Forums

Topic: 1990's: The last great decade?

Posts 41 to 52 of 52

Kholdstare

Otaku wrote:

Yes! Beacause it was Mario VS Sonic Plus Because of this we got:
F-Zero, Yoshi, Pokémon, Mario RPG Games, Pilotwings, StarFox, and Kirby's ability to suck things up.

Now its Mario VS... ... ... ... wait whos sonys mascot Crash Bandicot, no that was in the late 90's, is it Sackboy or Ratchet.

isn't Sony's mascot Kratos

☆FRIEND CODES☆

PSN ID: Kholdstare77

3DS
1289 8322 9889

Rensch

Speaking about the mass media, I'm actually surprised how the internet has made people question authority so much they actually have become willing to accept everything the new opinion leaders say thus making the old circle complete all over again.

I'm glad we still have a decent amount of public broadcasters here in Holland. Lately there have been complaints about it being to much oriented towards the left. So what do the right-wing media do? They bring in right-wing networks making it balanced again. Work's pretty well.

If you have almost only commercially run media, companies will decide what you see. That's how it is in the US. And that's the tendency of the 00's in general. I hoped the new media would make a difference because they allow us to see different sides of the coin, but they've become part of the mainstream media as well.

As long as people are not WILLING to question their long-held beliefs and only listen to either Micheal Moore or Glenn Beck instead of both, they are just as ignorant as the so called "ruling elite" they claim to question.

Friend code 3DS: 4210-4747-2358

madgear

You're just getting old. I'd gladly take living now over living in the past - the only reason I have such fond memories of the 80's and 90's is because I was a child. I spent all my time having fun, gowing up and experiencing things for the first time. Now I have to work, I've outgrown children's cartoons, I don't get to the cinema as much any more and have less gaming time.

But then in the 90's the industry I work in didn't really exist, very few people had mobile phones (imagine trying to meet a mate in a busy pub back then - if they can't make it in the end, you were just left waiting), the Internet wasn't as developed as it is now (I absolutely love youtube and facebook is ideal for keeping in touch with friends). Movies back then was also overpopulated by mindless action fests - compare the 90's Batman and Robin to the 00's Dark Knight. But then you also have to take into account that the films (and games) back in the 90's still exist now!

As for music - you say it's worse today by mentioning Lady Gaga as if she's the only artist producing anything today. You have hundreds of genres and artists available to choose from. You can even search and listen to them all for free on the internet using the likes of Spotify - find something you love, don't say you can't. Besides, if you want to sum up a decade of music by one artist then I can do the same:

90's - Vengaboys
80's - Billy Ray Cyrus
70's - Gary Glitter

I rest my case.

madgear

SuperMarioFan96

I think it's just a matter of when you grew up. I grew up this decade (born in the 90s but too young to remember that), and I enjoyed it overall. The idea that music and the entertainment industry as a whole were better in the past is purely subjective, a lot of people wouldn't agree with that. As for new technology.... well it shouldn't be used to ignore your friends but there's a lot of things that are very easy to do today that people in the past could never do (and I don't know how they survived, lol). Also, you said something to the effect of "people survived for years without these new technologies, why can't we?" Well, why can't we survive without computers? What about video games? Who needs those? Or, heck, get rid of air conditioning, people survived for years without it!

"Oooh, yes I said it! I said it! I said it 'cause I caaan!"
My Backloggery

StuffyStuff

@TurboGenisis64 and @Rensch - Well put. If you don't think for yourself you set yourself up to be oppressed. @SuperMarioFan96 - We can survive without computers and video games. Like I said, I'm all for advancement, I think we as consumers have let it consume us rather than us consume it. I live in the desert, I'd die without my swamp cooler Music is certainly better, mainly because there are no secrets anymore. Hendrix and Van Halen would hide when they did their tricks, but now everyone knows them and the gear is so much better now than it was before. As a musician I have to say that's my favorite thing about this day and age.

StuffyStuff

LordJumpMad

I was like 1 year old, When the 90's Started
So every thing was Great in till i hit 18, and i wanted more out of my games.

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
[url=http://www.backloggery.com/jumpmad]Unive...

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter:

J_K

Ugh good side rant on tattoos, they're disgusting and in particular on women I see it as like taking a $1.99 can of red paint to a DaVinci -- sickens me. It should have stayed not so much with the bikers and rock stars per say but definitely with anyone who does it as part of their tribal or other of the like cultures. Now it's just tramp stamps, stupid crap, and all this me-too bs. Yeah unAmerican as hell but I'd find myself hard pressed not to vote for a law if it ever came up banning the crap. All your rants with the differents of Shakespeare to texting nitwits, to over the top bs (Gaga, glorifying human trash, etc) really does need to just die. And one I really would love to see, dead ...political correctness. I miss the day when I could go, you are a moron, you're a whatever, or returning some barb to another person and not be called a child or whatever because someone is always going to get butt hurt and whine about it to someone with authority. People used to either smack you over the head, told you off, or let it alone and now it's about whining, self serving behavior, and lawsuits. Much of this was rooted a little in the 90s, but it didn't go into full force and over the top until this decade of the 00's because it is the 0's of society who hose it up for everyone else. I'm 33, you can figure the year from that, but I do remember much of the 80s, the 90s affected me plenty, and so has this ending decade so it's not nostalgia or the rest when I say the 00's are a downward slide.

Edited on by theblackdragon

My Stuff - http://members.cox.net/tanookisuit/gameinventory.html
The Gamer Theory Forums - http://forums.gamertheory.com/

brooks83

I would actually go so far as to say Batman and Batman Returns were better than The Dark Knight. TDK was certainly a good movie though.

brooks83

JebbyDeringer

Umm it depends on who you talk to. If you talk to someone who is 60 years old they probably preferred the 1960's. Unless you're 1000 years old it's really poor judgement to say the decade you grew up in was the last good one. Part of it has to do with the age you are. When you get older you have more responsibilities and less time for fun.

To argue for the 90s though that was a time before cell phones were in everyone's hand, box stores were only just becoming a huge deal, and the internet was a lot less travelled. People just keep getting stupider, real estate prices are insane, wages haven't followed cost of living, the rich are getting richer. Video games were more imaginative though the Playstation sucked at 3D.

JebbyDeringer

Rensch

And one I really would love to see, dead ...political correctness.

That apperently differs from country to country. Here in the Netherlands the 00's were the age that threw political correctness out of the window rather than promoting it. However, It has gotten so far it has become equally dangerous as political correctness gone too far.

Friend code 3DS: 4210-4747-2358

Magi

The world is as crappy as it always was, now we just have more venues to find out about it.
[/glass is half-empty]

But seriously folks, it's the whole rose-colored glasses thing. Times were pretty much the same (other than the information-overload...and I thought it was bad then, but now...sheesh). Most of us were much younger and had far fewer cares. Sure these days we have the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, but then we had Desert Storm. We also had the OJ Simpson nonsense and the Columbine shootings; Tupac and Cobain. There are parallels in every decade.

Speaking of rose-colored glasses, the economy hasn't been overly tough on me in the 2000's. I've improved my job standing, as has my wife. We're both extremely stable, partially due to our fields. For that, I'm greatful.

Magi

theblackdragon

@J.K., Turbo Genesis 64: as a tattoo apprentice myself, I'm so glad neither of you are in any position to do anything about tattoos. :3 Take your offensive opinions to a different forum; please be more respectful of others and their own life-choices here at Nintendo Life.

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.