Topic: Petit Computer

Posts 3,201 to 3,220 of 9,620

Hairmanban19

damolii wrote:

Anyone celebrate the anniversary of this forum?? It was like a week ago XD

A lot of us probably forgot.

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7615-5907

zeldafoursword

ok thanks everyone i just downloaded the game and i think its pretty cool! i cant wait to try other games and i hope to learn a little and program my own game

zeldafoursword

Eel

damolii wrote:

Anyone celebrate the anniversary of this forum?? It was like a week ago XD

It brings back the bitter memories of how it wasn't ME who created this thread!

Then again, I did get the first non-op comment in here!

Morphtorok wrote:

I'll buy it immediately.

I can't wait to make a harvest moon or a tamagotchi clone.

Funny how my harvest moon clone started as a tamagotchi clone. Two birds with a stone.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

zeldafoursword

Guys i dont want to sound like a noob but i got a problem, im scanning some qr codes for games, i scan all of them and every game i start to play it appears on the screen a message: "cannot locate file" and the sprites of the game appears glitchy, what should i do?

zeldafoursword

Pixelrobin

zeldafoursword wrote:

Guys i dont want to sound like a noob but i got a problem, im scanning some qr codes for games, i scan all of them and every game i start to play it appears on the screen a message: "cannot locate file" and the sprites of the game appears glitchy, what should i do?

Happened to me before. This is yours or the creators fault. Try rescanning.

Everybody do a chirp. CHIRP.

3DS Friend Code: 3007-9228-5126

Arn0ld

Noooooo!!!!!!!! Pnlstr x,y,"string" wont print anything on the lower screen.HELP.

Botw > OoT

3DS Friend Code: 0748-4970-2550 | Nintendo Network ID: Xjarnold

Hale-Bopp

Xtremetdifan wrote:

Noooooo!!!!!!!! Pnlstr x,y,"string" wont print anything on the lower screen.HELP.

Oops, I just realized you need another line. My bad.
Before that line, include the following:
PNLTYPE "OFF"
That will turn off the keyboard so you can print on the touch screen.

NNID: Hale-XF11

Twitter:

Arn0ld

The keyboard stayed and no words were printed. Petit computer is starting to annoy me. >

Botw > OoT

Hale-Bopp

Xtremetdifan wrote:

The keyboard stayed and no words were printed. Petit computer is starting to annoy me. >

I'm guessing that's because that's the only code you're running. Try inserting something like WAIT 300 on the line after PNLSTR, then execute the program so you can see the results for a period of time before the program ends and the keyboard comes back on.

NNID: Hale-XF11

Twitter:

Arn0ld

Hale-Bopp wrote:

Xtremetdifan wrote:

I'm guessing that's because that's the only code you're running. Try inserting something like WAIT 300 on the line after PNLSTR, then execute the program so you can see the results for a period of time before the program ends and the keyboard comes back on.

Hooray! It works thank you very much but one last thing how do I keep pnltype "off" and keep the text without it leaving? Btw this is for the conversation part of my game, the sprite s look like they are talking while their speech is shown on the lower screen!

Botw > OoT

Arn0ld

Discard the above post Ive worked around it

Botw > OoT

Arn0ld

Heyyyyyyy... Im not new to the website and these forums/ptc

Botw > OoT

Gimmemorecoinz

Soultic wrote:

GUYS! PLEASE! Im a new guy and i ask a few questions everyone ignores me! I tell them about my game and I cant release a demo yet everyone ignores me! YET, another guy completly new to petit computer and this website everyone answers his questions! I thought this was fun until everyone started treating me like such a NOOB! IM NOT A NOOB IM ACCUTALLY GOOD AT PROGRAMMING! Please, dont think im just whining over a person not giving an answer im talking about ALL the qeustions I asked and there back a few pages ago! LIsten I'm accutally good at programming and im planning the release of Soul, a first-person shooter, in a few weeks. thats all I wanted to say.

I'm not on here alot. you seem kinda flustered. I get like that to when people don't answer my questions. It's important to remember though if your questions aren't formed properly or very well no one will pay attention to them (I don't think I was on when you asked).
I have a question for you now. :3 Are you making it for Petit computer? I don't think Petit computer is capable of running a first person shooter.
If not, then it's probably for PC.
You say you're a good programmer. That's good. You should be able to use the Petit computer function guide then right? Or you haven't found it yet?

Petit Computer is very different from regular pc programming (I'm just going to guess that's where your strength is) because it's built on the 3DS alot of things in Petit Computer still depend on the hardware state of the 3DS. Giving you pretty well limited access to higher level functions.
I guess, a common mis perception is you can do anything in any programming language. Most modern ones. yes. Petit Computer. I wouldn't say so it has it's own limitations for instance I think there's a sprite limitation. And it will only draw pixels to your 3DS so fast as well. :/ Geometry on Petit Computer seems pretty fast.

If you have any specific questions you can also pm me about them. I might not get back to you though.

Got a project? PM ME on here!
Youtube: lostkitty64x
Want help with coding? PM ME! PM ME PM ME!! XD
FC: WIll post later.
Systems I own: ds lite, 3DS, PC/gaming, steam platform. I play alot of games. Just ask ! Minecraft anyone? :D

KaiserD

if it is like doom it might be entirely possible to bring it to PTC, i remember having a homebrew Doom game on my flashcard for my DSi, it wouldnt be a stretch to make it for PTC.

Also, remember, PTC is based off of DSi technology capabilities, not 3DS

on another note, I made new songs for my game :3

WIP:
Natura Deity - Chapter 1 - A choose your own adventure game with more emphasis on story than just the random events occuring

Hairmanban19

zeldafoursword wrote:

Either its the creators fault or there is more QR codes on the page and you have to scan those for other files in the game. Also i would recommend going to the petit computer wikia and looking for Tristones. Its a really fun sidescroller much like Terraria. If you wanna know enough BASIC to make a text adventure game i can make tutorial games on petit computer or i can post the info here. Your choice.

Hairmanban19

I posted part 2 of The Land of Trinia on the QR code forum!

Discostew

KaiserD wrote:

if it is like doom it might be entirely possible to bring it to PTC, i remember having a homebrew Doom game on my flashcard for my DSi, it wouldnt be a stretch to make it for PTC.

on another note, I made new songs for my game :3

Sad as it is, I agree that something like Doom is unlikely on PTC. We've seen raycasting programs, but they unfortunately run really slow. That's likely because of how slow access to the graphic layers are for reading/writing, not to mention running interpreted code is slow as well, neither which are a problem on DSi having direct access to hardware and code compiled for the system.

Discostew

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1477-0127 | Nintendo Network ID: Discostew

Pixelrobin

@Soultic the main reason your questions aren't being answered is because you go big. You ask us how we would go with large chunks of code and in other words, we are making some of the game/program for you. That isn't always a bad thing, but try starting smaller. Like the guy who asked how to print stuff on the bottom screen. Another reason is that it is not the job of the people of this thread to answer every question and not everyone knows everything about Petit Computer. Most of the time, the people on this thread look over to answer some quick questions because of lack of time. Even if then you do not get your questions answered, look at earlier posts. Someone could have already asked it. Or check out the tutorial thread. Then look at the included quide with Petit Computer. Look in the code of other games. Or just try to figure it out yourself. There is nothing wrong with discovery. I started like you, with no SmileBASIC knoledge whatsoever, so I know how you feel. Tons of my questions got turned down too. Just don't get angry with it. Try another route or wait.

On the other hand, If you would kindly re-post your questions, I shall try to answer the ones I can.

Everybody do a chirp. CHIRP.

3DS Friend Code: 3007-9228-5126

ramstrong

Bluerobin2 wrote:

@Soultic the main reason your questions aren't being answered is because you go big. You ask us how we would go with large chunks of code and in other words, we are making some of the game/program for you. That isn't always a bad thing, but try starting smaller. Like the guy who asked how to print stuff on the bottom screen. Another reason is that it is not the job of the people of this thread to answer every question and not everyone knows everything about Petit Computer. Most of the time, the people on this thread look over to answer some quick questions because of lack of time. Even if then you do not get your questions answered, look at earlier posts. Someone could have already asked it. Or check out the tutorial thread. Then look at the included quide with Petit Computer. Look in the code of other games. Or just try to figure it out yourself. There is nothing wrong with discovery. I started like you, with no SmileBASIC knoledge whatsoever, so I know how you feel. Tons of my questions got turned down too. Just don't get angry with it. Try another route or wait.

On the other hand, If you would kindly re-post your questions, I shall try to answer the ones I can.

Great answer, @bluerobin2. Perhaps it's a good idea to re-post this answer on the tutorial thread, just in case there are many more people who cannot ask question properly.

It is frustrating trying to help people when the other person doesn't know what he's talking about. Looking at the text, the questions he asked is generic, broad, and really has no one definitive answer. You can fill a whole book trying to answer that question properly. And no, I don't believe he's a computer programmer. Computer programmer knows how to spell, right?

I think what he meant to say is that he knows certain computer languages. Certainly, there are many books on the subject. However, the thinking and problem solving skill that goes along with computer programming is lacking. I can't find any book on the subject. So, I think that's the problem. It's not computer programming skill problem, but a communication skill problem.

Unfortunately, computer programming is communication skill. It's like trying to tell a stupid box this complicated algorithm, and well, that's communication skill.

PS: I finally managed to get my Raspberry Pi to work and connect to the Internet! I'm using it now! So, which one is better? Python 2+Pygame, or Python 3 w/o Pygame?

Added Friend Code of @Bluerobin2 and @Discostew

Edited on by ramstrong

Petit Computer Journal
Old site http://ramstrong.blogspot.com

Let's just call a spade, a spade.

3DS Friend Code: 1091-7596-4855

ramstrong

KaiserD wrote:

I think non-textured raycasting (Think faceball) works fine. When you add other things, it will slow things down, but 16*16 faceball maze game works on GameBoy. It's not Doom and really slow, but it works.

Regarding generic 3D projection with polygons, the best I can manage is about 15-30 per second. So, it's not really feasible for Doom. Maybe okay for BattleZone type of game.

Petit Computer Journal
Old site http://ramstrong.blogspot.com

Let's just call a spade, a spade.

3DS Friend Code: 1091-7596-4855

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic