Forums

Topic: Petit Computer

Posts 3,501 to 3,520 of 9,620

Gimmemorecoinz

Here's an update to the legend of zelda LTTP project I'm working on.
QR codes are here: http://imgur.com/mpl2W9y
People please let me know if the QR codes actually work. I scrapped them together quickly and chaotically and I'm not sure if I'm missing anything or not.

Got a project? PM ME on here!
Youtube: lostkitty64x
Want help with coding? PM ME! PM ME PM ME!! XD
FC: WIll post later.
Systems I own: ds lite, 3DS, PC/gaming, steam platform. I play alot of games. Just ask ! Minecraft anyone? :D

Pixelrobin

@NightmareXIV It wasn't that much money...

PTC is a GREAT way to learn programming. So its not exactly documented all the way... We are here to help. I (and many others) started like this; frustrated and regretful. But give it time. Ask questions, we are here for you, for all of us.

Besides, when you learn this way, you have no tests and no deadlines. Your only limit is your imagination. Think of the community as a teacher. A teacher willing to answer any question it can.

Besides, if you don't wanna program with it, get some of the thousands of free programs for it out there.

Everybody do a chirp. CHIRP.

3DS Friend Code: 3007-9228-5126

randomous

@NightmareXIV Yeah, you should download Village! Get it before the next update inevitably introduces a bunch of unseen bugs!

Edited on by randomous

randomous

bobliefeld

I've just got started with this and made a simple Snake clone. Having fun so far but I've found some odd things..

In snake you can't move backwards.. Ie if you're moving right you can't move left, etc so I tried to do something like:

if ((BUTTON() AND UP) AND DIRECTION!=DOWN) THEN DIRECTION = UP
if ((BUTTON() AND DOWN) AND DIRECTION!=UP) THEN DIRECTION = DOWN
if ((BUTTON() AND LEFT) AND DIRECTION!=LEFT) THEN DIRECTION = LEFT
if ((BUTTON() AND RIGHT) AND DIRECTION!=RIGHT) THEN DIRECTION = RIGHT

however that doesn't work? So I moved the current direction check to a separate IF like this:
if (5 AND ABS(DIRECTION - NEWDIRECTION)) THEN DIRECTION = NEWDIRECTION

Which should work I think?? UP(1) - DOWN(2) = 1.. 1 AND 5 = 1. LEFT(4) - RIGHT(8) = 4. 4 AND 5 = 4.
If I do:
if (ABS(DIRECTION - NEWDIRECTION)!=1) THEN DIRECTION = NEWDIRECTION
if (ABS(DIRECTION - NEWDIRECTION)!=4) THEN DIRECTION = NEWDIRECTION

It does work.. Is it a case of the IF statement requiring TRUE/FALSE rather than a number?

Also anyone know if you can count backwards in loops? For moving the snakes tail I'm doing something like:

FOR I=0 TO TAIL_LEN
TMP=TAIL_LEN-I : TAIL_X[TMP] = TAIL_X[TMP-1] : TAIL_Y[TMP] = TAIL_Y[TMP-1]
NEXT

counting backwards down from TAIL_LEN would be neater.

bobliefeld

bobliefeld

NightmareXIV wrote:

Augh I shouldn't have spent my money on this I wanted to use this to learn how to program, but the manual makes no sense.

Well there goes my future goal right out the window...
...along with money I could have used for a better programming teacher.

(If you think you can change my mind I'd like to see you try.)

Just start small, it's not too difficult to get started doing something in text mode. What are you stuck on?

bobliefeld

InsertPi

bobliefeld wrote:

I've just got started with this and made a simple Snake clone. Having fun so far but I've found some odd things..

In snake you can't move backwards.. Ie if you're moving right you can't move left, etc so I tried to do something like:

if ((BUTTON() AND UP) AND DIRECTION!=DOWN) THEN DIRECTION = UP
if ((BUTTON() AND DOWN) AND DIRECTION!=UP) THEN DIRECTION = DOWN
if ((BUTTON() AND LEFT) AND DIRECTION!=LEFT) THEN DIRECTION = LEFT
if ((BUTTON() AND RIGHT) AND DIRECTION!=RIGHT) THEN DIRECTION = RIGHT

however that doesn't work? So I moved the current direction check to a separate IF like this:
if (5 AND ABS(DIRECTION - NEWDIRECTION)) THEN DIRECTION = NEWDIRECTION

Which should work I think?? UP(1) - DOWN(2) = 1.. 1 AND 5 = 1. LEFT(4) - RIGHT(8) = 4. 4 AND 5 = 4.
If I do:
if (ABS(DIRECTION - NEWDIRECTION)!=1) THEN DIRECTION = NEWDIRECTION
if (ABS(DIRECTION - NEWDIRECTION)!=4) THEN DIRECTION = NEWDIRECTION

It does work.. Is it a case of the IF statement requiring TRUE/FALSE rather than a number?

Also anyone know if you can count backwards in loops? For moving the snakes tail I'm doing something like:

FOR I=0 TO TAIL_LEN
TMP=TAIL_LEN-I : TAIL_X[TMP] = TAIL_X[TMP-1] : TAIL_Y[TMP] = TAIL_Y[TMP-1]
NEXT

counting backwards down from TAIL_LEN would be neater.

What I'd do is something more like this:

B=BUTTON()
IF B AND 1 THEN IF DRCTN$!=DOWN THEN DRCTN$=UP

Repeated for all directions.

By the way - how do you use FOR and TO? I see it used often and I think "This must be a very important command! My life would be so much easier if I knew how to use it..."

If Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat were all destroyed, 90% of teens would go insane. If you're one of the 10% that would be laughing at them, copy & paste this into your signature and hope it happens.

3DS Friend Code: 2148-9259-0831 | Nintendo Network ID: IAmAPerson620 | Twitter:

InsertPi

Huge improvement for my minecraft bukkit chat simulator thing stuff nugget! Added bold text! You can now do stuff like &6&lText for orange, bold text! I will try to release the program soon (hopefully before school starts back)! A lot of people ask how this is possible. I will tell you - too many uses of the MID$ command. If you don't know what that is, it is used to inspect strings like this:

STRING$="Text"
SECTION$=MID$(STRING$,1,2)
'MID$(String being inspected, position in string, amount of
characters included from position)
PRINT SECTION$
'SECTION$ equals "ex"

The actual code I use is more like this:

CLEAR:ACLS
@S
COLOR 0
INPUT TXTI$
N=-1
@LOOP
N=N+1
IF N!=LEN(TXTI$) THEN PTXT$=MID$(TXTI$,N,1) ELSE GOTO @SKIP
IF PTXT$=="&" THEN GOSUB @COLOUR
PRINT PTXT$;
GOTO @LOOP
@COLOUR
CID=VAL(MID$(TXTI$,N+1,))
COLOR CID
N=N+2
PTXT$=MID$(TXTI$,N,1)
RETURN
@SKIP
PRINT "":GOTO @S

Edited on by InsertPi

If Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat were all destroyed, 90% of teens would go insane. If you're one of the 10% that would be laughing at them, copy & paste this into your signature and hope it happens.

Ralph

Why does CHRED never work for me? Even when I use PTC utilities to make the sprites it always gets messed up by the time I try to use them in my game.

Ralph

TexMurphy

@IAmAPerson620
The FOR loop is what the teachers call a counting loop. It repeats the code between FOR and NEXT for a given count. Typically you start with zero and increment one at a time to the maximum number you set. You can use any variable for the counter.
FOR I=0 TO 10
PRINT I
NEXT
It is good for reading data into arrays or repeating something a number of times. You can also go from a higher number to a lower number or increment in larger steps than one.
FOR I=10 TO 0 STEP -1
PRINT I
NEXT
The NEXT statement returns you to the FOR statement until the counter's number is up.

TexMurphy

InsertPi

TexMurphy wrote:

@IAmAPerson620
The FOR loop is what the teachers call a counting loop. It repeats the code between FOR and NEXT for a given count. Typically you start with zero and increment one at a time to the maximum number you set. You can use any variable for the counter.
FOR I=0 TO 10
PRINT I
NEXT
It is good for reading data into arrays or repeating something a number of times. You can also go from a higher number to a lower number or increment in larger steps than one.
FOR I=10 TO 0 STEP -1
PRINT I
NEXT
The NEXT statement returns you to the FOR statement until the counter's number is up.

Thanks! One more question - how do arrays work? (Sorry for all the questions) I've never actually drawn something in PTC. I always use symbols and LOCATE.

InsertPi

Whenever I see the SCRED program, I always imagine screwed program. xD

Slayer

swordx wrote:

slayer wrote:

For some reason I'm tempted to start a new simple project, so I did. This won't take long. So I'm thinking it's called Street War, and you are a little gang dude with a gun and you fight NPCs and it's just gonna be simple compared to DarkShift and Zelda and Super Smash Bros.
So I made a title BG with SCRED and I'm moving to the main title.

I've seen your posts on GAMEFAQS...How can one person make that many games? At this rate, you'll never finish ANY of them...

LOL, I have a surprisingly good memory,I remember what I did for my games once I load them up. I've seen people, and they focus on one project, they never work secondary. I'm simply different. I use not only computer memory, but MY memory, to my advantage on how many projects I can work.

I have nothing really to say about myself.

bobliefeld

arrays are variables with multiple parts

If you've got a game with a bunch of enemies on the screen without arrays you might do something like:
ENEMY_0_X = 0
ENEMY_0_Y = 0
ENEMY_1_X = 10
ENEMY_1_Y = 20
ENEMY_2_X = 34
ENEMY_2_Y = 12
...and so on.

With arrays you could do:
DIM ENEMY_X(200)
DIM ENEMY_Y(200)

now ENEMY_X & ENEMY_Y can hold the coordinates for 200 enemies.

When it's time to draw them or move them you can use a loop:

FOR I=0 TO NUMBER_OF_ENEMIES
DRAWSPRITE I, ENEMY_X[I], ENEMY_Y[I] <-- this wouldn't actually work but you get the idea.
NEXT

bobliefeld

Slayer

And I take breaks like people. But let's get down to business, shall we? Apocalypse Rising is my main game. I'll talk about that. So maps will be available once you select new game, I decided against random generation, as that possibility is low, maybe, since it's gonna be a ruined city. Now if I handled the sprites, the game's weapons would look bad. But I might improve a bit in sprite art, I did okay on Gladiators, but anyway, has anyone checked out DarkShift, a project that people are very interested in, or the Final Fantasy game, or even Super Smash Bros.? It's amazing what age of games people are making, and even look at the other posts, when we were making arcade style games! It's amazing how much we've done in progress.

Edited on by Slayer

swordx

slayer wrote:

swordx wrote:

slayer wrote:

For some reason I'm tempted to start a new simple project, so I did. This won't take long. So I'm thinking it's called Street War, and you are a little gang dude with a gun and you fight NPCs and it's just gonna be simple compared to DarkShift and Zelda and Super Smash Bros.
So I made a title BG with SCRED and I'm moving to the main title.

I've seen your posts on GAMEFAQS...How can one person make that many games? At this rate, you'll never finish ANY of them...

LOL, I have a surprisingly good memory,I remember what I did for my games once I load them up. I've seen people, and they focus on one project, they never work secondary. I'm simply different. I use not only computer memory, but MY memory, to my advantage on how many projects I can work.

I'm not questioning your memory...but...I don't think Terraria is even possible on PTC, and you want to do it while working on a fighting game, a top-down shooter, etc... That sounds impossible. O_O

swordx

Slayer

When most were waiting I was making programs on Visual Basic, and only a month or two later I got Petit Computer. I had it on my DSi XL for months, having no knowledge but the few bits and pieces of code I learned. It was too much at the time. About a year or two later, I made a big decision. I moved the Petit Computer file up next to the cartridge slot in the DSi menu, and I started programming a game. I needed help at times, but I came close. I needed a damage system and I was done. I never finished it.

swordx

slayer wrote:

And I take breaks like people. But let's get down to business, shall we? Apocalypse Rising is my main game. I'll talk about that. So maps will be available once you select new game, I decided against random generation, as that possibility is low, maybe, since it's gonna be a ruined city. Now if I handled the sprites, the game's weapons would look bad. But I might improve a bit in sprite art, I did okay on Gladiators, but anyway, has anyone checked out DarkShift, a project that people are very interested in, or the Final Fantasy game, or even Super Smash Bros.? It's amazing what age of games people are making, and even look at the other posts, when we were making arcade style games! It's amazing how much we've done in progress.

I've seen those. But it seems more...realistic. I'm sure some of your games will be finished, but Terraria...ehh...I hate to say it, but I'm doubtful about that one. (But let's not forget that I was also doubtful about Mega Man 2 until the demo)

swordx

Slayer

I have my doubts about that too. Someone just wanted me to make that and for some reason I just jumped to it. I don't think I'll do that one.

Slayer

Mega Man 2 can be finished. Definitely. But I'm not sure how one person (me) could make a game like Terraria, with loads of weapons, bosses ,enemies, NPCs, dungeons, randomly generated maps, it's a little much. I hope LeviCelJir doesn't get too disappointed.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic