Forums

Topic: Petit Computer

Posts 9,041 to 9,060 of 9,620

Pixelrobin

hello. I'm back. Sorry I was gone so long (2 whole pages!).

So I was playing around with ramstrongs maze generator (again ) and I think I have a Temple Raid 2 in the works (or not we will see).

Everybody do a chirp. CHIRP.

3DS Friend Code: 3007-9228-5126

Espurr

Hey, when will Ramstrong be back? I have a few questions for him about the maze generator, like, How do I change wall, ceiling, and floor colors? And would it be possible to add more living things? And finally, what about having more than one type of wall?

Edited on by Espurr

"The heart has reasons the mind knows nothing of."-Blaise Pascal
Pokemon X Friend Code:3883-5184-5725
Safari: Grass
Pokemon: Pansage, Sawsbuck (Spring), Gogoat.

Slayer

I'll start working on Apocalypse Rising. I actually have the DayZ standalone now so I can compare features and add stuff. Hopefully not another work section where I sit there racking my brain trying to think of ideas. I'll actually work now. First I'll add new guns. I will put in the desert eagle, revolver and Mosin in the next update. First up is sprites. I'll work on that now.
Hansausage, how did you do the health text? I'm adjusting that code a little to add getting hurt and death eventually.
I'll also fix the bug that got there somehow where the game crashes after you kill the zombie. I tried it and it always happens.

Edited on by Slayer

I have nothing really to say about myself.

damolii

I think that the lure and awe of a programming tool on portable devices such as the DSi and 3DS is starting to wear off sadly :/

On a lighter note though, does anyone have any idea on text effects?? For instance, I have this method of making text appear next to one another, but it's rather tiresome:
?"H":WAIT 5: CLS: ?"HE":WAIT 5:CLS:?"HEL":WAIT 5:CLS:?"HELL":WAIT 5:CLS:?"HELLO"
As you can see it's really long... and "bulky", as it erases all the text on screen. Anyways, I thought of saving letters, and storing them as numbers or characters, then finding a way to load these characters whenever I please. However, the method I thought of applying those characters seemed rather counterproductive, as it required going through the same process mentioned above, just with characters. Does anyone have ideas on how to make this process more efficient, especially the part about erasing all the text on screen(it bothers me)? It's pretty exciting thinking about different ways. It could change the PTC text world forever!!! ^o^

Edited on by damolii

I don't have a 3DS so what do I put here? -Damolii

InsertPi

@damolii I have an engine that does that very efficiantly. I can have it out as a QR later today if you wish? I just have to change it a bit to further efficiant-ize it (by using DATA instead of a string).

If Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat were all destroyed, 90% of teens would go insane. If you're one of the 10% that would be laughing at them, copy & paste this into your signature and hope it happens.

3DS Friend Code: 2148-9259-0831 | Nintendo Network ID: IAmAPerson620 | Twitter:

damolii

IAmAPersson wrote:

@damolii I have an engine that does that very efficiantly. I can have it out as a QR later today if you wish? I just have to change it a bit to further efficiant-ize it (by using DATA instead of a string).

I would like the QR, although an explanation of how the engine works would be very nice too.

InsertPi

@damolii I can't have it today, sorry. Today was busy. But I'll explain how it works (the following code is untested). First, we set the text into a string.

TEXT$="Hi there!"

Now we enter a for loop, going to the length of TEXT$ minus one (programming counting starts at 0 and not 1)

FOR I=0 TO LEN(TEXT$)-1

Now we print that section of text (indicated by I)

?MID$(TEXT$,I,1); 'The semicolon keeps it from going to a new line

Then we can make a beep (like in RPGs)

BEEP X

Now we need to wait a bit before the next letter

WAIT 5

Now we close off the loop

NEXT

Once it's all done, go to the next line

?""

Tada! This code might work; I'm not sure. I wrote this from memory. I hope this helps!

Edited on by InsertPi

If Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat were all destroyed, 90% of teens would go insane. If you're one of the 10% that would be laughing at them, copy & paste this into your signature and hope it happens.

Pixelrobin

Ramstrong isn't coming back .
@Espurr he has a blog (simpletongeek.blogspot.com). Go ask him there. I'm sure that he will be happy to help.

InsertPi

@Bluerobin2 why isn't he returning? BLAME IT ON @LeviCelJir! Just kidding, but seriously, is it something we did?

LeviCelJir

I have been thinking about making a game like this for about a month and a half and I think it's time to start on it. I have been thinking of make a Mario and Luigi game. I have the story basically all planned out in my head so I'll tell you the basic gist of it. Basically it will be like dream team. You enter another world through Luigi. But not through dreams. Luigi will operate a computer that you will go into and basically its like the dream world without Luigi. But there will be these areas called Exploit Zones and while you are in them you can type in a command like /heal or /jump to heal you or make you jump higher for 30 seconds. I even have the final boss planned out. It will just be bowser... you know the normal fire, sucking in and punching. But after you defeat him a thing you are trying destroy the whole game called The Virus appears shocks you and enters bowser... you have 1 health ... but then something happens to Bowser. In the end you are fighting Bugged Bowser and he is green and has 101010101 all over his body. The Game will be called "Mario and Luigi Programming Nightmare"

Ideas? Comments? Motivation so I can make this?

Edited on by LeviCelJir

Hi I'm Levi and I like Bloopys :^)

Pixelrobin

@LeviCelJir first you should create a basic platformer system with some enemies and basic level stuff and then if it works, add the graphics. You will lose motivation fast if you do all the graphics, but you can't figure out how to do the game itself.

LeviCelJir

Bluerobin2 wrote:

@LeviCelJir first you should create a basic platformer system with some enemies and basic level stuff and then if it works, add the graphics. You will lose motivation fast if you do all the graphics, but you can't figure out how to do the game itself.

Hmmm K I'll try that thanks for the advice
also its not really level based... its an rpg...

Edited on by LeviCelJir

Hi I'm Levi and I like Bloopys :^)

Discostew

Bluerobin2 wrote:

I agree. Learn the programming portion first, using the pre-set graphics and audio just so you can get a feel for what you'll have to work with. The code is the brain of your game. Without the brain, you game will not function. You don't have to program the game fully before working on the graphics and audio, but you do need to understand what you can and can't do.

Discostew

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1477-0127 | Nintendo Network ID: Discostew

randomous

@Discostew Hey, if you have time, I was hoping you could help me with something (if you can't, don't worry about it).

I have some sound effects using the noise generator playing in the background (it's a rain sound). These sound effects are a sustained note held for 36 seconds before repeating again forever and ever. However, if there are too many other things using the noise generator at the same time, the background sound effect cuts out until it loops again. Of course, since each loop iteration is 36 seconds long, this could take a while. One solution is to make each loop iteration really short, but I've tried various ADSR packages and note length combinations, and you can still hear the shortest of halts between each loop iteration, which is really annoying. The other alternative is to just restart the background noise every time one of these "breaking" sound effects occur. This is currently how I'm doing it, but it's not really effective, as I'm discovering more and more instances where the background sound cuts out, and this solution doesn't work in all cases.

I was wondering if you had any input on the matter of keeping a sustained note of noise in the background which may be cut out at any point due to too much noise? Thanks.

randomous

Discostew

@randomous Unfortunately, I don't think there is any "direct" way of preventing a channel in a track from playing or resuming a channel in a track after getting overridden by another track. While I believe you can use multiples of the same instrument at the same time, the hardware is limited to 4 channels capable of playing pulse wave and 2 playing noise, since those are hardware-based, not coded as data like PCM. PTC handles how those get dealt with internally with no method on the outside for the BASIC programmer to manipulate them. The only thing I can think of is to make an audio wrapper that defines what can and what can't play.

For my project, I designate each SFX a priority number, and if the SFX track is playing nothing (BGMCHK) or if the one to be played has a greater priority than the one currently playing, then I play the SFX. Since I limit my project to one BGM and one SFX, and both are only capable of playing 2 pulse waves and one noise channel each, I avoid this cut-off problem. Maybe you can do something along those lines for this. Set a priority for each SFX, but also set a value for each, saying how many noise channels it uses. Also a global variable that says how many noise channels are currently in use. When you play an SFX, you check how many noise channels are currently in use. If the SFX's noise channel usage plus the global is greater than two, you can then check if the priority of this SFX is greater than any of the current SFXs being played that also use noise channels. Stop a currently played SFX in such a case and examine the noise channel usage again until you can play it without problem. You may also have to make a function that gets checked every game loop to see if any SFXs have ended, and reduce the overall noise channel count in those cases.

Not exactly a straight-forward approach, but it's the only one I can think up.

Discostew

randomous

@Discostew Bah, silly constraints lol. Oh well, I'll try to do something like that. It'll require a lot of code rewriting, but it's probably the best solution in this case. Thanks.

randomous

damolii

@IAmAPersson The text engine is amazing!! It's definitely more efficient than my previous method, thank you! But... I have so many questions XD!! 1: Could you explain what each line does? I could review what each command does, and apply that knowledge so this is not a big priority, but it would be nice. 2: Could this work with DATA? I'm thinking of the creation of a database (perhaps somehow stored as a variable?), which leads to my final question: How would I be able to use a database on this? Is it even possible? Sorry for so many questions, but I feel as if I'm not using this engine as effectively as it could be used. For instance, my only ideas so far on moving from one line to another are to change the main text variable over and over again, or to save one variable equal to the main variable, then checking if they're equal later on, and if they are, then changing the main variable and thus beginning the cycle again. However, these call for many lines of code that make it seem bulky and the changes are required in the main code. A database would really make me feel more at ease.. Thank you again! XD

EDIT: I just read your previous comment where you stated you wanted to "efficiant-ize" it so it is possible?
ALSO: An explanation is not necessary, seeing as you already gave one earlier I was just reading the code and not paying attention to the other text.

Edited on by damolii

randomous

@Discostew Now that I think about it, I actually can't do that. Some of the noise comes from the song, so either I'd have to just mute the noise sound effects entirely while a certain song is playing, or somehow know the exact parts where the noise is being generated.

Is there any way to make a noise-like sound using PCM? It doesn't need to be great, it just needs to sound sort of like rain. Could I use a whole pile of different PCM waves played sequentially to make it more like random noise?

Edited on by randomous

randomous

Discostew

randomous wrote:

@Discostew Now that I think about it, I actually can't do that. Some of the noise comes from the song, so either I'd have to just mute the noise sound effects entirely while a certain song is playing, or somehow know the exact parts where the noise is being generated.

Is there any way to make a noise-like sound using PCM? It doesn't need to be great, it just needs to sound sort of like rain. Could I use a whole pile of different PCM waves played sequentially to make it more like random noise?

Well, you wouldn't exactly be able to get PCM quality by stringing them together, as each "instrument" you make yourself is either a 64 or 128 character waveform string and timing for them would be practically impossible. Just to give an idea, the "noise" from the NES and GB-like audio hardware is actually made up of a pseudo-random bit generator, I believe with 32767 steps in it. Your best bet is to find a similar instrument like Moorpheel suggests

Discostew

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic