3DS eShop Forum

Topic: Has Nintendo ever said why there's no color option for GB games?

Showing 1 to 20 of 26

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tryken

1. Posted:

As the title says. Has Nintendo ever said why there's no color option for old GB games like the GBC added? Sometimes the black and white in original Gameboy games doesn't help their aging process, and I long for that nice bit of color GBC added to games (I remember playing Pokemon on a GBC for the first time. It was like falling in love all over again).

Tryken

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Link245

2. Posted:

They never really gave an explanation. I agree there needs to be the option of changing the color like a GBC. Maybe they could do the screen where the Gameboy logo appears and you could change it there. Then it would really feel like you were playing on GBC!

Currently Playing:
Xbox 360: Arkham City, MW3, Gears 3, UMV3, Battlefield 3
PS3: inFAMOUS 2, LBP 2. Rachet & Clank: All 4 One, Uncharted 3, Resistance 3
Xperia Play: Crash Bandicoot
iOS: Sonic CD, Infinity Blade, Arkham City Lockdown, Mega Man X, Chrono Trigger

My Gaming Blog at GameInformer

AuthorMessage
Avatar

James

3. Posted:

The Virtual Console is supposed to emulate the original games as closely as possible, hence why they're black and white. I don't think Nintendo has said why they're only B&W but that's what they'd say :)

I am not ignoring you. I just do not post much.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WaveyChristmas

4. Posted:

Well, if anything I'm a bit dissapointed in the Green Monochrome emulation when playing VC titles since the green tends to drown out a lot of detail in the backgrounds and makes the games look graphically worse because of that reason alone...If that weren't the case I wouldn't bother switching to Black & White. But as it stands i toggle between the two during mid game just to get a taste of both hehe. :p

Anyways, the green is more pleasing to me, because...well, it's an actual color and that's how the original GB games looked on the Game Boy, so clearly the nostalgic kicky' is in full force. :D But the detail drowing is a big turn off. But I do like that nostalgiac GB Ghosting effect. B-)

On the GB, we had the slider to adjust the green effect, Nintendo should of opted to do the same for the emulations or at least give us a proper emulation with no detail drowning.

Edited on by WaveyChristmas

Currently Playing: Kirby's Dreamland 2!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

warioswoods

5. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

Well, if anything I'm a bit dissapointed in the Green Monochrome emulation when playing VC titles since the green tends to drown out a lot of detail in the backgrounds and makes the games look graphically worse because of that reason alone...If that weren't the case I wouldn't bother switching to Black & White. But as it stands i toggle between the two during mid game just to get a taste of both hehe. :p

Anyways, the green is more pleasing to me, because...well, it's an actual color and that's how the original GB games looked on the Game Boy, so clearly the nostalgic kicky' is in full force. :D But the detail drowing is a big turn off. But I do like that nostalgiac GB Ghosting effect. B-)

On the GB, we had the slider to adjust the green effect, Nintendo should of opted to do the same for the emulations or at least give us a proper emulation with no detail drowning.

Agreed, the problem with the "green" mode is that you can't adjust the contrast, and it's way too dark / green by default (I remember it looking more "golden" when I played my original GB). They could have perfected it by making the 3D slider adjust the contrast.

Twitter is a good place to throw your nonsense.
Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -Lakitu 64
Join us in the epic Nintendo Life Wii Music Thread

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Whopper744

6. Posted:

I'm surprised at how, way back when, how the Game Gear looked and sounded better that the old GB by a good bit. The games on the GB where a lot better though, and the Game Gear did eat batteries (I am a Sonic fan though!).
Honestly I still think they could do a lot better with the sound on the newer handhelds as well. The sound for the videos and music is bad. The game sound is alright though.

Nintendo ID : Whopper744
Fellow WV residents and MK8 fans...join the WV Cup today! 3052 9702 2828

Join Koopalings Thursdays! 5842-3656-8790

(used to be Joshers744...changed it to my Nintendo ID)

-John 3:16

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9014-2585 | Nintendo Network ID: Whopper744

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Link79

7. Posted:

It's kinda strange how they wanna be so classic with the 3DS VC and keep everything as it was originally.
Back when the super Gameboy came out it was so cool to be able to play the games in color on your TV.
Now we've gone backwards and suddenly reverted back to the small screen with no color again.
Sometimes I think the whole retro thing can go too far.

3DS Friend code 4038-6006-7917
Wii Friend code 3553-5293-8702-0039
Smash Bros. Brawl 0001-3032-2653
Mario vs DK: Minis March Again 3310-6435-2823
Wii and 3DS ID Link

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

WaLzgi

8. Posted:

You whiners didn't grow up with the Game Boy/GB Pocket, did ya? We don't need no stinking color!!

If you care so much for your privacy, what are you hiding?

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

iphys

9. Posted:

I agree the background on the original GB was more golden than the shade they give us, and I even complained about it in the Qix post-play survey. If they were going to include both the GB pocket greyscale, and the original GB pea soup, I don't see why they couldn't have also included the GBC palettes or the Super GB. It just seems lazy and cheap not to give us the extra options — the GBC and Super GB were part of the GB family too. There's no way I believe that they didn't ultimately intend for the GB games to be played in colour one day.

http://backloggery.com/iphys

3DS Friend Code: 1504-5686-7557 | Nintendo Network ID: iphys_eh

AuthorMessage
Avatar

the_shpydar

10. Posted:

lz20XX wrote:

You whiners didn't grow up with the Game Boy/GB Pocket, did ya? We don't need no stinking color!!

Damn straight! :)

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong. Also, Lindsey Stirling. Because violin awesomeness.
Current E.T. count: 26 Copies. 2 Sealed, 7 CIB, 3 Boxed, 14 Cart-Only.

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Yrreiht

11. Posted:

the_shpydar wrote:

lz20XX wrote:

You whiners didn't grow up with the Game Boy/GB Pocket, did ya? We don't need no stinking color!!

Damn straight! :)

I can only agree with you :D

Revenge is better with chili sauce... everything is better with chili sauce.

3DS Friend Code: 5069-4008-9404 | Nintendo Network ID: Tynerds37

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bass_X0

12. Posted:

Super Game Boy support would have been cool and used all the time but I'm not going to download less games just because they're in b&w.

Edgey, Gumshoe, Godot, Sissel, Larry, then Mia, Franziska, Maggie, Kay and Lynne.

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing happens!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

LordTendoboy

13. Posted:

LordJumpLz wrote:

You whiners didn't grow up with the Game Boy/GB Pocket, did ya? We don't need no stinking color!!

Added you.

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
PSN ID PS_man1984

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TKOWL

14. Posted:

LordTendoboy wrote:

LordJumpLz wrote:

You whiners didn't grow up with the Game Boy/GB Pocket, did ya? We don't need no stinking color!!

Added you.

What does that have to do with anything?

Backloggery | Art Blog

Nintendo Network ID: Ryanknight-TKOWL | Twitter: TKOWL

AuthorMessage
Avatar

komicturtle

15. Posted:

I like my Gameboy Pocket more than my GB Color. Nice big screen and still portable :)

komicturtle

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Stereoman

16. Posted:

Tryken wrote:

As the title says. Has Nintendo ever said why there's no color option for old GB games like the GBC added? Sometimes the black and white in original Gameboy games doesn't help their aging process, and I long for that nice bit of color GBC added to games (I remember playing Pokemon on a GBC for the first time. It was like falling in love all over again).

all you can do is to make a stand and dont buy their aged GB games. Instead prefer the modul and play those in all their colorful glory either on GBA / GBC .
That was what i did with metroid 2 and it was just amazing to see that color palette ;)

Edited on by Stereoman

Stereoman

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Stereoman

17. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

Well, if anything I'm a bit dissapointed in the Green Monochrome emulation when playing VC titles since the green tends to drown out a lot of detail in the backgrounds and makes the games look graphically worse because of that reason alone...If that weren't the case I wouldn't bother switching to Black & White. But as it stands i toggle between the two during mid game just to get a taste of both hehe. :p

Anyways, the green is more pleasing to me, because...well, it's an actual color and that's how the original GB games looked on the Game Boy, so clearly the nostalgic kicky' is in full force. :D But the detail drowing is a big turn off. But I do like that nostalgiac GB Ghosting effect. B-)

On the GB, we had the slider to adjust the green effect, Nintendo should of opted to do the same for the emulations or at least give us a proper emulation with no detail drowning.

waveboy you are very inconsequent !
here you buy clearly inferior GB games for steep prices on the 3Ds and yet you complain about somehow "wasted out" colors in the ambassador GBA games. And those were free.

Im very happy with all the GBA games but as of now the GB virtual console on 3Ds is just a hoax which i wont support ....

tisk , tisk tisk ....

Stereoman

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Stereoman

18. Posted:

Link79 wrote:

It's kinda strange how they wanna be so classic with the 3DS VC and keep everything as it was originally.
Back when the super Gameboy came out it was so cool to be able to play the games in color on your TV.
Now we've gone backwards and suddenly reverted back to the small screen with no color again.
Sometimes I think the whole retro thing can go too far.

this !

Stereoman

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Hokori

19. Posted:

Lordlz wrote:

You whiners didn't grow up with the Game Boy/GB Pocket, did ya? We don't need no stinking color!!

exactly, I was introduced to video games with the genesis and the B/W GB and as far as I was concerned at the time, that was what made a video game a video game, pure fun, no need for fancy illusions of graphics and junk

Edited on by Hokori

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Stereoman

20. Posted:

KoMiCtUrTlE wrote:

I like my Gameboy Pocket more than my GB Color. Nice big screen and still portable :)

sorry turtle to depress you but the GB pocket and the GBC had the EXACT same chassis. So the GBC would have been better :P I dont get all that color hate in this thread.
Are you all those weird conservative people from pleasantville or what ? ... Grumble grumble ....

Stereoman