Forums

Topic: A Music Thread

Posts 1,581 to 1,600 of 2,048

Dr_Corndog

Wow, this thread's been going on a while.

Here's a recent track from a band that's not generally known for this type of music:

Here's a recent track from a band that is known for this type of music:

Here's a classic from a woefully underappreciated band:

And here's Gavin Harrison, because this man is amazing:

Edited on by LzWinky

Dr_Corndog

Nintendo Network ID: DrCecilCorndog

CanisWolfred

REMINDER: Please do NOT embed videos!

Deep Purple - Soldier of Fortune <-- I just randomly looked to see if there was a song called "Soldier of Fortune" and I was not disappointed.

Rainbow - Temple of the King and Rainbow - Man on the Silver Mountain (alternative link with better audio >_<) <-- So Dio had worked in another band before going Solo? Did not know that. I can certainly hear the influence, though.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

bezerker99

With the recent court ruling of plagiarism against Robin Thicke and Pharrell for their hit song "Blurred Lines" I thought it would be interesting to see just what other songs in popular music have ripped off or sampled other songs. I'm sure there are a lot out there but each time I think of this topic my mind keeps coming back to Vanilla Ice.

We all know that Ice Ice Baby got away with ripping off Queen and David Bowie's hit Under Pressure. Yes, it went to court and Rob Van Winkle won, unbelievable!!!

OK, so we all know about that song^. Since Vanilla Ice is one of my musical guilty pleasures, I have some other songs from him that I believe he has ripped off and I'd like to share.

From his Mind Blowin' album, Vanilla Ice's song Fame has a very Voodoo Chile-esque (by Jimi Hendrix) riff to it.

From the same album, the song Blowin' My Mind sounds like he ripped off my homeboys, Hall & Oates' Sara Smiles.

This next song actually went to court with Vanilla Ice having to pay $500,000 to songwriter Robert Parissi in a copyright infringement lawsuit. Apparently, the Ice Man recorded his own version of Play That Funky Music and did not give credit to Wild Cherry, who recorded the original classic.

No wonder Suge Knight allegedly held Vanilla Ice upside down by his ankles over an 8 story balcony because he was owed money. I can totally see that now!

RR529

Finally got around to getting some music on my tablet:

"I Can't Drive 55" - Sammy Hagar
"City Escape" - Crush 40
"Live & Learn" - Crush 40
"The Power of Love" - Huey Lewis & the News
"Back in Time" - Huey Lewis & the News

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RR529

Anyone know of any good "upbeat" rock music? Stuff like City Escape (Crush 40), Back in Time (Huey Lewis & the News), and The Power of Love (Huey Lewis & the News).

Or how about songs like Hikari/Simple & Clean (Utada Hikaru), Suteki Na De (Nobuo Uemetsu), and Like a Phoenix Rising (Ace Combat: AHL)? I'm not sure exactly how to describe the genre. They're all too soft to be Pop (except maybe Hikari/Simple & Clean), but whatever they are, they're quite beautiful & make me feel at ease.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

CanisWolfred

RR529 wrote:

Anyone know of any good "upbeat" rock music? Stuff like City Escape (Crush 40), Back in Time (Huey Lewis & the News), and The Power of Love (Huey Lewis & the News).

Or how about songs like Hikari/Simple & Clean (Utada Hikaru), Suteki Na De (Nobuo Uemetsu), and Like a Phoenix Rising (Ace Combat: AHL)? I'm not sure exactly how to describe the genre. They're all too soft to be Pop (except maybe Hikari/Simple & Clean), but whatever they are, they're quite beautiful & make me feel at ease.

1) Look up "Ska". I was looking for stuff like that recently, and apparently there's a whole genre I never knew about that specially in that kind of music to a degree. Only one I can mention with good conscience at the moment (and it is more of a "caribbean-influenced" band blending various genres together) is Funkist. However, while they have a ton of music on iTunes, (EDIT: Nevermind, the internet still thinks I'm Japanese...they have exactly one album on the US iTunes...) they have nothing on the Google Play store. Thankfully you're not just limited to Google Play music, IIRC.

That said, I'm sure someone else could come up with more. While I like fast-paced music, "upbeat-themes" are not really my jam...

2) Perhaps you're looking for "Soft Rock"? I used to listen to a lot of that when I was a kid, there was a radio station that played just those kind of songs. Anything by Fighting for Five and Coldplay should be good, and I'll be back with some more specific songs. Probably wind up listing a lot of songs by Billy Joel and Elton John. Plus A lot of bands have at least one single like that.

As for Japanese bands, Nobuo Uematsu specializes in flowing orchestral music like Suteki Na De, although I don't think he's done a lot of vocal tracks. But do check out Machi (a collaboration). In fact, check out the entire album of Journey by -Akane-, it's fantastic, and probably more what you're looking for. Easily one of the best Albums I've bought in years.

And of course a lot of songs by BUMP OF CHICKEN and Asian Kung-Fu Generation have to be mentioned. And if you can find some albums by The Pillows, definitely check them out. Same with Sakanaction. But if you're talking specifically from the Google Play store, I so far can recommend the titular song of Surely Someday (as well as Because from the same album) by Yoko Kanno (the rest of the album isn't that great, IMO, but you can still check them out) is pretty neat.

But mostly I recommend going through the "Songs from Similar Artists" thing at the bottom of the Google Store page and seeing what you can find. I'm doing that right now and I'm already finding new bands I should check out.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Dizzy_Boy

@RR529 you might like these.
Flock o f seaguls - I ran

Public Image Ltd (P.I.L) - Rise
Hollywood Beyond - What's the colour of money
Steve Miller Band - Abracadabre
Peter Gabriel - Sledge Hammer
paul Simon - 50 Ways
Streetband - Toast
David Bowie - The Laughing Gnome

Dizzy_Boy

Twitter:

CanisWolfred

MasterBlaster wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Untitled

Where has this song been all my life?!

Playing on every classic rock radio station around the world 500 times a day since the 1990's

Hold on a second...

Google Searches

Ooooh, that's a radio...

Never would've thought to look for it there. Awesome song, why u hide from me?!

No seriously, I've never once purposely listened to a classic rock station...or any station outside of the two I mentioned, both of which were close together, so I never had to go past any other station. I was not a music fan growing up. For 11 years of my life I only had 5 CDs. One of those was actually a Queen Album...which didn't have this song and was the only one I got tired of, so this is the first time I've actually listed to a Queen Song in about 4 years...

Obviously I'm trying to listen to more music across the ages, but it's a rough transition considering my general lack of experience...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

RR529

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I'll be sifting through it all when I get the chance.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

CanisWolfred

RR529 wrote:

Like a Phoenix Rising (Ace Combat: AHL)?

BTW, I've been listening to this song a lot. It's a very disturbing song. Like, the lyrics aren't uplifting at all, despite the rest of the song sounding very flowing and upbeat...they're actually kind of...I dunno. It just sounds like what I would imagine a siren's song sounding like. This part got to me the most:

Why do you still challenge me?
You can't win
It's not your destiny
Like the moth who flies into the flame
You won't return
You'll lose your name

^That sounds like someone saying "you can't escape me" to me...the whole song feels like that, actually...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

RR529

CanisWolfred wrote:

RR529 wrote:

Like a Phoenix Rising (Ace Combat: AHL)?

BTW, I've been listening to this song a lot. It's a very disturbing song. Like, the lyrics aren't uplifting at all, despite the rest of the song sounding very flowing and upbeat...they're actually kind of...I dunno. It just sounds like what I would imagine a siren's song sounding like. This part got to me the most:

Why do you still challenge me?
You can't win
It's not your destiny
Like the moth who flies into the flame
You won't return
You'll lose your name

^That sounds like someone saying "you can't escape me" to me...the whole song feels like that, actually...

Hmm, I've always kind of felt that she was singing from "your" perspective, considering the name of the song & that the symbol of your squadron in the game is a phoenix.

But yeah, I'd say it kinda has a dark beauty. The melody is soothing & calm despite the severity of the situation. I also feel that she's kind of sad about the situation. There are times when its inferred she wants to bring peace, and she's sad that the enemy won't simply surrender, even though they seem to be fighting a lost fight, which kind of echoes the last few missions in the game:

After you occupy the enemy capital & the government officially surrenders, the hardliners who started the war escape in a nuclear submarine, and first try to destroy their own capital with a nuke, and then hole up in a command center built to withstand all out nuclear war with the intent to start just that.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Dizzy_Boy

These are for anybody who haven't heard of Princess Chelsea. She's one of those few artists that happens to be quite unique and quirky, but still very enjoyable. Anyway, just listen.
Were so lost

Yulia
Overseaes
Ice Reign
Caution Repetitive
Monkey Eats Bananas

Dizzy_Boy

Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic