3DS eShop Forum

Topic: Dillon's Rolling Western - Impressions

Showing 101 to 120 of 123

AuthorMessage

KuraiSamurai

101. Posted:

Do you think I should get rolling western or mutant mudds? I just can't decide!

KuraiSamurai

AuthorMessage

IAmNotWill

102. Posted:

Rolling Western. It'll last a while.

Why can't Metroid crawl?
My Backloggery | Helpful Tips for Formatting Messages | NintendoLife Chat
Formerly WhoKnew, Its-Mii-Will
PSN ID: willfuture

3DS Friend Code: 0001-3392-4205 | Nintendo Network ID: willfuture

AuthorMessage

bboy2970

103. Posted:

KuraiSamurai wrote:

Do you think I should get rolling western or mutant mudds? I just can't decide!

Depends. Rolling Western will undoubtedly last longer than Mutant Mudds but Mutant Mudds is definitely the tighter, more well-crafted game. So it boils down to Roling Western which is good and lasts a while or Mutant Mudds which is great but is over quicker. Also, they are totally different genres. Do you like Tower Defense, or Platformers best? They are both pretty up there in difficulty although I'd give Mudds the edge in the difficulty category. When it comes down to it both games are really good for their own reasons and you should make it a point to own both at some point. If you want my opinion though, get Mutant Mudds first.

My backloggery: http://backloggery.com/bboy2970

AuthorMessage

Spoony_Tech

104. Posted:

Didn't the demo for mudds come out today?

Personally I hate mudds. For me its over priced for the length. Dillons starts out slow but gets better with every stage. If you like old school platforming then go for mudds if you like a new experience go for Dillon's! Both have stuff to offer!

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

I'm finding this game way too distracting. I would much rather be playing it right now rather than working!
Words to live by!!

Formerly Tech101 and OldMan-Tech
Tech

3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: Spoony_Tech

AuthorMessage

KuraiSamurai

105. Posted:

Thanks for the information. I couldn't decide so I just added a couple more dollars and got both. Ha ha.

KuraiSamurai

AuthorMessage

KuraiSamurai

106. Posted:

I'm happy I did too. They're both great.

KuraiSamurai

AuthorMessage

WesFX

107. Posted:

bboy2970 wrote:

Mutant Mudds is definitely the tighter, more well-crafted game.

I guess I may be speaking a bit out of turn, since I haven't played Mutant Mudds yet, but would you be willing to go into why you think Mutant Mudds is a tighter, more well-crafted game? I look at Dillon's Rolling Western, and I see every day of every town as a well-crafted experience, with the player given the freedom to create a strategy within it. This freedom perhaps takes away a "tight" feeling, and the genres make you see "taking a hit" a bit differently. In a platformer, getting to the end of the stage and having taken a few hits along the way might feel fine, but in Dillon's Rolling Western or a "protect the base" style game, any encroachment (or hit taken) on the village, any towers that were destroyed, might feel like a sloppy success. I look at it and just understand that my success is only dependent on having any Scrogs left at all, just as getting to the end of a platformer level with any health left at all is success to me. Perhaps this way of looking at it is the difference (or one of them) that makes you see it as a less well-crafted game, but I'd like to know in your own words.

Edited on by WesFX

WesFX

AuthorMessage

grumblegrumble

108. Posted:

How much space (blocks, etc) does this game take up? These 3DSWare games are huge! Zomg! Had to delete stuff recently for Colors 3D and for Ketzal's Corridors so I am just curious.

3DS Friend Code: 4511-0578-9918 (User name: Grumble) If u add me let me know so I can add you back ;) Current Favorites: NSMB 2, CrossWords Plus, Art Academy: Lessons For Everyone, Donkey Kong, Mario Golf, Balloon Pop Remix, Precipice, Digidrive, Art of Balance: Touch, Speed X3D, Retro Pocket

AuthorMessage

Spoony_Tech

109. Posted:

For the lenght of this game its not to bad. Its 374 blocks.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

I'm finding this game way too distracting. I would much rather be playing it right now rather than working!
Words to live by!!

Formerly Tech101 and OldMan-Tech
Tech

3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: Spoony_Tech

AuthorMessage

grumblegrumble

110. Posted:

Tech101 wrote:

For the lenght of this game its not to bad. Its 374 blocks.

Good God! I need to buy a bigger SD card already. lol

3DS Friend Code: 4511-0578-9918 (User name: Grumble) If u add me let me know so I can add you back ;) Current Favorites: NSMB 2, CrossWords Plus, Art Academy: Lessons For Everyone, Donkey Kong, Mario Golf, Balloon Pop Remix, Precipice, Digidrive, Art of Balance: Touch, Speed X3D, Retro Pocket

AuthorMessage

Yrreiht

111. Posted:

bboy2970 wrote:

Mutant Mudds is definitely the tighter, more well-crafted game.

Sorry, but i disagree. Yes, the controls are very good, but i felt so bored when i played that game, i regretted buying it in the first place.
On the other hand, Dillion's has some awkward controls, much like Kid Icarus Uprising, but i got used to them in a minute and i had a lot of fun playing that game. But i gotta give credit to Mudds, the controls are top notch and, much like Dillon's, has some seriously difficult moments.

Revenge is better with chili sauce... everything is better with chili sauce.

3DS Friend Code: 5069-4008-9404 | Nintendo Network ID: Tynerds37

AuthorMessage

RR529

112. Posted:

Tech101 wrote:

Didn't the demo for mudds come out today?

Personally I hate mudds. For me its over priced for the length.

Thank You! I wouldn't go as far to say I hated it, but I was underwhelmed considering the game's hype. IMO, it doesn't nail the retro feel as well as Mighty Switch Force or VVVVVV (they seem to know what era they're trying to emulate, Mudds doesn't know whether to be 8-bit or 16-bit). VVVVVV trumps it in difficulty, and ties it in length (considering the player levels). Mudds has the safest design (simple jumping and shooting compared to VVVVVV's gravity manipulation, and MSF's platform shifting). VVVVVV has the better soundtrack. I will say Mudds has the best implementation of 3D, but considering it's more expensive than VVVVVV and MSF, and doesn't necessarily do anything better than them (and in many cases is bested), I find it hard to recommend it over the other two platformers. How it got the reputation of the best 3rd party game on eShop is beyond me (it's good and worth playing, no doubt, but there's simply nothing ultra spectacular about it).

Currently Playing:

Quiz RPG: Legend of Mystic Wiz (AND)
Popcork! (AND)
B.B. Bear Danmaku (AND)

AuthorMessage

spizzamarozzi

113. Posted:

I got it only yesterday and I'm glad I got it. It's true it isn't cheap at €10, but considering how many h2.30 games go for fiver or more, I think it's a very fair price. I've just passed the second town and have collected 4 hours of playtime so far. I'm a hack at tower defence games, but this is somehow accessible.
Can't compare it with VVVVVV or Mutant Mudds since we don't have them yet, but it's a solid release, and if this is going to be the standard for €10 games on eshop, it's very welcome.

spizzamarozzi

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

AuthorMessage

RetrogamerFan

114. Posted:

I only just started playing this over the weekend and after a little bit of confusion at the beginning I am really enjoying this now. I'm left-handed and got used to the controls very quickly. When i started I muddled though the first day with little idea of what i was doing. In combat all i worked out was a simple roll foward (similar to what it shows on the title screen), then i kept running back to the bottom of the screen and repeating. It wasn't until i completed the first day that you get the first proper tutorial on the range of moves and how to aim your attacks properly with the practice arena in the bar against the barrels, this made things a lot better, and much more fun! - not sure why they did not offer access to the tutorial straight off from the main menu (or could be my fault for not reading the manual properly). Cleared the first village and think this game will provide excellent value as i can see the game lasting a minimum of 8 hours+ just going though all ten villages, which you can proably increase quite a lot when going after the top star ratings and finding everything in the game, i think this will have plenty of replay value.

EDIT: My initial estimate of the time to get through the game seems very low. Just finished off the 3rd village and its already strating to get quite tough. I'm still making progress in the game, but finfing it difficult to get through all three days on the first run-thorugh - when you have the cash limit in place. Basically Dillon has to do nearly all the work because towers and weapons are so expensive while the spending cap is in place. Still thouroughly enjoying the game; Amamode is brilliant!

Edited on by RetrogamerFan

RetrogamerFan

AuthorMessage

KaiserGX

115. Posted:

I bought it recently too! Big fun but since I am a bit being on Eshop games I am playing other ones as well. Didn't like the Mutant Mudds Demo though.

Kachou on!

3DS Friend Code: 4296-4029-9396 | Nintendo Network ID: KaiserGX

AuthorMessage

CommanderAudio

116. Posted:

Is it a good game? Yes.
Is it worth the £9.60? No.

Fire is more fun with friends, kids!
Formerly known as PikminMonster
Choose Your Own Adventure!
3DS FC:4554-0106-9407
Let me know if you add me, but PLEASE DON'T send me spam in Swapnote/Letter Box, or M-Rated Status Messages or Swapnotes.

AuthorMessage

Magikarp3

117. Posted:

This game's early levels are lots of fun, but towards the 5th and 6th village they just start figuring out more and more ways to completely mess you up. I mean, after the motorgrocks and the springrocks and the magmagrocks, all of the game mechanics start becoming completely infuriating. Of course, you tend to feel like a boss having completed it!

(post game content will certainly take you another couple of hours to finish. Whether you will want to finish it though is questionable.)

http://backloggery.com/oiiopo

always thought I'd change to Gyarados after I turned 20 but hey, this is more fitting I guess. (also somebody registered under the original Magikarp name and I can't get back to it anymore orz)

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7233-0245

AuthorMessage

Birdman

118. Posted:

Ugh, I never worked up the ambition to finish this one after the 8th town or so, and now I want to start all over and beat all 10 towns while I have the time in my summer break. Guess I'll go do that now...

Exactly.
My Birdloggery

3DS Friend Code: 2105-8643-6062

AuthorMessage

IAmNotWill

119. Posted:

This game will make you rage.

Why can't Metroid crawl?
My Backloggery | Helpful Tips for Formatting Messages | NintendoLife Chat
Formerly WhoKnew, Its-Mii-Will
PSN ID: willfuture

3DS Friend Code: 0001-3392-4205 | Nintendo Network ID: willfuture

AuthorMessage

rayword45

120. Posted:

Got this game. Just beat the second village. It's a very unique title with the mixture of fighting and tower defense, but there are some definite flaws.

Firstly, the controls feel a bit awkward. The lack of button input (for menus at least) is completely bizarre, and I can only imagine the controls would be nightmarish for left-handed gamers.
Second, the difficulty curve smacks you in the face after the relatively tame first level. It's frustrating with such little time to get used to the game mechanics.
Third (and I suppose fourth), the design is somewhat flawed. As some reviewers stated, a timer would make much more sense, as the turn to nighttime is a bit unpredictable, and the map could have been improved.

Overall though, thus far it's a very enjoyable (but difficult) game with great graphics, a fitting soundtrack, and lots of depth. I'd definitely say a 7 is too low, a high 8 would be more acceptable at the moment. I preferred it over Mutant Mudds, Pushmo and Sakura Samurai.

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.