Forums

Topic: 2011 Stanley Cup

Posts 1 to 15 of 15

EvilRegal

Well, we have an NBA Playoff thread. So, we need an NHL thread! Yeah, a little late in coming, but better late than never! Thought someone would've started this by now. No wonder Atlanta (Proudly providing Canada with NHL teams since 1980 ) is losing the Thrashers. Though I know there are Canadian folk here at NL too!

So, who you all "got"? Who do you want to hoist Lord Stanley's Cup? Boston Bruins or Vancouver Canucks? I'll sound like a turncoat for saying this, but actually rooting for Vancouver. Lost both their other finals appearances, against the Islanders and Rangers. And Canada hasn't had the Stanley Cup it so cherishes since the Habs last won it in 1993. Hard to imagine the cup away from the hockey capital that long.

Been a long time since the Bruins held it (1972), but the Boston area has had PLENTY of titles recently. Including the Red Sox beating my (currently LOUSY) Colorado Rockies. Not that I hold a grudge, Bean Town. Actually, yes I do. So, GO CANUCKS AND GO YANKEES (actually, I won't go THAT FAR ).

Let's attack aggressively, kupo! :D

3DS Friend Code: 5241-1915-3356 | Nintendo Network ID: EvilRegal

EvilRegal

Nothing? Then I'm moving this thread to Quebec!!! No more hockey teams for Atlanta, no more hockey discussion for NL.

Let's attack aggressively, kupo! :D

3DS Friend Code: 5241-1915-3356 | Nintendo Network ID: EvilRegal

ShinRPGGamer

"Taken from the 2011 Vancouver riots thread"

O.K For this to make any sense to those out side of Canada and Boston you've got to understand why the riots happened.

Yesterday was the Stanley Cup Final Game 7 (This is Hockey BTW) in Vancouver Between the Vancouver Canucks and the Boston Burins. Perviously the Canucks made the finals in 1982 and 1994, both times they lost and the latter sparked riots after the 3-2 loss to the New York Rangers in game 7 at MSG 17 years ago on the spot. It was also the first time a Stanley cup game 7 game was hosted in Canada since 1987, first time a Canadian team could bring the cup back to Canada since 1993 and the best chance a Canadian team has had a shot at that since 2006.

Suffice to say... It didn't work out so well for both the fans and the game itself... (Boston 4-0 Vancouver)

Afterwards, Riots sparked as rioters overturned and set fire to two vehicles in front of the main post office, and there were reports of similar car fires in a nearby car park. Windows were smashed in a department store, a bank and several other businesses. A man was taken to hospital with a head injury after he fell from the nearby Georgia Viaduct. Police say several fans wearing Canucks attire poured seven jerry cans filled with gasoline over a black Honda Civic parked in front of the stadium and in a nearby parking lot, two Vancouver Police squad cars were also set on fire.

Other Events not mentioned on Wikipedia inculde The landmark Hudson Bay Store Almost being set on fire, some idiot almost getting himself on fire and it forced the Burins to leave the hotel they were staying in.

Here are some images : http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/06/16/photos-riots-fire-des...

Here is some videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MROuhK-VVAk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DhJuH0o7Y4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VzOUKODdZ4

And as a final note I would like to that I was cherring for the Canucks before the riots and yes, I and the police, saw this coming if the Canucks lost.

Edited on by ShinRPGGamer

Formerly known as the artist Gmls719

1st Champion of the NLife Bowl.
Team: GmlsDragoonersUnited

Wii FC: 4905 5217 4099 5072
3DSFC: 3582 - 8742 - 0524

Aviator

Sore losers.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

OrangeSmoothie

My mom and I were talking about how Vancouver is a nice city while we were watching the game. Oh the irony.
I just don't understand what the purpose of the riot is. They lost, and now they're drawing even more attention to the fact the they're sore losers and giving their city and their team a horrible reputation.

OrangeSmoothie

3DS Friend Code: 0817-3820-9884 | Nintendo Network ID: OrangeSmoothie

iphys

I thought there might be riots even if they won, because people get so crazy about the Stanley Cup. I was so confused as a little kid in Calgary in 1986 when we lost to Montreal in the Stanley Cup Final, and the next day people told me there were riots in Montreal because they won the Stanley Cup.

http://backloggery.com/iphys

3DS Friend Code: 1504-5686-7557 | Nintendo Network ID: iphys_eh

kevohki

They call that rioting? Come to Philly when one of our teams eventually loses in the finals. We'll show you how it's done.

PSN ID: PhantomSauce
3DS Friend Code: 2105-8814-0225

iphys

Didn't Philly just lose to Chicago last year in the Stanley Cup Final? I don't remember any riots.

http://backloggery.com/iphys

3DS Friend Code: 1504-5686-7557 | Nintendo Network ID: iphys_eh

ShinRPGGamer

Here's a smart guy, thinking that he can jump over a burning car.

Edited on by ShinRPGGamer

kevohki

iphys wrote:

Didn't Philly just lose to Chicago last year in the Stanley Cup Final? I don't remember any riots.

My mistake, I got it backwards. I was thinking about when the Phillies actually won the World Series, lol. Rioting out of joy happened that night.

PSN ID: PhantomSauce
3DS Friend Code: 2105-8814-0225

Tasuki

Its shows you how stupid people are. I have never understood the point of rioting cause your city won/lost some big game. Who cares yes I understand that your happy/upset but what does setting cars on fire and smashing store windows have to do with your team winning/losing. Freakin idiots thats what they are.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

ShinRPGGamer

Swiket wrote:

Untitled

Those are some hairy looking girls

JimmyWhale

Part of me thinks that Canada should just get over it and accept that Boston is just a lot better than they are... on the other hand, it's Canada, they don't exactly receive a lot of action over there, so maybe we should just let them burn some things and then when they settle down they can chill back in their unlocked houses with a bottle of maple syrup.

(No, I have nothing against Canada. I'm just having a little fun. I have Canadian friends who rip on America too )

JimmyWhale

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.