Forums

Topic: Ideas for the site

Posts 881 to 900 of 2,597

Geonjaha

@rayword45: Maybe because banning those people doesn't change their minds, and banning people for having certain opinions on matters leads to a slippery slope moderation-wise. I'm not saying they're nice people, but if they aren't technically breaking any rules why should they be banned or have posts removed?

Straight out hatred and attacking other users or people is against the rules yes, but what would you do if someone stated "I dont think gay people should be allowed to marry." Do you remove that? How far exactly do you shut down opposing opinions?

NOTE: Because some people will inevitably think this post means I endorse such hatred; I do not. I think it's a petty and idiotic stance to take and very discriminatory. That doesn't mean I think silencing people I don't want to hear is always a good answer. This sites stance on trolling of specific users has always been "Ignore it", why exactly couldn't that be applied to everything else that doesn't break the rules?

Edited on by Geonjaha

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

Tasuki

Geonjaha wrote:

@rayword45: Maybe because banning those people doesn't change their minds, and banning people for having certain opinions on matters leads to a slippery slope moderation-wise. I'm not saying they're nice people, but if they aren't technically breaking any rules why should they be banned or have posts removed?

Straight out hatred and attacking other users or people is against the rules yes, but what would you do if someone stated "I dont think gay people should be allowed to marry." Do you remove that? How far exactly do you shut down opposing opinions?

NOTE: Because some people will inevitably think this post means I endorse such hatred; I do not. I think it's a petty and idiotic stance to take and very discriminatory. That doesn't mean I think silencing people I don't want to hear is always a good answer. This sites stance on trolling of specific users has always been "Ignore it", why exactly couldn't that be applied to everything else that doesn't break the rules?

I can't speak for the mods here but that's pretty much how I look at things on Push Square. I can't ban people for an opinion l, it's on how they deliver it. If someone say I don't like X for example that's fine but if they say I hate X and all the X can die blah blah blah then we can do something. Usually I will give a warning and if they person in question continues then a ban will more then likely happen.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

rayword45

Geonhaja, I can read into what you're saying, so have no fear about being misconstrued.

My problem with the argument is

A. The general weakness of the concept of a slippery-slope. Surely things can be separated morally with logical boundaries and without being overly PC.
B. There's a certain point where a person's opinion shouldn't be valued over the discomfort of others.

To counter what you fear, there are many, MANY people who still think interracial relationships are taboo (I can personally attest to this with a many times broken heart lol). The number is obviously not as great as those against gay marriage, but it's clearly still significant.

If someone said "I believe blackbirds should stay with blackbirds, and doves should stay with doves" or (more than likely) a far more inflammatory version of that, would they be banned for racism?

@Tasuki I don't use Push Square but would you ban someone for saying "I don't like blacks", "I don't like Jews" or "I don't like fat people"? Emphasis on the last one as it's discriminatory but not against a controlless group.

Edited on by rayword45

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

Geonjaha

You're right about the slippery slope being a weak argument, but I suppose my point was more about how one would draw the line. To what degree would opinions like that be shut down?

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

Tasuki

@rayword45: Not if it's in the context of the conversation, and if they put it as you said. I would give them a warning but I can't just ban them for their opinion.

My Backlog

kyuubikid213

This was probably mentioned years ago..., but I've been redditing recently and I like upvotes and downvotes. If those in any form could be added to the site, I think that'd be nice.

At the very least, I think it would stop forum posts that just quote a previous post and nothing else.

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

Tasuki

@kyuubikid213: I belive an up vote system is in the works at least that what TBD made it sound like before she left or a similar idea. I believe they said no to down voting as that could cause to many problems.

My Backlog

Mijzelffan

Could @ThomasBW84; please check for timestamps in youtube videos he posts in articles and remove them from the url? In almost every one of the videos he posts that don't link to the nintendolife channel there is an unneccesary timestamp added. Instead of putting an url like this in your article: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ5LpwO-An4

remove the time stamp from the url to turn it into this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6-ZGAGcJrk so that the video actually starts at the start and not at a random interval, which looks really unprofessional and is just an extra bother for the reader.

Edited on by LaserdiscGal

Mijzelffan

Therad

I think we should have a Nintendo section in the forums. As it is now, general nintendo stuff simply gets lost in different channels. It would be nice to have a place to talk about financials, growths and strategies for the entire company.

And since you already have a NX-section, why not add a mobile section already? Mobile is inbound before nx.

Also, is it really relevant to have different sections for eshop and virtual channel? Since they are basically the same thing in the end. It feels like it clutters more than it helps.

Therad

Gridatttack

I'm sure this has been mentioned before.

Why not add Private Messages?

New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, a remake of Super Mario Bros 1 and The Lost Levels for NSMBDS.
new 3DS: 0276-2211-7514

3DS Friend Code: 0276-2211-7514 | Nintendo Network ID: Gridatttack

Mariominer

It would be cool if on reviews there was another section for star reviews from members of the site (and maybe text reviews, but not showing them all at first.)

Like a boss? Please, I AM a boss. You're welcome

3DS Friend Code: 1543-5315-3818 | Nintendo Network ID: Storybookten9

Tasuki

Gridatttack wrote:

Short answer cause it would be a hassle for the mods.

My Backlog

LaserdiscGal

Tasuki wrote:

Gridatttack wrote:

Short answer cause it would be a hassle for the mods.

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

erv

Ok guys, I understand that the site needs a bit of support in terms of financials and therefore, advertisements are loaded. I understand the bigger, more obnoxious ones of recent weeks are better for you as well in terms of revenue. And yes, I don’t block the ads because of the simple reason that I understand there’s a lot of work being put into the site, and I encourage people to give it this consideration. But the in your face, content blocking ones? That’s a bridge too far. If you really don’t want people to use adblock, consider not using contentblock or viewblock.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

stephbm6

Do you guys have Nintendo Life shirts for sale??

Friend Code 1332-8995-0796

Mister_Wu

I don't know if it's feasible,or if it has been already proposed but I would have some suggestions regarding notifications:
1) having favicon with the number of notifications and in profile box notifications with the options to have only them disabling e-mail notifications;
2)Being able to watch the "USER COMMENTS" section of articles.

Mister_Wu

Socar

I don't get why Nintendolife doesn't have a podcast.......it would atleast be interesting to hear opinions through a video rather than having talking points from specific writers.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

timnook

I want a facebook Share Button for the Super Mario Maker:Share your Levels Page!

timnook

-Godot

You know how when you click the "General Discussion" top tag, it goes to the overall forum page instead?
It would be cool if you guys renamed that.

Currently bored (while change when I stop being bored)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic