Forums

Topic: Ideas for the site

Posts 2,551 to 2,570 of 2,597

FishyS

I saw that feature too a few days ago, it's interesting.

Is there a reasonable way to search only articles? The default search feature tends to pull up a million forum posts (after the insurance ads) when really what I want is an official article. Generally, searching better is what I would want most on this site (including searching your own or a specific other person's comments or posts)

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

DiamondCore

@FishyS As of now, for specific-game articles, you gotta go to that games’ page and then scroll down to see the news history, but for random articles you’re best bet is to search something like “switch 2 doesn’t need backwards compatibility NintendoLife” to find those

Pretty much inactive
-=-=-=-
Development (B)log: https://diamondcore.itch.io/monochromia-dcs
Reviews: https://letterboxd.com/diamondcore/
Currently Playing: Suprisingly, nothing.

CaleBoi25

@FishyS Really? That's funny. (For those wondering, it's quite a good F2P)

SplatComp

Don't be sad;
Don't be emo--
Go and watch
Finding Nemo.
~ThatZeldaNerd

Sorry, I can't stop changing my PFP!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3225-4369-7994 | My Nintendo: CaleBoi25

CaleBoi25

@antdickens Is it possible to select a color for a forum? The amiibo forum is a teal color, and I was wondering if that is a staff decision or user generated. That got me wondering: could User Settings allow for a "default" color, so we could permanently enjoy dark blue NLife articles?

SplatComp

Don't be sad;
Don't be emo--
Go and watch
Finding Nemo.
~ThatZeldaNerd

CaleBoi25

@antdickens Ah, I see. In that case, I do think it would be neat to allow custom themes.

SplatComp

Don't be sad;
Don't be emo--
Go and watch
Finding Nemo.
~ThatZeldaNerd

RupeeClock

So viewing a review for Mario Tennis (N64) and also Mario Tennis (GBC), I noticed the inclusion of a user poll to rate the game (for those lovely user ranked articles).

Untitled

It uses the conventional 1-column poll that many articles feature, but in doing so adds a lot of empty vertical space between Nintendo Life's review score, and the comments section.

This really seems like a good opportunity to develop a dedicated games collection rating bar, for displaying at the bottom of reviews or relevant articles.
I've a few ideas for it:

• Prompt the user to log in to add their rating
  • Displays 10 stars like the main scoring display, with each star from 1 to 10 being a clickable input (should also be possible to retract a rating)
  • Mouse-over behaviour before selecting a rating to show the applicable text labels per score (only show "outstanding", "excellent", "great", "good", so on when needed)
  • Single-click action to set your rating, compared to the current implementation where you select radio button, then click Vote
  • Display the user's profile icon next to the user rating bar to communicate this is your rating
  • Option to display the game's icon for articles that may feature multiple user ratings bars
  • Logic that ratings cannot be submit prior to the game's earliest release date
  • After submitting a rating, an additional button to show counts, proportions and the average of user ratings as a collapsible narrow horizontal bar graph

Making it into a nice compact article widget would really increase the number of user ratings you could collect, further driving the quality of your articles.

Edited on by RupeeClock

RupeeClock

Grumblevolcano

@antdickens I'll continue to keep an eye on it but from what I can gather, the ads problem has disappeared now so thank you for that.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

CaleBoi25

@RupeeClock Oh, glad to see that has been implemented! Your ideas sound great!

SplatComp

Don't be sad;
Don't be emo--
Go and watch
Finding Nemo.
~ThatZeldaNerd

CaleBoi25

@antdickens Could you perhaps add a "ratings" feature to Game Pages? Showing the Age Rating.

SplatComp

Don't be sad;
Don't be emo--
Go and watch
Finding Nemo.
~ThatZeldaNerd

FishyS

@CaleBoi25 Given that different countries/regions have different rating systems, how do you envision it working? I've wondered this before as well when I noticed the rating wasn't displayed.

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

Papasears1982

a dark mode option for the site would be A MAY ZIIIINNNNNN (b ' ' )b

"The pleasure of a dream is that it is a fantasy. If it happens, it was never a dream.” - Old Grandfather

Papasears1982

@FishyS well AWESOME ty for this! (b ' ' )b is there a way to donate to the site? much love from this dood =)

Edited on by Papasears1982

"The pleasure of a dream is that it is a fantasy. If it happens, it was never a dream.” - Old Grandfather

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic