Forums

Topic: 2018 FIFA World Cup

Posts 1 to 10 of 10

Lroy

Anyone getting excited for the kick-off of the World Cup? Not long to go now. Same day as Nintendo's E3 coverage I believe?

My build-up has included getting the Panini sticker book for my young son, buying World Soccer magazine's World Cup special issue and I've been playing FIFA 18 and FOOTBALL MANAGER TOUCH 2018.

Really looking forward to the tournament and shall be doing a little sweepstake, be cool to chat about what teams we are supporting and the players and teams who stand out as the tournament unfolds.

🇬🇧 Nintendo Switch FC: 3127 6508 1219 |
🇬🇧 3DS FC: 0361 9527 6404 |
Nintendo Switch Arcade Enthusiast 🕹 |
NL Arcade Community High-Score Pilot 🚀|
Retro Gamer

BenGrimm

England for me, hope we do well but probably won’t.

BenGrimm

spizzamarozzi

We didn't even qualify for the World Cup this year, so I'll be watching and supporting whichever team has the player that looks the most like me.

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

NaviAndMii

Can't wait!

The World Cup is the reason I fell in love with football, really - I have vague memories of Italia '90 (seeing posters around, my Dad getting annoyed at the TV etc!) ..but USA '94 was the real start of my love affair - the sights, the sounds, the fans, the drama, the upsets - I loved it all!

Of course, I'll be cheering my country (England) on all the way - hope the lads to us proud! ..but I'll be obsessed with the whole tournament!

I usually try to watch as many matches as I can (I'd watch 'em all if I could!) ..seeing Brazil in action is (almost) always a treat - and I've always had a soft-spot for the African/Asian nations (..the progress those confederations have made in the last few decades has helped to turn the World Cup in to a truly competitive tournament on a global scale - it's fantastic to witness!)

I'm a little concerned with England that we may not have much of a 'Plan B' if the main tactic isn't working (no real playmakers, left wingers or target men in the squad) - I'd have preferred to have seen a few 'game changers' on the bench just to have the option of mixing things up a bit...but I'm quietly confident that we might have a nice little ride this summer **fingers crossed!**

It's a real shame that some tournament regulars - like Holland, Italy, USA etc - won't be present...just doesn't feel right (they'll be sadly missed!) ..but I hope that it'll be a cracking tournament - really, really looking forward to it!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 SNES 🎮 N64 🎮 GB 🎮 GG 🎮 PC 🎮 PS2 🎮 GC 🎮 PSP 🎮 Wii 🎮 360 🎮 PS4 🎮 MD 🎮 NSW 🎮

MK8D (R: 8600, B: 2500)
Splatoon 2 (L: 63, CB: A, RM: A, SZ: A, TC: A)
Rocket League (L: 28 - Pro)

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | My Nintendo: NaviAndMii

Peek-a-boo

I’m looking forward to seeing the Netherlands play against Italy.

Hee hee!

I honestly reckon England will get knocked out in the last 16, by going out on penalties (as fate always deems them to do so).

@NaviAndMii Out of curiosity, are you a Tractor Boy?

I was looking at your post in a different thread earlier on, and I was pleasantly surprised to see you using Ipswich Town as your team on Football Manager! I live in Woodbridge, which is about a twenty minutes drive up the road from Ipswich.

Peek-a-boo

NaviAndMii

@Peek-a-boo I am indeed! My brother used to live in Woodbridge (and now lives just up the road in Bredfield) and one of my oldest friends works at one of the local school's there - so I'm very familiar with your town too (..particularly the pubs - very familiar with those! Haha!)

My parents divorced when I was quite young - and my Dad's lived in and around that area (Martlesham Heath) for as long as I can remember...I actually started following Ipswich after seeing on the old football videprinter one day that they'd been beaten 9-0 by Manchester United - felt sorry for them - so have supported them ever since! (true story!) ..had quite a few highs and lows over the years - but we're pretty much settled in the Championship right now (14 or 15 seasons in a row?!) - still, we go again next year!

How about yourself? ..a fellow Tractor Boy?

Edited on by NaviAndMii

Peek-a-boo

@NaviAndMii Small world!

I was born and raised in Blythburgh (near the pig farm). Our family moved to Saxmundham to go to high school and went to Sixth Form in Woodbridge, and I settled here for good when I met my partner at The British Larder, which is now called The Unruly Pig after their kitchen caught fire in June 2015.

I am a regular at The Cherry Tree (which Addams bought out about seven years ago) and The Kings Head atop Market Hill. I do like Woodbridge ~ the food is good, the local shops are nice and the walk along the river is always pleasant however, there’s an air of upper classism about this place that slightly spoils it...

I know of Martlesham, as I did the Kesgrave 5k Fun Run two years ago. There’s a big green park where they host little community concerts in the summer, am I right? It’s quite odd talking to someone local on here.

Anyhoo, yes, I am a Tractor Boy. I was sad to see Mick McCarthy go, because he did what he could on a shoestring budget, but it was never enough for those men who are aged 50 and above who speak of Ipswich's best years (back in the 70’s) as if it was only yesterday...

Nostalgia should be taken in small doses, I say.

I accepted a couple of years ago that we will always be a midtable Championship club, and I feel slightly sorry for those who see it any other way. We shall struggle next season, no doubt about that, unless you play as Ipswich Town on Football Manager that is!

Well, I am afraid I'll be adding you onto my Switch friends list over the weekend. I hope you do not mind?

Peek-a-boo

NaviAndMii

@Peek-a-boo Oh sure, add away!

Yeah, I know those pubs well! My brother used to live in a little flat above the HSBC and we'd regularly (every other weekend) go on a bit of a pub crawl around town I haven't been down there in a little while, but we used to kind of loop around from The Crown and Cross Keys - up to the market to the Kings Head (and another just around the corner) - then down to The Mariners and that old pub with a selection of traditional bar games, then on to The Anchor near the river - then stagger out to the Cherry Tree (where I once met Charlie from Busted, randomly!) ..then have a wobbly legged walk back in to town! () ..who knows, we may have even drunkenly bumped into each other before! Haha! (Crazy!)

...and yeah, that's Martlesham! That annual concert on the green used to be great - but I seem to remember my Dad saying that they've stopped hosting that event now, unfortunately (..such a shame - used to be the best thing about the village!)

Totally agree with you about Ipswich, too! There seems to be a bit of a footballing cliché that certain clubs (Ipswich, Forest, Leeds etc) somehow 'belong' in the Premier League - but, just because we've had a couple of periods of success in the past, doesn't mean that we have a divine right to be up there! With clubs of this size, the stars can align and you can punch above your weight for a few years - like we did under George Burley a while back...but I think that Mick was doing a good job - last season wasn't great, but he bought in a couple of strikers, a couple of decent loanee's, blooded a few youngsters and things seemed to be moving in a better direction this year (even finished above Norwich for the first time in years!) - the stars didn't quite align for a promotion push, but I felt it was quite an encouraging season really...ugh! (Ah well! )

Still, looking forward to the World Cup - not expecting much, but my heart is filled with hope nonetheless! ..may the best team win!

Edited on by NaviAndMii

FragRed

Personally I much prefer Rugby but I will support the England team, assuming they make it out the group stages.

ENGAGE VG NEWS & REVIEWS SITE LAUNCHING SOON: www.engagevg.com

gcunit

@Peek-a-boo @NaviAndMii My first ever football shirt, having been asking for one for years, was the ITFC home shirt from the 9-0 season when Town amassed a paltry amount of points and went down. Always kinda hated that shirt and considered it cursed (Town always seemed to lose when I wore it) because of that season, although I quite liked the look of it at the time (and still have it... perhaps it needs to burn to lift Town out of the duldrums).

I barely follow Town anymore though. I don't mind admitting to being a fair weather fan. I've been to Portman Road a few times over the past 10 years, and other than one match, the games have been so uninspiring. I try to stay positive regardless, but there are so many moaners in the crowd that I come away resenting having paid money to listen to the moaners while watching grass grow.

As for England, I gave up caring towards the end of Sven's reign I think. Tournament performances since then have been laughably bad, and when your talisman is a player as ineffective as Wayne Rooney (as good as he was as a kid) it's hard to get excited about any of it. All sense of patriotism in me is long dead anyway.

But I still look forward to a World Cup regardless. For moments like that first South African goal in 2010. Moments like that still get me jumping out of my seat.

Edited on by gcunit

Use the 'ignore' button, it works.

Currently playing: Rocket League; Splatoon 2; Super Mario Odyssey; Fire Emblem; Suikoden; Kirby Triple Deluxe; ICO; Gravity Rush; Ratchet & Clank; Red Faction: Guerilla; Fez; FIFA 18

Nothing is true; Everything is permitted.

• Pages:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic