Forums

Topic: Ideas for the site

Posts 1,976 to 1,995 of 2,597

Fizza

@antdickens Hey, just wanted to come in here and thank you for that hotfix regarding comment pages, it works great! Whilst I'm here though, I'd just like to alert you and your team to a small bug I found recently.

So do you remember a while back when I told you the video layout seemed to be acting funky? I think it's happened again since this time, the 'Subscribe to NLife' is presented as regular text (as seen here):
Untitled
It's not much of a problem at all but something I thought I should bring attention to whilst I'm here anyway.

Also, just to make absolute sure: this is an image and not a video (sorry @Eel XD)

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Yoshi's Story (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Kermit1doesmath

@Fizza I was going to comment on this too. Glad someone else noticed it, but here's a real video showing it.

It's the only one I have on hand...

dysgraphia awareness human

Quarth

@antdickens "Obviously, if you didn't want to read a story about what people think about it, the headline makes it pretty clear and you can skip over it as other people will find it interesting."

Fair enough. I just think these articles hurts this site's reputation. Plus in the case of the article I linked, what if I was interested in reading the news regarding the changes in the game, not the Twitter "outrage"? Now it was mixed into one.

I love this site in many ways, just want to voice my opinion.

Friend code: SW-3941-9887-2293

Rambler

For reviews, would it be good to have the same layout for reviews and mini reviews?

The reviews have a top box with system, developer, publisher, and links to the various sections for the game on the site. These are also available for Mini Reviews, but you need to click on the game name in the review.

I think in addition to system / developer / publisher , it would be good to have price, and, maybe, filesize.

Rambler

antdickens

@Quarth yeah that's completely fair enough and feedback is always welcome. I don't think I would agree that they hurt the reputation but I can understand where you are coming from. Consider your opinion voiced!

@Rambler yeah, we will be "reviewing" (ahem) the review template/layout in the near future and likely they will be more like normal articles (which mini-reviews are) so watch this space.

@antdickens
Nintendo Life | Push Square | Pure Xbox | Time Extension

Switch Friend Code: SW-7806-7257-0597 | My Nintendo: antdickens | Nintendo Network ID: anthonyd | Twitter:

JaxonH

I actually have two suggestions to discuss.

Suggestion #1

Is it possible to one day implement private messages on the site?

Reason being. Many times we need to share semi-sensitive information. I joined a group of 7 others for the Switch Online + Expansion Pack, and had to post my email then quickly delete the post before others could read it. Most ppl won't do anything stupid, but there's enough crazies out there to not want to leave a post like that up. Same for sharing passwords to online lobbies, etc.

I suppose PMs would potentially bring additional challenges, as they wouldn't be subject to the same moderation. However, most other sites manage just fine so I'm inclined to believe it's doable. Ignored and blocked members could be restricted from messaging each other. And any messages deemed in violation of community guidelines could always be reported.

Perhaps that's not the barrier- maybe it's just the amount of work it would take. Idk. But it is something I think there's a lot of demand for, as I've heard the request from numerous other members over the years.

Suggestion #2

So, you know how Steam allows members to showcase boxart for their favorite game, and display badges, that sort of thing? I think it would be pretty cool if NintendoLife members could similarly display a chosen boxart from your search database for their favorite Switch game. And maybe another for their most anticipated upcoming game. Badges could also be added to members profile page for others to see. Such as "5 year club", "10 year club", "10,000 posts", "Top Forum Contributor", etc.

Idk. Just some things for members to better personalize their profile, so that if I click on a member's profile I can, at a glance, get a jist of their preferences, tastes, and contributions as a member of the site.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

Kermit1 wrote:

@JaxonH I'd like to see both of those suggestions happen.

Well that solidifies it, then. We officially have backing from Kermit the Frog. Ya kinda have to seriously consider it now 😀

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Tasuki

I for one hope PMs are never implemented. I use to visit another gaming site and it had PMs and all that would happen is spammers would fill up the inbox. There's already other places that I feel users can PM each other on, Facebook, Discord, Twitter, Backloggery etc. without needing them on NintendoLife, but that's just my opinion.

Edited on by Tasuki

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Snatcher

This isn’t an idea, just me asking how the heck to I add images again, it’s been a minute lol.

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Kermit1doesmath

@Snatcher like this

1 use a site like https://postimages.org/ and put you image into the thing.

2 copy the direct link

3 on NintendoLife do this [ img ] -link here- [ /img ]

4 you now have posted an image

Untitled

dysgraphia awareness human

Snatcher

@Kermit1 Thanks, I ended up forgetting the site I used to use for it, lol. Thank you again!

Nintendo are like woman, You love them for whats on the inside, not the outside…you know what I mean! Luzlane best girl!

(My friend code is SW-7322-1645-6323, please ask me before you use it)

Sorry for not being active much recently, but I’m very much alive!

Dogorilla

I probably wouldn't use PMs myself but I can see why they would be useful. To prevent spam, maybe they could only be available to accounts that are at least a month old and have made a certain number of posts on the forum.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Grumblevolcano

I think PMs would be a really awful idea for the forums. Yes it would have its benefits like the situation regarding NSO friends contacting each other but much like a proper voice chat and messaging system for consoles, it would be abused to hell with those people ruining the experience for everyone else.

I'm not just talking about spambots here but you also have the situation about stuff like hate messages. A big argument in the article comments section about some harmless but unpopular opinion of games (e.g. "The Last of Us Part 1 is worth it" or "All M rated games are terrible") could turn into something a lot worse with the existence of a PM system. Meanwhile with the current system the argument fizzles out either by a mod deleting comments or the use of the "Ignore" button.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Fizza

I highly second what @Grumblevolcano says, PM's could lead to people getting away with saying the worst possible stuff to others all over an argument that would otherwise naturally fizzle out. I worry it would end up turning into those kinds of Xbox console messages memes that you see all over the place where people say the worst kind of stuff basically without any repurcussions. The idea is appreciated but I think it would lead to more problems than anything else.

Currently MIA for exams; see you all in a bit! o7
Mario Maker 2 Maker ID: YT1-0Q2-YFF
Please ask for permission before using my FC!
Currently Playing: Yoshi's Story (N64)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3505-5480-3330 | Twitter:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic