Forums

Topic: Petit Computer

Posts 6,101 to 6,120 of 9,620

ramstrong

Discostew wrote:

#1: Yep, the "blank" sprite trick that was mentioned.
#3: In such a case, it depends on the structure of each section/room/etc.

#1 OK. I missed the terminology. But for most games, the number of off-screen sprites that needs collision with wall should be one. Just the player. The rest can be activated with the on-screen one.
#2. Yes.
#3. Hmmm. Why not use the tile meta-data to pull the collision box data? Or is that what you meant? Suppose you need to collide with wall. With manual checking, you need to not only pull all the relevant data, but to check the range as well. I would think that SPHITRC is a convenient way to check collision boxes? Intersecting rectangles and all that? Or I may be missing something. Oh, well. I'd better do research on this thing. Thanks for the head up.

@Randomous. Thanks. I'll check it out later.

Edited on by ramstrong

Petit Computer Journal
Old site http://ramstrong.blogspot.com

Let's just call a spade, a spade.

3DS Friend Code: 1091-7596-4855

Discostew

ramstrong wrote:

Discostew wrote:

#1: Yep, the "blank" sprite trick that was mentioned.
#3: In such a case, it depends on the structure of each section/room/etc.

#1 OK. I missed the terminology. But for most games, the number of off-screen sprites that needs collision with wall should be one. Just the player. The rest can be activated with the on-screen one.
#2. Yes.
#3. Hmmm. Why not use the tile meta-data to pull the collision box data? Or is that what you meant? Suppose you need to collide with wall. With manual checking, you need to not only pull all the relevant data, but to check the range as well. I would think that SPHITRC is a convenient way to check collision boxes? Intersecting rectangles and all that? Or I may be missing something. Oh, well. I'd better do research on this thing. Thanks for the head up.

@Randomous. Thanks. I'll check it out later.

I guess I should give a different example by how I deal with collision. Recall games like Lemmings where they can react to individual pixels? Basically, the "tile-space" I'm referring to is representing each tile as a single element in a 2D array, much like how the collision areas are in Lemmings. So, each 16-16 pixel tile is a single pixel by comparison. Unlike Lemmings, however, these "tile-pixels" are 16x16 pixels big rather than 1x1 pixels, and by converting coordinates I need for collision checking to tile-space, I divide the coordinates by 16, making for a lot less checking for collision. Since accessing arrays forces flooring of values, I won't have to do that myself.

That is what I did with the first demo. The second demo made a lot of changes in terms of collision that increased efficiency, running off the same logic as I spoke of above, but doing it in a different way with a 1D array instead, and not having to convert the X coordinate to tile space with a nasty divide sign. It also improved my background updating method, so it was win-win for me.

Discostew

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1477-0127 | Nintendo Network ID: Discostew

ramstrong

Discostew wrote:

(snip)
That is what I did with the first demo. The second demo made a lot of changes in terms of collision that increased efficiency, running off the same logic as I spoke of above, but doing it in a different way with a 1D array instead, and not having to convert the X coordinate to tile space with a nasty divide sign. It also improved my background updating method, so it was win-win for me.

Yeah. Whatever works. I just realized that for grid based platform, snap-to-grid is better. And with random distance, a simple comparison is better than my previous algo, so never mind that. I was wrong. Just too tired now, I guess.

Petit Computer Journal

Pootrick2

@IAmAPerson can I join the MCDS team im a very good artist I can design the graphics if you want I could put a pic of some of my art

Edited on by Pootrick2

I LOVE petit computer AND anything Zelda/Minecraft related (i own all zelda games)

3DS FC=0919-9700-5328

3DS Friend Code: 0919-9700-5328 | Nintendo Network ID: Pootrick2 | Twitter:

Slayer

Discostew wrote:

randomous wrote:

@Discostew Hey, did you see my post about sprites being processed out of code order? I was wondering if you had any idea what it was: https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/dsiware/petit_computer?sta...

Edit: Oh sorry, everyone's bombarding you, aren't they?

First off, you did a wonderful job with Klondike. I'm rather impressed (and yes, I switched the card type to Megaman )

Lol, I bet. For some reason I had it at the triforce.
I stopped myself from an X port, btw. (I myself could hardly believe I could, I barely know this)
And as you talked of... somewhere, GBA? I hardly would think that the GBA has open source apps.

Edited on by Slayer

I have nothing really to say about myself.

Pootrick2

@morphtorok Untitled i see you
And your brother

Edited on by Pootrick2

I LOVE petit computer AND anything Zelda/Minecraft related (i own all zelda games)

3DS FC=0919-9700-5328

Pootrick2

Morphtorok wrote:

Don't kill us please

click for reaction image =.=

Every time you kill an octorok, a kitten dies.

Untitled
@Morphtorok Every time link gets killed by an octorok a bearded dragon dies (if you don't know what a bearded dragon is see my profile pic)

Edited on by Pootrick2

3DS FC=0919-9700-5328

GeekDude

Do we have an IRC channel?

GeekDude

InsertPi

GeekDude wrote:

Do we have an IRC channel?

I'm probably sounding like an idiot, but what does IRC mean?

If Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat were all destroyed, 90% of teens would go insane. If you're one of the 10% that would be laughing at them, copy & paste this into your signature and hope it happens.

3DS Friend Code: 2148-9259-0831 | Nintendo Network ID: IAmAPerson620 | Twitter:

iprice

Internet Relay Chat. It's a form of instant messaging in a forum type thing. Sort of.

I code, therefore I am.

Pootrick2

Does anyone want to help me make a port of Legend of Zelda for the NES ill give credit if you help

3DS FC=0919-9700-5328

InsertPi

Oh. Well, in that case, @GeekDude on the Petit Computer Wiki, there's a live chat there.

If Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat were all destroyed, 90% of teens would go insane. If you're one of the 10% that would be laughing at them, copy & paste this into your signature and hope it happens.

3DS Friend Code: 2148-9259-0831 | Nintendo Network ID: IAmAPerson620 | Twitter:

Pootrick2

@IAmAPerson can I join the MCDS team please

3DS FC=0919-9700-5328

boot

GeekDude wrote:

@IAmAPerson I looked at the wiki, but nobody was on the chat there

iv been on...

Just your average talking boot. FC: 0791-4881-1672 for Smash and Pokemon.

3DS Friend Code: 0791-4881-1672

iprice

Does anyone have a nice relaxing/soft sounding MML for a puzzle game I'm working on? It's nearly finished, but I need some nice music.

Untitled
WIP image.

I code, therefore I am.

ramstrong

Morphtorok wrote:

My advice of the day is: limit yourself to a single project.

... at a time. (instead of "of all time")
Please be specific. People may get the wrong idea.

Edited on by ramstrong

Petit Computer Journal

Pootrick2

Who wants to help me port Legend of Zelda for NES over to PTC

3DS FC=0919-9700-5328

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic