Forums

Topic: 255FF

Posts 1 to 13 of 13

Raylax

http://www.255ff.com

Hi folks. I've just finished rebuilding my website, and I'd love to get some initial feedback on it. On there, I'll be posting some of my game concepts (which will be the main bulk of the site), and perhaps some game reviews in the blog section. And probably other assorted junk too.

If you guys have any suggestions on things to add, I'd love to hear it. Thanks for visiting

Wow, do I hate making threads like this.

Raylax

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1400-0117 | Nintendo Network ID: RaylaxKai

Rensch

Perhaps, making it a bit more visual. I don't know whether you're the technical designer type or the more visually inclined person like myself but it is rather simple.

Oh, and people don't like "click here to enter" screens, usually.

Edited on by Rensch

Friend code 3DS: 4210-4747-2358

Raylax

Yeah. I can't do art. At all. Seriously. That 255FF logo is about the most visually complex thing I've ever created. And that's just a case of Cooper Black font, copied on top of itself, and then skewed a little for the angle. I've tried to make it a bit more visually interesting by changing the layout and background for the Pyn project page, and as I add more project pages they'll likely get their own themes too. I'm quite new to coding in XHTML and CSS, so I'm not yet confident enough to try anything especially complex (still trying to get to grips with JavaScript), but the site exists pretty much to give me a reason to keep practicing at it. So I guess it'll look better as time goes on

As for the splash screen, I put that there to give a little variety to the site and let me try some bits of Javascript that wouldn't fit elsewhere (the date, time and browser boxes). I'm not exactly expecting regulars (the previous site design racked up a total of about 10 visitors in 4 months), so I'm not too worried about people not liking to have to click past it on each visit.

Raylax

Rensch

I do like the colour scheme, though. Some people who are really good with PhotoShop, GIMP etc. tend to make their sites visually overwhelming, forgetting that it distracts from the actual contents of the site. That is surely not the case here.

Friend code 3DS: 4210-4747-2358

NotEnoughGolds

Now, how do I reach the 37711111111 forum page?

NotEnoughGolds

Raylax

NotEnoughGolds wrote:

Now, how do I reach the 37711111111 forum page?

Wait until I set up a forum, and then make 37711111110 topics and wait for a new one

Raylax

V8_Ninja

Nothing special, but it works. Like everyone else has said, a little more visual flare would be nice.

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery: http://backloggery.com/v8_ninja

Monix2598

You should put some background designs up. IMO i dislike the color of it and you should lose the welcome screen. just my opinion. I myself have a website at: http://gamerheaven.bigforumpro.com/ I think i did a good job on the site. looking back at it i think i still got some sprucing up to do. but yeah your website is nice. nothing too special but it's still great.

Edited on by Monix2598

Monix2598

Raylax

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I'm working on a few sprites for the Pyn project, so maybe once they're done I'll use them to decorate the site a little. Like I said above, I am completely awful at art, which is why it is currently visually lacking. And it's all been coded from scratch myself, as opposed to using free site tools like Freewebs or Weebly (I can't even afford Dreamweaver or similar WYSIWYG editors, so this is made entirely in Notepad. Which I kinda prefer doing, tbh), so I don't have premade templates to modify bits of to get it looking fancier.
I might also have a hunt around for more free stock art (like the little icons used on the navigation bar and etc), to perhaps decorate the headers and add nicer borders to the main content area, but I really want to avoid overkill. It's meant to be simplistic in design, but I agree at the moment it's a little too simplistic.

@Monix: Dude, change your font colour. Your forum is damn near impossible to read.

Raylax

Monix2598

Raylax wrote:

@Monix: Dude, change your font colour. Your forum is damn near impossible to read.

How? most of the red font is on grey background color. i orignally had the font white but it was harder to read so i changed it to black and it was even harder to read. all the other colours wouldn't really go with the site so i just stuck with red.

Monix2598

Raylax

Monix2598 wrote:

Raylax wrote:

How? most of the red font is on grey background color. i orignally had the font white but it was harder to read so i changed it to black and it was even harder to read. all the other colours wouldn't really go with the site so i just stuck with red.

Red on the dark grey is fine to read, but red on the lighter grey of the post colours and forum list is giving me a headache. Made the grey darker and it should solve your problem.
Don't think I'm just trying to find fault with your site because I don't like it or whatever. I could've immediately ripped it apart by pointing out its a free stock forum and all you've really done is changed a couple of the graphics and altered the colourscheme. But I can respect anybody who has an interest in making a website or online community of some sort, so I wish you the best of luck with it.
Heck, We all start somewhere

Wow, that place has been dormant since 2008 and Forumotion haven't pulled it down?

Raylax

Bobpie

Yeah, the Red on the Light Grey is painful, but on the darker grey it looks really cool. Cool colour scheme by the way.

The Pie O' Bob be watching you...

Monix2598

Bobpie wrote:

Yeah, the Red on the Light Grey is painful, but on the darker grey it looks really cool. Cool colour scheme by the way.

thanks. @RayLax i don't think i can change the forum post colurs without changing the whole color of the site. i'll give it a shot though.

Monix2598

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.