Forums

Topic: Talking ads

Posts 1 to 20 of 20

Philip_J_Reed

There seems to be a rash of talking ads on this site lately...just wanted to point it out. They're very annoying...they load like videos, only there are no options to pause them, mute them, or, of course, stop them. I keep getting them at work, which is a problem for obvious reasons. One of them is some Cascade (or some dish detergent) ad, and another one I just got was invisible. It said something like "Watch your step, chief," with explosion sounds behind it, and I have no idea what it was advertising because I couldn't even find it on the page.

I've gotten them a pretty high percentage of the time that I've visited the site lately, and I'll take note of what ads they are, specifically, if I can...but is there some way you can request from the ad company that you don't get full-motion self-running obnoxious video ads?

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

BobberyFan98

For you Fire Fox user's out there, ever heard of Ad-blocker Plus? It automatically blocks the ad's that are on the side of a site.

However, keep in mind when it asks you to subscribe to a list, this means that you need to select one in order for it to start working. And don't worry, it's free! They aren't going to make you pay to have it!

-BF98

Mario Kart Wii FC: 1762-5158-8929 Name: BobberyFan
Brawl FC: 2364-1754-7283 Name: BF98
ExciteBots FC: 0990-3629-1936 Name: Bobbery

V8_Ninja

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery: http://backloggery.com/v8_ninja

theblackdragon

@BobberyFan98: as i understand it, Nintendo Life is funded by ad revenue, though. Blocking the ads means NL doesn't get the hits they need in order to get paid enough to keep the site up and running for all. for those of us who have the choice to block or not, the talking ads are rather irritating.

@CB: why didn't you just e-mail this to the admin address? lol

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Philip_J_Reed

I figured posting it here would give folks a place to register similar concerns, if they have them. (Or, of course, to tell me they've never experienced it, and that I must be hallucinating, which would give me another reason to call my therapist this afternoon. Everybody wins!)

But yeah, trying to resist the ad-block...especially since I can't install it at work anyway. Oh, and so the site gets its revenue.

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

The_Fox

If there's a site I like such as NL I'll go through with Internet Explorer so the ads aren't blocked and they get the count. However, if talking ads become too prevalent I'll have to start blocking them with Firefox, which I'm sure is the logic other users use.

In summary: talking ads blow.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

edhe

BobberyFan98 wrote:

For you Fire Fox user's out there, ever heard of Ad-blocker Plus? It automatically blocks the ad's that are on the side of a site.

That'll be of little help to the OP (and his like), as he is unlikely able to configure his system as an employee. He may already have firefox, but in my experience with school/college computers at least, you are unable to download plug-ins or programs.

Plus, blocking ads is a bit rude when you consider advertisments are this website's sole revenue.

The only problem I have with adverts on this site, however is that they always seem to be advertising Xbox Live.

My Backloggery.
Follow a cow?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6650-8335-1908 | 3DS Friend Code: 4682-8598-1260

retired_account

I've noticed a few, but I usually keep my volume turned off since Ubuntu's sound sucks anyway.

retired_account

warioswoods

theblackdragon wrote:

@CB: why didn't you just e-mail this to the admin address? lol

Yeah, Chicken, excellent PR skills there.

Twitter is a good place to throw your nonsense.
Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -

retired_account

I just got one. It blared out of my headphones lying on the desk, and the volume was almost at around 25%. mutes

retired_account

James

Take screengrabs, use the Contact form to tell the admins and we'll look into it.

James

Nintendo Network ID: DaddyNewtsUK

Axoloth

The only ad I've seen for the past month is telling me, with text (no voices), to preorder my copy of Super Mario Galaxy 2 from Game now for my limited edition tin!
And if I do like they tell me, Game let's me now that I won't get the tin if I don't live in the UK. They're teasing me

I have a Backloggery now! Nothin' fancy, but feel free to add me as a friend.
[21:15] Axoloth joined the conversation
[21:16] Axoloth: I love you, dead chat
[21:17] dead chat runs away
[21:17] dead chat has left the convers...

ReifuTD

I like to watch vidoes as I surf the net, with all the new news and junk I have to keep pausing what I'm watching and let the ad run like every page I go to.

ReifuTD

Adam

I just got one, fortunately not talking, but bothersome nonetheless. It reads: "Do you want sexy emoticons? 100% free! Click here!"

Pictured are three real women animated to bend down and show their cleavage, with two hand drawn dogs animated to hump each other.

Is this really the kind of advertising NL is going for...? I feel like I'm at Myspace, and that's not a good feeling. It's the sort of thing you don't want people passing by to catch you looking at.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

warioswoods

I just got one.

"I vacuumed my carpet and it's still so dingy."

I see they've correctly pegged me in the housewife demographic.

Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -

warioswoods

And another talking one today, this time for Lysol Disinfecting Wipes. Housewife, again.

Axoloth

Huh. I haven't seen any ads since the release of SMG2.
Lucky me I guess?

I have a Backloggery now! Nothin' fancy, but feel free to add me as a friend.
[21:15] Axoloth joined the conversation
[21:16] Axoloth: I love you, dead chat
[21:17] dead chat runs away
[21:17] dead chat has left the convers...

James

Guys,

We don't handpick the advertisements ourselves but we do appreciate this feedback. Again, if you can take screengrabs of the offending adverts and send them to the admins – either host 'em on Photobucket or similar or email them to me using james@ – then we can start to look into them.

James

Nintendo Network ID: DaddyNewtsUK

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.