Forums

Topic: 42% of Gamers are Female (and other fun statistics)

Posts 21 to 29 of 29

GameLord08

@shingi_70: Well, to me, a gamer (both casual and core) is someone who takes an interest (even slightly) in games, usually plays them on some kind of basis, and well, generally keeps gaming as a hobby. But each to their own.

GameLord08

JayArr

A cook isn't a fair comparison because that is often associated with a profession, and very few people game as a profession. I think a runner would be more appropriate. If you ask someone if they are a runner only the people that do it on a regular basis are going to respond yes, and not the people that have ran once in the past year. Unlike nuke13's assumption, I imagine the question was, "Are you a gamer?" and not "Have you played a game at least once in the past year?" Only the people that consider themselves gamers would answer yes.

In my opinion, Gamers are people that play games on a regular basis. I added that little asterisk to the end because I knew people would say, "That's not Hardcore! That doesn't count." People that play Farmville/Angry Birds/Bejeweled every single day just as much gamers as someone who plays Skyward Sword/Uncharted/Skyrim once a week. Different strokes for different folks.

[insert 25 Cents here to play]

theblackdragon

I'm a person who enjoys playing games. Why am I so special just because I'm female?

i will never understand why gender is so important to some people. same for people's obsession over what games someone has to play in order to be a 'real gamer'. :/

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Malkeor

@Jayarr: I agree with your second paragraph.

However the reason I made the cook reference is because it was the only thing on my mind at the time, and it is also why I said it could be a hobby too. people who enjoy cooking can be considered cooks. If I enjoy swimming and do it often though not competitively or for a team, then I can be called a swimmer when referred to that way.
If you just enjoy swimming every now and then, you aren't necessarily a swimmer, or particularly good at swimming. But you can also be, if you want to be, referred to as a swimmer if referenced as such.
It can be COMPARED and referenced in the same manner because if you look at someone as a gamer, you have to assume that is what they enjoy and do regularly. It's the same thing with any other activity.

Well enough with the mildly confusing subject and i'll end with...
In my personal opinion I label gamers as people who play games often, and not just the same game or two. Like a game on facebook or angry birds on their Ipad/Iphone.
But I respect and would agree with people who can say gamers can be people who enjoy games, but not to the extent WE do, as the vast majority on NintendoLife

Edited on by Malkeor

3DS Friend Code: 4296-2988-0518
Currently playing:
Kid Icarus Uprising
Radiant Historia

Geonjaha

theblackdragon wrote:

I'm a person who enjoys playing games. Why am I so special just because I'm female?

i will never understand why gender is so important to some people. same for people's obsession over what games someone has to play in order to be a 'real gamer'. :/

You're a female? 0.o
Genuine suprise - obviously theres no way to tell on NintendoLife, but maybe thats the point.

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

Malkeor

Dragoon wrote:

I once threw a ball at a wall. Doest that make me an athlete now?

Now grab a racket and, you can call yourself a squash player

3DS Friend Code: 4296-2988-0518
Currently playing:
Kid Icarus Uprising
Radiant Historia

Geonjaha

Dragoon wrote:

I once threw a ball at a wall. Doest that make me an athlete now?

I hope you didnt do that outside in direct sunlight - that stuff's dangerous...
Huddles into corner of dark room clutching 3DS :3

Edited on by Geonjaha

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.