Forums

Topic: Does NL hate Just Dance?

Posts 1 to 20 of 39

Mahe

I can't understand why Nintendo Life has been so negative towards Just Dance lately. Both Just Dance 2014 ( http://www.nintendolife.com/games/wiiu/just_dance_2014 ) and Just Dance 4 ( http://www.nintendolife.com/games/wiiu/just_dance_4 ) got only 7/10, which is way too low for great games like these, even further improved from their predecessors. Is NL going along other gaming sites' hate for these games?

What's more, even Just Dance Kids 2014 got the exact same score, so it feels that NL reviewers are just phoning these reviews in and everything titled "Just Dance" gets lumped in the same category without consideration to the actual content. With questionable grades like these, I feel that I can't trust NL's grades or reviews any more.

Edited on by Mahe

Mahe

Mahe

Yes, I've read them, and it actually feels like the text isn't completely in line with the number grade, so it seems that NL has "pressure" to give Just Dance lower grades than the actual game quality merits.

Mahe

GuSolarFlare

according to NL's scoring policy 7 means good... I can't see how "good" can mean hate..... they even say 7 are not average....

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!

Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

Mahe

The "scoring policy" doesn't matter when there's such an unexplained drop from Just Dance 3 despite improved features, and what the review article actually says. It just doesn't add up.

Mahe

GuSolarFlare

hey I was trying to give the most straightforward unbiased answer(I'm trying to avoid trouble ) but yeah some games improve on the previous ones and get lower scores for things done wrong that the previous games didn't have so you can't compare the feature. also did you check if the reviewer was the same for both? it might be the case of having two different reviewers and so a score divergence.

Edited on by GuSolarFlare

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!

Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

CanisWolfred

Mahe wrote:

The "scoring policy" doesn't matter when there's such an unexplained drop from Just Dance 3 despite improved features, and what the review article actually says. It just doesn't add up.

Maybe the reviewer didn't like it as much as 3? Maybe the reviewer thought it wasn't enough of an improvement as 3 to warrent a strong recommendation? Scores aren't quantifiable measures of quality, they're arbitrary numbers based on various factors, usually how much the reviewer in question enjoyed it. Jon has been reviewing Just Dance games since at least Just Dance 2. Maybe he's getting a wee bit tired of them?

Those are just things to consider without even reading the reviews.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun
Arooo~

Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

Mahe

If you have any knowledge of the gaming media at all, you should know of the troublesome affair it has with with the grading scale, and when NL suddenly lumps all Just Dance games at the 7 range, that's not truly a "recommendation". According to their scores, Just Dance 4 & 2014 are as "good" (=bad) as Sonic Lost World or Game & Wario. From the Sonic Lost World review: "There are a few significant lows, however, and a raft of content that is passable but easily forgotten. That leaves us with an uneven experience that we recommend to keen Sonic fans without hesitation, but suggest that the less committed should think carefully." Does that sound like a "good" game? And do the latest and best Just Dance games really belong in such company?

Mahe

Mickey

Mahe wrote:

The "scoring policy" doesn't matter

That was a funny little joke you made there. Now stop obsessing over a number.

Formerly MickeyTheGreat and MickMick. Now I'm Mickey again!

The Mousekeloggery

Galaxy Bio (by Dark-Luigi!)

If we've gotten into an argument, it's okay. I'm probably not holding a grudge against you. Why? Because I like you!

Whoomp! There it is! -God, when he created the universe.

Nintendo Network ID: MickeyTheGreat | Twitter:

GuSolarFlare

Mahe wrote:

If you have any knowledge of the gaming media at all, you should know of the troublesome affair it has with with the grading scale, and when NL suddenly lumps all Just Dance games at the 7 range, that's not truly a "recommendation". According to their scores, Just Dance 4 & 2014 are as "good" (=bad) as Sonic Lost World or Game & Wario. From the Sonic Lost World review: "There are a few significant lows, however, and a raft of content that is passable but easily forgotten. That leaves us with an uneven experience that we recommend to keen Sonic fans without hesitation, but suggest that the less committed should think carefully." Does that sound like a "good" game? And do the latest and best Just Dance games really belong in such company?

well Gamespot scored most DS games I liked bellow 7 but you don't see me saying they hate Nintendo. oh wait............ I do say that, a lot.


but did you check if it was the same reviewer?


and I only played the 3DS demo for Sonic Lost World but it almost made me give up on my other options for christmas.

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!

Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

CanisWolfred

Mahe wrote:

If you have any knowledge of the gaming media at all, you should know of the troublesome affair it has with with the grading scale, and when NL suddenly lumps all Just Dance games at the 7 range, that's not truly a "recommendation". According to their scores, Just Dance 4 & 2014 are as "good" (=bad) as Sonic Lost World or Game & Wario. From the Sonic Lost World review: "There are a few significant lows, however, and a raft of content that is passable but easily forgotten. That leaves us with an uneven experience that we recommend to keen Sonic fans without hesitation, but suggest that the less committed should think carefully." Does that sound like a "good" game? And do the latest and best Just Dance games really belong in such company?

If you had any knowledge of reviewing anything, you would know that scores are useless in the grand sceme of things. They're arbitrary numbers based on things that cannot be accurately quantified. They're a very rough estimate at best, baseless at worst, and should never be used as the end-all-be-all of quality judgments. There are no tiers when it comes to gaming. Just Dance 4 and Sonic: Lost Worlds are non-comparable, apples and oranges, yet you expect human beings, as flawed as they are, to weigh a single game against every other game in existance and accurately determine its place among them, while using a 1-10 scoring system? Get real.

The scoring policy is a general guide that reviewers follow, but for the most part, how games are judged is up entirely to the individuals, around here, around pretty much any place that has multiple reviewers. All the reviews are are simply one man's opinion on some games he played. Well-thought-out opinions, but still, nothing more. The scores, again, are just loose approximations of that opinion, based on enumerable factors, most of which are up to the individual reviewer. You're supposed to read the reviews and come to your own conclusion as to whether or not you'd agree. If you don't agree with Jon, then fine, you don't have to. Heck, you don't have to trust anymore reviews from him if you don't want to. You don't even have to trust this site for reviews. But considering your complaints, I don't know where else you'd find much success.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun
Arooo~

Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

Mahe

CanisWolfred wrote:

If you don't agree with Jon, then fine, you don't have to. Heck, you don't have to trust anymore reviews from him if you don't want to. You don't even have to trust this site for reviews. But considering your complaints, I don't know where else you'd find much success.

The thing is, NL used to be more reliable in the past. Their reviews and scores corresponded better with my taste and I found good games thanks to them. But this thing with Just Dance is just unexplainable by "one person's opinion" or "unquantifiable valuations", because even the review texts themselves don't support the sudden drop in Just Dance scores.

And whatever you say, the numbers do matter. It's a very big deal whether a game receives a 9 or a 7, and when crap like Game & Wario is put on the same level as actually great games like the latest Just Dance entries, it makes me think that the games are receiving lower scores than they deserve for some reason. Perhaps Jon hasn't been able to articulate his disappointment properly, or perhaps the scores are being driven down by some other factor than how fun the games actually are.

Edited on by Mahe

Mahe

CanisWolfred

Oh yeah...I was trying to avoid this elephant in the room, but there's just no getting past it: It's just your opinion that Just Dance has been great. I think they've been going downhill, and would sooner recommend Game & Wario for parties. Does that make either of us any more or less right than the reviewer? No. Because its his opinion. Whether or not they deserve the scores they get is up entirely to the individual's perception and experience. What you see isn't a discrepancy, it's just a different opinion.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun
Arooo~

Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

ogo79

Untitled

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

BadKitty

Time to let my booty bounce~!
Untitled

Meow~
BadKittysDomain!
[13:12] LordJumpMad stick his thong out at eme
[17:24] LordJumpMad: I will never male you happy >:[
[21:11] LordJumpMad: You insluted my words >:[
[16:32] turtlelink: gdi emmy. You're probly the best person I...

Twitter:

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic