Forums

Topic: 3DS eShop Recommendations thread

Posts 1,381 to 1,400 of 1,418

David_NL

@VoltageX Also, NSMB2 is pretty good. I'd say my favorite eShop platformer is Shovel Knight.

David_NL

HeroOfCybertron

How's Samurai Defender?

Bah-Weep-Graaaaagnah Wheep Ni Ni Bong

roy130390

Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting Code of Princess now that it is on discount, so I would like to hear your thoughts about it. Nintendo Life seemed to be very positive about it, but I think this game had an edge back then because there weren't many good 3DS games at that time. I love that it has so many playable characters to choose from including dragons and other monsters, but the movement from the characters looks a bit weird, specially because it seems to move in just one dimension instead of the 2.5 D most beat' em ups use ( sorry if I'm not making myself clear here, english isn't my original language), but other than that, it does look pretty solid. I love beat' em ups like River City Ransom, so the RPG elements look like a plus. Thanks for taking your time to reply.

Edit: Just noticed this is a hack and slash game and that it uses a "rail" system to move (which sounds clunky in comparison to being able to move free), I'm still interested in the game though.

Edited on by roy130390

roy130390

CanisWolfred

@roy130390 - It's a poor man's Guardian Heroes (to which CoP was billed as a spiritual successor with some key returning staff) with an all-female cast, and a lot less content. GH was basically the Star Fox 64 of beat 'em ups, complete with hilarious camp voice actiong + story and an enormous amount of worthwhile replayability, so think of CoP as the "Star Fox Zero" in this instance. It's got the right spirit, and it's still kind of fun, but it ruins it with its short length, made worse by the fact that it pads itself out to hell while still feeling short and unsatisfying. It also didn't really bring anything new to the table, even the graphics weren't much of an improvement. A lot of that just comes down to stage and enemy design, and the fact that you have to hrind in order to continue the story, instead of just moving forward. There's not even an inter-connected world, either, the way RCR and Scott Pilgrim: The Game had to make up all the grinding you have to do.

That said, I don't think there was a ton of grinding, but it just helped tto exemplify just how...empty the game feels. Granted, I bought it at launch, so the brevity really colored my experience with it. If it's on sale for <$10, preferably ~$5, I'd recomment it. If it's still $15 or more, though, and you have a Wii U, grab Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara instead. Nearly anything positive I could leverage at CoP, Mystara's duo already pulled off in spades, along with a host of other content that makes it more worth playing. I think the only problem there is a relative lack of playable characters, but then it's two games for the price of one, so...

Oh, and the plane-switching isn't "cumbersome". If anything, your average beat 'em up's movement is more problematic, since if you're a little bit off-center from your target, you wiff. In retrospect, your field of depth is terrible in games like Final Fight or Double Dragon, you have so little feedback as to where you are in comparison to your enemy, and usually your character doesn't get wide attacks like most boses get (which is soooo cheap!).

With the different planes, you finially have structure in your movement, and in both Guardian Heroes and Code of Princess, the devs put it to good use, giving your characters more variety to their attacks (as much as your average fighting game, in fact!), while including attacks that might hit certain or multiple planes, offering up some strategy to your enncounters. Same with your enemies for the most part, though, again, not as much in CoP as I had hoped.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun
Arooo~

I'm Glad the Switch was not a Sandwich Oven!

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

roy130390

@CanisWolfred Thanks for the detailed description mate! It's actually on discount and I've never played Guardian Heroes , so I think that would help me enjoy the game more since it seems that most people agree that Guardian Heroes was the better game. I also don't have a Wii U, but I have a PS4 and I'm planning to get Dragon's Crown pretty soon which I'm sure will be better than this so I plan to but it now that it's cheap and play it before that one so that no superior game overshadows the experience with this game.

I'm also intrigued about the plane-switching now that you gave me a positive point of view about it, specially because it makes a lot of sense. I also tend to agree with your opinions so I think that you will be quite spot on about how I will feel about this game, but I also tend to have lower standards that you so if this game it's a 6 for you (that's how it sounded, sorry if I'm mistaken) maybe it will be a 7 or an 8 for me. In other words... I'm the poor man

roy130390

CanisWolfred

@roy130390 Hopefully you'll enjoy it. Like I said, I have some baises that might hold the experience back for me, so I wouldn't be surprised if you enjoyed it more simply from coming in with more neutral expectations.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun
Arooo~

SuperPaperLuigi

Believe it or not Parking Star 3D is one of my favourites.

It's described as a "leisure game that simulates real parking." ...need I say more. X0D

No but really, it's one of my favourites, I just wish they'd make a sequel. http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/parking-star-3d

Although the cars are identical but for size, they just start out with points in different attributes iirc.

Edited on by SuperPaperLuigi

"I try to put good out into the world, that way I can believe it's out there". --CKN

ManChild

Some great deals to be had at the shop, just just got bass pro arcade no limit for 2.81 not bad!!

Mess with the best, Lose like the rest..!

soma

I got 10 in 1 Arcade Collection. I definitely recommend it if you like Atari games.

soma

x-Lyfa

Hey guys,
i've got some bucks left in my eShop wallet and there're some sales on, too.
but honestly i've got absolutely no clue what 2 buy, tho...
Adventure Bar/Labyrinth r kinda charming and i liked the demo but...
dunno.. i mean, what about story, playtime etc ?

On the other hand, there's [From the Abyss: Anonymous Notes Chapter 1 + 2]
r them good? whats their point and did i need 2 play the main game?
2 make a long telling, short:
any recommendation 4 VC and Nindies (especially RPGs & adventure)?
VC r highly appreciated (NES, GB/GBC) - already got most 'obviously' titles, like TLoZ, Pkmn and Mario :x

edit: bond 2 the eShop EU ^^`

Edited on by x-Lyfa

x-Lyfa

CanisWolfred

@x-Lyfa I would not recommend any of those games you mentioned, even if someone put a gun to my head...

If you want RPGs, just stick to the VC games. Any of them - the whole lot that shows up when you sort by VC+RPG in the eShop. All of them are great, or at least pretty good. All, erm...10 of them...okay, maybe not Mystic Ninja...

As for more Zelda/Metroid-ish adventure games outside of the usual suspects, I've quite enjoyed Bionic Commando: Elite Forces, and I'm pretty sure there's a Blaster Master Game Boy game on there that's good. (Emeny Below! That's the one!) Oh, and of course I'd recommend Gargoyle's Quest, if you don't mind an extreme challenge and some slowdown.

Oh yeah, and I guess NES are an option, too - In that case, I can include Gargoyle's Quest II: The Demon Darkness, as well the original Blaster Master. I can't quite tell if you have a New 3DS or not (Please use less Leet-speak or whatever they call that rediculous shorthand nowadays. It just makes your posts more difficult to read, and unless you're typing with a number pad, you don't have an excuse in this day & age. It's not kosher, so to speak) - However, in case you do, I can add:

• Breath of Fire
  • Breath of Fire II
  • Demon's Crest

I think they're all on the EU store, I can't quite tell, and I'm American, so that's the most help I can give at the moment.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun
Arooo~

x-Lyfa

@CanisWolfred

Ok, and I was really thinking about getting them XD
mhm, as I thought, most of the games you mentioning are already in my collection (BoF and DC)

Feels like that I already got everything "good" the eshop has to offer
(hopefully not)

Aww sorry about that..
My writing is a bit of infested by some MMO's chats XD

I'll try better :3

Edited on by x-Lyfa

x-Lyfa

CanisWolfred

@x-Lyfa That is a significant improvement, and I thank you. And I feel your pain, there's a lot of top-quality games that haven't hit either VC platform yet, especially for the 3DS - on top of the other platforms they were supporting, they added SNES stuff recently, so there could be a lot more down the pipeline, but it could take years before it's all out there, or maybe even never, if the Switch takes off like a rocket...

With that said, I did remember one good eShop RPG that I didn't mention: Crimson Shroud

In fact, it's one of the more interesting eShop games in general. It is a bit short - overall, I'd say it feels like a preview for a much larger game that never came to be, although it does at least have an ending. It's got some interesting gameplay mechanics that simulate aspects of table top roleplaying, like figurines and actual dice that the player can role by flinging them with the touch screen. I really wish they had made a Crimson Shroud 2 instead that whole Unsung Story debacle...it's definitely looking like it might live up to that monicker...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun
Arooo~

x-Lyfa

@CanisWolfred
i really hope there's more to come, especially on the NES/SNES line :/

Crimson Shroud... well i'm not yet certain if it suits me,
from what i've heard or read it's 50% unsatisfied and 50% great, but. . . dunno >.<
The Story sounds interesting, the thing holding me back is that 'awfully' looking gameplay
(bad memories, really bad memories. cough Warhammer real-life cough) xD

could you tell me more about the story, playtime, difficulty and the game itself?
i would highly appreciate it. :3
(it's on my watch-list for ages)

x-Lyfa

CanisWolfred

It's been a while since I've played it, so I can't say much else, but it's about 10 hours long. Really, the only "unsatisfying" thing about it is that length - like I said, it feels like they were teasing a larger project that never came to be, although the ending is at least satisfying, in a novella kind of way, IIRC.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun
Arooo~

Andyv01

Parascientific: Gear Detective... is it longer then the first one? Really enjoyed original but wont yet pay a £5 for this one unless its a good deal bigger.

3DS FC: 3136-7284-3888

Stereoman

hello nlifers!
i got 8 bucks left on my N3ds and wondered what indie title i should get?
Since its sale action. Im interested in:

• steamworld Dig 3,5 something
  • xeodrifter 6 something
  • steamworld heist 7 something bucks

so what do people think?
i want an impressive 2d game with stereo 3d effect. ps intried the demo of mutant mudds and i really disliked it. idk but the blond hero is just awful. although nice tribute to virtual boy?

pls help offer ends in 4 days D:

MH4 online thread

3DS Friend Code: 1504-7028-1432

roy130390

@Stereoman Mmm well, I recommend to look at trailers and reviews of each game. Xeodrifter is similar to metroid but in a smaller scale (battling aliens, exploring planets, Steamworld dig also uses the metroidvania formula but focuses on digging and uses an "steampunk" aesthetic and Steamworld Heist is in the same universe, but it's a turn based strategy game.

roy130390

Stereoman

roy130390 wrote:

@Stereoman Mmm well, I recommend to look at trailers and reviews of each game. Xeodrifter is similar to metroid but in a smaller scale (battling aliens, exploring planets, Steamworld dig also uses the metroidvania formula but focuses on digging and uses an "steampunk" aesthetic and Steamworld Heist is in the same universe, but it's a turn based strategy game.

yes i checked screenshots & trailers.
all games have impressive stereo 3d effects, but i wonder if theybare fun for long?
like how longndo those games need to complete? i dont want an arcade game which is over in 30m - 1 hour.
also how do mutant mudds & xeodrifter compare? they costnalmostnsame and only 30% discount? worth it?

is steamworld dig like terraria or minecraft? open world? how strict are the games on level/world?

cant decide yet lol

MH4 online thread

3DS Friend Code: 1504-7028-1432

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic