Forums

Topic: 2016 Olympic Games Thread

Posts 21 to 40 of 42

LzWinky

Why does Japan suffer on the dang rings for Men's Gymnastics?

Brazil is killing Men's Gymnastics though!

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

LzWinky

RR529 wrote:

So, anyone else watch the opening ceremony?

I thought it was a well made show, but (outside of maybe Vancouver 2010, which I don't remember well) I thought it was the weakest one I've seen (I started with Beijing 2008).

It's hard to beat London's ceremony. That was too freaking amazing

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

RR529

As I mentioned earlier, I did manage to get around to watching some Boxing bouts (British guy defeated guy from Camaroon, Columbian defeated a Brazilian, Spanish guy defeated an Armenian, Italian defeated a Mexican, and a Japanese guy defeated a Venezuelan).

Also managed to catch some of the Swimming competition. Out of the four races I saw, America didn't win anything, which kinda sucked (a couple were close & exciting, though).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RR529

Day 2

Women's Beach Volleyball - My favorite Olympic sport to watch. Started today out by watching last night's match that I missed, between USA's "A" team & an Australian team (we won 2 Sets to none). Finished out the day by watching one of today's matchups, between USA's "B" team & a Polish team (we lost 1 Set to 2).

Men's Indoor Volleyball - Caught a match between the US & Canada in the afternoon. We got defeated 3 sets to none. Can't say I'm a huge fan. Maybe it's just the camera angle, but the play field was way too crouded for my tastes.

Other - Caught the last few minutes of a Women's Rugby Match between the US & New Zealand (we lost 5-0), as well as some White Water Kayaking (that was kind of interesting). Of course, later in the night I caught some of the Swimming events (including Michael Phelps winning his 19th Gold), and some of the Women's Gymnastics qualifiers.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Peek-a-boo

That was an enjoyable night of swimmming!

Phelps won his 19th gold medal, after coming out of retirement and was in a surprisingly average form (by his own very high standards) last year.

Adam Peaty won the 100M breaststroke, in a world record time that was previously set in his semi-final heats yesterday. Talk about being in form!

Katie Ledecky, who is only 19 years old, won the 400M freestyle by nearly two whole seconds to Jazz Carlin, the British silver medalist.

On the tennis front, Djokovic lost in the first round to del Potro, the latter of whom has only just come back to tennis at the beginning of this year after being out injured for almost two years.

The Williams sisters lost their doubles match, which means they cannot extend their already fantastic doubles record at the Olympics. The Murray brothers also exited the doubles against the host country doubles team.

Lots of unexpected surprises in the tennis!

I wish I didn't have to stay up at 2 or 3am to watch all this unfold though...

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

RR529

Day 3

Women's Beach Volleyball - My main event for today, was tonight's match between USA's "A" pair (with Walsh-Jennings) & a Chinese pair. the Chinese girls put up a good fight at the beginning of each set, but we ended up winning both (so the US won the match 2 sets to none). I wouldn't have been too upset had China won however... I thought Fan Wang was hot, lol. Earlier in the day, I also watched a match between Australia & Venezuela, that Australia won 2 sets to none.

Women's Table Tennis - Watched a match between China & Hong Kong. The Chinese girl absolutely dominated the match.

Women's Rugby Sevens - The medal matches were on today, which I used as background noise while I did some chores this afternoon. I was able to sit down and watch the final match (between Australia & New Zealand). I actually kind of like it (it's almost like a football game that never stops).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

shaneoh

RR529 wrote:

I was able to sit down and watch the final match (between Australia & New Zealand). I actually kind of like it (it's almost like a football game that never stops).

Caught the middle of it before I went to work. You might want to check out AFL if you enjoyed the Rugby.

Also saw the video of the gymnast who broke his leg, OWWW!

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

RR529

@shaneoh, thanks, I may look into that.

TBH though, outside of the Olympics, I usually only watch the Super Bowl or the occasional other football or baseball game when it comes to sports.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Day 4

Women's Beach Volleyball - Watched today's game between USA's "B" pair & a Brazilian pair. The Brazilians won it 2 sets to none (the home crowd was very energetic).

Archery (Individual) - Venezuela VS China (Mens): Venezuela won 6 set points to 2. Australia VS Egypt (Mens): Australia won 6 set points to 0. Russia VS Columbia (Womens): Russia won 6 set points to 4. Russia VS Iran (Womens): Russia won 6 set points to 2 (it was kinda neat though, as the Iranian archer was last year's Paralympian champion, who is competing in both the Olympics & Paralympics this year). Overall the archery is really cool, and looks like it'd be tons of fun.

Boxing - Only one bout for me today (just something to do to finish running my tablet's battery down before I charged it). Cuba VS Italy, with the Cuban boxer winning by unanimous decision.

Other - I tried watching a game of Men's Handball (Germany VS Poland), but I dropped it around the 25 minute mark as it wasn't doing anything for me. Also caught some of the Women's Gymnastics team final (where the USA won Gold!).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

veeflames

Well, I'll be missing out on watching the Olympics this year (unless for some reason it hasn't ended by the time I return from this trip). Which is a bummer, because I was looking forward to watching every event. Even those I don't like very much; e.g. Soccer.
EDIT: Just checked and saw that the closing ceremony is on the 21st, well after my trip ends. Looks like I might be able to catch in on some Olympics action, after all! Just not at the moment, that is.

Edited on by veeflames

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

RR529

Day 5

Women's Beach Volleyball - Watched today's match between USA's Walsh-Jennings & Ross and a Swiss pair. Absolutely brutal match. It went all three sets, point for point until one of the Swiss players was slowed down by injury, allowing the Americans to get the victory 2 Sets to 1. Also watched China VS Australia, with China coming out on top 2 Sets to 0. This pool's preliminary rounds are now over, and the US & Chinese teams move on to the tournament phase, while Switzerland & Australia are knocked out.

Women's Synchronized 10m Diving - This was actually from yesterday, but I watched it today. Watched the first two rounds, and it was actually pretty interesting (the skill of the Chinese pair was stunning).

Women's Fencing - Finally got around to some fencing (there's so many interesting things to try, lol). Saw USA VS France & USA VS China. We lost both matches, and now all Americans are knocked out of this particular contest.

Men's Rugby Sevens - Watched Australia VS South Africa (Aussies won) & Britain VS New Zealand (Brits won). Interesting, but I think it was one of the Australian players who had his head busted open (Ouch!).

Women's Individual Archery - Only one match for me today, but it was a real nail biter. It was Mexico VS Turkey, and it came down to the one shot sudden death round, with the Mexican barely coming out on top. What a match!

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Day 6

Women's Beach Volleyball - Watched USA's Fendrick & Sweat VS a Russian pair. It was a shot for shot game making use of all three sets, but the Ruskies won it 2 sets to 1. The preliminary rounds are now over, and I find it absolutely astounding that one USA pair won all three of their prelim matches, while the other USA pair lost all three.

Men's Table Tennis - Watched a match between China & Japan, and the Chinese player won. I like Table Tennis, but man can the matches be long. This one took 6 sets to settle, and it lasted over an hour! (first to 4 sets wins, so games can go up to 7 sets)

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Day 7

Women's Beach Volleyball - Watched USA's Walsh-Jennings & Ross VS an Italian pair. The Italians played a good game, but the USA came out on top 2 sets to 0. Also watched China VS Brazil, and the Brazilians won it 2 sets to 0.

Women's Skeet Shooting - the medal matches. Watched USA VS China for the Bronze, which the American won, and two Italians who faced off for the Gold & Silver. It was more interesting than the Air Rifle event I watched earlier.

Mens Individual Archery - The medal matches. Watched USA VS Japan (USA won), France VS Netherlands (France won), USA VS South Korea (South Korea won), USA VS Netherlands (USA wins, earns Bronze), and France VS South Korea (South Korea wins Gold, France gets Silver).

Swimming - Actually caught quite a few of the Swimming events, including Katie Ladecky's stunning win in the 800m Freestyle. Too bad Phelps had to settle for a Silver in his event tonight, though.

Other: Also caught the end of the Men's 20km Walk Race (that was different), and some of the Track & Field qualifiers.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Day 8

Swimming - Caught a few of today's Simming events, including Team USA's Gold wins in the Women's Team 400m Medley & Men's Team 400m Medley (in which Michael Phelps won his 23rd career Olympic Gold, which will be the final of his career, as he's retiring. He was very emotional on the podium).

Track & Field - Caught some of the qualifying races, including Usain Bolt's.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Peek-a-boo

Mo Farah is unbelievable!

Stayed right in the back for a third of the race, and even waved to his family at one point, tumbled over onto the track at the halfway mark and got straight back up to keep on running... then held his hold on the last lap by surging ahead around the bend and down the home straight to win gold in the 10,000 metres.

If that was a scene in a film, everybody would say how unrealistic it is.

Bolt is in action tonight. Let's go for the 'treble treble'!

Peek-a-boo

RR529

Day 9

Women's Beach Volleyball - Watched USA's Walsh-Jennings & Ross play the Australian pair. It was a good game, and the USA won it 2 sets to 0.

Women's Boxing - Watched a bout between Russia & Taiwan, and the Russian won.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Day 10

Other - Didn't really actively watch anything today, though I did catch some of the Pole Vaulting, which was pretty neat looking.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Day 11

Women's Beach Volleyball - Watched USA's Walsh-Jennings & Ross play a Brazilian pair. Surprisingly, the game came to a disappointing end when the Brazilians upset the defending 3 time Gold winning USA pair 2 sets to 0, though we didn't make it easy on them (at least we still have a shot at the Bronze...). Also watched the German pair play the other Brazilian pair, and the Germans won it 2 sets to 0. Looks like I'll be cheering for Germany in the final.

Track & Field - Watched quite a bit of the events. I particularly liked the 110m Hurdles.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

RR529

Day 12

Women's Beach Volleyball - Currently watching USA's Walsh-Jennings & Ross play the other Brazilian pair for the Bronze. A family member casually spoiled the result for me earlier by mistake, so I wasn't going to watch it, but NBC is currently replaying it, so I figured what the heck.

Other - Caught some of the qualifiers for BMX, which was cool to watch.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Peek-a-boo

Bolt won the 200 metres, hooray!

He didn't look overly pleased as he crossed the finish line, and at least three strides more than the silver medalist, because Bolt wanted to get close to his own world record; a wet track and slight headwind stopped him from achieving this unfortunately.

I still cannot believe Team GB are second in the medals table!

The Olympics is the only thing my family will actually sit down and watch on television so, it will be sad when things go back to normal.

Those US swimmers made themselves look very, very stupid though. They come across as compulsive liars or something!

Peek-a-boo

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.