3DS eShop Forum

Topic: 3DS eShop Recommendations thread

Showing 321 to 340 of 1,245

AuthorMessage

Drawdler

321. Posted:

Mutant Mudds actually feels very rewarding to clock, but if you can only pick one, go with VVVVVV... I haven't played it but I say that because it's on sale whereas Mudds is not, and I've heard very good things about it. It's a shame it isn't available here, or I would give more input.

On the subject of bosses, I agree that I don't see how they would work since the main challenge is the obstacles in each level. It just feels so good when you finally beat Secret 5-3, for example, with the useless Power Shot, and I don't think they could parallel that with bosses... I'm interested in seeing how they'll work in the sequel.

Edited on by Drawdler

"In the beginning, the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Myland's Dream Address: 6500-2329-0504 | (Currently Inactive) Backloggery | Disney Infinity Fans | Ghostroaster | Nintendo Friends

3DS Friend Code: 2191-7661-4611 | Nintendo Network ID: Nibelilt

AuthorMessage

BenAV

322. Posted:

I haven't played much of Mutant Mudds yet but I was definitely more impressed with VVVVVV.
Of course, neither of them get even close to Mighty Switch Force!

Nintendo Pocket Football Club - Club Name: True Teikoku | Club ID: 9697C6E03

3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV

AuthorMessage

iphys

323. Posted:

Some of those spike-filled rooms in VVVVVV do feel like you've overcome a boss when you finally survive them. I really like the music in VVVVVV — can't get it out of my head now.

One thing I will say is the first time trial didn't unlock for me, even after I had beaten the game and unlocked all the subsequent time trials. Fortunately I could select to unlock it manually (I guess they knew about the bug?). If that was their bug fix, that's pretty cheap.

http://backloggery.com/iphys

3DS Friend Code: 1504-5686-7557 | Nintendo Network ID: iphys_eh

AuthorMessage

RR529

324. Posted:

iphys wrote:

Some of those spike-filled rooms in VVVVVV do feel like you've overcome a boss when you finally survive them. I really like the music in VVVVVV — can't get it out of my head now.

One thing I will say is the first time trial didn't unlock for me, even after I had beaten the game and unlocked all the subsequent time trials. Fortunately I could select to unlock it manually (I guess they knew about the bug?). If that was their bug fix, that's pretty cheap.

The game always came with the option to unlock all hidden modes in the options menu, as well as turn on invincibility.

The patch they gave a few months ago was to fix "Flip Mode". If you tried to enable "Flip Mode" (before the patch) the entire game became unplayable.

Currently Playing:

InFamous (PS3)
Godzilla: Smash 3 (AND)
Tank Hero (AND)

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

325. Posted:

RR529 wrote:

@Waveboy, I'm not contesting your dislike for the game (although I personally love it), I just want to ask how bosses would have worked?

You have no offensive capabilities (there aren't any types of enemies at all, it's all about outmaneuvering devious obstacles), so I don't see how they could have worked within the game's structure.

On the other hand, Mutant Mudds could have used a boss or two :P (still loved it, though)

[/div]

[/div]

Here's a random lazy example. Lets say you have a giant V-elephant(lol) that shoots 4-bit missles out of it's snout towards you in multiple directions. You could then obviously jump up and downwards on different platforms because of the flip mechanic structure of the gameplay, making your way to a switch/button at the top of the screen while trying to obviously dodge the missles in the process. Jumping on it once sends you back down to the bottom of the screen where you have to get to it again by making your way to the top in a different manor, rinse repeat. Jumping on the button each time will gradually lower a cage that will drop downwards over the elephant, and when you jump on that button enough times the cage willy finally drop to the ground and the V Elephant is defeated muhahaha. :p I tend to feel unsatisfyed if any game doesn't include some form of a boss hehe.

Bit Trip runner for example regarding the first two bosses were wonderful and it proves that just because you don't exactly have an offensive move doesn't mean you can't include bosses, jumping on something could 'trigger' an offensive attack after all. And yesss, Mutant Mudds definitly could of used a few Bosses...Pretty suprising that it didn't and i wasn't too thrilled with the generic enemy design, but other than that it was a pretty solid, addicting and challenging platformer. Loved the granny in Attic used for upgrading your weapons. :p

Edited on by WaveBoy

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

Drawdler

326. Posted:

Grannie is boss. And then (POSTGAME SPOILERS) you get to play as her. Then you get to be a boss. (END SPOILERS) How is that not boss enough for you? :P

I jest FYI. That's what :P is for!

Edited on by Drawdler

"In the beginning, the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Myland's Dream Address: 6500-2329-0504 | (Currently Inactive) Backloggery | Disney Infinity Fans | Ghostroaster | Nintendo Friends

3DS Friend Code: 2191-7661-4611 | Nintendo Network ID: Nibelilt

AuthorMessage

black-kyurem

327. Posted:

Hello fellow Nintendolife members! I'm looking for some core/hardcore games to download from the eshop while I wait for my PS Vita. Any recommendations?

black-kyurem

AuthorMessage

black-kyurem

328. Posted:

Hello fellow Nintendolife members! I'm looking for some core/hardcore games to download from the eshop while I wait for my PS Vita. Any recommendations?

black-kyurem

AuthorMessage

Nintenbro

329. Posted:

@black-kyurem

Sakurai Samurai (3DSWare) -
Begins off fairly easy, but the difficulty definitely ramps up as the game goes along. I wouldn't dare consider it a casual gaming experience. I still haven't reached my second boss yet.

Metroid II: Return of Samus (Gameboy VC) -
It's a Metroid game, so you should already know it's hardcore.

Gargoyle's Quest (Gameboy VC) -
I haven't played this yet, but it is considered by many to offer a high level of difficulty. From what I've seen, I don't believe those gamers lied.

Dark Void Zero (DSiWare) -
This game supposedly offers a retro style level of difficulty and could be considered for hardcore gamers.

99 Bullets (DSiWare) -
I haven't played this yet either, but 99 Seconds definitely provides a hardcore style gaming experience. Although, 99 Bullets appears to be of a much higher quality.

Edited on by Nintenbro

Nintendo Bro
3DS FC: 3222-6658-7489

Currently waiting for Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon & Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate

AuthorMessage

RR529

330. Posted:

black-kyurem wrote:

3DSWare:

VVVVVV - it does have a generous amount of checkpoints, but this is old school difficulty at it's finest (and with none of the cheap tricks). On your first playthrough, you'll die anywhere between 300-600 times. If you tackle the "Player Levels", you'll be in for an even deeper challenge.

Sakura Samurai - It doesn't start out hard, but it gets brutal later on (that final boss is a pain in the @ss). You unlock a hard mode once you beat it, which forces you to complete a 3 heart run.

Mutant Mudds - don't let it's cutesy exterior fool you. It's all about old school challenge (insta death spikes, offscreen enemy attacks, and leaps of faith are all present). This is one tough cookie.

Mighty Switch Force! - Not as tough as VVVVVV or Mudds, but it still gets challenging later on, and the optional par times are brutal to beat.

Virtual Console:

LoZ:LADX, Metroid II, Gargoyle's Quest, Mega Man DWR, and Bionic Commando are all sorts of difficult (or have their difficult parts). Old school Capcom games are notorious for their difficulty, so I'd say that Gargoyle's Quest, Mega Man, and Bionic Commando would be your best bets if you go the VC route.

Currently Playing:

InFamous (PS3)
Godzilla: Smash 3 (AND)
Tank Hero (AND)

AuthorMessage

KCKowalchuk

331. Posted:

Sakura Samurai or Mighty Switch Force?

KCKowalchuk

AuthorMessage

Odnetnin

332. Posted:

Haven't played Mighty Switch Force, but Sakura Samurai is a fun game. Very rhythmic and intense gameplay, and there's enough to do that you can play it as long as you want in one session and not get bored.

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter: Odnetnin

AuthorMessage

Retro_on_theGo

333. Posted:

Mighty Switch Force has more charm and is more accessible so I say get that. But Sakura Samurai is on sale, so.

"When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade!" -Hades 3DS FC: 5026-4421-7593
Black 2 FC: 0605 4087 9952 My Backloggery
My Colors! 3D Gallery

AuthorMessage

iphys

334. Posted:

Get Sakura Samurai while it's on sale, and then get Mighty Switch Force later when it goes on sale, lol.

AuthorMessage

CerealKiller528

335. Posted:

Sakura Samurai or Art of Balance TOUCH? Art of Balance looks really fun, but Sakura Samurai is on sale and I wouldn't buy it at $6 since I heard it's basically Punch-Out w/swords.

Just a guy making solo music using Garageband.

AuthorMessage

KCKowalchuk

336. Posted:

Thanks for the advice!

KCKowalchuk

AuthorMessage

iphys

337. Posted:

Art of Balance was one of the few games I regretted downloading on the Wii. I found it a little too sedate, and the controls were a little touchy, but maybe it plays better on the 3DS. I would totally get Sakura Samurai while it's on sale though.

AuthorMessage

BenAV

338. Posted:

I wish I could get Sakura Samurai, but it's probably never coming out here. D:
I'd imagine it'd be better than Art of Balance TOUCH! which is a bit of fun but nothing too special.
No way it can beat Mighty Switch Force though, best game on the eShop yet.

Nintendo Pocket Football Club - Club Name: True Teikoku | Club ID: 9697C6E03

3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV

AuthorMessage

CerealKiller528

339. Posted:

I'll most likely get Sakura Samurai and pray to God Art of Balance lowers to 4.99.

—————
    9.98 (in this case, I'm getting a $10 card.)

Just a guy making solo music using Garageband.

AuthorMessage

Nintenbro

340. Posted:

@CerealKiller528, don't forget about the applicable tax for each game as well. :)

Nintendo Bro
3DS FC: 3222-6658-7489

Currently waiting for Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon & Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate