Forums

Topic: Petit Computer

Posts 3,281 to 3,300 of 9,620

damolii

Almost done with the bare bones of my rpg, but I'm missing one very crucial thing. Collision detection. I've tried SPHIT, but the sprite just keeps going through the other. I would like to release my unfinished game after I've finished the collision, because so far, after all I have seen, I am the only one that combines most of an RPG's stereotypical functions (so far XD). I hope someone can help me. It would be appreciated

I don't have a 3DS so what do I put here? -Damolii

swordx

damolii wrote:

Almost done with the bare bones of my rpg, but I'm missing one very crucial thing. Collision detection. I've tried SPHIT, but the sprite just keeps going through the other. I would like to release my unfinished game after I've finished the collision, because so far, after all I have seen, I am the only one that combines most of an RPG's stereotypical functions (so far XD). I hope someone can help me. It would be appreciated

If SPHITSP(your sprite, other sprite)==TRUE THEN

That's how you use it

swordx

Hairmanban19

swordx wrote:

I'll have Dungeon Adventure's QR codes up soon. I now have a smartphone, so uploading videos to Youtube SHOULD work for me. I hope you enjoy the game. Also, if areas past the ninth floor have bugs, PLEASE tell me. I...uh...sorta didn't test those parts. There's no save feature, so it takes a while to get that far...sorry. Also, I don't remember if I tested the character Zannaroth, or his quests. Tell me if he works when I release the game.

After such a long wait,i can't believe i am going to get to play it!!!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7615-5907

swordx

hairmanban19 wrote:

swordx wrote:

I'll have Dungeon Adventure's QR codes up soon. I now have a smartphone, so uploading videos to Youtube SHOULD work for me. I hope you enjoy the game. Also, if areas past the ninth floor have bugs, PLEASE tell me. I...uh...sorta didn't test those parts. There's no save feature, so it takes a while to get that far...sorry. Also, I don't remember if I tested the character Zannaroth, or his quests. Tell me if he works when I release the game.

I'm glad you're excited! I'm sorry I left everyone in the dark for so long. I've been catching up on A LOT of games this Summer. When I release the video containing the QR codes, please like and subscribe my channel. I'll be releasing more videos on other projects, including my Zelda-like game which has a dungeon finished.

I might try to work on uploading it tonight...SOOOOOO many QR codes! D:

swordx

InsertPi

randomous wrote:

@twinArmageddons You're welcome! There're actually many ways of accomplishing that. I actually prefer doing it a different way, even though it's just the slightest bit slower to process. Instead of:

SPSET 0,0,0,0,0,1
@GAMELOOP
B=BUTTON()
IF B AND 1 THEN Y=Y-1
IF B AND 2 THEN Y=Y+1
IF B AND 4 THEN X=X-1
IF B AND 8 THEN X=X+1
SPOFS 0, X, Y
VSYNC 1
GOTO @GAMELOOP

I do this:

SPSET 0,0,0,0,0,1
@GAMELOOP
B=BUTTON()
Y=Y+((B AND 2)==2)-((B AND 1)==1)
X=X+((B AND 8)==8)-((B AND 4)==4)
SPOFS 0, X, Y
VSYNC 1
GOTO @GAMELOOP

Why do I like that better? I don't know, I like equations more than if statements in BASIC (because the formatting for IF statements is just plain dumb). Also, this saves a few lines, which is important when I'm doing it 80 billion times in Village. Shoot, there I go promoting my programs again.

In Village, to eliminate the repetitive coding, why don't you just use subroutines?

If Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat were all destroyed, 90% of teens would go insane. If you're one of the 10% that would be laughing at them, copy & paste this into your signature and hope it happens.

3DS Friend Code: 2148-9259-0831 | Nintendo Network ID: IAmAPerson620 | Twitter:

Hairmanban19

swordx wrote:

hairmanban19 wrote:

swordx wrote:

I'm glad you're excited! I'm sorry I left everyone in the dark for so long. I've been catching up on A LOT of games this Summer. When I release the video containing the QR codes, please like and subscribe my channel. I'll be releasing more videos on other projects, including my Zelda-like game which has a dungeon finished.

I might try to work on uploading it tonight...SOOOOOO many QR codes! D:

Its ok,its always good for me to be patient. And now i can't wait for your Zelda game! )

randomous

@IAmAPerson620 Of course, everything is a subroutine. Just take a look at the code: every long line that goes across the screen either represents the beginning of a "function" or an important section. But there are some things that just don't do well in functions, in my opinion. For instance, all the menus call a menu function so that I don't have to write special code for each and every one. I just pass the items that I want to list out in the menu, set which item should be selected (if any) when the user presses "B", then fire away! The function then sets which item was selected, and now I can do stuff with it. However, I couldn't use that same function on something like the bag. The bag has special features that a menu just doesn't have, and I'd have to set a flag telling the function to enable or disable those features. At that point, I might as well just stick the bag in it's own function.

Anyways, you're absolutely right. You should always try to fit things into functions rather than repeat code, but you should also remember modularity and clarity. If you've got functions that do too many things, then it's harder to get those functions to work in different situations. If you've got too many functions all doing similar things, it gets confusing.

randomous

swordx

Dungeon Adventure WILL be up tomorrow. I uploaded some of the sprites to confirm my new method of uploading QR codes works.

swordx

Pixelrobin

I will post a video on the progress of BattleWood soon today. Yup, Its gone a looooonngg way since the demo; though I re-wrote the engine (again) for the 5th time.

Everybody do a chirp. CHIRP.

3DS Friend Code: 3007-9228-5126

InsertPi

New record for most compact, glitch-free ball moving program?

CLS:CLEAR

X=1:Y=1

LOCATE X,Y:PRINT "•"

@L

Y=Y-(BUTTON() AND 1)+((BUTTON() AND 2)/2):X=X-((BUTTON() AND 4)/4)+((BUTTON() AND 8)/8)

IF X>30 THEN X=30 ELSE IF X<1 THEN X=1

IF Y>22 THEN Y=22 ELSE IF Y<1 THEN Y=1

LOCATE X,Y:PRINT "•":IF B>0 THEN WAIT 4:CLS

GOTO @L

Only 9 lines!

Edited on by InsertPi

If Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat were all destroyed, 90% of teens would go insane. If you're one of the 10% that would be laughing at them, copy & paste this into your signature and hope it happens.

randomous

I'm sorry @TexMurphy, I never answered you animation question, did I? What @Bluerobin2 mentioned is right (sort of), one of the ways to do it is to keep track of when the sprite is animated, and if so, don't animate it currently. There are many ways to do this of course, and the solutions change depending on how you want the thing to move. For instance, does it move based on a grid, or can it move freely?

randomous

ramstrong

IAmAPerson620 wrote:

@L

Y=Y-(BUTTON() AND 1)+((BUTTON() AND 2)/2):X=X-((BUTTON() AND 4)/4)+((BUTTON() AND 8)/8)

GOTO @L

Only 9 lines!

Need B=BUTTON(0). It'll be more compact with modular arithmetic 0-30-> X=X%31. Nice try, though.
Can you use SGN()?
X=(X+SGN((B AND 8)-(B AND 4)))%31

Please try it, and let me know how it goes.

Petit Computer Journal
Old site http://ramstrong.blogspot.com

Let's just call a spade, a spade.

3DS Friend Code: 1091-7596-4855

randomous

@IAmAPerson620 I don't like rebuttals, but:

ACLS:CLEAR:X=1:Y=1
@L
B=BUTTON()
Y=Y+((B AND 2)/2)x(Y<22)-(B AND 1)x(Y>0):X=X+((B AND 8)/8)x(X<30)-((B AND 4)/4)x(X>0)
LOCATE X,Y:?".":IF B AND 15 THEN VSYNC 4:CLS
GOTO @L

Replace x with multiplication (ARGH, why can't I use asterisks Nintendo Life???)

@ramstrong but modulus changes the behavior of the program. The original program stopped the ball when it reached the edge, yours will loop back to the other side.

Edited on by randomous

randomous

swordx

I've been uploading QR codes for Dungeon Adventure onto my Youtube channel. Not all QR codes have been uploaded yet. My username is ssworddx.

swordx

Pixelrobin

IAmAPerson620 wrote:

@L

GOTO @L

Only 9 lines!

I never do that because of lack of simplicity. I would much rather assign different button combos to their appropriate functions. This allows easy acces to all directions.

ramstrong

randomous wrote:

@ramstrong but modulus changes the behavior of the program. The original program stopped the ball when it reached the edge, yours will loop back to the other side.

Well, obviously the original has a glitch that it does not wrap the ball around when it reaches the edge.

I do wish there is a tag that would leave all the code intact. There'd be no more @LOOP notification. Something like (code) (/code) maybe? Replace parenthesis with square brackets.

Petit Computer Journal
Old site http://ramstrong.blogspot.com

Let's just call a spade, a spade.

3DS Friend Code: 1091-7596-4855

InsertPi

@randomous @ramstrong thx for helping me make it even more compact. This was my first attempt at doing this, and compared to you guys, I am a complete noob at basic. :/

InsertPi

ramstrong wrote:

randomous wrote:

Well, obviously the original has a glitch that it does not wrap the ball around when it reaches the edge.

I do wish there is a tag that would leave all the code intact. There'd be no more @LOOP notification. Something like (code) (/code) maybe? Replace parenthesis with square brackets.

The <action> and </action> tags are specific to HTML coding. It wouldn't make much sense to use them in an entirely different language.

Pixelrobin

About the video... I took it and everything and then my video editing software decided to be a teen behind the wheel. (See what I did thete )
So maybe not today... But its coming...

I also discovered that you can notably increase fps if you set PNLTYPE to "OFF".

Hairmanban19

swordx wrote:

I've been uploading QR codes for Dungeon Adventure onto my Youtube channel. Not all QR codes have been uploaded yet. My username is ssworddx.

I was able to scan the QR codes for sprites 1 and 2 but on the video for the third sprites you went by the first QR code too quick and i wasn't able to scan it. But your sprites are awesome.Also i liked and subscribed your videos.

Edited on by Hairmanban19

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic