3DS eShop Forum

Topic: 3DS eShop Recommendations thread

Showing 1,041 to 1,060 of 1,259

AuthorMessage

PekoponTAS

1,041. Posted:

My top picks would be Gunman Clive, Carps and Dragons, and Dress to Play: Cute Witches

Gunman Clive is a celebration of retro games. It takes a lot of ideas from old games, but in a way that feels like its paying tribute rather than stealing. It also has more replay than most people realize since the speed run goals are never mentioned anywhere in the game or e-manual, so most people never even know about them. You'll know if you've beaten a target time if you have a little star next to your top time. These add a lot more replay, and also make the game a lot more challenging. It's a lot like Mighty Flip Champs where you haven't really played the game until you aim for the top times, since it makes the game entirely different than if you were just playing normally. A very good game, and well worth the 2 dollars. Just be warned if you're expecting NES style difficulty, you won't get that here. Gunman Clive pays tribute to retro games while getting rid of the unnecessary difficulty of those games. It's challenging, but not in a bad way like a majority of NES titles.

Carps and Dragons is a very simplistic top score chaser, where you catch fish in a net. Initially it seems pretty brainless, but as you get to later stages, you'll find that you need to be more accurate than you thought, or else you'll get a game over and have your top score set back to zero if you choose to continue. It also has really charming main characters, (two happy-go-lucky old geezers who just want to catch fish and play the banjo) great audio (both music and sounds) and is very addictive. Just stay away from challenge mode, as its really not that great. Your mileage with the game may be different than mine, but so far I've gotten 8 hours of play time for five dollars according to my activity log.

Dress to Play Cute Witches is a very charming endless runner game, and if you've ever played a DSiWare game called "Gaia's Moon", you'll appreciate Cute Witches. While not particularity difficult or complex, it's a great game to play a few rounds of before bed or while waiting for your food to cook. It can get pretty intense later on too, as it becomes a test to see how long you can keep your run going, which can often be a really long time once you get good at it. While I'm sure most people won't get as much play time out of it as I have, I've logged 10 hours according to my activity log. It's not for everyone, but fans of Kirby won't be turned off by its cuteness, and those looking for something cheap and simple to play will enjoy it.

No matter what the game is, try your best to find enjoyment in it for whatever reason. Sometimes a bad game just needs a bit of a shot to the arm with the imagination of a goofball :).

3DS Friend Code: 4012-3200-6906

AuthorMessage

DarkCoolEdge

1,042. Posted:

@CountWavula one thing is not liking a game, but being disrespectful with the developer is a much different story. Gunman Clive was made by a one man studio and personally, I think he did a great job.

@KeeperBvK have you tried SteamWorld Dig?

Currently playing: check my backloggery
http://www.backloggery.com/DarkCoolEdge

3DS Friend Code: 3265-5151-4824 | Nintendo Network ID: DarkCoolEdge | Twitter: darkcooledge

AuthorMessage

KeeperBvK

1,043. Posted:

To me it just felt like Gunman took ideas left and right from old classics, but didn't know what to do with them or why they worked that well the first time around. It's an ok game, but nothing more to me.

@DarkCoolEdge I've downlaoded it (since it strongly reminds me of I Dig It on iOS), but I haven't tried it so far.

KeeperBvK

AuthorMessage

McFox

1,044. Posted:

Gunman Clive is the best $2 I've every spent in my life.

I like tears.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-7078-8765 | Nintendo Network ID: TheHammerBros

AuthorMessage

Gioku

1,045. Posted:

On the topic of Shantae, I must say I'm very impressed by the animation they were able to pull off in that game - I might be able to take some lessons on small, pixelart animation from Shantae!

Electric Prune Juice Games | Kirby Wiki | Colors! 3D | deviantART | Nintendo Friends
Fluttershy, Rarity, and Vinyl Scratch fan :3

I am now an eShop Guru!
Waiting For: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire & Omega Ruby
The Flutterloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3394-4319-1146 | Nintendo Network ID: Fluttershy_Gioku

AuthorMessage

WaveyChristmas

1,046. Posted:

Gioku wrote:

On the topic of Shantae, I must say I'm very impressed by the animation they were able to pull off in that game - I might be able to take some lessons on small, pixelart animation from Shantae!

Shante looks really good for a GBC game. If you're using the 6th brightness setting(Which you can only get on the original 3DS using the Charger adapter cable) the colors really POP aside from getting whiter whites and a overall brighter picture. :* I haven't played too much of it though, going to put in a couple of hours later tonight!

Edited on by WaveyChristmas

Currently Playing: Kirby's Dreamland 2!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

WaveyChristmas

1,047. Posted:

DarkCoolEdge wrote:

@CountWavula one thing is not liking a game, but being disrespectful with the developer is a much different story. Gunman Clive was made by a one man studio and personally, I think he did a great job.

World of Goo was basically a 1-man studio as well and it was a lot more original, fun & innovative than Gunman Clive could ever dream of being. It's like the developer stole mechanics, enemy attack patterns and stage design ideas from Popular retro franchises such as Mega man, Donkey Kong ect, threw them in a low grade blender and completely WATERED everything down and cake layered it in one forgettable plain western cell shaded look that LOOKS fitting for a bargin bin I-Phone game. Perhaps i'm being a little too harsh given that it's a a $2 game, but good grief is this game extremely overrated. I've seen it all before and done A LOT better, they could of at least made a memorable lead characters, upped the ante and made the backdrops more interesting. Everything...is just, generic and forgettable. This games existence feels pointless given the superior titles that it steals from.

We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!

AuthorMessage

Red_XIII

1,048. Posted:

CountWavula wrote:

DarkCoolEdge wrote:

World of Goo was basically a 1-man studio as well and it was a lot more original, fun & innovative than Gunman Clive could ever dream of being. It's like the developer stole mechanics, enemy attack patterns and stage design ideas from Popular retro franchises such as Mega man, Donkey Kong ect, threw them in a low grade blender and completely WATERED everything down and cake layered it in one forgettable plain western cell shaded look that LOOKS fitting for a bargin bin I-Phone game. Perhaps i'm being a little too harsh given that it's a a $2 game, but good grief is this game extremely overrated. I've seen it all before and done A LOT better, they could of at least made a memorable lead characters, upped the ante and made the backdrops more interesting. Everything...is just, generic and forgettable. This games existence feels pointless given the superior titles that it steals from.

The fact is, if it wasn't a mobile game, would you be dissing it so much??? Re. watering down, I personally think that combining aspects from multiple games is good. Also, the story is practically irrelevant, like the Mario games. In my opinion it wasn't robbery, it was homage.
And if you are implying the soundtrack is forgettable...
But that's my opinion.

Red_XIII

AuthorMessage

WaveyChristmas

1,049. Posted:

I'd be dissing it regardless, mobile or not. combing aspects from multiple games is uncreative, i just don't understand how so many gamers who have been gaming since the 80's that have pretty much played it all Retro platforming-wise would gush over this game or find it anything other than mediocre. It brings nothing new to the table instead of dishing out the same old crap we've all played before.....BUT for an outstanding low $1.99 yayyyy. :P And i'd say there were a couple of decent tracks in the game. 'Space Cow boy' being the standout

The others left a nasty taste in my mouth. Different strokes! And i don't like the art style either, it's just lifeless, not one character has character, it's just bland junk all around.

I'd rather play more original quality platformers like Shovel Knight ;) However, As everybody knows SK does borrow Links downward thrust from Zelda II as a main platforming attack, but it hasn't been done unless i'm mistaken in a straight up platformer. I love the shovel swining attack and deflecting as well, it looks like it has it's own identity.

AuthorMessage

Magikarp3

1,050. Posted:

I always felt the downward thrust from Shovel Knight was more Ducktales-ey, but I'll stop before this thread gets too sidetracked.

Out of curiosity Wave, have you played Fractured Soul?

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo

always thought I'd change to Gyarados after I turned 20 but hey, this is more fitting I guess. (also somebody registered under the original Magikarp name and I can't get back to it anymore orz)

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

AuthorMessage

PekoponTAS

1,051. Posted:

There are two ways to look at Gunman Clive. As an uncreative rip off game, or a celebration of retro games, which is what it's obviously trying to be. I'll say that having played the games Gunman Clive pays homage too, it's a really charming game that is essentially a road trip through old NES tropes, but without the needlessly high difficulty. Gunman Clive is like the Indiana Jones movies where you can point exactly to what it borrows from, yet it still feels like its own thing.

Gunman Clive has more replay than it initially seems too, since it has the speed run target times that add a whole new layer to how the game is played. It's kind of like how you really haven't played Mighty Flip Champs until you go for the target time S ranks. It changes the game completely.

But anyways, some other eShop games I recommend are...

Bloody Vampire, which is sort of like a much easier version of the exploration Castlevania games (complete with awesome soundtrack by eShop standards)

Bike Rider DX, which is a fun endless runner with a great campaign mode

And I also recommend Nightsky, but the game is pretty unremarkable if you're stuck in the house. Nightsky is best played on a clear night with the stars shining above you, as it suddenly becomes an amazing experience if played in this setting.

No matter what the game is, try your best to find enjoyment in it for whatever reason. Sometimes a bad game just needs a bit of a shot to the arm with the imagination of a goofball :).

3DS Friend Code: 4012-3200-6906

AuthorMessage

WaveyChristmas

1,052. Posted:

Kershloop!....Yeah, you know it was pretty neat at first but that's mainly due to the 3D effect, but after the 3rd level(Which was the most amazing imo) it started to get a little stale, especially with the same track playing in the background....Looping and looping. Also, It seems like if you don't use the stone you're screwed. :p The bouncy ball and what have you are nearly impossible to control ect ect. It's tricky as hell though and i love the whimsical vibe and Stone/whatever selection screen music!

and good grief, i don't know about you guys but i'm finding it really tough to get comfortable when i'm playing hand helds....My back ends up aching after 5-10 minutes, i have my neck crained down and you have to put more energy and focus with the 3D effect on, it just makes for an uncomfortable experience. Any tips?lol I usually just sit on a couch normally, either with my back pressed agaist the couch, or leaning forward. EIther way, things get uncomfortable after 5-10 mega minutes like i mentioned before. :P

AuthorMessage

Spoony_Tech

1,053. Posted:

@CountWavula Really? I play mine like 4 plus hours a day and no problems. Maybe you need to step back up to the XL! it sounds like you need to relax more when playing. Lay down if you can I do.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

I'm finding this game way too distracting. I would much rather be playing it right now rather than working!
Words to live by!!

Formerly Tech101 and OldMan-Tech
Tech

3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: Spoony_Tech

AuthorMessage

WaveyChristmas

1,054. Posted:

Spoony_Tech wrote:

@CountWavula Really? I play mine like 4 plus hours a day and no problems. Maybe you need to step back up to the XL! it sounds like you need to relax more when playing. Lay down if you can I do.

I found a way to get comfortable, just by laying back more on the couch to the point where i can almost look straight forward without bending my neck while having my legs stretched out and feet on the coffee table, works like a charm! I'm wavin'. lol B-)

Untitled Untitled

Anybody else not really feeling Bionic Commando for the gameboy? It's driving me nuts that i can't jump and the controls do take a bit of a learning curve. Yeesh, i feel like I'm getting pickier and pickier these days, at least when it comes to portable gamnig.....me thinks. :*

AuthorMessage

Chucko

1,055. Posted:

I'm looking to get into the 3DS eShop but have NO clue what to get. Fire away, NLife community, what game would you recommend I get first?

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, would you kindly?

AuthorMessage

Andyv01

1,056. Posted:

the e-shop has a fair bit of content now (DsiWare library is huge) so what type of game are you looking for? also, what level difficulty are you aiming for?

some recommendations, have a look at the video's and reviews on NL :)

Sakura Samurai - fun little reaction based fight game, love the visual style, worth a look
VVVVV - platform, physics bending goodness... DIFFICULT
Steamworld Dig - engrossing dig-em-up, a joy to explore, all over fairly fast but worth it methinks

also had fun with:
SpeedX, PicrossE, attack of the Friday monsters, Gunman Clive, Mutant Mudds, Pullbox, Crimson Shroud and Mighty Switch Force.

3DS FC: 3136-7284-3888

樹懶です!

AuthorMessage

Tobias95

1,057. Posted:

Chucko wrote:

I'm looking to get into the 3DS eShop but have NO clue what to get. Fire away, NLife community, what game would you recommend I get first?

Attack of the friday monsters! a Tokyo tale

I am from Norway. Pleas have in mind my english might not be the best. but I am trying ;)

3DS Friend Code: 1977-0291-4355 | Nintendo Network ID: hylfrid

AuthorMessage

Chucko

1,058. Posted:

@Tobias @Andy Thanks for the recommendations! I'll give them all a look. Yearning for a platformer so I'll keep all of these in mind.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, would you kindly?

AuthorMessage

Gioku

1,059. Posted:

@Chucko: If you're looking for a good platformer, Gunman Clive is a good (cheap) choice! It's not the longest game ever, but it gets pretty hard and it looks nice! it's worth a shot I'd say. :)

Electric Prune Juice Games | Kirby Wiki | Colors! 3D | deviantART | Nintendo Friends
Fluttershy, Rarity, and Vinyl Scratch fan :3

I am now an eShop Guru!
Waiting For: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire & Omega Ruby
The Flutterloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3394-4319-1146 | Nintendo Network ID: Fluttershy_Gioku

AuthorMessage

Tobias95

1,060. Posted:

Should I buy doki doki panic? (Super Mario bros. 2 but I cant call it a actual Mario game andvprefer to use its real name)

I am from Norway. Pleas have in mind my english might not be the best. but I am trying ;)

3DS Friend Code: 1977-0291-4355 | Nintendo Network ID: hylfrid