Forums

Topic: Petit Computer

Posts 3,481 to 3,500 of 9,620

Hairmanban19

swordx wrote:

Hairmanban19 wrote:

ramstrong wrote:

Hairmanban19 wrote:

@Hale-Bopp @IAmAPerson620 @Bluerobin2 since you guys are the only ones that at least like my text adventure game a little bit,do you guys want me to still continue making the series? Cause if you guys don't,then i don't wanna bother making the rest of the series.

If you mean by text adventure, you mean your Tutorial thing, I like it fine. The only problem, other than extremely short length is that you're using WAIT too much. I keep pressing the button to try to go to the next page, and it doesn't work that way.

No,i'm talking about a text adventure series that i've been making,i have posted a part 1 and 2 so far. And the reason i used the WAIT command in my tutorial is because i don't know how to work the button type stuff,sorry.

If you wish to know how to use buttons, I shall tell you.

First, make a loop. Then, put in Vsync 1. Then, for what you're doing, you may want to use BTRIGG(). For A, it would look like this: IF BTRIGG()==16 THEN GOTO @

In the end, it would look like this:

@LOOP
IF BTRIGG()==16 THEN @LABLE
VSYNC 1
GOTO @LOOP

It's that simple.

If you don't have to, never use BUTTON(). It causes the music to glitch. In some cases you need it, but not always.

NOTE: You may want to use WAIT4 before entering the loop.

Thanks,i'll use this when i know enough BASIC to make an actually good text game unlike mine.

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7615-5907

ramstrong

Hairmanban19 wrote:

Thanks,i'll use this when i know enough BASIC to make an actually good text game unlike mine.

Or you can just use INPUT. Just because you're not using the variables, doesn't mean you can't use it.

Petit Computer Journal
Old site http://ramstrong.blogspot.com

Let's just call a spade, a spade.

3DS Friend Code: 1091-7596-4855

Slayer

I'm working hard making 2D fighting games, a multiplayer apocalypse game, and I might plan an RPG. I was always a fan of RPGs.

I have nothing really to say about myself.

swordx

slayer wrote:

I'm working hard making 2D fighting games, a multiplayer apocalypse game, and I might plan an RPG. I was always a fan of RPGs.

Real-time multiplayer is impossible...

swordx

Hairmanban19

@Ramstrong part 1 of my text game is on page 62 on the QR code sharing forum.

Gimmemorecoinz

I tried the SCRED program.

Instead of appearing like in my image... the tiles appear as lines like green, white, green white..

and some of the details are missing.
additionally.. some of the tiles are actually missing colors.
Can someone help me figure out what's going on? like the darn link sprite issue I had I can only assume that ptc utilities isn't properly exporting my tileset!

Got a project? PM ME on here!
Youtube: lostkitty64x
Want help with coding? PM ME! PM ME PM ME!! XD
FC: WIll post later.
Systems I own: ds lite, 3DS, PC/gaming, steam platform. I play alot of games. Just ask ! Minecraft anyone? :D

Gimmemorecoinz

Okay I have some information that may help some people out who were having the same issues as me in petit computer.
IF YOU export the default tilesets as PNG(Index) and then save them. Then edit them and paste your own tiles in that don't match the pallete you'll run into problems.
First problem: My grass tiles didn't show the shaded grass.
Second problem: Color loss. For some reason when you select 'dithering' or when you do not, as long as you are importing a PNG(index) that was originally exported, then edited in paint and saved. You get issues. UNLESS your tiles use the same pallete.

Using the feature "Import and make pallete" isn't 100% reliable. Your BG tiles may change or get messed up.
So the best approach?
Export as "PNG(Indexed)" Then paste your custom tiles in. Then save it. Then Save-AS. Save it as a 24-bit BMP.
Go to Petit Utilities use new chr editor. Use the import feature, select the BMP version. Make sure you also select DITHERING if you have alot of colors. You might still lose some colors if your tiles have more than just 16 colors. Having alot of color seems to mess up the pallete or the tiles lose parts.
Okay. So that said.. I got it to work for me here's the before and after:

http://imgur.com/WdZziZv

What i'm really upset about right now is that I was expecting ptc utilities to be able to import tiles of this quality!!
I had no issue with preserving the quality of sprites. :/ Uhm and yeah I haven't tested making an area with this yet but I'm pretty sure
that it'll work. The tiles just look like crap compared to the original.
The issue I was having before I think specifically relates to how ptcutilities exports tilesets and NOT related to trying to use BGput to place tiles.
In case anyone was curious.. this was what I was trying to get help with specicfically.. though I still find it mysterious that petit computer refused to draw ANY tiles from the original formatted tileset I made (and posted about in the original issue post) o.0
It bugs me that Petit computer wasn't rendering the tiles when I exported them.. but you can see for yourself. :3 There's a post on page 175 I think it is. About it. With QR codes.

Systems I own: ds lite, 3DS, PC/gaming, steam platform. I play alot of games. Just ask ! Minecraft anyone? :D

damolii

@Hairmanban19 You tried my demo yet?? XD

@IAmAPerson620 I was just about to write the code for my load function when I thought, "Let me try it out to see if it actually works". So I got some exp and save at level 8. I loaded the game and I was lvl 250. The next time I was back at lvl 1. And both times, I had the starter HP. Needless to say, I wasn't a happy camper. Do you still want it??? In my opinion, it's not worth it. I don't think you're making a RPG so it wouldn't be good for you. But it's up to you

I don't have a 3DS so what do I put here? -Damolii

Hairmanban19

damolii wrote:

@IAmAPerson620 I was just about to write the code for my load function when I thought, "Let me try it out to see if it actually works". So I got some exp and save at level 8. I loaded the game and I was lvl 250. The next time I was back at lvl 1. And both times, I had the starter HP. Needless to say, I wasn't a happy camper. Do you still want it??? In my opinion, it's not worth it. I don't think you're making a RPG so it wouldn't be good for you. But it's up to you

Yeah,i think it'll turn out to be a great RPG.

InsertPi

damolii wrote:

I'm working on an RPG, but if you cant get it to work, don't worry about it.

Edited on by InsertPi

If Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat were all destroyed, 90% of teens would go insane. If you're one of the 10% that would be laughing at them, copy & paste this into your signature and hope it happens.

3DS Friend Code: 2148-9259-0831 | Nintendo Network ID: IAmAPerson620 | Twitter:

Slayer

swordx wrote:

slayer wrote:

Real-time multiplayer is impossible...

Well, GameFAQs news flash, Super Smash Bros. Waffle did it. Multiplayer altogether can be done.

Gimmemorecoinz

I finally got the BG tiles to work. Why didn't someone tell me that the colors in each tileset are actually VERY limited? >.<
My zelda demo is coming along now. Later I'll post an update with updated QR codes!

Well. someone in their tutorial post a long time ago messed up and I read it and it said: use load "scr1:background1"
it's actually load "SCU0:background0"
Anyways. I've got this working and i'm so excited.
I could have had something like this working MONTHS ago on my computer if I was using something other than Petit Computer BUT there's
a certain appeal of having it work on my 3DS

At this time the plan now is to figure out how many dungeon tiles and other tiles I can cram into one tileset without messing up the pallete and how
I'm going to do my item menus. There are alot of tiles and sprites that can't be loaded all in one bang and kept in memory.
I might try to use some kind of compression and compress the data into arrays for certain tiles but I feel like that might just be a mess.
I might create a method instead that allows me to quickly and easily switch between graphical resources that are needed in memory on the fly.
I'm pretty sure that for now I can get away with constructing a mini-dungeon with a few sprites and tiles that utilizes just a few bg sets and a few sprite sets with the same palletes or similiar palletes. It might not be too hard if I store the pallete for multiple types of tiles in one pallete.
:3 We'll have to see I guess.
I have alot of colors to work with though so I think the graphical quality of the original LTTP game can be preserved here.

At this time if anybody wants to help with the project now is the time to join in helping. Just post here let me know or private message me on the forum.
It would be cool if we had more than one person helping on the project.

Edited on by Gimmemorecoinz

NightmareXIV

Should I download this.

Earlier release petiton

https://www.change.org/petitions/nintendo-release-popular-games-in-america-sooner#share

3DS Friend Code: 1134-7192-3429 | Nintendo Network ID: NightmareXIV

Slayer

Zelda? Cool. Always preferred the sprite style games unless it was Ocarina of Time or something. On to business. I have experience, and I am currently developing Apocalypse Rising, a zombie survival game with guns, ruined cities, and lots of stuff. People like it back on GameFAQs, and I can't wait until I have it done either. So title screens, I need cursor and what happens when you press A on it, I'm getting on that soon. I've been working on getting Gladiators' problem worked out. I was making my first game, a fighter, when it started crashing when it starts. Maybe my code is messed up, causing it to do this, I don't know. I just want it fixed. I'll get on this too. Posting results a bit later.

Slayer

And yes, if you know some BASIC, I do, when I got this I learned it was more basic, so I couldn't do some things. Even if you don't have days of playing with Visual BASIC on Windows XP, you could still learn everything and be proud of your progress later.

swordx

NightmareXIV wrote:

Should I download this.

Definitely. Even if you never learn how to program, you can still play the amazing games that people make. I've used the app for over 200 hours, and it's STILL fun!

swordx

Slayer

For some reason I'm tempted to start a new simple project, so I did. This won't take long. So I'm thinking it's called Street War, and you are a little gang dude with a gun and you fight NPCs and it's just gonna be simple compared to DarkShift and Zelda and Super Smash Bros.
So I made a title BG with SCRED and I'm moving to the main title.

Gimmemorecoinz

Legend of zelda for Petit Computer LTTP Update: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ027WrCxkw&feature=youtu.be
That should work.
Check the video, no QR codes yet because I have to export everything one thing at a time manually all over again.
:3 Be patient I'll post the QR codes in the comment of the video. They should work this time. sorry for them not working last time.

swordx

slayer wrote:

For some reason I'm tempted to start a new simple project, so I did. This won't take long. So I'm thinking it's called Street War, and you are a little gang dude with a gun and you fight NPCs and it's just gonna be simple compared to DarkShift and Zelda and Super Smash Bros.
So I made a title BG with SCRED and I'm moving to the main title.

I've seen your posts on GAMEFAQS...How can one person make that many games? At this rate, you'll never finish ANY of them...

swordx

NightmareXIV

Augh I shouldn't have spent my money on this I wanted to use this to learn how to program, but the manual makes no sense.

Well there goes my future goal right out the window...
...along with money I could have used for a better programming teacher.

(If you think you can change my mind I'd like to see you try.)

Edited on by NightmareXIV

Earlier release petiton

https://www.change.org/petitions/nintendo-release-popular-games-in-america-sooner#share

3DS Friend Code: 1134-7192-3429 | Nintendo Network ID: NightmareXIV

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic