DSiWare Forum

Topic: Petit Computer

Showing 3,221 to 3,240 of 9,437

AuthorMessage

Hairmanban19

3,221. Posted:

I posted part 2 of The Land of Trinia on the QR code forum!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7615-5907

AuthorMessage

Discostew

3,222. Posted:

KaiserD wrote:

if it is like doom it might be entirely possible to bring it to PTC, i remember having a homebrew Doom game on my flashcard for my DSi, it wouldnt be a stretch to make it for PTC.

Also, remember, PTC is based off of DSi technology capabilities, not 3DS

on another note, I made new songs for my game :3

Sad as it is, I agree that something like Doom is unlikely on PTC. We've seen raycasting programs, but they unfortunately run really slow. That's likely because of how slow access to the graphic layers are for reading/writing, not to mention running interpreted code is slow as well, neither which are a problem on DSi having direct access to hardware and code compiled for the system.

"What fun is there in making sense?"
Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project

Pokemon 3DS Friend Safari - Ice - Spheal, Sneasel, Lapras

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1477-0127 | Nintendo Network ID: Discostew

AuthorMessage

Bluerobin2

3,223. Posted:

@Soultic the main reason your questions aren't being answered is because you go big. You ask us how we would go with large chunks of code and in other words, we are making some of the game/program for you. That isn't always a bad thing, but try starting smaller. Like the guy who asked how to print stuff on the bottom screen. Another reason is that it is not the job of the people of this thread to answer every question and not everyone knows everything about Petit Computer. Most of the time, the people on this thread look over to answer some quick questions because of lack of time. Even if then you do not get your questions answered, look at earlier posts. Someone could have already asked it. Or check out the tutorial thread. Then look at the included quide with Petit Computer. Look in the code of other games. Or just try to figure it out yourself. There is nothing wrong with discovery. I started like you, with no SmileBASIC knoledge whatsoever, so I know how you feel. Tons of my questions got turned down too. Just don't get angry with it. Try another route or wait.

On the other hand, If you would kindly re-post your questions, I shall try to answer the ones I can.

Everybody do a chirp. CHIRP.

Blog: bluerobin2.blogspot.com
Backloggery: backloggery.com/bluerobin2

3DS Friend Code: 3007-9228-5126

AuthorMessage

ramstrong

3,224. Posted:

Bluerobin2 wrote:

@Soultic the main reason your questions aren't being answered is because you go big. You ask us how we would go with large chunks of code and in other words, we are making some of the game/program for you. That isn't always a bad thing, but try starting smaller. Like the guy who asked how to print stuff on the bottom screen. Another reason is that it is not the job of the people of this thread to answer every question and not everyone knows everything about Petit Computer. Most of the time, the people on this thread look over to answer some quick questions because of lack of time. Even if then you do not get your questions answered, look at earlier posts. Someone could have already asked it. Or check out the tutorial thread. Then look at the included quide with Petit Computer. Look in the code of other games. Or just try to figure it out yourself. There is nothing wrong with discovery. I started like you, with no SmileBASIC knoledge whatsoever, so I know how you feel. Tons of my questions got turned down too. Just don't get angry with it. Try another route or wait.

On the other hand, If you would kindly re-post your questions, I shall try to answer the ones I can.

Great answer, @bluerobin2. Perhaps it's a good idea to re-post this answer on the tutorial thread, just in case there are many more people who cannot ask question properly.

It is frustrating trying to help people when the other person doesn't know what he's talking about. Looking at the text, the questions he asked is generic, broad, and really has no one definitive answer. You can fill a whole book trying to answer that question properly. And no, I don't believe he's a computer programmer. Computer programmer knows how to spell, right?

I think what he meant to say is that he knows certain computer languages. Certainly, there are many books on the subject. However, the thinking and problem solving skill that goes along with computer programming is lacking. I can't find any book on the subject. So, I think that's the problem. It's not computer programming skill problem, but a communication skill problem.

Unfortunately, computer programming is communication skill. It's like trying to tell a stupid box this complicated algorithm, and well, that's communication skill.

PS: I finally managed to get my Raspberry Pi to work and connect to the Internet! I'm using it now! So, which one is better? Python 2+Pygame, or Python 3 w/o Pygame?

Added Friend Code of @Bluerobin2 and @Discostew

Edited on by ramstrong

Petit Computer Journal
Old site http://ramstrong.blogspot.com

Let's just call a spade, a spade.

3DS Friend Code: 1091-7596-4855

AuthorMessage

ramstrong

3,225. Posted:

KaiserD wrote:

if it is like doom it might be entirely possible to bring it to PTC, i remember having a homebrew Doom game on my flashcard for my DSi, it wouldnt be a stretch to make it for PTC.

Also, remember, PTC is based off of DSi technology capabilities, not 3DS

I think non-textured raycasting (Think faceball) works fine. When you add other things, it will slow things down, but 16*16 faceball maze game works on GameBoy. It's not Doom and really slow, but it works.

Regarding generic 3D projection with polygons, the best I can manage is about 15-30 per second. So, it's not really feasible for Doom. Maybe okay for BattleZone type of game.

Petit Computer Journal

AuthorMessage

Xtremetdifan

3,226. Posted:

Ive heard of but never bought/played doom so is there a specific reason it was referenced to for a fps on petit computer or just a general fps?

Must beat in Pokemon battle, checklist:

3DS Friend Code: 4124-5259-4542

AuthorMessage

Zack56144

3,227. Posted:

@Morphtorok You should add more stuff to My Petit Farm! i bought everything and now theirs not much to do and my piggy bank is full so i cant get any more money lol also Add me :D My FC is in my signature
-Shadow

Im Not Purple! >:|

3DS Friend Code: 0645-5989-4801

AuthorMessage

Venks

3,228. Posted:

Quick question guys. If you have a friend with a 3DS locally can you send them the game you've made with petit computer? Or do they have to also own petit computer to play my games?

I'm a budding indie game designer! Check out my games at www.Berathen.com

Twitter: Berathen

AuthorMessage

Xtremetdifan

3,229. Posted:

Venks wrote:

Quick question guys. If you have a friend with a 3DS locally can you send them the game you've made with petit computer? Or do they have to also own petit computer to play my games?

I believe they would need the software petit computer to play your game

AuthorMessage

Xtremetdifan

3,230. Posted:

I havent watched the petit professor I just searched different sites and forums to learn, this is the first language Ive ever "learned" regarding video game codes

AuthorMessage

TexMurphy

3,231. Posted:

@Fadeintodust
I finally figured out how to shoot multiple bullets at a target and move around. Anyone that wants to use this for a game please do. I don't need credit, I just want to play the game you come up with.
Untitled

TexMurphy

AuthorMessage

Zack56144

3,232. Posted:

@randomous i know this is late but i read that MML tutorial and it helped a lot! I'm trying to port the Kingdom Hearts II Dear Beloved song (you find it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG1pRNQAByI) I cant wait till i can recreate this :D

AuthorMessage

ramstrong

3,233. Posted:

Xtremetdifan wrote:

Ive heard of but never bought/played doom so is there a specific reason it was referenced to for a fps on petit computer or just a general fps?

Doom is the first popular fps games. It ran (barely) on 386 class devices, and was such a good game, people got addicted to it. It went mainstream just like Mario, Donkey Kong, Pacman did. Even people who hasn't heard of computer games know Doom. It's in the popular culture. There have been computer programmers who did Doom the raycasting way, and I think that's wrong. Doom does not use raycasting. Castle Wolfenstein 3D did. But popular opinion of the masses does not distinguish between the two, so anytime somebody mentioned FPS, regardless whether or not it uses raycasting, people say Doom.

Petit Computer Journal

AuthorMessage

randomous

3,234. Posted:

@Zack56144 Thanks, I'm glad it helped!

...Oy, wasn't that you that asked for the Kingdom Hearts song? I'm really sorry, I've been busy. I was actually going to make it for you! After listening to a ton of different versions "Dearly Beloved", I decided to go with one of the piano versions (and maybe a string orchestra part for background). I haven't started yet, so I'll wait until you're finished with yours. I really want to hear it!

Err.. I'll add part 2 to the MML tutorial sometime. I'm just so busy!

randomous

AuthorMessage

Zack56144

3,235. Posted:

@randomous i like the KH2 Dear beloved version that one is my favorite it just sounds amazing on the piano lol but anyways my version will sound really crappy xD but im doing my best lol and its okay i forgot there was like 6 different versions of the dear beloved song lol i probably should have clarified that anyways like i said im going to try my best lol

Edited on by Zack56144

AuthorMessage

Xtremetdifan

3,236. Posted:

My game update:
Title: Night and Day
So far:
A menu, A 16-bit opening cut scene, and a work in progress battle, when I finish the (rnd) codes and 1st rpg battle i will make qr codes

AuthorMessage

Hairmanban19

3,237. Posted:

@Hale-Bopp i am looking foward to your game the most! Do you know how close you are to finishing it?

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7615-5907

AuthorMessage

Bluerobin2

3,238. Posted:

You may now view the official Tutorial site in progress at:
petitcomputercommunity.blogspot.com (working URL)

Everybody do a chirp. CHIRP.

Blog: bluerobin2.blogspot.com
Backloggery: backloggery.com/bluerobin2

3DS Friend Code: 3007-9228-5126

AuthorMessage

Hale-Bopp

3,239. Posted:

hairmanban19 wrote:

@Hale-Bopp i am looking foward to your game the most! Do you know how close you are to finishing it?

I'd say I'm roughly half-way finished. It's going slowly, because I just work on little bits of it here and there whenever I have time or the mood strikes me. I'm sure one of these days I'll finish it though and when I do, I'll be sure to post QR codes.

NNID: Hale-XF11

Twitter: HaleaciousB

AuthorMessage

Zack56144

3,240. Posted:

@bluerobin2 what happened to the cool logo? D: