Forums

Topic: Video ads are getting too obnoxious!

Posts 1 to 17 of 17

HugoSmits

Not sure if anybody else complained about this already, if so -> sorry!

Recently the video ads have become so obnoxious that I have no other option then to turn my Adblocker on again.
It seems like I’m not able to open a single page the last few days without getting at least one self-starting video ad!

Just now I had 2 videos on the same page! Both with audio and no stop button!

I would love to support Nintendolife, as I really appreciate the site. But at the same time I still would like to be able to concentrate enough to actually read the site.

Thanks!

Edited on by HugoSmits

HugoSmits

Twitter:

antdickens

It's quite annoying for us because we have really good, high quality adverts here in the UK - always game related and nearly always for Wii U and 3DS games.

However, we know the quality of adverts outside of the UK isn't brilliant and we're working on improving them for 2014. Relevant adverts shouldn't be obtrusive, but realise that some of the existing ones are annoying in some locations

@antdickens
Nintendo Life | Push Square | Pure Xbox | Time Extension

Switch Friend Code: SW-7806-7257-0597 | My Nintendo: antdickens | Nintendo Network ID: anthonyd | Twitter:

TsunamiSensei

I keep getting video ads for an African-American only dating site...

"Books are the real treasures of the world!"
-Skeletor

3DS Friend Code: 5155-2977-9232 | Nintendo Network ID: Popo_man

LzWinky

I have to block plug-ins that automatically load because my browser crashes all the time. I can still see gif ads, but not video ones

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

theblackdragon

@Kawaii_Neko: that's just an alternative, it's not a mandatory thing — you don't even have to have any connection to the UK or Europe in order to own a .co.uk address, lol. we do own the nintendolife.co.uk address, it just redirects to the main '.com'. :3

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

TsunamiSensei

Just thought I should point out the fact that I keep seeing ads on this website for a game called League of Angels that use gameplay footage from Dead or Alive 5, most likely without Tecmo Koei's permission.

-Skeletor

GuSolarFlare

I just got a weird thing in the spot ads should be.....
a piece of text written "placeholder" lol

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

moomoo

I've been getting this weird add for a thing called League of Angels that's using Dead or Alive: Xtreme 2 footage. It's, um, distracting...

Don't ask me how I know.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

TsunamiSensei

moomoo wrote:

I've been getting this weird add for a thing called League of Angels that's using Dead or Alive: Xtreme 2 footage. It's, um, distracting...

Don't ask me how I know.

Those ads are everywhere.

-Skeletor

Raylax

I'm getting auto-playing video ads (in the UK) that are playing audio. The number of video ads is getting really excessive too - there's 3 of them on the homepage right now! Two Adchoices ones (which sometimes play audio), and the DKC:TF trailer in the border. With multiple tabs open, I end up with multiple overlapping audio ads telling me to put Nurofen in my children to remove limescale from my clothes or whatever. The once which start silent automatically start playing audio the moment your mouse strays over them (at maximum volume) and doesn't mute again when the mouse leaves. Plus it's making my laptop chug like crazy and they're chewing way too much bandwidth combined.

I've tried FlashBlocking them but they seem to get through that, so until NL has some less intrusive adverts, I'm Ad Blocking for the sake of my own sanity. If it's useful to know, the ads I've seen autoplay with audio on were advertising Nurofen, Dettol, Finish and I'M BARRY SCOTT. And Barry Scott should never be allowed to speak without prior warning. Preferably about a year's prior warning

Raylax

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1400-0117 | Nintendo Network ID: RaylaxKai

Eel

I use and iPad so ads are usually not a problem (since it doesn't load many of them at all, only a small banner on top of the site) but the site always makes a weird jump down after it is done loading the ad and I always end up hitting the wrong link. Its like a routine now.

Enters nintendo life, site loads, tocuhes the screen to visit a forum thread, ad loads, clicks the wrong link, go back, wait for the ad to load before aiming. Repeat for every page on the site.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

LzWinky

Raylax wrote:

I'm getting auto-playing video ads (in the UK) that are playing audio. The number of video ads is getting really excessive too - there's 3 of them on the homepage right now! Two Adchoices ones (which sometimes play audio), and the DKC:TF trailer in the border. With multiple tabs open, I end up with multiple overlapping audio ads telling me to put Nurofen in my children to remove limescale from my clothes or whatever.

I wanna hear such ads. That sounds like a great product...

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.