Forums

Topic: 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games Thread

Posts 21 to 31 of 31

RR529

Yeah, the opening ceremony was pretty great. I didn't like the fact that they put the parade of nations inbetween all of the theatrics (instead of after the theatrics, like Beijing & London did), but it was still great.

It went something like this:

• Video highlighting famous Russians, Russian Folk Tales, & Russian Locations etc. with Russian alphabet.
  • Theatrical presentation part one, where they went through ancient Russia (featuring a young girl suspended in the air, floating through the ancient landscape).
  • Theatrical presentation part two, where they hoisted the flag and sung the Russian national anthem (complete with people in light up coats that formed the flag on the floor).
  • Parade of Nations
  • Video (featuring famous Russian actors) that shows thousands of years of Russian history in about 3 minutes.
  • Theatrical presentation part three, where the ice of ancient Russia was melted by the forming of an official Russian state (featuring the little girl again, and people carrying baloons shaped like the Russian Orthodox Church).
  • Theatrical presentation part four, representing the militaristic rise of the Russian Empire (featuring a group of people dressed in period military garb, marching through a living map of Russia).

Theatrical presentation part five, where they re-enacted a ballroom scene from the classic, War & Peace.

• Theatrical presentation part six, where the "Propaganda Train of Communism" roared through, bringing with it a time of chaos & death.
  • Theatrical presentation part seven, featuring the dark, oppresive militarization & industrialization of the Soviet Union after WWII, opening up to a more cheery representation of a happy society of the 50's-80's, where a lot of Soviet technological achievements were herald, followed by the coming of modern Russia.
  • Raising of the olympic flag.
  • Theatrical presentation part eight, some other dance number with people in glowing gowns.
  • Arrival of the Olympic torch, and the lighting of the cauldron.

Yeah, if you made it through the parade of nations, it was a really awesome show overall.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

ELI-ASH

I heard in russian tv they edited the part were the rings open up with the rehearsal footage. So as far anyone knows in russia the whole event went flawless XD

My Youtube channel Now streaming via youtube gaming. O_O My backloggery
PSN:ELI-ASH

Switch Friend Code: SW-2622-8275-6903 | 3DS Friend Code: 0903-3818-6753 | Nintendo Network ID: lielie112

RR529

I watched some Luge, and that was pretty cool looking, though us Americans were getting crushed.

Also saw some freestyle snowboarding, and that was actually really awesome (though that could be because the American won the gold).

I'm about to watch a Women's Hockey match between Japan and Sweden. I probably won't watch it all since it's getting late, but I'll be rooting for Japan here.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Klimbatize

Later today I will be watching a DVRed curling match while playing Curling DS. Can you think of a more happening scene?

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

3DS FC: 1332 7785 4494

RR529

Yeah, late last night (or very early this morning, depending on how you view it) I casually watched a Curling match between Canada and Germany.

Canada won

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

FriedSquid

That sure was a tough break for Shaun White earlier. I really wanted him to get his third gold medal in a row, but I guess it just wasn't his night. Mad props to Ayumu Hirano and the other Japanese medalist (can't remember his name) and Iouri Podladtchikov, though! Those guys pulled off some really fantastic tricks!

Sav'aaq!
A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
"Samus is under fire! She's sent an emergency directive! Join the fight!"
My Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

Tasuki

Man I felt bad for that Russian skater yesterday that withdrew from the Olympics due to his back. You could tell that it was the hardest decision he had to make. What was nice was that he seemed more upset that he disappointed his fans because of his decision.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Tasuki

OMG that USA/Russia Men's Hockey game was one of the best hockey games I have seen in a long time.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

edhe

I was looking through Miiverse, and one of my followed artists did a picture celebrating Japan's gold medal in the Men's Figure Skating. Apparently he skated to rock music, so I wanted to look it up on Youtube

This is what I found.

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.