Forums

Topic: 2018 FIFA World Cup

Posts 41 to 60 of 198

Lroy

@Agent721 Czech's had a great side back then. Poborsky, Nedved are names that still rattle around the ol' noggin even if I may have misspelt them, lol!

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast πŸ•Ή | πŸš€
Retro Gamer | Digital Pinball Fan
Adult Switch Gamers Discord

Fafounet

@Lroy @OorWullie Count me in, just signed up!
As my compatriot @Agent721 stated before, πŸ‡«πŸ‡· all the way!!

Finally I get my fair share of gaming.
Praise the Switch!

Switch Friend Code: SW-7348-1182-0620 | My Nintendo: Fafounet | Nintendo Network ID: Fafounet

Meesh

@Lroy I hear you, those rivalries certainly make it more fun. I like to think that Mexico and the US push each other to become better when they're both playing well, despite being bitter rivals. I'll be likewise rooting for England to make some noise and return to their prior form. Hopefully we'll be able to celebrate many a victory here with some game nights!

@Agent721 @Fafounet France '98 was when I first got full world cup fever and I remember it in great detail, especially the round of 16 game vs Paraguay and the finals vs Brazil! I've been watching every major international tournament since that year.

Switch Friend Code: SW-0182-8684-8029

AgentLA

@Meesh

The Paraguay game went down to the wire! And Paraguay has that great goalie, so I’m glad it did not go to PKs. I can’t remember his name.

I have an interesting story for the finals. I was attending University then (University of California at Santa Barbara, UCSB) and the night prior to the finals I attended a party and was invited to a bar to watch the game with some Brazilians the next day. Well, it did not go as planned as the bar was 90% Brazilian and 10% French.

Us Frenchies sat in the back and the Brazilians up front. As soon as Zizou headed in the first goal, we got dirty stares and some cursing...when goal 2 went through, a guy threw a pitcher full of beer towards me and I had to duck to not get hit (and probably real hurt). The pitcher broke everywhere and that’s when we started getting nervous. At halftime, we got more dirty looks and stares, and I asked the bar to try to control things...they didn’t do anything.

Finally, a Brazilian girl walked up to me and my buddy, a black belt half German/half Indian guy, and told us that for our own safety, we should leave. My buddy thought he could take down a few on his own, but at that point it was about 30 vs. 2 (the rest of the Frenchies had already gotten the hint & left) so we bailed at halftime and went back home to watch the rest.

I’ll never forget that game and experience!

Edited on by AgentLA

Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast πŸ•Ή
NL Arcade Community High-Score Pilot πŸš€

Switch Friend Code: SW-7629-1891-6394 | My Nintendo: Frenchie | Nintendo Network ID: Agent721 | Twitter:

Fafounet

@Agent721 Talk about being a dedicated supporter!
I, for myself, watched the tournament while I was living for a short while in Antigua Guatemala. Guatemalans were positively thrilled for France since they did not have a team of their own to cheer for.

Finally I get my fair share of gaming.
Praise the Switch!

Switch Friend Code: SW-7348-1182-0620 | My Nintendo: Fafounet | Nintendo Network ID: Fafounet

Zkibu

I signed up too. First game is always tough, but I am sure our lovely neighbours and hosts Russia can contain the pressure and grab a win. Perhaps 2-0? I picked Sweden as my favourite team, gotta cheer for Scandinavia. Also France maybe because I've studied the language and their jerseys are super slick.

Zkibu

Switch Friend Code: SW-3139-0887-1010

OorWullie

I just had a thought ,the last World Cup I watched in full in my own country just happened to be the last one Scotland qualified for. In fact I've only seen a total of 2 WC games in the UK since 98,one in Scotland and one in England.

For the 2002 WC I was living in Den Haag in The Netherlands . Unfortunately the Dutch didn't qualify for that one but the Turkish did and they got to the semi's. There just so happened to be a huge Turkish community in Den Haag near to where I was staying. After every match they would be out in huge numbers waving flags from their cars and peeping their horns. I watched the quarters and semi's in a Turkish coffee shop packed to the rafters with Turks. Was an amazing experience.

2006 I was still living in The Netherlands but my ex girlfriend was over visiting from the States and we had a lot of travelling planned so I ended up missing a lot of matches. I somehow managed to watch matches from it in 6 different countries. The opening match Germany v Costa Rica I watched in a posh hote room in Edinburgh overlooking the castle,my ex gf arrived later than evening and the next day she agreed to marry me. The next match I caught was in London ,I forget which one. Then I saw a few in The Netherlands,England v Sweden I watched with a couple of mates in Cologne 5 minutes away from the stadium the match was played in,I caught a couple more in Dublin ,1 in Paris (Argentina v Mexico) and then the 2 semi's and final back in The Netherlands.

The last 2 WC's I've been in Thailand.Russia will be my 3rd. There are loads of Russians living and holidaying in the city I live but I can't imagine there being much celebrating.

Edited on by OorWullie

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ Mr Mustard πŸ‡ΉπŸ‡­
SW-6101-8403-1640

πŸ•ΉοΈ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards πŸ•ΉοΈ

Lroy

@OorWullie Never mind the football, what happened to the ex-girlfriend who agreed to marry you? That's some turnaround, lol!

OorWullie

@Lroy She was an American Norwegian beauty I somehow managed to pull in a nightclub in Budapest on my 27th birthday. Well we became friends from that night,kept in touch ,met up again a few times at various places around Europe and then eventually got together the night before she flew back to the US,as it was the end of her 2 year study at Strasbourg University. Thought I'd never see her again ,was brutal. I had punched so far above my weight it was hard to believe and then she was gone. Daughter of a multi millionaire and famous (in his field) engineer. I wasn't letting that one go so I booked a flight to the US and stayed with her for 2 weeks. Then it went from there ,I followed that trip up with 3 more visits to the States, including meeting the parents in their huge mansion. Was like living in a movie. Crazy time of my life. In between those trips to the States she was traveling to various cities around Europe for her uni stuff and I was jetting off to meet her. My bosses were actually letting me get away from work all the time to go meet her,crazy.During this time I proposed at Edinburgh Castle,she accepted. Her family liked me ,my family loved her,all was well. She finished her studies ,moved to the Netherlands with me and eventually we got our own place. She just needed to find a job ,a good one what with her finishing uni. Unfortunately she couldn't get one ,several months went by and eventually she was offered a hard to refuse job in Norway. She took it and we returned to the long distance relationship we had before. This time it was tough and after a few trips to Norway ,we both agreed it wasn't working and decided to go our own ways. It was a pretty tough time for me as things weren't going well at my work either as the recession was kicking in so I went on holiday to Thailand ,fell in love with the country and soon got over the break up..

Edited on by OorWullie

SW-6101-8403-1640

Lroy

@OorWullie Man, great life experience to have. Love and lost over never loved at all and all that. Right, back to the footie πŸ˜‰

OorWullie

@Lroy That was only meant to be few lines and I got carried away. It's a fond memory so I enjoy recalling it

SW-6101-8403-1640

Lroy

@OorWullie Yeah, of course. I think we may of actually spoken about this American/Norwegian beauty before over on another thread. Anyways, neither Norway nor USA qualified for Russia. The stadiums will lack some eye-candy there.

Edited on by Lroy

AgentLA

@Lroy

As our not so highly esteemed leader in the US would say, SAD!

Switch Friend Code: SW-7629-1891-6394 | My Nintendo: Frenchie | Nintendo Network ID: Agent721 | Twitter:

Meesh

@Agent721 What a great story, except for the part where you had to leave the bar! It sounded like such a fun atmoshpere to watch the game in, up until the dirty stares and pitchers thrown your way. But I guess that all helped make it unforgettable! By the way, the Paraguay goalie was JosΓ© Luis Chilavert - watching it on the Spanish channel and hearing the commentator yell his name multiple times (each time he made a save) forever burned it into my memory.

Fun to see the stories on here that in some way are tied to the World Cup. Tough to beat a proposal at Edinburgh castle @OorWullie!

Switch Friend Code: SW-0182-8684-8029

AgentLA

@Meesh

Yup, an unforgettable day in my life! It was fun when it began but got way out of hand fast.

spizzamarozzi

So I had to find something to keep myself amused during the world cup, as my team won't be participating. I decided to have the games I played during these last 4 years compete against each other in a tournament. I took my "top-10 games" lists for the years 2014-15-16-17 and divided the top 8 games for each list into 8 groups. I think I've just discovered new and uncharted levels of sadness.

Opening matches will be:
Breath of the Wild (2017, 1st) vs Ninja Gaided 3 (2015, 3rd)
Guacamelee STCE (2014, 6th) vs Zen Pinball (2016, 8th)

I just realised the outcome is going to be highly unpredictable, because a game that came in 3rd in 2015 won't be necessarily better than a game that ranked 8th in another year, and so on.

All of this wouldn't have happened if Italy qualified for the world cup.

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

Lroy

@spizzamarozzi Ha! Ha! Ha! Fair play for keeping Top 10 Games Lists. I often dabble in doing the same and then never update them.

Lroy

The Saturday papers had free WC wallcharts in so bagged myself two yesterday.

We're getting close now. Going to do a beer and snack run either mid-week or next weekend (probably both ☺️) to see in the opening days of the tourney in gluttony!

spizzamarozzi

Just got a wallchart at the local bookies this morning. Called my brother and asked if he knows of any player that looks a bit like me so I can support that team. He said I look a bit like Luka Modric so I should be supporting Croatia. I thought I was more of a Neeskens type but eh, I can see what he means.

Bought a digital copy of PES 2018 for PS3 the other day (for a fiver I couldn't resist - and it's much much better than I expected) and I'm sure there will be a ton of football games discounted on Android by the time the world cup kicks off.

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

Lroy

@RETRO_J If you fancy joining some of us in this thread for match predictions. Read back through this thread and sign up to the app. Will be fun to tally up our correct predictions as we go match to match.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.