Forums

Topic: Petit Computer

Posts 3,041 to 3,060 of 9,620

randomous

@Bluerobin2 I don't think so... setting a page as the visible page hides all the others, but you can copy pages and stuff, so you might be able to get away with it (probably not quickly enough to be real time though).

randomous

Pixelrobin

@randomous @Texmurphy ah, ok thanks. Ever thought what a 3ds version of petit computer would look like? Here is what I would think would be added:

• The ability to set the different layers in 3d
  • Advantage of motion controls
  • online sharing community and spotpass for getting extra games made by smileboom
  • Streetpass sharing
  • TALK (yup)
  • advantage of camera controls
  • ability to create files from pictures on the system ie. external picture editing
  • Share your game with others who do not have PTC via dowload play
  • support for original PTC games
  • Better, higher definition graphics

ahem. hint hint Smileboom
we're waiting

Edited on by Pixelrobin

Everybody do a chirp. CHIRP.

3DS Friend Code: 3007-9228-5126

Lego-Meister

I have a problem with a GOSUB command. I used it on a menu and for some reason after you select stuff for a while it errors with OUT OF MEMORY. What does this mean on a GOSUB command?

Some programmers pride themselves on how many more lines of code they can write. I pride myself on how many less.

3DS Friend Code: 3652-1447-0455 | Nintendo Network ID: Legos-Meister

randomous

@Lego-Meister GOSUBS jump to locations from which you'd like to RETURN from, as opposed to GOTOs which jump without any desire of returning to the place you jumped from. Kind of like this:

The GOSUB way:

CODE
CODE
CODE
GOSUB -> CODE CODE CODE RETURN
CODE <- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -|
CODE
CODE

The GOTO way:

CODE
CODE
CODE
GOTO -> CODE CODE CODE ....
??? (we don't come back to this code)

If you think of your code as an office building, GOSUBs are like going down to the fax room, sending some faxes, and then returning to your office (who sends faxes anymore?). GOTOs are like getting a new office and continuing your work there instead. Hope that helps!

Oops, I forgot, the reason why you're getting Out of Memory errors is probably because you're continuously calling GOSUB but you never RETURN.

randomous

Pixelrobin

Ah yes I also forgot:

• Analog Circle Pad Input
  • Microphone

I have a question though. Can you preform a SPANIM backwards? My mining game will feature a protagonist robot that transforms. But I need him to transform back as well.

Everybody do a chirp. CHIRP.

3DS Friend Code: 3007-9228-5126

Lego-Meister

Yeah, PTC 3DS would be cool. Circle Pad Pro support would be cool to.

Some programmers pride themselves on how many more lines of code they can write. I pride myself on how many less.

Lego-Meister

randomous wrote:

@Lego-Meister GOSUBS jump to locations from which you'd like to RETURN from, as opposed to GOTOs which jump without any desire of returning to the place you jumped from. Kind of like this:

The GOSUB way:

CODE
CODE
CODE
GOSUB -> CODE CODE CODE RETURN
CODE <- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -|
CODE
CODE

The GOTO way:

CODE
CODE
CODE
GOTO -> CODE CODE CODE ....
??? (we don't come back to this code)

If you think of your code as an office building, GOSUBs are like going down to the fax room, sending some faxes, and then returning to your office (who sends faxes anymore?). GOTOs are like getting a new office and continuing your work there instead. Hope that helps!

Oops, I forgot, the reason why you're getting Out of Memory errors is probably because you're continuously calling GOSUB but you never RETURN.

Thanks.

Klimbatize

@Lego-Meister That is one of the raddest avatars I've ever seen.

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

3DS FC: 1332 7785 4494

Lego-Meister

Thx. We all know Boba Fett is the best bounty hunter ever.

Lego-Meister

When Flipnote Studio 3D comes out, maybe we could share QR's on there.

Eel

Oh hey, I remembered that one minute contest and I noticed Coral Maze was among the nominees/winners(?). With a note in english about the joy of working together.
http://smileboom.com/special/ptcm2/co_contest/index.php

I don't know if that's old news but... Awesome!

I think there's also another game or two from here in there too! But my japanese is... Nonexistent.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Fadeintodust

What's this whole Hexidecimal notation and Binary notions about?
I noticed it after seeing the &H and &B things in the manual, and later saw &H in unclesporky's DQ map thingee, and, I got curious.

Fadeintodust

Discostew

@Morphtorok

I was looking at many of those entries, but something doesn't seem right. Not the nominees or winners, but the games themselves. Is it my imagination, or are there games that are using custom sprites "on the bottom screen"? I thought those were fixed and could not be altered?

EDIT:

Just did a little research, and I guess I was wrong. You can alter them. Rather than being "SPUxL" (kinda like how BGUxU is upper screen and BGUxL is lower screen), sprites on the lower screen take a different name. "SPSx" to be precise, and it ranged only by 2 (SPS0 and SPS1) whereas SPUx ranges to 8.

Edited on by Discostew

Discostew

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1477-0127 | Nintendo Network ID: Discostew

Eel

Discostew wrote:

@Morphtorok

I was looking at many of those entries, but something doesn't seem right. Not the nominees or winners, but the games themselves. Is it my imagination, or are there games that are using custom sprites "on the bottom screen"? I thought those were fixed and could not be altered?

I think I remember someone mentioning a way to load custom sprites for the bottom screen, however I haven't been pretty active with Petit Computer lately so I can't really say for sure.

There are other workarounds to do that though, like using graphics and backgrounds as sprites.

Bloop.

Eel

randomous wrote:

@Morphtorok What was with the long absence?

A normal loss of interest combined with the acquisition of other games.

I also try not to open apps unless I plan to use them for long periods of time, I somehow feel it messes with my activity log if I just go opening my games to play only 3 minutes. That means I won't be playing PC unless I have something meaningful to do with it.

I'll probably regain my interest sooner or later. This is still the most played software on my 3DS even if I haven't used it in a long time.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

ramstrong

Morphtorok wrote:

Oh hey, I remembered that one minute contest and I noticed Coral Maze was among the nominees/winners(?). With a note in english about the joy of working together.

I think there's also another game or two from here in there too! But my japanese is... Nonexistent.

Woo hoo! Winner! Awesome! Good job everybody! I see Temple Raid is there too, but I don't see the puzzle slider. There is a survival game, but I don't think it's ours, the one designed on tape?

Hey bluerobin2. Congrats! And if there's no more changes desired, do you mind putting Coral Maze on the wiki? I'll put up an entry on my blog, as well.

I just resigned my current job. Won't be looking until September, so I'll be able to have some time in helping the tutorial. Last few weeks have been hectic. Still have to get home, but sometime soon I'll be back doing Petit Computer. Morphtorok is busy doing Animal Crossing ATM. So am I. Very addictive game!

Petit Computer Journal
Old site http://ramstrong.blogspot.com

Let's just call a spade, a spade.

3DS Friend Code: 1091-7596-4855

ramstrong

Discostew wrote:

Is it my imagination, or are there games that are using custom sprites "on the bottom screen"? I thought those were fixed and could not be altered?

EDIT:

Just did a little research, and I guess I was wrong. You can alter them. Rather than being "SPUxL" (kinda like how BGUxU is upper screen and BGUxL is lower screen), sprites on the lower screen take a different name. "SPSx" to be precise, and it ranged only by 2 (SPS0 and SPS1) whereas SPUx ranges to 8.

Hmmm. That's news to me. I think this should be reposted on Tutorial thread. This kind of info is extremely useful!

Petit Computer Journal
Old site http://ramstrong.blogspot.com

Let's just call a spade, a spade.

3DS Friend Code: 1091-7596-4855

Eel

ramstrong wrote:

Morphtorok wrote:

Woo hoo! Winner! Awesome! Good job everybody! I see Temple Raid is there too, but I don't see the puzzle slider. There is a survival game, but I don't think it's ours, the one designed on tape?

Hey bluerobin2. Congrats! And if there's no more changes desired, do you mind putting Coral Maze on the wiki? I'll put up an entry on my blog, as well.

I just resigned my current job. Won't be looking until September, so I'll be able to have some time in helping the tutorial. Last few weeks have been hectic. Still have to get home, but sometime soon I'll be back doing Petit Computer. Morphtorok is busy doing Animal Crossing ATM. So am I. Very addictive game!

Yeah I noticed the glaring lack of my Puzzle game , but hey! My username is still there!

I could recognize Coral Maze, Temple Raid and the game where you protect the chest from the monsters, if I remember correctly the creator added an auto-japanese mode to it so I'm positive that's his. That means 3 points for Nintendo Life's PC community.

And yeah! Animal Crossing is pretty time consuming!

Bloop.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic