Forums

Topic: Question about Re-Downloading DSiWare games

Posts 1 to 19 of 19

WAIW

So I'm getting to the point where I'm low on blocks, which means I'm going to have to delete some games if I want to buy more. I know I can re-download them for free, but will I still have all of my progress/statistics/etc.?

WAIW

20thPaul

WAIW wrote:

So I'm getting to the point where I'm low on blocks, which means I'm going to have to delete some games if I want to buy more. I know I can re-download them for free, but will I still have all of my progress/statistics/etc.?

No, you'll have to store your games on an sd card if you want your progress saved.

I love rpgs and platformers the most... racing games are good too!
I have a black dsi and a blue 3DS. :D
"Sometimes we put up walls, not to keep people out, but rather to see who will take the time to break them down."
3DS friend code: 3695 0029 5257

WAIW

20thPaul wrote:

WAIW wrote:

No, you'll have to store your games on an sd card if you want your progress saved.

That stinks . I have a few SD cards lying around; can I move them from the DSi's system memory to the SD card directly?

WAIW

Starkiller

But you can't play them right off the SD card, which stinks.

Wii: 6384-4454-1095-5243 Mario Kart Wii: 2492-4524-4329 ([NL] Matt) Brawl: 0087-2097-5918
Excitebike - World Rally: 2966 0011 1622 (Matt) Bomberman Blitz: 3738-9648-1518 Dragon Quest Wars: 1634-4322-3201

WAIW

Okay, thanks for the help. I just realized the Web Browser takes up a whopping 94 blocks, so I'll get rid of that before using SD cards as storage.

WAIW

FATEM

Also here's something that I found. If you copy the games to your SD Card you can back-up your games to your computer in case you lose your SD Card. Just pop your SD Card into your PC, Go into Computer/SD_Card_Name/Private/DS/Title and copy the files with the extension .BIN. I haven't tried renaming them but if you write down the number of blocks each game is you can work out which game is which by looking at the file sizes before putting them into their own folder named as the game. Then if you lose an SD Card get another one and copy the .BIN files into Computer/SD_Card_Name/Private/DS/Title. If you make sure you regularly back them up you'll never have to replay an entire game or lose all your stats and high scores.

FATEM

Victoria

WAIW wrote:

Okay, thanks for the help. I just realized the Web Browser takes up a whopping 94 blocks, so I'll get rid of that before using SD cards as storage.

You don't use it? I use it all the time! Way more than I thought I would.

My Art Academy artwork can be viewed here: My Gallery

Odnetnin

FATEM wrote:

Also here's something that I found. If you copy the games to your SD Card you can back-up your games to your computer in case you lose your SD Card. Just pop your SD Card into your PC, Go into Computer/SD_Card_Name/Private/DS/Title and copy the files with the extension .BIN. I haven't tried renaming them but if you write down the number of blocks each game is you can work out which game is which by looking at the file sizes before putting them into their own folder named as the game. Then if you lose an SD Card get another one and copy the .BIN files into Computer/SD_Card_Name/Private/DS/Title. If you make sure you regularly back them up you'll never have to replay an entire game or lose all your stats and high scores.

That's awesome!

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter:

WAIW

FATEM wrote:

Thanks for the tip

WAIW

WAIW

Victoria wrote:

WAIW wrote:

You don't use it? I use it all the time! Way more than I thought I would.

Nah, I use my iPod for internet usage. The last time I used the DS' Opera Browser was the first time I used it

WAIW

Prochnow

FATEM wrote:

Also here's something that I found.

When you loose your SD card, you'll loose your DSi as well. And you can never use these games on another DSi, so a backup is quite useless.

Prochnow

Eel

Prochnow wrote:

FATEM wrote:

Also here's something that I found.

When you loose your SD card, you'll loose your DSi as well. And you can never use these games on another DSi, so a backup is quite useless.

yeah, because the SD cards get glued to the DSi after you use them.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

WAIW

Actually, Prochnow raises an interesting question. If you lose or break your DSi, will Nintendo let you re-download all of the games on a new DSi free of charge? That sort of worries me :/

WAIW

Eel

WAIW wrote:

Actually, Prochnow raises an interesting question. If you lose or break your DSi, will Nintendo let you re-download all of the games on a new DSi free of charge? That sort of worries me :/

i heard somewhere you could send them your new and old dsi and they would do their magic with your data, or something like that...

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

theblackdragon

@WAIW, abgar: If your DSi is in 'unplayable condition', Ninty will allow you to transfer all your DSiWare over to a new one if you contact customer service and explain the situation. as for just losing your DSi, I don't know... I doubt it, to be honest.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

Prochnow

I contacted Nintendo customer support about this a while ago. If you loose your DSi or if it get's stolen, it's gone, and you'r DSiWare is gone as well. If your DSi gets broken, there's hope. But when it's gone, it's gone.
I hate Nintendo for that, the DSi is a mobile device.

Prochnow

Langencamp

If DSiWare was tied to a user account instead of a device (which can get lost or stolen or, if it gets broken, having to go through hoops to get back content which is already paid for) and it was possible to download games directly to an SD card and play them from there instead of having to delete content from the device in order to get space for new content, I'd buy games from the DSiWare shop more frequently without having to think twice.

As it is now I feel Nintendo are being very greedy and immoral. Why screw your customers over like this? What's the incentive of having a Nintendo DSi with this poor disregard for customers other than feeding Nintendo with more money, what's in it for me? Let's hope Nintendo will do the right thing soon. Fair play, eh!

Edited on by Langencamp

Langencamp

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.