Forums

Topic: Petit Computer

Posts 821 to 840 of 9,620

swordx

I just got a great idea! I'm going to add the action button from Paper Mario for battles to Dungeon Adventure!!! This game is going to be great!

Edited on by swordx

swordx

Sprite

I'm trying to use the raycast thing to try to create a TF2 ripoff. Development slow.

I'm not saying let's kill all the stupid people, I'm just saying let's take off the warning labels, and see what happens.
Friend Code: 1075-1228-4183

swordx

Sprite wrote:

I'm trying to use the raycast thing to try to create a TF2 ripoff. Development slow.

I wouldn't reccomend trying to make a game off of Raycaster...Look at the FPS in that thing...

swordx

Sprite

It will be VERY rough and be slow but maybe I'l make it work...

I'm not saying let's kill all the stupid people, I'm just saying let's take off the warning labels, and see what happens.

swordx

Sprite wrote:

It will be VERY rough and be slow but maybe I'l make it work...

'

I hope it works out for you, but I just really don't think it will...

swordx

Sprite

I don't think it will work well but maybe it will with A LOT of work and time...

Edited on by Sprite

GrabSomeEyes

swordx wrote:

Sprite wrote:

I wouldn't reccomend trying to make a game off of Raycaster...Look at the FPS in that thing...

I still want to see the old Windows Maze. If that ever gets recreated, I'll be very happy.
Also, just gave me an idea on how screensavers might work on Petit Computer. Very unlikely I'm correct, but I think I just thought of a way.
Edit: Took me about 20 seconds to see the flaw in my idea. Ah well.

Edited on by GrabSomeEyes

Eos OS: http://conlogxl.forumotion.com/t12-eos-os-v10
3DS FC: 3695-0514-5044

Shadow1364

Posted Petit Chat on the QR thread!

FC: 1934-1622-0902

Dralien

I want to make a simple dungeon crawling RPG, but I don't know the first thing about BASIC. Only thing I know is how to play music, sounds, save, and load. Anyone please respond and help me.

What ever game you play I can play
Mario Kart DS FC: 502895521377

ramstrong

Dralien wrote:

I want to make a simple dungeon crawling RPG, but I don't know the first thing about BASIC. Only thing I know is how to play music, sounds, save, and load. Anyone please respond and help me.

That's a very hard question to answer because currently there is no resource to teach complete beginner to be fluent in Petit Computer/Smile Basic. There are various places where you can get the knowledge, but it is spread in many different places.

A good place to start is the SmileBoom tutorial, but it's currently in Japanese, with fan translation still in progress.

My Petit Computer Journal does start from beginning, but it's too brief to be a tutorial for complete beginner. You need to know how to program already.

The help file acts as reference manual, so it doesn't really teach. You have to experiment a lot.

Still, if you're stubborn you can do any of these:
1. Take a computer programming at school. This is a long and expensive route, but very high success ratio.
2. Get a good computer programming book at bookstore. Read and learn from it (I use this method). "Getting Started with Processing" by Casey Reas and Ben Fry is an excellent introduction to computer programming.
3. Read the help file and once per day, pick out a command and experiment with it. This is how my Petit Computer Journal comes into being.

The most important thing to learn in programming is variable assignment, tracking, and manipulation. So, if you can put down your RPG design on paper, especially in tabular form, then there's a good chance for it to be programmable. I'll have something like this in my journal, but I'm currently in crunch mode, gearing up for upcoming Nanowrimo, so I probably won't be too active until December.

Petit Computer Journal
Old site http://ramstrong.blogspot.com

Let's just call a spade, a spade.

3DS Friend Code: 1091-7596-4855

Dralien

ramstrong wrote:

Dralien wrote:

That's a very hard question to answer because currently there is no resource to teach complete beginner to be fluent in Petit Computer/Smile Basic. There are various places where you can get the knowledge, but it is spread in many different places.

A good place to start is the SmileBoom tutorial, but it's currently in Japanese, with fan translation still in progress.

My Petit Computer Journal does start from beginning, but it's too brief to be a tutorial for complete beginner. You need to know how to program already.

The help file acts as reference manual, so it doesn't really teach. You have to experiment a lot.

Still, if you're stubborn you can do any of these:
1. Take a computer programming at school. This is a long and expensive route, but very high success ratio.
2. Get a good computer programming book at bookstore. Read and learn from it (I use this method). "Getting Started with Processing" by Casey Reas and Ben Fry is an excellent introduction to computer programming.
3. Read the help file and once per day, pick out a command and experiment with it. This is how my Petit Computer Journal comes into being.

The most important thing to learn in programming is variable assignment, tracking, and manipulation. So, if you can put down your RPG design on paper, especially in tabular form, then there's a good chance for it to be programmable. I'll have something like this in my journal, but I'm currently in crunch mode, gearing up for upcoming Nanowrimo, so I probably won't be too active until December.

Alright I'll try the "first on paper" idea thnx. I'll post when I have some progress and screenshots

What ever game you play I can play
Mario Kart DS FC: 502895521377

ramstrong

Dralien wrote:

Alright I'll try the "first on paper" idea thnx. I'll post when I have some progress and screenshots

And the next step is to put it into spreadsheet. That's tabular form. Good luck! I'm looking forward to your game.

Petit Computer Journal
Old site http://ramstrong.blogspot.com

Let's just call a spade, a spade.

3DS Friend Code: 1091-7596-4855

Crazybrain1

Too bad I don't know BASIC programming...

Do you truly look at things positively? For example, do you look at the glass like it's always full? (Half water, half air.) Or when someone "lets the cat out of the bag," do you think it's because the person felt sorry for the cat stuck in the bag? There is a positive side to almost everythin...

GrabSomeEyes

Crazybrain1 wrote:

Too bad I don't know BASIC programming...

Time to learn then isn't it?

Eos OS is coming along... well... adding more things that shouldn't exactly be priority, however I am but a measly beginner, so as they say "whatever".

bloodofgore

It's sad how many people just don't even try to learn BASIC. It's extremely easy to learn. It took me a week to learn the basics. I'm starting to add touch screen controls to my OS on my second week. I have no idea if this would be considered slow progress, but at least I'm making progress.

bloodofgore

GrabSomeEyes

bloodofgore wrote:

It's sad how many people just don't even try to learn BASIC. It's extremely easy to learn. It took me a week to learn the basics. I'm starting to add touch screen controls to my OS on my second week. I have no idea if this would be considered slow progress, but at least I'm making progress.

I've added in two new menus to Eos, then took one back out since the first release. I've been doing other things, but it isn't exactly the fastest moving project here either. :I

Tingle

Morphtroid wrote:

Or let you play a gamble minigame.

Definitely the gamble minigame. Could you make it like the one in Sword of Hope II, the one that you find in the desert?

Edited on by Tingle

Tingle

Sprite

I sent out my 3DS. I hope it will get back soon

GrabSomeEyes

Sprite wrote:

I sent out my 3DS. I hope it will get back soon

Wishing you and your DS the best of luck.

Edit: Also, I made my first program in Visual Basic, so far I can only make message boxes appear, so I'll be sticking to SmileBASIC for a while...

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic