

Walked in with MGK, walked out with A Tribe Called Quest and Run DMC. Very almost also brought Outkast, Silverchair and Smashing Pumpkins. It is a dangerous place that store

Rambler

skywake wrote:

@Rambler
I sold the MGK album to my record store. Ended up spending more than I got for it as you do when you walk into that place

Walked in with MGK, walked out with A Tribe Called Quest and Run DMC. Very almost also brought Outkast, Silverchair and Smashing Pumpkins. It is a dangerous place that store

Oh god I know that feeling!!
Why buy one record when you can buy 10???

Rambler

sunny63

I'm looking to put a nintendo ringtone, ideally from a game I played, on my phone. I'm thinking the Fairy Fountain theme. What would you recommend?

sunny63

chipia

link_ wrote:

Speaking of 70's youtubecore.

Yes, this is awesome. I often wonder if this album was an influence on early video game composers. The 5th track in fact sounds like Zelda's Lullaby, lol.

chipia

skywake

Random thing I was just thinking about after noticing that Nevermind and Low End Theory released on the same date. What year do you reckon was the GOAT for album releases?

I mean for a start, 1991 right there puts up a solid show with Nevermind, Low End Theory, Loveless. I kinda feel like 1993 puts up a fair fight 36 Chambers, Souvlaki, Siamese Dream and more recently 2016 was a good showing, A Moon Shaped Pool, Nonagon Infinity, Avalanches comeback with Wildflower. But I kinda feel like 1991, maybe wins?

Kinda wonder what other people think

jump

@skywake thats a hard one as music is so generational that it can wildly sway depending on who the listener is. Like I had a spare tix to Guns n Roses last year (not a huge fan but they have tunes and the unthinkable happened with Slash and the others reuniting so I wanted to see them) so I asked my teen brother if he wanted to go and his response was “who are Guns n Roses” yet he listens to some cringe indie-pop bands who he would put on the top of his list.

It was way before my time but I like ‘77. The Sex Pistols, The Clash and The Damned's debut albums (well just punk in general really) plus Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours and David Bowie’s Low seems like a cool year. Edit Also strong albums from Bob Marley, Iggy Pop, Queen, Motorhead and AC/DC too after actually looking up what was released that year.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

jump

Glastonbury the alleged bestest festival in world (I prefer Boomtown myself) which famously caused Brexit by having all the lefty hippies and hipsters be off partying rather than voting have made their firt line up announcement this year.

A rare metal/hard rock act in Guns n Roses has been announced as headliner (due to Taylor Swift pulling out at the last moment apparently), Elton John finally gets to play on his farewell tour with htis being his last UK show and one of the most disappointing live acts I've ever seen in Arctic Monkeys are back again plus Cat Stevens takes the legend slot.

My various other reactions are I didn't realise Goldfrapp is going by Alison Goldfrapp now, Lizzo is gonna be a show stealer, do people care about Alt J anymore as they aren't trendy or appealing to the old hippies and hipsters, it's nice to see Sparks are still kicking about and I need to see Lil Nas X for his blend of country rap. No Wet Leg, Fontaines D.C., Charli XCX and Wizkid is a surprise after having a strong year but they are probably touring elsewhere.

Untitled

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Rambler

@jump
"Goldfrapp is going by Alison Goldfrapp now"
Goldfrapp is the name of her band, so I guess she's gone solo?
Same as when Polly Harvey started out. Her band was called PJ Harvey, and when she went solo it was as, um, PJ Harvey. Hmm, that didn't work out as a comparison.

Are Royal Blood still a thing?

It's a funny lineup - I guess over the years they are broadening their appeal - hence all the old bands. But the breadth of music styles is becoming more impressive, away from the (admittedly I've never been so this is my talking nonsense) indie rock on the stages and the psytrance in the tents of the 90s.

Silverfish did an album called Fat Axl, so here's a bit of Silverfish

Rambler

jump

@Rambler I'd add in Marilyn Manson fronting Marilyn Manson too.

I kinda like Royal Blood, they are one of those bands that everything they have done since their debut would just be filler on their debut. They seem to have a lack of sense of knowing their audience though, when I saw them they had At The Drive In supporting so you’d think they are one of those noisy alternative bands but their live show has girls dancing in cages which isn't really a noisy alt rock thing so I don't reckon Royal Blood know what their crowd is which is why the new music lacks direction.

Yeah ever since Michael Eavis handed over booker duties to his kid Emily they've had blaze trailing ideas of booking rap and pop on the main stage too with a lot of patting themselves on the back for booking Jay Z to headline as if other festivals weren’t booking Public Enemy or Cypress Hill to headline a decade or two before them lol. But they have always had loads of stages (over a hundred I think) so like there is a jazz stage or the afrobeat stage etc but now there’s more emphasis of diversity of genre unless it's an odd metal act where someone like Gojira plays to a crowd of 50 people on the post-punk stage which is normally filled with the likes of Idles or Slaves.

I think it's more to do with indie rock losing it's appeal as unless they are a busker with a loop pedal like Ed Sheeran there's not been as many guitar acts breaking through the same way in the 90/00s where someone like Kaiser Chiefs were hot enough to do staduim shows at the time or bands like Muse, Biffy Clyro or Mumford & Sons were regualry produced. Even the big young bands like The 1975 and Bring Me The Horizon have been around years and years but just aren't as old as everyone else. Then again the underground/non-mainstream music scene is always more interesting and people have been talking about how rock music isn’t fashionable anymore for decades now.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Kermit1doesmath

Swimming With Dolphins is underrated.

dysgraphia awareness human

Anti-Matter

Sandra Ann Lauer musics are very dreamy 80's music with her high pitched voice.
She has face looks similar as supermodel Paulina Porizkova during her age in 80's era.
This one song from Sandra I like to listen.

Anti-Matter

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic