3DS eShop Forum

Topic: 3D Classics: Urban Champion Impressions

Showing 101 to 120 of 121

AuthorMessage

sam322

101. Posted:

so shall i buy marios picross and radar mission

If there is a broil between 3DS and PS VITA, then GO 3DS!!!
My e-mail: samhijjazi@yahoo.com
youtube aCCOUNT: Sams3dsReviews
3ds friend code:3523-2083-5529
3ds games: super street fighter 4, ghost recon shadow wars,resident evil the mercenaries 3D, Tetris Axis, SM3DL, FIFA 12, MK7

AuthorMessage

JeanLuc_Vaycard

102. Posted:

Urban Chumpion isn't even in the same league as Mario's Picross.

THERE... ARE... 4 LIGHTS!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiSn2JuDQSc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

AuthorMessage

cheetahman91

103. Posted:

Kainard wrote:

Urban Chumpion isn't even in the same league as Mario's Picross.

I know right, it's like a billion times better. :P

@sam322: Get Mario's Picross and stay far away from Urban Crap Champion.

Edited on by cheetahman91

Nintendolife Chatroom
Backloggery
GameSpot
Youtube
Jesus is the only way.
It's OK for someone to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.

Nintendo Network ID: cheetahman91

AuthorMessage

BulbasaurusRex

104. Posted:

Urban Chumpian isn't even in the same league as Radar Mission.

Ash: Professor Oak, how's your Bulbasaur?
Prof. Oak: Oh, it only hurts when I sit.
Prof. Oak: It's only Chansey if Krabby won't let go. Bye, now.
Ash: I don't think I'm going to call him anymore.

3DS Friend Code: 1547-5207-7912

AuthorMessage

Geonjaha

105. Posted:

Project-L wrote:

Have any of you check the Nintendo eShop lately?

That game is selling and the amount of satisfied owners are very high. Nintendo campaigning their own operation (Potfall) and it's a success. Now let's move on to my operation please, all Urban Champion haters welcome.

Yea...except the problem with the eShop review system is that in order to make a review you need to have bought the game - which most people who hate it wont do looking up the game. Thats not much of a problem, but people that actually buy the game, and hate it enough to quit before an hour of play time wont be able to submit a review. That means reviewers of the game must have wanted to buy it to get it in the first place, and failing that must have played it for an hour at least. Thats why nothing on the eShop has terribly low review scores.

You thought you had us tricked Nintendo - thank god people dont just check the eShop reviews :3

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage

MrArcade

106. Posted:

I wasnt sure if I'd get this at first, considering the review and all that, but I eventually did get it. I have no regrets, no, it might not have been quite worth the money as a single player game. But the fact that it has multiplayer and quicksave make it worth it for me. I find it quite addictive. If any of you have the game and watch gallery game for GBA, its like an advanced version of the modern boxing.

MrArcade

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

107. Posted:

I played a couple of minutes of it with the 3D effect maxed while experiencing the regular look and the new angle mode and the 3D seems to be hit and miss. For the regular angel, the Lamp street lights on each side of the screen always seem to double, but the 3D effect in between where all of the action is pretty cool. Although the cop car effect doesn't exactly pop towards the screen like i would of expected.

Playing it on the angle mode was cool as well, But i was expecting more depth and pop, just wasn't really there. Can't comment on the actual gameplay because i was just doing a quick little checky' regarding the 3D effect :p

Currently Playing: Mega Man V!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

108. Posted:

So what did you guys think of the 3D effect during both camera angles?

Edited on by WaveBoy

We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!

AuthorMessage

Karakato

109. Posted:

Both have cases of Ghosting effects, particularly on the street lights, but thats not really a problem for me. I play the game on max 3D and dynamic view on most of the time, yet I find the static camera to be easier in progressing the game. The 3D isn't really helpful but I keep it on since it makes the fights look like dioramas. Overall, I think Arika did an honorable job in attempting to make this game playable but it is still the same old archaic game. I still like it though.

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Deviant Art Profile
Tumblr Page
My Backlog

The Rest is Silence.

AuthorMessage

LittleIrves

110. Posted:

After all the hate this game has received over the years, I just had to check it out.... and I'm glad I did. Uber-simple but, somehow, strangely addictive. The first time I played it I kept going for another 40 or so minutes. I've only played a combined 3 or so hours, but still, that's more than most will play a downloadable game on many platforms.
Full disclosure: I was playing it for a review on another site. Check it out if you're curious - http://killscreendaily.com/articles/reviews/reset-urban-champion

Contributing writer at killscreendaily.com
Wii: 1134-6733-6423-3945
3DS: 4682-8453-5026

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

111. Posted:

Karakato_001 wrote:

Both have cases of Ghosting effects, particularly on the street lights, but thats not really a problem for me. I play the game on max 3D and dynamic view on most of the time, yet I find the static camera to be easier in progressing the game. The 3D isn't really helpful but I keep it on since it makes the fights look like dioramas. Overall, I think Arika did an honorable job in attempting to make this game playable but it is still the same old archaic game. I still like it though.

I find the 3D in the regular static mode to be a bit more impressive than in Dynamic, plus like you said progressing through the game is easier in Static, if anything Dynamic makes the blocking slightly more confusing and it doesn't feel quite as satisfying to play either. It's an alright 3D effect, especially when the Cops breeze swiftly down the street. :p But Static in my opinion impresses more.

And you know, i think a lot of people are being too bloody harsh on this game(Ooo, That's a shocker!)Sure there's Zero variety in the dudes you go toe to toe with, and sure it can all start to get repetitive maybe after the first 20 or so minutes....yet the same thing can be said about many NES/Arcade early bird titles am i right?

Anyways, I love the idea behind the game, punching enemies feels really satisfying along with dodging and blocking attacks. Then there's The grumpy maniac pot throwing people, The cops that come strolling down the streets every minute or so, and when somebody doesn't get their butt kicked off the side of the screen or sent flying down a sewer in time, there will be a shnazzy' little draw, where the person who got beat up the most is taken away in a quick swift fasion by the PO PO.lol

Anyways, UC just needed different characters to go up against. As in completely different sprites and the like with different move sets. Plus throwing in some weapons, be it a broken bottle, A trash Can lid, A baseball bat, a whip, 'anything'
that's related to the environment would of been awesome. :p And once again the 3D effect in static mode makes Urban Champion twice as fun as it really as. That's the magic of 3D I guess. B-) In 2D mode it's not quite as interesting, engaging or quite as fun(yes fun!) to play.

With that out of the way, I'd love to see an Urban Champion ReBirth....But we all know that will never happen in a billion bogus years. :p

Edited on by WaveBoy

AuthorMessage

Link79

112. Posted:

You guys are all in denial. The game sucks. Always has always will.
Now excuse me while a play a real fighting game. Hmm perhaps Soul Caliber 2 on my good old Gamecube with Link or maybe something more classic and not as prehistoric as Urban Champion.
Yes I think Street Fighter 2 turbo would do nicely.

3DS Friend code 4038-6006-7917
Wii Friend code 3553-5293-8702-0039
Smash Bros. Brawl 0001-3032-2653
Mario vs DK: Minis March Again 3310-6435-2823
Wii and 3DS ID Link

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

113. Posted:

Link79 wrote:

You guys are all in denial. The game sucks. Always has always will.
Now excuse me while a play a real fighting game. Hmm perhaps Soul Caliber 2 on my good old Gamecube with Link or maybe something more classic and not as prehistoric as Urban Champion.
Yes I think Street Fighter 2 turbo would do nicely.

Urban Champion was released in Japan back in 84' sure it may range from sucky to mediocre in this day and age but name one other good fighting game that was released during the time? The VS Mode in Double Dragon? No way. The original Street Fighter? Nope, that didn't pave the way until a few years later.

I went in going with an open mind regardless of all of the harsh criticism and it's nowhere near as bad as i expected it to be, for a super early 8-Bit arcade/NES title released in 84' JPN(86 for NA) i think it's hilarious. The game may be bare bones, but it's got this charm and great sense of humor about it. Fun to flick on for few minutes as a pick up and play, at least the 3DS version because of the unique and sweet 3D effect which raises the visual appeal and fun factor.

Here's a question, would you guys either play Urban Champion with a friend or Karate Champ(which also came out in 84') for the NES? :p I used to play Karate Champ here and there at a friends house and....No...Just no, I'll take Urban Champion any day of the week. lol

Edited on by WaveBoy

AuthorMessage

cheetahman91

114. Posted:

Waveboy's right. Back in the day there wasn't too much to choose from regarding fighting games so you didn't really have much of a choice. Plus it would've been something else back then. But nowadays if you want a good pre-Street Fighter II fighting game, just say "Screw Urban Champion and all the rest." and get International Karate Plus.

Nintendolife Chatroom
Backloggery
GameSpot
Youtube
Jesus is the only way.
It's OK for someone to have an opinion. This ain't the Soviet Union you know.

Nintendo Network ID: cheetahman91

AuthorMessage

Link79

115. Posted:

I didn't care much about fighting games until Street fighter 2 hit the scene.
I doubt anyone else did either. Urban champion was already dead and buried by the time the whole fighting craze started. anyone who is a big fighting game fan didn't get that way playing Urban champion.
It might be cool in a retro sort of way. It just wouldn't hold my interest for more than 10 minutes.
Even fresh off the shelf I doubt anyone was raving over this game.

3DS Friend code 4038-6006-7917
Wii Friend code 3553-5293-8702-0039
Smash Bros. Brawl 0001-3032-2653
Mario vs DK: Minis March Again 3310-6435-2823
Wii and 3DS ID Link

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

116. Posted:

Link79 wrote:

I didn't care much about fighting games until Street fighter 2 hit the scene.
I doubt anyone else did either. Urban champion was already dead and buried by the time the whole fighting craze started. anyone who is a big fighting game fan didn't get that way playing Urban champion.
It might be cool in a retro sort of way. It just wouldn't hold my interest for more than 10 minutes.
Even fresh off the shelf I doubt anyone was raving over this game.

Ya, it was Street Fighter II's Arcade release that turned the world upside down with the Fighting Genre. I don't even think the original did that well, it was II that rocked the Arcade rooms by storm. As far as popularity went, Mortal Kombat was the next big fighter and yadah yadah but we all know how that went. Virtua Fighter was also huge with it being the first 3D fighter which was like a needle in a Sprite Hay stack.. Playing that in the Arcades was defintily something else...It had such a completely different rythem to it.

Anyways, I played probably about an Hour of Urban Champion and i don't see the need to play it anymore unless i wan't to play it for kicks for a few minutes for a decent laugh. I'm glad i got it because i really dig the 3D effect and entire goofyness of it al. As far as 8-bit fighters go, you can do worse and I don't even think UC IS bad for an 8-bit fighter, besides there isn't much to chose from. I could see my friends and i having a laugh playing UC for maybe 15 minutes if that. :p

Anyways, in this day and agey' SSB Brawl owns all! B-) Throw in some Super Street Fighter II HD Remix(maybe IV) and the New Mortal Kombat(Still haven't played it, but it looks awesome!). And speaking of SCII for the Cube i still actually have my copy. :p Rapheal is the man! I've stabbed too many toes with that fencing sword. lol And i know this is derailing the topic, but that Soul Calibur IV demow as kind of lousy, talk about an iffy dissapointment.....2 just played and flowed better and manouvering around your oppenet and countering attacks just worked better.

Edited on by WaveBoy

AuthorMessage

LordTendoboy

117. Posted:

@WaveBoy

Have you played Pushmo yet? That is a very charming and adorable game, it's about pulling out colored blocks to reach the top of a puzzle.

3DS Friend Code (NEW) 4597-0176-3500
Minis March Again (NEW) 2323-0441-2739
Mini-Land Mayhem (NEW) 5071-8232-0670
Wii Friend Code 5519-8046-0668-6068
Smash Bros. Brawl 1893-2412-4594
PSN ID PS_man1984

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

118. Posted:

LordTendoboy wrote:

@WaveBoy

Have you played Pushmo yet? That is a very charming and adorable game, it's about pulling out colored blocks to reach the top of a puzzle.

Pushmo? Nope, I haven't heard of it. :p It's so easy to get overwhelemed by all of these 3DS games. I mean you have Retail 3D games, 3DS Ware, 3D Classics, DSware games(which i don't bother with) and the 3DS Virtual Console. :p
And speaking of the VC, i just downloaded Super Mario Land 2......Bland as hell brain dead stage design aside, the game always seems to put a smile on my face. :p I know I know, derailing the topic once again hehe.

AuthorMessage

Karakato

119. Posted:

WaveBoy wrote:

Pushmo? Nope, I haven't heard of it. :p It's so easy to get overwhelemed by all of these 3DS games. I mean you have Retail 3D games, 3DS Ware, 3D Classics, DSware games(which i don't bother with) and the 3DS Virtual Console. :p
And speaking of the VC, i just downloaded Super Mario Land 2......Bland as hell brain dead stage design aside, the game always seems to put a smile on my face. :p I know I know, derailing the topic once again hehe.

I'm quite surprised that you're not aware of Pushmo, the killer app of the 3DSware. I'd say if you're planning on buying another game on the eshop, try to consider getting these titles, Pushmo, Mighty Switch force, VVVVVV and Mutant Mudds.

Back on topic, has anyone actually won the 60th round? I always come close at the 58th, but no matter what I always lose to cheap shots. I've already logged around 7 hours in this title, so this is my most played 3d classic. Never knew that the worst game of the bunch would give me the maximum enjoyment.

Fancy a Karrot Cake?
Deviant Art Profile
Tumblr Page
My Backlog

The Rest is Silence.

AuthorMessage

WaveBoy

120. Posted:

@Karakato_001

I usually always skim over a lot of these WiiWare/3DSWare releases, considering most of them are junk to begin with unless something like a new Retro Rebirth title surfaces, although i gave LostWinds and World of Goo! a chance and ended up loving both of them. As for VVVVVV I'm not too pumped about snaging that one, Mighty Switch champs on the other hand is definitly a buy for me, solid reviews aside it was created by WayForward so that's usually an automic Win. B-)

As for Pushmo, I may ending up getting that one down the line. Anyways, I need to give these 3D Classics and the VC a break and actually play my copies of Super Mario 3D Land, StarFox 64 3D and Mario Kart 7 now that i have my new and properly working 3DS. :p

And 7 hours into UC? Dude, you are already an Urban Champino' in my eyes. :p