3DS eShop Forum

Topic: Mutant Mudds

Showing 161 to 180 of 212

AuthorMessage

cc-plus

161. Posted:

I feel the same way as oiiopo. Love the game's presentation, the controls are pretty solid but the insta-death spikes is really detracting from my experience. I can't shake the feeling that I'm dying mainly because of cheap spikes/enemy placement and not clever level design. Usually I get stuck in platformers because I can't figure out a certain spot, once I've figured it out I don't die there anymore unless I'm super careless or take too many risks. In this game, it's easy to misstep and instantly die whether you've memorised certain parts of a level or not. This is the opposite of what I felt when playing Mighty Switch Force.

I was really looking forward to Mutant Mudds and it pains me to say this. I like challenges but only if they're fun. Hopefully my opinion will change when I give it another try later tonight. :(

Edited on by cc-plus

cc-plus

AuthorMessage

1wiierdguy

162. Posted:

My old school skills are rusty. I'm finding this pretty tricky just a few levels in! Still mad fun tho!

3ds friendcode 1246 8745 9613
Wii FC 5443 7387 2366 1201

AuthorMessage

Radixxs

163. Posted:

I didn't enjoy the demo at first, but now I am enjoying it. But I don't want to commit $9 to a game that has cheap deaths.

I've got the body of a taut, pre-teen Swedish boy.
Covers & Korg DS-10 Originals.

AuthorMessage

Odnetnin

164. Posted:

Radixxs wrote:

I didn't enjoy the demo at first, but now I am enjoying it. But I don't want to commit $9 to a game that has cheap deaths.

Yeah, if you can't get past cheap deaths, this is not the game for you. :P

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter: Odnetnin

AuthorMessage

Nibelilt

165. Posted:

I don't see how this game is full of cheap deaths, you just have to get the levels down before finishing them. Definitely worth the wait IMO.

@cc-plus We're the opposite way around then, I feel like I can control Mudds perfectly, and I love the level design and the layer mechanics, and it's the other way around in MSF to me because I find the controls in that game are so un-polished and difficult to grasp and the switching just isn't that interesting.

Edited on by Nibelilt

"In the beginning, the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Myland's Dream Address: 6500-2329-0504 | (Currently Inactive) Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2191-7661-4611 | Nintendo Network ID: Nibelilt

AuthorMessage

Radixxs

166. Posted:

Oddy wrote:

Radixxs wrote:

[/div]

Exactly how cheap are we talking?

I've got the body of a taut, pre-teen Swedish boy.
Covers & Korg DS-10 Originals.

AuthorMessage

RetroGBHippie92

167. Posted:

Just bought this game today, it's finally been released in our region and I love it to pieces. It's sure worth the $16.90 NZD I had to pay, mind you that's probably more expensive than what you have to pay in the states. Music is brilliant, the visuals are superb and crisp and the 3D effect is what I love most about Mutant Mudds. As for cheap deaths, meh, it's part of the experience, MM isn't exactly megaman but i've been held back a stage for quite some time just to complete it without losing all of my health in one go by some cheap enemy placement.
What would you guys give this game? I reckon it deserves 10/10, despite what with everyone going on about cheap deaths and such it's a top notch title in my opinion. The last 3DS download software game I got before Mutant Mudds was 3D Classics: Kid Icarus and I can say this game is on par with Kid Icarus, by that I mean it's a really fun game.

My Nintendo Network ID: NinLiferOMB
Currently Playing: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates To Infinity (3DS) The Denpa Men 2: Beyond The Waves (eShop)
My Backloggery
3DS FC: 2320 6151 3634
Email me at scottharding2005@yahoo.com.au] if you want to join my 3DS buddy list :)

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6151-3634 | Nintendo Network ID: NinLiferOMB

AuthorMessage

Nibelilt

168. Posted:

I'll give it a 9/10. It's constantly joyous to play, it has a wonderful sense of humor, the graphics are awesomely retro and it's probably the first really challenging 3DS game out. All of this and it's only $13.50! Well worth the wait!

Edited on by Nibelilt

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

AuthorMessage

RR529

169. Posted:

I'd give it a 7/10.

What I like - the game feels very tight control wise, it has loads of content, the 3D is superb, the dev's gave it an old school difficulty, and I love the retro soundtrack.

What I dislike - the cheap deaths later on (not the spikes so much as the offscreen enemy attacks. The ones that shoot they're eyes, & the bomb dropping ones are the biggest culprits). While the gameplay is fantastic, it has a safe design (after MSF's & VVVVVV's more unique takes on the genre, it was a bit of a letdown that MM didn't try anything new, gameplay wise). Lack of bosses. While these last few are more opinion based, they still affect my view of the game. I dislike the "12 bit" visuals (I love retro games, but it feels as if they couldn't decide whether or not to make it 8 bit, or 16 bit. Because of that, the nostalgia factor isn't as strong as it would have been otherwise, IMO). The game's theme seems very uninspired (felt like they put a total of 5 minutes into thinking what the game was going to be about). The price (I feel like VVVVVV offered just as much content, and was a little less expensive).

It's a great game for sure, but I don't understand the blind love some people have for it.

Currently Playing:

Red Dead Redemption (360)

Smashatar of the week: Charizard firing it up!

AuthorMessage

GTWarrior77

170. Posted:

Mutant Mudds brings back memories of the old Duke Nukem sidescrolling pc games back in the day. Since I downloaded Mutant Mudds on Thursday, I've been having a blast with it.
Is the game perfect? No!
Are there a few cheap deaths? Yes!
Regardless of this, I can't seem to put the game down. It's got character and charm. Something that is very difficult to achieve in a game. And that's why I give it 2 thumbs up.

"As a man thinketh, so is he."

3DS fc: 0817 - 4085 - 8871
WiiU NNID: GTWarrior

AuthorMessage

Nintenbro

171. Posted:

This is way, way off topic. But...

@cc-plus, I've been meaning to mention this to you, but your avatar just gives me the creeps. I wouldn't be able to tell if that character was a male or female, unless you informed me. And then it would still have weirded me out. I'm sorry, to have interrupted your Mutant Mudds discussion to mention this guys, but I just couldn't take it any longer.

Edited on by Nintenbro

Nintendo Bro
3DS FC: 3222-6658-7489

Currently waiting for Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon & Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate

AuthorMessage

ImDiggerDan

172. Posted:

There's a lot of positive comments on here for the controls, but personally, I find them a little awkward/bugged in some respects. When jumping from normal ground (like many other games) you have full control in the air. Fine. When jumping from ice, you control in the air exactly the same as if you are skidding around on ice until you fire up the jetpack (unlike many other games). I found this made it pretty tricky to get by some of the puzzles where you have tight jumps to perform whilst avoiding enemies or timing jumps onto the disappearing platforms.

Also, I personally would have preferred a button arrangement of B and X for jumping and Y and A for shooting. That combo allows the user pretty much any combination of shoot/jump that they might prefer. The current setup always has the shoot button to the left of the jump button which is not my preferred setup.

Author of Digger Dan DSiWare.
Coming very soon to Nintendo 3DS via the eShop.
www.diggerdan.co.uk

Twitter: MickW8s

AuthorMessage

Jollykarp

173. Posted:

Yes, the ice stages were a huge pain. The physics make it possible to get across all the obstacles, but not in the expected way. Prime case is the bit with the hammers on ice; who would think to activate their jetpack to completely stop themselves in midair? The lava stage too; not all but some fireballs seem to pop up randomly, giving the player almost no chance to dodge if they're unlucky.

Wow, I feel like I'm bashing the game so much now. It's a good game, and addictive too, really. It's not the best thing available imo (I enjoyed MSF much more) but I certainly don't regret buying this!

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo
Interested in games as art?

"This is the best gift I can give to you right now. A gift without form called "memory". I don't have any money. I can't buy you anything with form. Even so, even without a form, a memory will last forever! I believe that it will."

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

AuthorMessage

Nibelilt

174. Posted:

I do agree with the ice physics. No idea why they did that.

Secret 1-3 was such a huge pain 2-1 seemed like a cakewalk in comparison. :P

AuthorMessage

BenAV

175. Posted:

I started the game earlier.
From what I've played so far, it's fun, but nothing amazing.
Mighty Switch Force blows it out of the water at a much cheaper price.

My Colors! 3D Gallery

3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV

AuthorMessage

RainbowDash

176. Posted:

I have to give it a 9.5/10. It's a bit on the expensive side, but if you have the money, go for it.

3DS FC: 4253-3490-5944
Steam: [TTPN] Rainbow Dash
Currently Playing:
Pikmin 2 (Wii)
Punch-Out!! (3DS Virtual Console)
Anticipated games:
Bomb Monkey (3DS eShop)
Paper Mario Sticker Star (3DS)
Pikmin 3 (Wii U)

AuthorMessage

Odnetnin

177. Posted:

Radixxs wrote:

Oddy wrote:

Radixxs wrote:

[/div]

[/div]

[/div]

Exactly how cheap are we talking?

There's actually only two levels that come to mind when I think of cheap deaths, in retrospect. The last level in the second-to-last world, and the last level in the last world. Other than that, you shouldn't be too frustrated at the game for your many, many deaths; you'll just blame yourself. For me, when I blame myself rather than the game, it makes me want to keep going, and that happened pretty much all the way through until those two levels. They didn't make me want to keep playing because I knew it was poor level design that was my undoing, not any fault of my own.

TL;DR Just go for it if you want an amazing new eShop game and you have the cash, because the frustrations won't ruin your experience.

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter: Odnetnin

AuthorMessage

K964

178. Posted:

I'm stuck on 4-4. Any tips?

"Good. Everyone's together. Pyrrhon loves a party."
"...It's funny because marriage is terrible!"
If you know the origin of both of those quotes, then you're awesome!

AuthorMessage

Nibelilt

179. Posted:

If you get the extended jetpack on you can nab a lot of the sprites much more easily and save quite a few lives. I used it to hold on at the tricky jump before the hammers. Mildly helpful for the ice stretch and very helpful for the spike-filled pits after that.

The thing you should be most worried about is the Mudd Knight after the spike pits- it can score a death on you or knock you into the surrounding spikes and it's very tricky to hit, because it's in a tight space. If you equip the extended jet pack you may be able to hover over it more easily- why I suggested it mainly.

Try to master the jumps up until that knight, and try to get to it with full health, because there are more after that. No part of the level is nearly as cruel and harsh as the first knight though. I don't blame you for getting stuck on it- other than Secret 3-1 it's the hardest level I've played through so far. It took me about 30 tries just to master the jumping and another 15 to get past that darn knight! :O

If you haven't unlocked the extended jetpack, it's fairly easy, just get 1200 Golden Diamonds, and get it from Grannie's Attic.

Edit: I'm stuck on 5-4, does anyone have any tips on it?

Edit 2: Never mind, I finished it. That was a hard level! I actually missed one Golden Diamond the first time through so it took me about 15 extra tries but I clocked it and finished the G-Land in it too. :D I feel so good.

Also Edit: I just clocked the game and it feels boss. B)

Edited on by Nibelilt

AuthorMessage

RetroGBHippie92

180. Posted:

I bet Mutant Mudds during the week,, boy the last few stages were hard as f**k. I'm listening to the OST now, man it's beautiful.
@nibelilt That level is a bitch, but I managed to get it eventually. Sounds like you did well congrats, but I bet Mutant mudds during the week, can't remember what day though, but I 100% the game, did you get every shine sprite?
OMG, Can't believe they're making a sequel to Mutant Mudds, I will download that when that comes out.

My Nintendo Network ID: NinLiferOMB
Currently Playing: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates To Infinity (3DS) The Denpa Men 2: Beyond The Waves (eShop)
My Backloggery
3DS FC: 2320 6151 3634
Email me at scottharding2005@yahoo.com.au] if you want to join my 3DS buddy list :)

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6151-3634 | Nintendo Network ID: NinLiferOMB