Forums

Topic: 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games Thread

Posts 1 to 20 of 31

RR529

Well, the Olympics start tomorrow, so I figured it's about time for us to have a thread for the event.

I can't wait for the opening ceremony.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

6ch6ris6

zero interest

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand i'm out!

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

RR529

Personally, I'm more into the summer games than the winter games, but watching the opening ceremony has always been good since the Beijing games, where they turned it into an all out spectacle (I don't remember much from Vancouver's, but London's was great too, so hopefully Sochi will put up a good one).

As for the events themselves, I've kinda grown to like Curling in a funny sort of way, and the skiing & snowboarding are always good fun.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

LzWinky

Stay classy folks

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Magikarp3

Hey, the opening ceremony was good before Beijing, too! Sydney's was impressive as well! (I'm totally biased here, though)

I actually like the Winter more than the Summer. I find skiing and halfpipe to be a lot more fun to watch. Not sure if I'll tune in though.

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo

always thought I'd change to Gyarados after I turned 20 but hey, this is more fitting I guess. (also somebody registered under the original Magikarp name and I can't get back to it anymore orz)

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

Tasuki

.I dont know I like the Summer and the Winter Olympics equally. There are some events I really like in the Summer and there are some that I really like in the Winter.

Going to be mostly watching the Bobsled, Skiing, hockey and a few others.

Edited on by Tasuki

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Kyloctopus

I just like the Winter games because Canada does alot better at them.
But if there was an event I prefer to watch more than the others, it's Figure Skating. It's pretty spectacular to watch.

Edited on by Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus

3DS Friend Code: 4897-5952-1236 | Nintendo Network ID: Kyloctopus | Twitter:

WesCash

After Canada had such a phenomenal showing 4 years ago in Vancouver (with the most gold medals ever won by a country), I feel like I can't get as hyped about the Winter Olympics now.

Not to say I won't watch them, but I certainly don't expect Canada to top its amazing 2010 performance.

WesCash

3DS Friend Code: 2019-9710-8219

HandheldGuru97

I've been living in Slat Lake City for the better part of 14 years. I don't remember the games though as I was fairly young. Either way I find the Summer games a bit more exciting than the Winter games, but I'll keep an eye on these games. I hope they are safe for the athletes and friends, family and visitors. May the odds be ever in your favor........to all!!!!!!!!!!!!^_^

Formally Square-enixFan, Neo-GeoFan. A lover of fine games and handheld systems!!!!!!!!!!
The New 3DS XL is amazing, soon the NX will be upon us!
Backloggery
Check my Youtube channel out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Ha...

3DS Friend Code: 1289-8230-2854 | Nintendo Network ID: Square_Enix_Fan

MikeLove

Hockey (mens only) and curling are the only things I'm excited for.

MikeLove

FriedSquid

I didn't start actively paying attention to the Olympics until London, so this time around I'll be sure to watch. I don't think I really have a preference for winter or summer, but I think I'll like the winter more. The gymnastic events (while still pretty amazing) and other ones like water polo, volleyball, etc. never interested me as much, while winter events seem cool (no pun intended!), like the snowboarding events, hockey, and yes even curling. Curling is exciting!

Sav'aaq!
A Miiverse admin's first day on the job.
"Samus is under fire! She's sent an emergency directive! Join the fight!"
My Squidloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6168-7289 | Nintendo Network ID: captainsquid

ELI-ASH

So 5 networks are gonna air events in the winter Olympics,but 3 of them are gonna air hockey and curling only. I understand why hockey would get a lot of air time but not curling XD

My Youtube channel Now streaming via youtube gaming. O_O My backloggery
PSN:ELI-ASH

Switch Friend Code: SW-2622-8275-6903 | 3DS Friend Code: 0903-3818-6753 | Nintendo Network ID: lielie112

Klimbatize

Curling is interesting to watch. I'm not being sarcastic, either. It combines strategy and skill in an interesting way. You not only have to have a strategic plan, but also the skill to carry it out. It takes the best elements of, say, darts and chess. Well, maybe checkers.

Edited on by Klimbatize

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

3DS FC: 1332 7785 4494

WesCash

Yeah, curling is far more engaging than it has any right to be.

I actually find all of the Winter Olympic events to be enjoyable. The Summer Olympics have some events that I just really don't find interesting to watch.

WesCash

3DS Friend Code: 2019-9710-8219

RR529

ELI-ASH wrote:

So 5 networks are gonna air events in the winter Olympics,but 3 of them are gonna air hockey and curling only. I understand why hockey would get a lot of air time but not curling XD

Yeah, they recently just created 6 duplicate NBC channels on our cable (2 local affiliate duplicates, 2 CNBC duplicates, and 2 MSNBC duplicates), so I'm assuming they're going to turn those into Olympic only channels soon.

As for Curling, I think it's pretty decent.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers

Tasuki

@ELI-ASH: You would be surprised at how popular curling has become in the past few years. Add to the fact that the Winter Olympics are really the only time you can watch curling in the US anyway it's no surprise how much coverage they devote to it.

Anyway I watched the Opening Ceremony last night and I have to say it was good, not as good as London's or Vancouver's but it was good. For one thing it felt shorter then the previous two, still I thought that the history of Russia was really interesting. I watched the Women's Hockey take on Finland

which they won 3-1

Now I am watching pairs figure skating.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

ELI-ASH

When they were naming important russian people during the opening ceremony, they forgot Alexy Pajitnov. The creator of tetris.

My Youtube channel Now streaming via youtube gaming. O_O My backloggery
PSN:ELI-ASH

Switch Friend Code: SW-2622-8275-6903 | 3DS Friend Code: 0903-3818-6753 | Nintendo Network ID: lielie112

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.