Forums

Topic: Petit Computer

Posts 4,761 to 4,780 of 9,620

Eel

I couldn't find a picture of an Octorok in a top hat

If I remember correctly randomous, swordx and another one or two of the currently active members have been here for quite a while too (second gen?).

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

randomous

@Morphtorok Lol 2nd gen... generations make it seem like the thread is just ridiculously old. I guess in terms of internet time, this thread is pretty old.

How's your game coming along, by the way? I showed it to my brothers and they're super excited!

randomous

Anonymous_Ninja

yeah, i guess it wouldn't be the same with an octorok.
gentletriod
gentlerok
just doesn't sound the same xD
that is true about randomnous and im pretty sure swordx has been here a while too, i could be wrong though.

nope, no signature here...
I lied, here's my friend code: 2406-5448-5608

Gimmemorecoinz

@randomous. where you been? I don't see you in the live chat very often now :3

Got a project? PM ME on here!
Youtube: lostkitty64x
Want help with coding? PM ME! PM ME PM ME!! XD
FC: WIll post later.
Systems I own: ds lite, 3DS, PC/gaming, steam platform. I play alot of games. Just ask ! Minecraft anyone? :D

Eel

@Randomous: It slowed down because a WiiU just came out of nowhere and sat in front of me last weekend... But I actually just added that thing where the game changes palettes to reflect the time of the day like in Village! It was a pain to have to write down all the RGB values of all these colors though.... Now just Imagine if I added seasons too!

I also added nicer loading screens that hide the map-drawing that happens when you generate the map or when you travel to another acre. So instead of watching the map glitch out and redraw itself, you just see the skeleton dancing (read:spinning) next to a "loading..." message.

I still need to program every decorative item in the game but that's just a matter of adding even more ifs and numbers to already existing subroutines. I also need to make more shop stock layouts to make sure every item is available at least once.

I think I'll release a demo when I'm done with that and before I start adding the save-loading functions.

.... By the way.... How good are you at composing classical or original themes? And... Are you taking requests right now?

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

randomous

@Gimmemorecoinz I've got stuff to do. You know... work, school, family, lounging around. I can't always be on the internet lol.

On a PTC related note, here are some of the songs I've made for the arcade in Village:

Untitled
This one is meant to be the title song for the arcade machine. From the title screen, you'll be able to pick the game you want to play, so you're not going to spend a lot of time here. This is why the song is so short... but I wanted it to draw you in and make you think of an arcade. Does it feel like an arcade?

Untitled
This is going to be the main song that plays during one of the games.

I wanted all of the arcade songs to only use "8-bit" sounds (PSG cycles and random noise generator) to give it a certain feel. Let me know if you don't like them or something, and feel free to use them if you want. I know they're simple... I'm just not a musician or anything. Just remember they're going in Village, and they're original songs, so it would be cool if you didn't claim them as your own.

Edited on by randomous

randomous

randomous

@Morphtorok I can try to make something... I mean, how do you want it to sound? It's not going to be anything spectacular... I'm no artist or anything.

As for the color change thing... you could have just used the same colors Village used and tweaked them to your liking. I would have paid no mind lol. EDIT: Actually, I'm interested to know how you have it implemented. I've noticed people do it differently with various effects. I place the colors on a "curve" with a color change intensity based on a number for each time of day. The curve makes brighter colors darken more, and darker colors darken less. This is in contrast with a linear change, in which colors are altered the same way, no matter the brightness.

The daunting task of adding new decorative items is one of the things I purposely worked towards making as easy as possible when I started making Village. I devised a system which made it so easy to add items, all I had to do was draw the sprite and come up with the attributes (solid/diggable/liftable/etc). Then Village would just take care of the rest for me. I really should get a move on adding more decorative junk to Village...

Edited on by randomous

randomous

Eel

@Randomous: I was thinking of having a theme song for Petit Forest, ya know, like for the title screen, maybe the credits or even main gamplay and yours in Village is awesome.

My favorite song of all time (and one I would love to use my game) is Frederic Chopin's Nocturne in e flat major op.9 no.2! It would just need to be a jumpier, video game-er version of it, since the song is actually mostly very quiet and calm... Too quiet and calm. Even a simpler version of it would be awesome, the song's main tune is simple for the most part, but there are some parts that seem complicated!

Anyway, if you could do it that would be awesome, but don't feel it's homework or anything! You're already in the credits anyway (your game is mostly what got me back into petit computer and I got many ideas from it too!)

About the color thing... Nothing too fancy, just three premade palettes saved in data form that are set depending on the time of the day. I handpicked the colors with CHRED, wrote them down in paper and wrote them back into the program.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

randomous

@Morphtorok That song is beautiful! I would feel dirty if I defiled it by changing it. If you want it, it's going to be as faithful as possible (without working myself into a trench... there's just too many dynamics to make it properly lol). Just out of curiosity, what did you want changed? I'm not sure how to make the song jumpier lol.

randomous

Eel

randomous wrote:

@Morphtorok That song is beautiful! I would feel dirty if I defiled it by changing it. If you want it, it's going to be as faithful as possible (without working myself into a trench... there's just too many dynamics to make it properly lol). Just out of curiosity, what did you want changed? I'm not sure how to make the song jumpier lol.

Haha! I mentioned jumpier since, even though the song is a thing of perfection, the build up of the song is pretty delicate and quiet. Most of the versions I have on my iPad are actually too quiet, enough to be inaudible without headphones. The "climax" takes its time to begin, and then it's over pretty soon.

While that would work perfectly for gameplay, I don't think it would be appreciable for a title screen. People would simply skip it. In my opinion, it would need to be shorter and more direct. If that makes sense. The "jumpier" part comes from adding other non-piano parts to compliment the main tune, like beats or something.

Then again, you're right... It is a hard song to try and reimagine! A "direct port" of the song would be just as awesome maybe even more awesome in the end!

Edit: do you have or have heard of a musical DSiWare game about a pink bird, Maestro-something? I can't remember the name of the game, but it has a very nice version of the song, it's bouncy without making it vulgar thanks to the strings and chimes they added. It's pretty good, you should hear it.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

randomous

@Morphtorok Well, would you look at that? Someone's gone and made it already... let me know if you like this version:

Untitled

It's rather flat dynamically, but it does give the song a more even feel, which may be good for a video game. It's pretty faithful to the song; you're not going to get much better than this without altering quite a lot of tempos and dynamics all over the place and making a mess of the mml.

Let me know what you think, even though I didn't make it lol.

Edit: Oh yeah, I've never heard of the game you mentioned.

Edited on by randomous

randomous

Gimmemorecoinz

@randomous I think it would be cool if you added NPCS to village! Do you plan on doing that at all at some point?
I bet if you got around to expanding village's map it'd be really great?
I'm taking a break from work on petit smash bros atm to try to understand how Discostew's map stuff works. There might be other ways to move the background and keep track of offsets while synchronizing them with sprite collisions.. but I would want to handle my collisions using world coordinates, not screen coordinates. I still haven't quite figured out how the AND operator works.. but I'm guessing it gets the difference between... two values?
5 AND 8 would be 3? If I'm not wrong. :3
But yeah I think if I learn that I could make larger maps. And use the method to maybe expand village sometime. :3 I'd probably have to break it apart in pieces and re make the whole thing! XD. Oh randomous have you ever though of adding a crafting system of sort to it? A simplistic one?

Systems I own: ds lite, 3DS, PC/gaming, steam platform. I play alot of games. Just ask ! Minecraft anyone? :D

randomous

@Gimmemorecoinz At this point, it'd be impossible to expand the map without redoing the entire save file and possibly quite a lot of the map system. Plus, 25 cells is quite large. For now (and probably forever), I'm going to keep the current map size. You don't need @Discostew's map system to expand the Village map; Village uses the same BG space for every cell. This is because the cell is stationary; since it's not moving, you don't need a fancy system or anything.

I'd like to add NPCs, but I'd like to finish the Arcade first. It's looking like I'm not going to have the arcade done for a long time (possibly months) due to work, so I hope you guys are happy with the game the way it is for a while. I'm sorry, I just can't keep working on Village right now.

AND is a bit-wise operator, so it works on the bits. It is not the difference. For instance, let's look at 5 and 8. In binary, 5 and 8 are 0101 and 1000 respectively. AND would produce another number whose binary representation would have 1's where both operands had 1's. In the case of 5 and 8, this would look like:

The answer is 0 because there are no bit positions that are 1's in both 5 and 8. Let's look at another example: 12 and 6:
12 == 1100
6 == 0110

Thus, 12 and 6 is 4, because there is a 1 in the bit position which represents the number 4.

Edited on by randomous

randomous

Gimmemorecoinz

@randomous thanks for the information. :3

Slayer

Morphtorok wrote:

@Randomous: It slowed down because a WiiU just came out of nowhere and sat in front of me last weekend... But I actually just added that thing where the game changes palettes to reflect the time of the day like in Village! It was a pain to have to write down all the RGB values of all these colors though.... Now just Imagine if I added seasons too!

I also added nicer loading screens that hide the map-drawing that happens when you generate the map or when you travel to another acre. So instead of watching the map glitch out and redraw itself, you just see the skeleton dancing (read:spinning) next to a "loading..." message.

I still need to program every decorative item in the game but that's just a matter of adding even more ifs and numbers to already existing subroutines. I also need to make more shop stock layouts to make sure every item is available at least once.

I think I'll release a demo when I'm done with that and before I start adding the save-loading functions.

.... By the way.... How good are you at composing classical or original themes? And... Are you taking requests right now?

I couldn't focus because my Wii has Megaman 4 on it... that's about it...

I have nothing really to say about myself.

Slayer

So today I might look at this AI. It might be tough...

Slayer

I almost forgot I haven't even made the animations yet. How exactly do I do that?

boot

can someone please tell me how to post a link?

Just your average talking boot. FC: 0791-4881-1672 for Smash and Pokemon.

3DS Friend Code: 0791-4881-1672

Eel

randomous wrote:

@Morphtorok Well, would you look at that? Someone's gone and made it already... let me know if you like this version:

Untitled

It's rather flat dynamically, but it does give the song a more even feel, which may be good for a video game. It's pretty faithful to the song; you're not going to get much better than this without altering quite a lot of tempos and dynamics all over the place and making a mess of the mml.

Let me know what you think, even though I didn't make it lol.

Edit: Oh yeah, I've never heard of the game you mentioned.

Oh well look at that! Thanks for finding it!

It's pretty faithful to the original.... Just a little faster (good) and they totally messed up that part (bad). I would just need to loop it before that part can play.

Who made it?

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

Hairmanban19

Whenever i hear that somebody is making a text game,i never get to play them! @IAmAPerson620 cancelled Person Text RPG,@KaizerD said he was making a choose your own adventure style text game but he hasn't posted here for a loooong time,some guy i don't remember the name of said he was making two text games that sounded fun but then he did the same thing that @KaizerD did! The only text game that i can look foward to is @Hale-Bopp's choose your own adventure style text game! But he probably won't be done with that in a long time.

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7615-5907

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic